Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

fknlo posted:

It's your duty to spread these.

It’s gonna be ugly.

beep-beep car is go posted:

I get the impression that lots of people learning to fly are intimidated by the radio and like flying from uncontrolled fields. A: is that a thing or just my impression from youtube yahoos and old Boomers? For me, learning the radio seems the most interesting part. I'd love to get good at using and communicating over the radio THEN learn to drive the plane. I have a feeling though you have to learn them both at the same time.

Yeah, crusty old boomer GA pilots are the worst. Learn at a towered field. I learned to fly at a sleepy class c airport and boy did that set me up for success going forward. Later on teaching and watching students struggle to make the transition from untowered to towered was a lesson in frustration. Then going back to teach at the same airport I learned at and watching how much easier it was for students to pick it up when they didn’t know any different was night and day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I really enjoy working the radio. Rattling everything off precisely and cleanly makes me feel like a badass fighter pilot. It was intimidating at first, particularly since where I'm flying we've got a bravo airport, two charlies, and seven deltas within 50 miles, but I certainly got a ton of radio practice really quickly as a result and now it's fun.

It also gets less intimidating when you realize how many people are, as you suggest, really bad with the radios and constantly ummmm and uhhhhhhh and miss calls and are barely intelligible and so the fact that you forgot the runway number in your clearance at first and tacked it on at the end of your call is really not that bad.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
The day I stop sounding like an idiot on the radio is the day I retire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

It’s gonna be ugly.

Ugly can mean anything from pilot suicide to "Deadly Boeing Empennage 2: 767 Boogaloo"

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

Ugly can mean anything from pilot suicide to "Deadly Boeing Empennage 2: 767 Boogaloo"

Gross pilot error, supposedly the FO had a training folder a mile thick. That’s all I’ll get into.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

e.pilot posted:

Gross pilot error, supposedly the FO had a training folder a mile thick. That’s all I’ll get into.

Ooof, thats perfect for feeding the rumor mill.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

I get the impression that lots of people learning to fly are intimidated by the radio and like flying from uncontrolled fields. A: is that a thing or just my impression from youtube yahoos and old Boomers? For me, learning the radio seems the most interesting part. I'd love to get good at using and communicating over the radio THEN learn to drive the plane. I have a feeling though you have to learn them both at the same time.

It's something a lot of people struggle with, since the format (who you're calling, who you are, where you are, what you want) is a little odd, and there's a ton of phraseology that is confusing as hell to people learning to fly. What e.pilot said about learning to fly at a towered airport (or in an environment where you're frequently interacting with one) is 100% correct, since it's way easier to learn the radio stuff from day 1 than to have to un-learn a bunch of bad habits and then re-learn the right way after you already got your license.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

e.pilot posted:

Where else is Amazon going to find pilots to work for free?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sperglord posted:

Did Europe outlaw the cadet program scam?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Sperglord posted:

There's always the "indentured servitude" model that Chinese airlines use for the students they send to the US.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There’s always the “true believer” model that Saudi Arabian construction heirs use for the students they send to the U.S..

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

It was really nerve-wracking the first time I clicked the button. So much so that I forgot what I was going to say. It was nbd after getting off my first unfuckedup transmission.

And yeah it's a great way to feel like a badass fighter pilot in a tiny little plane twice as old as you with less power under the hood than the car you drove there in.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

azflyboy posted:

Cirrus got their product to market first (by about a year) and were much better at marketing than Columbia/Cessna.

It really is amazing how they cornered the market. Your options for "going places" 4 seat certified piston singles built after the year 2000 are Cirrus, the Columbia and pretty much nothing else. Socata stopped selling their TB series few years after the SR20 came on the market.

Old airplanes get a lot of credit because engine and avionics overhauls can keep them flying, but every part and piece of plastic trim on them is old too and keeping up with that sort of thing is a pain in the rear end if you care about the small details. I share a Grumman with another guy at the moment and it's a capable airplane but keeping it in one piece is a fair bit of work. An SR20/22 or RV10 has a lot of appeal.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 31, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if you don’t fly a Cri Cri

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ZGhPZEkZ0

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

sanchez posted:

It really is amazing how they cornered the market. Your options for "going places" 4 seat certified piston singles built after the year 2000 are Cirrus, the Columbia and pretty much nothing else. Socata stopped selling their TB series few years after the SR20 came on the market.

DA-40?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

I mean, you can go places but the W&B is a lot trickier than a Cirrus, and you're looking at 135 true rather than 170 true (or 200 true at altitude in a 22T).

Super fun to fly though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
DA40 is still one of my all time favorite single engine piston planes I’ve flown.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I had someone in a Cirrus a week or two ago that had a super whammy combo of filing through terrain that was higher than they said the aircraft could fly while also not having any oxygen onboard so they couldn't even hit the lower minimum altitudes that wouldn't have worked anyway since there were thunderstorms everywhere.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Sounds like a poorly conceived suicide attempt.

Somewhat related:

Went up in a glider last week. Loved it, despite feeling sick the whole time. Same airfield does engined aircraft training at a similar price so I'm trying that this weekend. Might be a pain in the rear end air hole puncher soon. If I can get over my air sickness I'd do gliders for preference. It's just weird and fun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

Sounds like a poorly conceived suicide attempt.

You warn any controller that's relieving you that the person is trying to kill themselves. Unrecorded of course.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
When I was instructing, I once had to talk a student out of buying a brand new Cessna TTX to learn in.

The guy had some seriously questionable judgement (he once asked me if I had recommendations for hookers), and I wasn't sure my personal liability policy would cover trying to teach a student pilot in a $750k, 200+kt airplane, since there's a serious argument that it would be negligence on my part to try and do so.

Eventually, I managed to convince the guy that learning to fly in a TTX was going to take much longer and be a lot more expensive than learning on something like a 172 (on top of whatever horrible things that would do to the engine), and he backed off, but it was a bizarre conversation to have.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

You warn any controller that's relieving you that the person is trying to kill themselves. Unrecorded of course.

There are always two briefings.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

MrYenko posted:

There are always two briefings.

Any particular anecdotes of such that are fun enough to share?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sagebrush posted:

I really enjoy working the radio. Rattling everything off precisely and cleanly makes me feel like a badass fighter pilot. It was intimidating at first, particularly since where I'm flying we've got a bravo airport, two charlies, and seven deltas within 50 miles, but I certainly got a ton of radio practice really quickly as a result and now it's fun.

It also gets less intimidating when you realize how many people are, as you suggest, really bad with the radios and constantly ummmm and uhhhhhhh and miss calls and are barely intelligible and so the fact that you forgot the runway number in your clearance at first and tacked it on at the end of your call is really not that bad.

Good news, you get to relive the horrible awkwardness on the radio as soon as you start an instrument rating.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

azflyboy posted:

(he once asked me if I had recommendations for hookers)

... Well do you? :confused:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

I still remember flying in to West Palm Beach and my instructor was talking about how around busy airspace, you want to be extra sure that your comms are quick and concise so you're not wasting everyone's time. As if on cue, some guy comes up with: "Hey, uhh, Palm Beach tower, this is, uhh, November one two, uhh, three four five, uhh, currently about, eh, 15, maybe uhh, maybe 20 miles to the, uhh, south, a little southwest, and uhh, I was, uhh, just calling to, uhh, see if I could, uhh, you know, get the, uhh, local... altimeter setting."

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's usually just stuff like that or poo poo talking surrounding sectors/facilities. Then you get into the regular occurrence of having to pause the briefing because people start talking about dicks or whatever.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I still remember flying in to West Palm Beach and my instructor was talking about how around busy airspace, you want to be extra sure that your comms are quick and concise so you're not wasting everyone's time. As if on cue, some guy comes up with: "Hey, uhh, Palm Beach tower, this is, uhh, November one two, uhh, three four five, uhh, currently about, eh, 15, maybe uhh, maybe 20 miles to the, uhh, south, a little southwest, and uhh, I was, uhh, just calling to, uhh, see if I could, uhh, you know, get the, uhh, local... altimeter setting."

Read this to yourself, slowly, in a Indian or heavy Spanish accent and you know what my life is like flying out of PBI.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Timmy Age 6 posted:

*official, recorded briefing*
*click the briefing off or unplug which accomplished the same thing, and without pausing, point at the scope,*

“See this guy? Dude doesn’t speak a lick of English, has been trying to get with every target on the scope, doesn’t acknowledge weather calls, and has been requesting five-hundred-foot altitude changes every five miles.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Those panhead screws....

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

e.pilot posted:

The day I stop sounding like an idiot on the radio is the day I retire.

The few times I did transmit over the radio, I would go completely stupid in a heart beat despite knowing exactly what to say.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I still do that sometimes.

3-1 now being replaced almost wholesale by loving Navy comm standards isn't helping.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
last time I flew with the chief pilot I managed to completely lose my train of thought 1/2 way through the transmission but did not release the key

it happens

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I'm only a ham radio operator but the only way you'll get comfortable using the radio is by using it. I had to force myself to key up and actually talk on the local repeater back when I got started.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I made my instructor laugh while the mic was keyed when I replied to Approach that I had "Information Indigo".

Radio work was rough for a while since you have sensory overload when first learning. I could barely form words to reply to questions from my instructor that I knew the answer to let alone make a coherent radio call while flying. It definitely got better and having a sheet of examples with me for the usual calls really helped.

What I later struggled with was bad reception flying in the Southern Utah/Nevada mountains trying to get class B clearance when I couldn't clearly hear their responses until I was practically past the boundary. One time a plane ahead of me noticed I couldn't make out their message and in his response to ATC emphasized the info I was missing for me to hear to which I was really grateful.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The startup exhaust looks much more reactive than any air-start I've seen. It's probably a mono-propellant like on earlier fighters.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones
I learned to fly in gliders, with no radio whatsoever. When I did my SEL ("normal" light aircraft) training I used radio simulator software. Huge help. Also spent a fair amount of time at work just listening to a live tower feed. When you hear how badly some people screw it up it becomes less intimidating.

I also picked up the habit of announcing myself as a student if I was stressed sufficiently that I felt I might make a mistake. It would make people a little more understanding of any hesitations I had.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Are biplanes just a quirky thing people get into to do aerobatics nowadays or do people train & fly in them pretty regularly?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

david_a posted:

Are biplanes just a quirky thing people get into to do aerobatics nowadays or do people train & fly in them pretty regularly?

Biplanes are in regular operations in some niche cases like An-2 for paradrops and Grumman Ag-Cat for crop dusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

david_a posted:

They’re not that common. 99.999999% of planes that people train in are Cessna 152/172s or Piper Cherokees.