Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Felt cute. Might murder (or poop on) human later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Obviously you leave everything to the birds.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

So the consensus is that

?

also Trevor and Cricket sound incredibly good at using language - Pookie hardly bothers to speak at all beyond roaring HELLOOOOO if she thinks there is someone in the next room who might be willing to come in and let her out - she's 19 now and has never been much of a talker, though she's very good at undertanding phrases like 'Do want a sweetie/pistachio?' and 'if you don't get down from there I will get the scary brush'

theHUNGERian posted:

Felt cute. Might murder (or poop on) human later.
Murder - Fairly unlikely
Poop on - Oh most definitely.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Aug 2, 2019

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto and Peanut aren't great at mimicking, but we catch them at it sometimes. Last night I was blowing raspberries at Peanut, he did a "pbbttrehhhhhh" sort of imitation, which made Pinto do a little dino roar, which set off Ms Cookies laughing hysterically, and Pinto started imitating the laugh.

I also don't believe it's just mimicking. I think birds understand a bit of the context of our sounds they reproduce.

But holy poo poo lmfaooo at that Trevor and Cricket story, what a sassafras.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Pookah posted:

So the consensus is that

?

also Trevor and Cricket sound incredibly good at using language - Pookie hardly bothers to speak at all beyond roaring HELLOOOOO if she thinks there is someone in the next room who might be willing to come in and let her out - she's 19 now and has never been much of a talker, though she's very good at undertanding phrases like 'Do want a sweetie/pistachio?' and 'if you don't get down from there I will get the scary brush'

Murder - Fairly unlikely
Poop on - Oh most definitely.

I am so surprised by what they actually say and WHEN they use it. Yeah, they do the repetitive stuff like "apple" or "birdie-birdie", and Trev's favorite "kiss kiss" etc, but they actually do use their words somewhat in context. I'm not going to say they actually know what they mean, cos I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure they do know when to use them.

Cricket has always been verbal... even the lady who raised her was surprised at how good she is at talking. She's also somewhat clear as well. That might be cos she was an only bird for a long while, and I talked constantly to her, as does my husband. I even read her stories and we watch TV kid shows like Daniel Tiger etc. Basically, we treat her like another human, just short and feathery. She, I think, does have some understanding of the context, and tends to use them in the right place. I have noticed when she isn't sure and is thinking what to belt out, she will sway back and forth looking at me and go "Hmmm?" I am pretty sure I have mentioned that both of them are very empathetic, and the times I have been upset (several deaths in family recently, etc) and I am in tears and upset...they will both get over to me if they can and kiss me, and tell me "Don't worry its ok" So I know they do understand quite a bit of things, even if the verbiage they use isn't right.

Trevor is pretty verbal as well, but I think he is mostly repeating phrases that he knows go with the situation. He knows when there is food it's "Yummy", and when I ask him a question its "Yeah" or "No" and so on. I don't think he understands most of it though, he is just good at saying things at the right time. He does, like Cricket, use "Yummy" for all foods, bird or people. They see us eating and "Is it yummy? "Is it goooooood?" So, I am pretty sure they understand that context... food is yummy. That's the only time they say it is if there is food around.

I do think he has picked up a lot from Cricket, tbh. He is, however, very good at sussing the situation. When he is being naughty and gets the floor and ignore, he will sit there talking to himself "Good birdie. Not ok. Be nice" When he gets picked up again he makes a point to make sure I look at him and will say "Trev good bird! Kiss Kiss"

Rotten Cookies posted:

Pinto and Peanut aren't great at mimicking, but we catch them at it sometimes. Last night I was blowing raspberries at Peanut, he did a "pbbttrehhhhhh" sort of imitation, which made Pinto do a little dino roar, which set off Ms Cookies laughing hysterically, and Pinto started imitating the laugh.

I also don't believe it's just mimicking. I think birds understand a bit of the context of our sounds they reproduce.

But holy poo poo lmfaooo at that Trevor and Cricket story, what a sassafras.

Yeah he is a total little poo poo. But I tell you, I can't imagine him not being around. He's a smart little cookie and knows how to use his cuteness to his advantage.

For instance last night. He isn't terribly fond of my husband usually. I had taken Cricket in the kitchen cos he was being a brat, and I was just going to walk away. Apparently, Junior Birdman hopped on the floor and ran over to my husband who was sitting in his chair. He climbed up his pant leg, and R said "yes? Can I help you?" Trev proceeded to climb on his finger, and say "Trevie sweet birdie birdie apple" Apple seems to be his word for treats...he loves apples :)

R said, "You want a treat? Some apple?" Trevor said "birdie apple birdie apple" R brought him into the kitchen to get him a treat, Trev saw me and bumblebeed over and then looked at R and went "Pbbbbtttttttttttttttt. Apple!"

Little booger sweettalked him into bringing him to me in the kitchen lol

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 2, 2019

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I need some advice guys. Ever since Huxley passed Bradbury has just screamed more and more. He has food and water, he gets new toys and treats, we try and talk with him and work with him to step up (which he does not appreciate). Still, 95% of his waking time is making a single shriek, every second, and will go on for hours and hours given the opportunity. Mr ana will not let me get another cage mate for him. Mochi wants to eat him. I'm dying inside feeling like I cannot provide for him, and literally developing tinnitus trying to cope and let him scream it out. I'm losing my mind trying to make things right for him. He doesn't seem unhappy. He only screams when I'm home according to my husband. I am recuperating from unexpected neck surgery so have been here all day every day. He is not flock calling and no sort of response will change it. I feel like I'm failing him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, I agreed to another bird because my wife was depressed, let alone a neck injury and irreversible hearing damage. How much trouble is another budgie, anyway?

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Disco Salmon posted:

I am so surprised by what they actually say and WHEN they use it. Yeah, they do the repetitive stuff like "apple" or "birdie-birdie", and Trev's favorite "kiss kiss" etc, but they actually do use their words somewhat in context. I'm not going to say they actually know what they mean, cos I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure they do know when to use them.

Cricket has always been verbal... even the lady who raised her was surprised at how good she is at talking. She's also somewhat clear as well. That might be cos she was an only bird for a long while, and I talked constantly to her, as does my husband. I even read her stories and we watch TV kid shows like Daniel Tiger etc. Basically, we treat her like another human, just short and feathery. She, I think, does have some understanding of the context, and tends to use them in the right place. I have noticed when she isn't sure and is thinking what to belt out, she will sway back and forth looking at me and go "Hmmm?" I am pretty sure I have mentioned that both of them are very empathetic, and the times I have been upset (several deaths in family recently, etc) and I am in tears and upset...they will both get over to me if they can and kiss me, and tell me "Don't worry its ok" So I know they do understand quite a bit of things, even if the verbiage they use isn't right.

Trevor is pretty verbal as well, but I think he is mostly repeating phrases that he knows go with the situation. He knows when there is food it's "Yummy", and when I ask him a question its "Yeah" or "No" and so on. I don't think he understands most of it though, he is just good at saying things at the right time. He does, like Cricket, use "Yummy" for all foods, bird or people. They see us eating and "Is it yummy? "Is it goooooood?" So, I am pretty sure they understand that context... food is yummy. That's the only time they say it is if there is food around.

I do think he has picked up a lot from Cricket, tbh. He is, however, very good at sussing the situation. When he is being naughty and gets the floor and ignore, he will sit there talking to himself "Good birdie. Not ok. Be nice" When he gets picked up again he makes a point to make sure I look at him and will say "Trev good bird! Kiss Kiss"

Yeah he is a total little poo poo. But I tell you, I can't imagine him not being around. He's a smart little cookie and knows how to use his cuteness to his advantage.

For instance last night. He isn't terribly fond of my husband usually. I had taken Cricket in the kitchen cos he was being a brat, and I was just going to walk away. Apparently, Junior Birdman hopped on the floor and ran over to my husband who was sitting in his chair. He climbed up his pant leg, and R said "yes? Can I help you?" Trev proceeded to climb on his finger, and say "Trevie sweet birdie birdie apple" Apple seems to be his word for treats...he loves apples :)

R said, "You want a treat? Some apple?" Trevor said "birdie apple birdie apple" R brought him into the kitchen to get him a treat, Trev saw me and bumblebeed over and then looked at R and went "Pbbbbtttttttttttttttt. Apple!"

Little booger sweettalked him into bringing him to me in the kitchen lol

What if "apple" doesn't just mean a treat, it means positive attention from you? Ahh! I love birds!

I think my birds have a flock call for me, so I consider it my bird name. :)

I really think birds are able to associate sounds with contexts and objects, and words are basically sounds to them, so why not?

"hey sweetie beet" used to be a greeting in my home but now it means "open the cage door and pay attention to me" in bird.

subpar, if you live near a rescue, maybe you could look into fostering a budgie so you know it's not permanent, but your little lonely guy has more company?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Halloween Jack posted:

drat, I agreed to another bird because my wife was depressed, let alone a neck injury and irreversible hearing damage. How much trouble is another budgie, anyway?

Yeah I mean... this kinda sounds like there is an easy and clear cut solution. What is his objection?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

His reasoning is that Bradbury would just teach another budgie the same scream and I'd be twice as exasperated. I on the other hand think it would be a good distraction to keep him from screaming endlessly in the first place.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

His reasoning is that Bradbury would just teach another budgie the same scream and I'd be twice as exasperated. I on the other hand think it would be a good distraction to keep him from screaming endlessly in the first place.

Honestly I give his scenario about a 30% chance and your scenario about a 70% chance.

Either could happen, but I find yours more likely.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Just be aware that adding an untrained bird to a trained bird will likely result in them both becoming untrained.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hug in a Can posted:

What if "apple" doesn't just mean a treat, it means positive attention from you? Ahh! I love birds!

I think my birds have a flock call for me, so I consider it my bird name. :)

I really think birds are able to associate sounds with contexts and objects, and words are basically sounds to them, so why not?

"hey sweetie beet" used to be a greeting in my home but now it means "open the cage door and pay attention to me" in bird.

subpar, if you live near a rescue, maybe you could look into fostering a budgie so you know it's not permanent, but your little lonely guy has more company?

Maybe!! I don't know lol

Usually I am just Baby :) I usually say "Hi Baby" etc...and Cricket says "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby" when she is looking for me. Trev picked that up too, he usually calls me "Baby baby kiss kiss" What a name!

Could be though...after all positive attn is a treat no?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kenshin posted:

Honestly I give his scenario about a 30% chance and your scenario about a 70% chance.

Either could happen, but I find yours more likely.
Yeah I think so too. Especially if this specific scream is a contact call for you, because he's lonely, because a friend would resolve problem b, thus resolving problem a.

Disco Salmon posted:

Usually I am just Baby :) I usually say "Hi Baby" etc...and Cricket says "Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaby" when she is looking for me. Trev picked that up too, he usually calls me "Baby baby kiss kiss" What a name!
haha, I'm Baby too, so far as Ama is concerned. Must be a conure thing. :3:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah I think so too. Especially if this specific scream is a contact call for you, because he's lonely, because a friend would resolve problem b, thus resolving problem a.

haha, I'm Baby too, so far as Ama is concerned. Must be a conure thing. :3:

Yeah if I could get him to respond to me in any way as a flock call it would just... not be a problem at all? Mochi calls for us, and we respond if we're in the apartment; it's 'baby' to call for me but the call for mr. ana has morphed into 'beep beep' with his encouragement.

I'm not worried about Bradbury becoming less trained, because in the years he has lived with us, he has stubbornly refused to be hand tame beyond 'Oh poo poo this isn't my cage I don't know where I am please help'stepping up, despite our attempts to bribe with treats, bells, etc.

I think I'm going to push mr. ana on a second budgie. Are two males more likely to fight? I want to give him the best chance possible. I don't want to give up on him; he's clearly healthy and not neurotic, he doesn't pick, eats like a horse, his feathers are beautifully soft and clean. Just because he doesn't want to be my personal friend doesn't mean I don't want him to be as happy as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I hold Serra close to my face and say, "Gimme a kiss!" her response is to shake her head back and fourth and hiss.

Seems legit.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

https://twitter.com/CenTexAg/status/1157008110374051845

I choose to believe

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

I choose to believe they teamed up having found mutual respect through combat and formed the ultimate strike team of speed and cunning

(c) Tsaedje 2019 do not steal

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

The parakeets completely adore string, so there are little bits hanging around their cage. No loops or anything to get tangled in...I thought.

As I was luckily walking by, Blue the parakeet got his leg band tangled in a string and absolutely flipped out. I was able to get him untangled with a ton of biting, as he is not even remotely tame. Gave me the scare of my life.

How would I go about removing that leg band?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you wouldn't happen to have a body piercing ring separator would you?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/f2SzwxL.mp4

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

subpar anachronism posted:

Yeah if I could get him to respond to me in any way as a flock call it would just... not be a problem at all? Mochi calls for us, and we respond if we're in the apartment; it's 'baby' to call for me but the call for mr. ana has morphed into 'beep beep' with his encouragement.

I'm not worried about Bradbury becoming less trained, because in the years he has lived with us, he has stubbornly refused to be hand tame beyond 'Oh poo poo this isn't my cage I don't know where I am please help'stepping up, despite our attempts to bribe with treats, bells, etc.

I think I'm going to push mr. ana on a second budgie. Are two males more likely to fight? I want to give him the best chance possible. I don't want to give up on him; he's clearly healthy and not neurotic, he doesn't pick, eats like a horse, his feathers are beautifully soft and clean. Just because he doesn't want to be my personal friend doesn't mean I don't want him to be as happy as possible.

I've always heard that two boy budgies are the likeliest to get on well with each other - it's the hens that are the fightiest. In the meantime, how does he react to budgie videos on youtube? Mine tend to settle down to gentle burbling if I play videos of happy budgie groups :)

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Met with the same screaming unfortunately. He's perfectly capable of doing standard budgie chatter and burble, kissy noises, laughing. I try and encourage all of this with immediate response and treats in his dish. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong- or possibly being something wrong? But my hair colour, length, style and colour of dress are pretty consistent. I did cut and bleach my hair for the first time in several years but that didn't seem to affect things either way. I think he'll be getting a buddy asap.

On a more amusing note, Mochi has begun to imitate my exasperated quiet shushing, along with quietly going 'staaaaaaaahp' at Bradbury when he yells for longer than Mochi is interested in. Poor Bradbo had a night fright early the other morning and when Mr ana turned on the light to check and make sure he wasn't injured, Mochi just let out the longest, most annoyed groan from under his covers. At least this is as teenage as he'll ever get.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 3, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Potato Salad posted:

you wouldn't happen to have a body piercing ring separator would you?

I do not, but I have a lot of tools - including jeweller's tools. I'll look it up and see what I have.

Towelling him is going to be next to impossible though. I have one of those two tiered Vision cages. They are awesome for the birds and keeping mess down, but not so great for cornering and trapping a parakeet.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

me irl

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ah, poop :( And lol at poor ol' Mochi getting pissy with his annoying little brother. It does sound like another budgie is the only real solution - I wonder if in his little budgie logic way he calls when you are around because you're Family, but he can't stop calling because just feels like there is something else missing? I don't know, it must be very upsetting for you all :(

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Two boy budgies are the most likely to get along. As mentioned two girls together are more likely to get quarrelsome. A boy and a girl will probably get smoochy and can be a headache if you're not looking forward to stopping them laying/hatching eggs. Two boys will usually only fight if there's a third girl with them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

His sober friend:
https://i.imgur.com/3Gny62d.mp4

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout didn't make it guys. We had to put her to sleep last night.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I'm so, so sorry for your loss. You and your vets went above and beyond for little Scout and did literally everything you could and more. You did the best you could

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so sorry. :(

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh Mike...I don't have the words. If I can give you a shoulder, PM me. I wish I could give you a hug.

Scout was such a good, brave, strong bird and you gave her an amazing life. You did everything in your power to make her better. Your family took care of her as best you could, and I know Scout loved you for it.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I don't have the words to say how very very sorry I am for this. Scout was an amazing little girl, and she knew you loved her and she repaid that back to you in return :) I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts tonight. I so wish I lived near you to be able to give you and your wife a shoulder if needed :(

She was a fighter to the very end, and I am sure she knew that you did the best you could! She is flying high now, and is probably gorging herself on all the snacks her beak can reach atm.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I'm so sorry Mikerock.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My father also insisted I send you his sympathies. He’s saddened by the news, but also said you’re obviously a great bird parent.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Coming out of lurking to say I'm so sorry.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m so sorry, man. At least while they were here with you you made their life as comfy and happy as could be, small consolation that may be right now.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm sorry Mikerock, you two did the best you could for Scout. She's rocking that high class pirate style in birdie heaven.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm so sorry. You'll be in my thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I know we already spoke in PM but I have to say it again. I'm so, so, so sorry. If I can do anything to help you and your wife through this please tell me.