Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's wrong with the nazi being a woman? ELI5 please, I am just a simpleton who likes to guffaw at the funny TV show while basking in my own filth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fascism calls for women to be in "traditional" roles submissive to their husbands and to live as baby factories.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I agree it would be neat to see the Deep turn into an ecoterrorist, play up stuff like climate change and hand him morph into an incompetent Captain Planet.

Besides Starlight, Deep seemed like the only one that really believed his own hype. He could talk to fish, an ability he felt was underutilized by the seven, and seemed to express regret at the deal he had with Oceanland.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Groovelord Neato posted:

fascism calls for women to be in "traditional" roles submissive to their husbands and to live as baby factories.

Yeah, but I sort of got the impression that the superheroes in this show are not supposed to be a good representation of their theme. Homelander, for example, doesn't give a poo poo about the population of his country. A-Train is the 3rd fastest man in the world who takes drugs to perch in the #1 spot. The Deep is quite shallow and has killed both sea creatures he tried to save. The evangelical gay bashing superhero has sex with men!

A self-contradictory supe seems 100% intentional??

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Having just finished the first season that was an utterly ball smashing cliffhanger, good lord. Wonder how long we will have to wait for season 2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, but I sort of got the impression that the superheroes in this show are not supposed to be a good representation of their theme. Homelander, for example, doesn't give a poo poo about the population of his country. A-Train is the 3rd fastest man in the world who takes drugs to perch in the #1 spot. The Deep is quite shallow and has killed both sea creatures he tried to save. The evangelical gay bashing superhero has sex with men!

A self-contradictory supe seems 100% intentional??

homelander is a perfect representation of america though.

they have him creating his own enemy, it's perfect.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was actually pretty drat surprised by the reveal that (finale spoiler just in case) Homelander went off script to create supervillains and it wasn't something Vought cooked up. I've yet to see a bottom too low for American Capitalism so I didn't really buy that Vought had been making supes for 50 years and never thought they needed villains as well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They don't do those things in public; the extreme contradiction is the point. Lady Stormfront is presumably the public face of fascism, which doesn't work. This is a movement that runs, in large part, on wounded masculinity.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 2, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Interesting. I am probably giving the show too much credit because I definitely assumed she'd present as (male) Stormfront and her female secret identity would be her private shame and character-defining juicy contradiction, a la

A-Train
Homelander
Ezekiel
The Deep

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I definitely read it as she’d be a woman until she transformed into Stormfront, who would be a dude.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's better - i had assumed it was just lady stormfront like lady thor.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
That would be even worse for a number of different reasons and I really hope that's not what they are going for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DrNutt posted:

That would be even worse for a number of different reasons and I really hope that's not what they are going for.

What are some, or all, of the number of different reasons?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What are some, or all, of the number of different reasons?

It could be read pretty easily as an extremely lovely representation of a trans person unless it's handled really well. Especially considering the complete lack of any sort of trans visibility so far on the show, unless you count the shape shifter. I probably overstated my case a bit but that is my primary concern wrt to that concept for Stormfront.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lose-lose for season 2 it seems.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

DrNutt posted:

It could be read pretty easily as an extremely lovely representation of a trans person unless it's handled really well. Especially considering the complete lack of any sort of trans visibility so far on the show, unless you count the shape shifter. I probably overstated my case a bit but that is my primary concern wrt to that concept for Stormfront.

Now that's an interesting angle! I think they already failed the trans visibility by having Doppelganger play in to the classic "trans MtF are always trying to lure you in to sex and then revealing their DICK" phobia

Also having a bit of a giggle at the concept of "I hope they are cautious and responsible in their portrayal of the Jewish woman who transforms into the male nazi"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's also IMO important in a cultural moment where fascism seems resugent to depict it in popular culture in a way that is recognizable and helps regular joes say "aha that's fascism, can't fool me, gently caress off Hitler."

I don't think a lady Nazi sup is necessarilly going to water that down but as a poster upthread said it's essentially a movement about male anxieties and sees women as brood mares and nurturers for the master race.

I don't think they're this tone deaf but a worst case fumble would be to present her with no further context as a "feminazi."

Anyway that's enough words about why I think a superhero show with tits and gore should educate people about the nature and dangers of facism.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 2, 2019

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Finished the show, comic was 1000 times better. Hope they don't gently caress up s2.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Boinks posted:

Finished the show, comic was 1000 times better.

this is a troll free zone.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is a troll free zone.

I think you mean opinion free.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

having read the comic i cannot imagine anyone legitimately thinking it's better than the show let alone 1000 times better.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Boinks posted:

I think you mean opinion free.

An extremely bad opinion

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Not to a lot of racists!
funny thing, the racists in a fascist state with nuclear weapons get to decide who's white and who's not within their borders

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

funny thing, the racists in a fascist state with nuclear weapons get to decide who's white and who's not within their borders

Yo i literally can't tell if your talking about the US or Israel

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Homelander's already pretty Nazi as it is so wondering what benefit Stormfront could bring to the series.

I know in the comics, Stormfront was pissed off about having to be leader of Payback because his image kept him from making it into the Seven, and was incredibly sexist and xenophobic to his own teammates.

He was also important in the comic's backstory because He was the first successful V-Baby, and his blood was used to isolate and perfect the Compound V used for Homelander and the rest of the Seven.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I think you guys are taking the Shazam portion of the inspiration for Stormfront a little too literally, that only really inspired his costume and him burping lightning (which he also shares with Thor since he’s a composite of the two brands).

At least I hope they don’t gently caress up trans representation worse than Ennis did in the comic.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

having read the comic i cannot imagine anyone legitimately thinking it's better than the show let alone 1000 times better.

I'm not trolling, show was too toned down and they didn't spend enough time developing the boys relationships with each other.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Boinks posted:

I'm not trolling, show was too toned down and they didn't spend enough time developing the boys relationships with each other.

How much more rape and slurs are needed before the show becomes "good"?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

Homelander is basically if Trump got superman level of powers.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

Yo i literally can't tell if your talking about the US or Israel

what's the difference

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

etalian posted:

Just lol if you think Trump is even capable of faking telling someone else that they're the real heroes here

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

etalian posted:

Probably intended more as at least in part a Super-Bush, since it was written in the aughties and Homelander quotes Bush's memorable (admittedly rhetorically really good) "bullhorn moment" at ground zero almost verbatim after the plane crash.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

what's the difference

range of nukes, quality of baklava

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How much more rape and slurs are needed before the show becomes "good"?

Neither of those things are extreme, try again.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Groovelord Neato posted:

look at who kimiko becomes and who the fbi entraps in their terror suspect stings.

I don't know if that's an intentional parallel though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Dr. Killjoy posted:

I think you guys are taking the Shazam portion of the inspiration for Stormfront a little too literally, that only really inspired his costume and him burping lightning (which he also shares with Thor since he’s a composite of the two brands).

At least I hope they don’t gently caress up trans representation worse than Ennis did in the comic.

Does depicting a trans person as evil automatically mean it’s bad representation? Can’t a character be both Trans and Evil? Would a woman who turns into a man and commits crimes as a man and then goes back to being a woman to live her normal life not be more interesting than basically 90’s of trans people in comics up until now?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bust Rodd posted:

Does depicting a trans person as evil automatically mean it’s bad representation? Can’t a character be both Trans and Evil? Would a woman who turns into a man and commits crimes as a man and then goes back to being a woman to live her normal life not be more interesting than basically 90’s of trans people in comics up until now?

Sure, if it's handled with smart writing and doesn't use the character as the butt of trans-panic jokes. Nazi-trans person seems like setting your writers up for probable disaster though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Instead of a generic terrorist, it would've been better if Homelander accidentally created someone as powerful and radically anarchist as Katyusha from the comic Uber. That book is grim as hell but Katyusha's storyline is pretty great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DrNutt posted:

I was actually pretty drat surprised by the reveal that (finale spoiler just in case) Homelander went off script to create supervillains and it wasn't something Vought cooked up. I've yet to see a bottom too low for American Capitalism so I didn't really buy that Vought had been making supes for 50 years and never thought they needed villains as well.

It makes sense when you consider that the superheroes are a product and a license to Vought. They're not going to do anything that would potentially endanger their cash cows. Homelander is willing to do it, though, because he's never encountered anything that can actually hurt him and it's made him think that nothing can.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
You all suck! Except you Black Noir you're doing great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Jedit posted:

It makes sense when you consider that the superheroes are a product and a license to Vought. They're not going to do anything that would potentially endanger their cash cows. Homelander is willing to do it, though, because he's never encountered anything that can actually hurt him and it's made him think that nothing can.

Isn't that largely what made Black Noir snap? He's next to HL all his life in case he goes against Vought but HL is pretty satisfied with the status quo and has no reason to stir the pot

Also, I may be remembering this incorrectly from the comic, but aren't the "villains" in the comics just supes that want to go against what Vought dictates (according to their share of the pie) and are promptly murdered pummeled into submission by the other supes and their demise is made public via Victory comics?