Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was gonna say nothing but “Kamen Rider Beast Morphers”, but there’s a certain sort of flavor to the madness that gives me the nagging suspicion this series is being directed with an overseas focus. There’s an inkling of the sort of self-serious swagger that Power Rangers started with and often refuses to ever really give up no matter how many curveballs Sentai threw. That sort of rigged-backed refusal to acknowledge the inherent campiness of toku (I guess because Marvel movies don’t or whatever) has sort of been one of the hallmarks of the current PR era, and consequently why there’s so much nostalgia over the Disney years. And 01’s whole mechanical beast design where they’re not cutesy and apparently not gonna talk or do much in the way of being kawaii is a very “western toku adaption” road to take.

Of course I get that Rider has been serious for years at times, but not so much in the gimmick design. That one episode of Build is amazing, but Sento’s war trauma comes from a suit that pops out of a machine with a kitchen timer ‘ding!’ It is, as a gimmick, goofy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Craptacular! posted:

I was gonna say nothing but “Kamen Rider Beast Morphers”, but there’s a certain sort of flavor to the madness that gives me the nagging suspicion this series is being directed with an overseas focus. There’s an inkling of the sort of self-serious swagger that Power Rangers started with and often refuses to ever really give up no matter how many curveballs Sentai threw. That sort of rigged-backed refusal to acknowledge the inherent campiness of toku (I guess because Marvel movies don’t or whatever) has sort of been one of the hallmarks of the current PR era, and consequently why there’s so much nostalgia over the Disney years. And 01’s whole mechanical beast design where they’re not cutesy and apparently not gonna talk or do much in the way of being kawaii is a very “western toku adaption” road to take.

Of course I get that Rider has been serious for years at times, but not so much in the gimmick design. That one episode of Build is amazing, but Sento’s war trauma comes from a suit that pops out of a machine with a kitchen timer ‘ding!’ It is, as a gimmick, goofy.

The crazy belt gimmicks only really started with OOO. the Zero-One Driver doesn't seem notably more serious than, like, W or Blade or Den-O or even Kabuto.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gripweed posted:

The crazy belt gimmicks only really started with OOO. the Zero-One Driver doesn't seem notably more serious than, like, W or Blade or Den-O or even Kabuto.

I meant that robo grasshopper is crazy, but it’s a crazy stupid thing presented quite seriously compared to, say, Rabbit/Rabbit’s mechanical bunny making cartoonish jumping noises.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Craptacular! posted:

Well I think it being so gaudy and goofy is where the real trauma comes from. Like being a afraid of dogs.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Craptacular! posted:

I meant that robo grasshopper is crazy, but it’s a crazy stupid thing presented quite seriously compared to, say, Rabbit/Rabbit’s mechanical bunny making cartoonish jumping noises.

There are the Microsoft Sam voices.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
tone isn't real and the belt in Build screaming "ARE YOU READY?" the same exact goofy way it has all year to a man about to tear his own body apart atom-by-atom is one of the greatest television moments of the last 10 years

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was so good precisely because he was directly responding to the voice in a terse but ready acceptance of his own death

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Something silly can be used for serious stuff once you've acclimated to it. See: Most of DBZ Abridged.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Waffleman_ posted:

It was so good precisely because he was directly responding to the voice in a terse but ready acceptance of his own death

it'a called bathos and it's the only good thing in fiction

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Super Goofy jingles bedoel dramatic moments own.
Like the overlapping chaos of Perfect Knockout and Hyper Muteki before that beat down.

Grease Blizzard is probably the best one though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
ZIO45

I'm enjoying the insane ride and cameos, but holy hell are they going with powers as the plot demands it and then forgetting it when they would need them the most.

Episode 44 with the beat down of Grand ZIO and Geiz Revive. Geitz, you're faster than them. How about summoning some riders and evening the numbers Sougo?
And Heure always forgetting he can stop time.

Episode 45:
Sougo being amazed as Schwartz summoning riders despite he himself also being capable of doing that.
Heure, you can stop time. Stop running.
Tsukasa can keep his powers. (to be fair, I can get behind that if only to see Tsukasa beinga dick some more.)
Tsukuyomi can apparently take her powers back using her stolen powers despite barely understanding how her powers worked before being stolen? :psyduck:

At least Ora still acts in character with being petty and self serving.You really didn't see her betraying you coming Heure? After she killed Sougo's love interest after she was beaten (though I guess everyone forgot about her like Sougo) and used you as a guinea pig back in the Kikai arc?

I guess another Drive didn't give the Drive ridewatch?

IWAE, White Woz is back. And using Geitz as a catalyst for that is pretty smart.

We have like 5 episodes to go and I'm still confused about what Schwarts wants. He wants to be king of time and this will help him somehow. I look forward to the insane exposition that's coming.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

tone isn't real and the belt in Build screaming "ARE YOU READY?" the same exact goofy way it has all year to a man about to tear his own body apart atom-by-atom is one of the greatest television moments of the last 10 years

The death of gold drive using the axe saying "go" to punctuate a son killing his belt of a father is also amazing. He died as he lived: a belt

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Leave these two goobs in a room and this is what happens

https://twitter.com/krshitpost/status/1157341596620328960

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Saw the Ryusoul/Zi-O movie today! Ryusoul was fine, Canalo was there but confusingly not present in the plot so maybe he was added in last minute.

Zi-O felt like two different movies shoved together and neither was very good. Da Pump all in Woz style was rad but other than a couple moments with Barlackx or whatever the gently caress his name is there was not much in the way of interesting uses of the extra Heisei rider powers. Overall disappointing until RIGHT AT THE END when it goes loving bonkers with the previously mentioned surprise cameos and finally!! - Instead of just showing up to kick bad guys and explode in their base forms, all of the cameo riders use their Final Forms! Then they all kick through the air with their logos streaming behind them and kick a giant HEISEI kanji into the big bad's Biorider shield. That part was cool as hell and redeemed everything stupid until then.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Saw the Ryusoul/Zi-O movie today! Ryusoul was fine, Canalo was there but confusingly not present in the plot so maybe he was added in last minute.

Zi-O felt like two different movies shoved together and neither was very good. Da Pump all in Woz style was rad but other than a couple moments with Barlackx or whatever the gently caress his name is there was not much in the way of interesting uses of the extra Heisei rider powers. Overall disappointing until RIGHT AT THE END when it goes loving bonkers with the previously mentioned surprise cameos and finally!! - Instead of just showing up to kick bad guys and explode in their base forms, all of the cameo riders use their Final Forms! Then they all kick through the air with their logos streaming behind them and kick a giant HEISEI kanji into the big bad's Biorider shield. That part was cool as hell and redeemed everything stupid until then.

Does it top the last movie where we go all twenty riders using their actual finishers (well, all but a few who got normal kicks with effects instead) using their actual finishing moves?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Latest Ultraman Taiga was really fun. The new Kaiju Segmegeru is nice as well, with a good balance of old and new style without being over the top design wise. Also I'm fully here for tiny Ultras that interact with their host.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The Crystal of Bonds Movie has been translated by Gemncorp. And GorGom if you like engrish. Honestly the series felt like it wrapped up pretty nicely so I'm not sure what to expect in the movie but I'll probably check it out later tonight after the wrestling.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

IMHO, R/B the Movie does just two things of lasting importance:

It gives Riki access to a real family, kind of important now that he killed his biological dad and his foster dad's probably passed away by now from whatever he had in the series. Don't forget, he's been invited back for sukiyaki.

It introduces Tregear, who is the major rear end in a top hat in Taiga. They even give him a post credits scene, though while it isn't much, is meant to give the viewer something to look forward to.

Hopefully Taiga will run across some kaijus that show up independently of Tregear's machinations, as IMHO his M.O. from the movie is starting to get a little repetitive (offer some human power/ability to summon or become a kaiju, watch them get beat like a clock, walk off into the distance twirling his moustache while looking for the next human sucker.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm good with it because Tregear usually beats Taiga's rear end(or is each form its own separate rear end?)so the payoff when Taiga finally gets one over on Tregear is gonna be huge. All the sparklies and they'll blow up the entire model set they spent all month building. Its gonna rule. I hope.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/1157846550506291201

TO~BIRA GA RISE!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I enjoyed the R/B movie mostly. The CG was basically just anime Ultraman in a way. It's a shame they didn't actually make a Groob suit at all. I wonder if one will eventually be made for stage shows? It was also nice finally seeing an Ultrawoman for the first time in a looong while.

I was a bit surprised that we didn't get any kind of background on Traegar at all other than "wow what an rear end in a top hat". Since I was expecting him to be the replacement for Belial for a while (he was getting pretty overused tbh) I thought we'd get to know more about who and what he is. I guess we'll be getting some of that in the Taiga series.

Also I find it interesting that the Taiga CGI is mostly better than the R/B movie's own FX.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah the R/B movie rocked. The flogging of Katsumi bit mixed with the shut in intervention stuff was good drama. Establishing Tregear as a real dick and establishing his power levels are superior to the Ultras means they're gonna keep him for a while. There's a lot of hay they make with that. It was nice to see the family together too. Riku didn't bring his girlfriends along which was a shame.

One detail about the effects, I like that they made a model of the t-shirt shop's street. But I think they used that in the series too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Geostomp posted:

Does it top the last movie where we go all twenty riders using their actual finishers (well, all but a few who got normal kicks with effects instead) using their actual finishing moves?
Hmm. Maybe not. And it's definitely not as good a movie. But They do this neat thing where it flashes like all 20 belts on screen for a second each as they all trigger their final forms and that was really neat. Each Rider didn't get to do very much besides show up for a second, the wacky cameos like Brain, Zangetsu Kachidoki, Manga Kuuga, and G got much more time and even that was just one quick scene each. The kick was rad though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Hmm. Maybe not. And it's definitely not as good a movie. But They do this neat thing where it flashes like all 20 belts on screen for a second each as they all trigger their final forms and that was really neat. Each Rider didn't get to do very much besides show up for a second, the wacky cameos like Brain, Zangetsu Kachidoki, Manga Kuuga, and G got much more time and even that was just one quick scene each. The kick was rad though.

Extremely important question

Ultimate Kuuga or the shittier Rising Ultimate

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Considering OG Kuuga has been all but unpersoned in favor of the AU one, I'd wager Rising Ultimate.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Burkion posted:

Extremely important question

Ultimate Kuuga or the shittier Rising Ultimate
Good question!

Unfortunately they're all on screen for like a second tops before flying around so you don't get a super good look at any of them for long before it cuts away. But I remember Kuuga and I remember him being more black than gold so I want to believe he was just Ultimate Kuuga. But I could be wrong...

Wait!! I forgot I bought the book and it has a line-up of all of them! So I can confirm it was indeed Ultimate Kuuga! :D

Picture Spoiler? Kind of. Just Rider Forms. Sorry for the quality.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The image is made 30% less cool with Mach in the corner of the second page. I hate Mach so much.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The image is made 30% less cool with Mach in the corner of the second page. I hate Mach so much.
You know, I vaguely remembered that some people in this thread really hate Mach so I very nearly put "trigger warning: Mach" above it lol. My second thought was that it might start a "PuToTyra VS TaJaDor" final form debate but I figured that hasn't come up all that much here.

It does remind me of another great scene in the film though: Zio, Geiz, and Mach all henshin to fight Amazons guy and afterward Mach does his "Seeking and destroying, always at Mach speed! Kamen Rider Mach!" spiel and Zio and Geiz just kind of stand back and watch then share a glance of "The gently caress was that?" I love when they acknowledge in-universe the goofiness of Kamen Rider.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Darth TNT posted:

ZIO45

I'm enjoying the insane ride and cameos, but holy hell are they going with powers as the plot demands it and then forgetting it when they would need them the most.

I guess another Drive didn't give the Drive ridewatch?

Remember, the heroes get ridewatches from the representatives from the original show, not from the Another Rider itself, and neither 44 or 45 featured a Drive series cameo. Sougo would have to earn his Drive ridewatch from Kiriko or something.

E: I don't really get the Mach hate. He was frustrating for sure, but early on in the show he was far and away the best character. If they leaned into that, he'd be great.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
He's stubbornly robot-racist long after the audience has gotten attached to Chase and Heart, which can be very frustrating to watch.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

And is directly responsible for Chase dying to save his dumb fool rear end, so that as well.
"But he gets over it!" Sure, only after all the Roidmude are dead. Too little, way too late.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Remember, the heroes get ridewatches from the representatives from the original show, not from the Another Rider itself, and neither 44 or 45 featured a Drive series cameo. Sougo would have to earn his Drive ridewatch from Kiriko or something.

E: I don't really get the Mach hate. He was frustrating for sure, but early on in the show he was far and away the best character. If they leaned into that, he'd be great.
More Movie Spoilers re: Drive RideWatch He gets it from Krim Steinbelt/Mr. Belt as a hologram, along with the Mach RideWatch. The latter of which I believe is never actually used. I guess Krim made Drive even if he isn't Drive so he has that authority for whatever reason.

I wonder if they originally wanted to do more with the secondary rider watches or if they just wanted to have them existing in the series as a reason to sell them. I think they used the Cross-Z Watch with the Time Mazine once but other than that they've never been relevant, right?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Gou's insufferability and the pall it cast over the entirety of Drive is just one of the things that worries me about Zero One, a show about robot racism with two characters as robot hating cops. Also the discourse around it.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
This was my exact first fear when I read the Zero-One concept too, but considering its from the writer of Ex-Aid and how things went for the bugsters in the end (as well as how much of Drives post series content has been dedicated to undoing all of the forced tragedy of Drive proper) I think this might be like, a better Redo of the concept. The robots are already positioned very sympathetically after all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I wonder if they originally wanted to do more with the secondary rider watches or if they just wanted to have them existing in the series as a reason to sell them. I think they used the Cross-Z Watch with the Time Mazine once but other than that they've never been relevant, right?

It was used for a finisher with Geiz's weapon first, then for the Time Mazine. But yeah, the secondary Ridewatches appeared in the series entirely to tell the kids "hey, we're selling these ones too!", because goddamn they're just selling Watches for literally everyone. Even Mirror Sougo got one! (in a two-pack with the Another Ryuga Watch because who the hell would buy that, but still)

Also I'm fine with Go appearing in the movie. I hate him intensely, but it also means that they could keep the good cameo for the series proper, because we're getting Chase back next week, hell yeah. As Mashin Chaser rather than Kamen Rider Chaser, which makes me think he's from an Another World, but still, Chase!

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Darth TNT posted:

Episode 45:
Tsukuyomi can apparently take her powers back using her stolen powers despite barely understanding how her powers worked before being stolen? :psyduck:

Yeah that part didn't make any sense at all really, although it didn't work (or at least it seems like it didn't) so I guess it doesn't matter. Also regarding episode 45, it sort of feels like this is the turning point that creates Oma Zi-O.

I really hope Swartz has more motivation than "I want to be the one who rules the world (or all worlds)!" but I suspect that that's all the motivation we're going to get.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also I'm fine with Go appearing in the movie. I hate him intensely, but it also means that they could keep the good cameo for the series proper, because we're getting Chase back next week, hell yeah. As Mashin Chaser rather than Kamen Rider Chaser, which makes me think he's from an Another World, but still, Chase!
!!! I'm so excited, that is my boy right there.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Twelve by Pies posted:

I really hope Swartz has more motivation than "I want to be the one who rules the world (or all worlds)!" but I suspect that that's all the motivation we're going to get.

At least make it something relatable like "my dumb sister cockblocked me from getting it on in the mall bathroom with the victoria's secret cashier" or something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

The Divine Orator posted:

This was my exact first fear when I read the Zero-One concept too, but considering its from the writer of Ex-Aid and how things went for the bugsters in the end (as well as how much of Drives post series content has been dedicated to undoing all of the forced tragedy of Drive proper) I think this might be like, a better Redo of the concept. The robots are already positioned very sympathetically after all.

The villains they've shown are humans as well so that part of the Ex-Aid set up is retained too, where the monsters are more just pawns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DoctorWhat posted:

which episode was this, so i can watch it again