Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Clearly you didn't understand them then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Tony Stark is just a pez dispenser that says witty Whedonisms. If his character's "development" is being a recovering alcoholic with a fusion reactor in his chest, well, I don't think there's any point in pretending he's anything but a rocket that shoots smaller rockets.

Then again, I can't compare anything to Denis V.'s stuff because I have seen absolutely none of it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Yeah, Dune isn't at all a character study. None of the characters really have personalities beyond how they act and react to the plot, and their ability to problem solve. The ones that do have personalities are basically presented as zealots or insane people, or we're told that they're heroic but never shown any evidence of it. Concept and intrigue is really all we really care about.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is canon

EVER DREAM THIS MAN?
EVERY NIGHT THROUGHOUT THE WORLD HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE DREAM ABOUT THIS FACE.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is canon

:eng101:

Dune Encyclopedia is Meta-/Para-canonical: it represents the reality as understood at the time it was written.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

@D-n---th-r in one sentence: "gently caress you, dad!!!!" in a 17 book series

(I think I might have gotten the idea from this thread, in which case I won't apologize because I'm just following the theme of ripping off a predecessor's work.)

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

duneauthor seems less "gently caress you dad" and more "I dedicated my life to emulating the man I see as a deity"coupled with a surface-level understanding of his dad's works

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I've only read one of his books but turning famous ancestors and animals mentioned in his dad's books into robots and poo poo is so laughably idiotic I don't know where to start.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Man every time I check this thread these days you guys are talking about that moron and it just kills it for me again :(

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thread cycle:

movie casting rumors
lol @DuneAuthor
Billy Jeeling
weird dune illustrations
poop vacuum/catheter chat
over-complicated analysis of the novels
ranking the original 6

a few days of thread silence

repeat.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Gotta get my timing in line with the casting posts so I can laugh about Sir Not-Appearing-in-this-Film Fenring babby

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

How about those deathstills then?

Do Fremen drink the blood of their enemies? Or do they actually have some kind of device that takes purified water out of corpses and leaves behind all the biological bits?

Is the spice just worm poop?

What other things that get danced around in the novels are probably very gross and depraved?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Man every time I check this thread these days you guys are talking about that moron and it just kills it for me again :(

Stop posting spoilers for Annihilation

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

No cinnamon? Pathetic.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I always imagined a body goes into the still and comes out as a piece of jerky and that gets burned or buried or something.

The Bloop posted:

Stop posting spoilers for Annihilation

Lol love my wiggly man av

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:actually: it’s “Original 6 + 1”, the Dune Encyclopedia is approved as an in-world text by Frank the Author.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Agamemnon d’Adreides

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We had that weird “Denis Villeneuve = hack?” Interlude not too long ago

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Did any of the fremen's enemies ever try to send contaminated soldiers against them? I could imagine the Harkonnens and/or Sardaukar poisoning some of their own troops in the hopes of contaminating the water reserves.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

"Poz my neg hole!" Demanded the Sardaukar Colonel Bashkar

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I’ll take two Ride the Worms and a Little Death. There is a Little Death cocktail right?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

YoursTruly posted:

Did any of the fremen's enemies ever try to send contaminated soldiers against them? I could imagine the Harkonnens and/or Sardaukar poisoning some of their own troops in the hopes of contaminating the water reserves.

I assumed this wouldn't work because of the stills evaporating the water and leaving behind anything else.

(Granted with actual distilling it's a little more complicated than that but we're talking sci-fi tech here so I just assume there's ways around having to throw away potentially contaminated portions)

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Temaukel posted:

No cinnamon? Pathetic.

Shoulda had a whiskey (usquebaugh) cocktail called the Water of Life

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Why not actual shots of aquavit

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Honky Dong Country posted:

I assumed this wouldn't work because of the stills evaporating the water and leaving behind anything else.

(Granted with actual distilling it's a little more complicated than that but we're talking sci-fi tech here so I just assume there's ways around having to throw away potentially contaminated portions)

They just have the reverend mother drink it and convert her piss to clean drinking water right?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alexandriao posted:

They just have the reverend mother drink it and convert her piss to clean drinking water right?

Is there any fetish you can't find in Dune?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

No Sauce of Sappho?

No Bless the Maker?

No The Abomination?

No Spicebeer or spicecoffee?

This is what happens when former sorority girls in promotions throw the party.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

No Sauce of Sappho?

No Bless the Maker?

No The Abomination?

No sapho juice is a real oversight. they could've put food coloring in it for the stains.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The Bloop posted:

Is there any fetish you can't find in Dune?

idk I didn't see anything about feet

Feet: The Only Fetish You Can't Find In Dune™️

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Fremen feet probably look like burnt hangar steaks. They probably jerk off to videos of offworlder water fat harkonnen feet.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

kiimo posted:

No Sauce of Sappho?

No Bless the Maker?

No The Abomination?

Sorority or Sisterhood?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

YoursTruly posted:

Before Paul teamed up with them the Fremen were just weirdos who lived in the desert and, maybe, were pretty good fighters (and thus you need to send a great mob to root them out). The Harkonnens don't seem like they'd care, the Sardaukar only cared because they were deployed to Arrakis. By the time they really knew the Fremen were more than "the dirty bandits that Leto is recruiting," Paul was on the throne.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

kiimo posted:

Fremen feet probably look like burnt hangar steaks. They probably jerk off to videos of offworlder water fat harkonnen feet.

hmm this implies there is also a water fat penis

what does a not water fat penis look like (I don't want to know)

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

alexandriao posted:

idk I didn't see anything about feet

Feet: The Only Fetish You Can't Find In Dune™️

paul jolts a guy's heart with his big toe to kill him

prana bindu training starts with moving your toes one at a time, starting with the pinky

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

alexandriao posted:

I'd like to say Fremen dicks look like a placenta that has been cooking in the hot desert for 40 years but since fremen dicks are constantly sucked on by their stillsuit they in fact look like the "after" pic in a penis enlargement ad.

edit:

Doc Hawkins posted:

prana bindu training starts with moving your toes one at a time, starting with the pinky

I want to see a bene gesserit play the violin with her feet.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Sapho juice isn't in the book, just the lynch movie

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

alexandriao posted:

Like a thicker slim jim.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vlex posted:

Sapho juice isn't in the book, just the lynch movie

Yes but like heart plugs and cat milking and weirding modules it can stay because it rules

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A "water fat" penis is just a regular one

Fremen dicks look like Skeletor's bone crank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It’s awesome that Lynch’s weirdo poo poo is more canon than basically everything after Messiah

E: ok up to god emperor