Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

SubG posted:

portable soup

I remember this from the Townsends YouTube channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anakha posted:

I remember this from the Townsends YouTube channel.

That's a cool channel

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a mid-19th century German recipe. I think I’m gonna make it when I return home.

I did the Shop Life tour at the NYC Tenement Museum, which is a recreation of an 1870s German beer saloon on the Lower East Side, with only 3 other people at the end of the day. The tour guide was new and had a lot of trouble answering questions about the food and drink of the time, so I helped out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Never heard of that, but it sounds delicious. When's it from?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Walnut Ketchup is also a British thing, Mrs. Beeton's has a recipe for it which is largely similar.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Xiahou Dun posted:

Never heard of that, but it sounds delicious. When's it from?

First edition of the book is from 1845. Praktisches Kochbuch.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Huh. That's not that old. I have family recipes way older than that so it's weird that hasn't come up.

Also it's pretty salient, but just in case to anyone wondering, the title means "Practical Cookbook".

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Xiahou Dun posted:

Huh. That's not that old. I have family recipes way older than that so it's weird that hasn't come up.
/
Also it's pretty salient, but just in case to anyone wondering, the title means "Practical Cookbook".

I assure you I am very practical when I Koch a buch, thank you

e: also hi, this is the best thread and I enjoy reading about ancient ketchups

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I was assuming the umlaut got lost somewhere in the journey to the thread lol.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a mid-19th century German recipe. I think I’m gonna make it when I return home.

I did the Shop Life tour at the NYC Tenement Museum, which is a recreation of an 1870s German beer saloon on the Lower East Side, with only 3 other people at the end of the day. The tour guide was new and had a lot of trouble answering questions about the food and drink of the time, so I helped out.

This sounds dope as hell: I guess one should assume they used white wine vinegar?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Does it actually taste like walnuts?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

packetmantis posted:

Does it actually taste like walnuts?

I've made walnut ketchup and the answer is kind of but not how you expect

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I made that milk punch and it's amazing! I seriously recommend that you try it because it tastes simply like nothing else. The Batavia arrack, port, black tea, and creamy texture of the whey proteins all combine into something entirely unlike what you may be expecting, and the clarity of the liquid almost makes you think you're about to get some kind of juice before the flavor and texture hits you.

quote:

1 cup (235ml) whole milk

2 cups (470ml) brewed black tea

⅔ cup (150ml) Batavia Arrack

⅔ cup (150ml) ruby port

⅓ cup (85g) sugar

⅓ cup (75ml) lemon juice

Add milk to a large glass bowl and set aside

Mix remaining ingredients into a pitcher

Slowly pour tea mixture into the milk and gently stir until it curdles. Allow to set, preferably overnight

Strain through a nut milk bag or cheese cloth to collect the curds

Strain a second time through the curds, taking care not to disturb them

Strain through a coffee filter, then store in a sealed bottle in the fridge

Serve in a chilled rocks glass over ice

I used coffee filters over a mesh strainer because I didn't wait long enough before straining, so the curds hadn't separated sufficiently. It greatly reduced the volume but worked well for getting a pure, creamy liquid.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

chitoryu12 posted:

Do you get to drink recreation 1870s beers in the saloon? If so, that sounds rad.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pontius Pilate posted:

Do you get to drink recreation 1870s beers in the saloon? If so, that sounds rad.

Unfortunately no, but a nearby bar had a kellerbier on tap, which is what would have been sold around the time!

skrapp mettle
Mar 17, 2007

If any of you homebrew and want to try older recipes, check out Ron Pattison's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com He posts historic recipes fairly often.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skrapp mettle posted:

If any of you homebrew and want to try older recipes, check out Ron Pattison's blog, Shut Up About Barclay Perkins: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com He posts historic recipes fairly often.

His blog and books are great resources.

I'd also recommend Bronzed Brews by Peter Symons for a historical beer and brewing book with an Australian focus.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CleverHans posted:

This sounds dope as hell: I guess one should assume they used white wine vinegar?

Might also be malt, or apple cider, thinking of different typical boozes for different regions of Germany.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

chitoryu12 posted:

Also, I made that milk punch and it's amazing! I seriously recommend that you try it because it tastes simply like nothing else. The Batavia arrack, port, black tea, and creamy texture of the whey proteins all combine into something entirely unlike what you may be expecting, and the clarity of the liquid almost makes you think you're about to get some kind of juice before the flavor and texture hits you.

I used coffee filters over a mesh strainer because I didn't wait long enough before straining, so the curds hadn't separated sufficiently. It greatly reduced the volume but worked well for getting a pure, creamy liquid.

I've seen a few cocktails that start with a milk punch like this and it sounds like just the sort of thing I want to try. Where did you even get Batavia Arrack from?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

I've seen a few cocktails that start with a milk punch like this and it sounds like just the sort of thing I want to try. Where did you even get Batavia Arrack from?

I found it at a liquor store in Astoria in NYC. Total Wine and other stores with an excellent international selection have your highest chance of getting it, but it's a toss-up depending on where you are.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pontius Pilate posted:

No booze. But it's a fun tour.

When I did the tour I went to McSorley's straight afterwards

https://mcsorleysoldalehouse.nyc/

Carillon
May 9, 2014

CzarChasm posted:

If you're in Chicago I know the larger Binny's will have a few options as well! As I'm sure you know, make sure it's not the anise version from Turkey.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is the brand to look for:

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

chitoryu12 posted:

This is the brand to look for:

I don’t suppose anyone has a source in the UK, or a good substitute? Google seems to suggest that everyone either is out of stock or wants £35+ for it, which seems rather steep.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vindolanda posted:

I don’t suppose anyone has a source in the UK, or a good substitute? Google seems to suggest that everyone either is out of stock or wants £35+ for it, which seems rather steep.

That's a pretty normal price. It can be $30-40 depending on your location in the US because it's a niche product that they're the only real supplier for overseas. The only proper substitute is a different brand of Batavia arrack due to its unique flavor (a sort of spicy, smoky, funky cross between rum and tequila is the best way to describe it), which is going to be way harder to find than Van Oosten.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

chitoryu12 posted:

That's a pretty normal price. It can be $30-40 depending on your location in the US because it's a niche product that they're the only real supplier for overseas. The only proper substitute is a different brand of Batavia arrack due to its unique flavor (a sort of spicy, smoky, funky cross between rum and tequila is the best way to describe it), which is going to be way harder to find than Van Oosten.

Fair, I was seeing it for $29.99 as in the link below and thought that was normal for the US.
https://www.warehousewinesandspirits.com/spirits/Batavia-Arrack-Van-Oosten-w6620197jz
That’s only £25 or so and puts it in line with Goslings or Mount Gay rum, the only correct rum punch ingredients.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mount Gay Eclipse is absolutely my go-to for rum punches.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

'Take a shot of sweet smooth gay' is a criminally underused phrase.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Wahey! A Cook Back In Time is available legally on youtube! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb2X9QXhdvI This one's all about roman cooking.

Absolute History is a pro subscribe, they are licensing a ton of good documentaries and putting them on Youtube. I wonder if that's a sustainable business model.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've decided that my next historic recipe is going to be a medieval pottage. This is a simple stew made from grain (usually oats and/or barley, supplemented with legumes and peas in lean times) and whatever vegetables and locally foraged herbs you had, with some meat and cheese if you had it. Along with bread, this was the staple food of medieval Europe.

My goal is to make a sort of "lucky peasant's pottage", reflecting something a farmer would have made if he was having a good day. The only problem is that these were usually made without a recipe at all, with the written down pottage recipes being the food for nobles and full of meat and spice mixtures. This means I'm going to have to rely a lot on taste and texture to make sure it's thickened enough and seasoned correctly.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
A few weeks ago I had a mostly-full bottle of wine I'd bought for cooking with, and no real plans for it, so I decided to use it to make a rosemary hippocras, a kind of medieval spiced wine.

Here you can see my (decidedly non-medieval!) ingredients, with the exception of the rosemary. The recipe I'm using here comes from Peter Brears' Cooking and Dining in Tudor and Early Stuart England, and is a slightly adapted version of the medieval original. Modern spices are stronger than what would have been available in a medieval kitchen, and following the original quantities apparently produces something rather undrinkable, so the quantities have been cut slightly.

This is the hippocras before and after spending a few days in the fridge to infuse and settle.

Here's the finished hippocras, having been strained through some muslin (apologies for my lovely photography). By this point, a lot of the rosemary flavour has faded, but it's developed into a sort of background floral flavour. This is kind of an easy comparison, but it reminds me of a Sauternes. Unlike mulled wine, it's not heated at any point so it retains all of its alcohol content, and it's considerably less sweet (though still fairly sweet), which makes for a much more refreshing drink. This apparantly used to be served before the main meal instead of after, as sweet wines are nowadays, and I could see that working.

Anyway, it went down well enough with my grandmother that she asked me to make a bottle or two for her birthday. I'm definitely going to be making the rosemary hippocras again, but I might try cutting the infusing time to see if the rosemary flavour comes through stronger, and maybe try a different recipe. We've still got a few roses in our garden, so I might try a rose hippocras.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've decided that my next historic recipe is going to be a medieval pottage. This is a simple stew made from grain (usually oats and/or barley, supplemented with legumes and peas in lean times) and whatever vegetables and locally foraged herbs you had, with some meat and cheese if you had it. Along with bread, this was the staple food of medieval Europe.

My goal is to make a sort of "lucky peasant's pottage", reflecting something a farmer would have made if he was having a good day. The only problem is that these were usually made without a recipe at all, with the written down pottage recipes being the food for nobles and full of meat and spice mixtures. This means I'm going to have to rely a lot on taste and texture to make sure it's thickened enough and seasoned correctly.

That sounds cool! A thick grain-based stew sounds pretty good now that we're heading into autumn. Out of curiosity, apart from the ones you listed, what sort of flavourings would a medieval farmer have had access to? Spices seem like they were too distinctive of upper-class cooking to have been widely available, but do you know what sort of access they would have had to sweeteners, vinegar, and so forth?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I bought some long pepper because it came up in the Roman history thread. It’s a relative of black pepper.

It’s delicious on avocado toast.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't a grain-based stew just oatmeal, or does it have more water?

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

packetmantis posted:

Isn't a grain-based stew just oatmeal, or does it have more water?

Oatmeal is just that: oats. Sounds like the pottages can use a variety of grains and can have a variety of other tasty additions.

I would guess the texture is a little on the looser side from thick oatmeal.

If you thin it out further it turns into gruel, which you may know from such great hits as: "keeping vast swaths of humanity from starving to death for thousands of years".

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CleverHans posted:

Oatmeal is just that: oats. Sounds like the pottages can use a variety of grains and can have a variety of other tasty additions.

I would guess the texture is a little on the looser side from thick oatmeal.
Pottage originally meant more or less literally whatever you had on hand, thrown into your cook pot, and boiled until it could be drunk.

For most of the Middle Ages for most people `whatever you had on hand' was overwhelmingly wheat, barley, oats, rye, or some mixture of one or more of the above. The exact kinds of grain you were likely to have, how much you were likely to have, and what else you might have in addition to them varied by region and time. Broadly speaking, before the Black Death (which created a huge labour shortage and therefore caused massive changes in European economics, patterns of land use and animal husbandry, and consequently in typical diet) unless you were a well-off member of the gentry (and 99% of people were not) then by far most of your calories (80% or more, depending on where you were and how well off you were) came from grain, with oats and rye being more common for most peasants than wheat or barley, and wheat disproportionately being consumed by the well-off.

Most of the non-grain calories would come from veg grown in your own garden: onions, cabbage, and that kind of thing. Consumption of other stuff---fish, poultry, and so on, would depend a lot of where you lived. In most of England, for example, the majority of your entire household's consumption of meat would likely consist of two sides of pork per year (and the hog you got them from would be much smaller than a modern commercially-farmed hog).

In the later Middle Ages you were more likely to get more desirable grains (e.g. wheat), you were more likely to consume some of it as ale or bread, and you were more likely to have access to more meat. Starting near the end of the Middle Ages (roughly the mid 14th Century, but depending again on where you were) you might have access to a butcher, and be able to trade for meat as well as offal and bones, and start making what I think most people imagine as Medieaval peasant stew, and at some point in here the usage of `pottage' shifted away from `whatever you have, boiled until you can swallow it' and into the sort of rustic soup thing that it is generally taken to mean today.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Oatmeal with meat. Oatmeat.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Could one make a meatmeal?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RandomPauI posted:

Could one make a meatmeal?

Bonemeal and bloodmeal are both fertilisers.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

packetmantis posted:

Oatmeal with meat. Oatmeat.
Like a banger? Or haggis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation
Folks were talking about walnut sauces/ketchups before and they were actually attempts to recreate fish sauce by people who couldn't afford it, since it was literally the most valuable trade commodity on earth at the time.