Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Oh sick I get half price skiing in Missouri next season?

Silverton early bird passes back on sale for $199, and you can get an additional $40 heli drop if you schedule it early.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, as a close-to-Whistler native, I haven't even bothered the last few years, and it used to be a several-days-per-year thing

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

My last trip to Whistler ( 3 years ago) was a mid week day, deliberately planned to avoid the crowds...and everything was tracked out by 10am and had 20 min line-ups.
Roughly around the same time the Whistler mayor said that they didn't want day-trippers from the lower mainland, because they brought their own lunch and didn't spent enough.
I haven't been back since.
When I moved to Vancouver 10 years ago, a local single day ticket was $70 (Edge cards were even cheaper!)...it's now $140+ and my salary sure as hell hasn't doubled in that time frame.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It's going to be loving hilarious when the US economy next tanks and all the Americans stop coming to Whistler, and unlike in 2008 when everyone from Vancouver kept coming to bail them out Vail has screwed over Vancouverites so much that they're not going to come back either.

Vail will 100% deserve the assfucking they're going to get when that happens.

HookShot fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 23, 2019

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The fun part is that vail will be fine even when the economy tanks due to their monopoly power. They’ll just use the opportunity to buy up more mountains on the cheap. :capitalism:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rated PG-34 posted:

The fun part is that vail will be fine even when the economy tanks due to their monopoly power. They’ll just use the opportunity to buy up more mountains on the cheap. :capitalism:

I really hate that that's true.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Capitalism is feasting on and destroying everything you love. Skiing is yet another example.

Cater more and more to the wealthy at the expense of everyone else, consolidate market share, leverage monopoly power to raise prices, replace founding/passionate owners/operators with faceless financial firms, leverage it all to the hilt because the person calling the shots will already be gone with a golden parachute by the time cyclical downturns cause that debt to be a problem, etc etc.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HookShot posted:

It's going to be loving hilarious when the US economy next tanks and all the Americans stop coming to Whistler, and unlike in 2008 when everyone from Vancouver kept coming to bail them out Vail has screwed over Vancouverites so much that they're not going to come back either.

Vail will 100% deserve the assfucking they're going to get when that happens.

Also, the really rich people aren't gonna be heavily effected

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

bawfuls posted:

Capitalism is feasting on and destroying everything you love. Skiing is yet another example.

Cater more and more to the wealthy at the expense of everyone else, consolidate market share, leverage monopoly power to raise prices, replace founding/passionate owners/operators with faceless financial firms, leverage it all to the hilt because the person calling the shots will already be gone with a golden parachute by the time cyclical downturns cause that debt to be a problem, etc etc.

let me tell you about backcountry skiing where I can even go and poo poo all over the alterra terrain if I can haul my rear end there

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

let me tell you about global warming

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rated PG-34 posted:

let me tell you about my lazy rear end not wanting to hike with ski gear

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, the really rich people aren't gonna be heavily effected

Thank goodness the realtors are gonna be alright in ski towns

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Moey posted:

Decided to stay at home and grill instead of fighting the crowds today.

https://youtu.be/M11SvDtPBhA

Dox, you make it?

Bit late to this, but ended up in line at the top of Loveland Pass at 7:30am and was super confused— was not mentally prepared for that kind of day and party. Ended up just turning around 5min later with my buddy and hung by the pool all day. Was disappointing, but overall was an incredible season in Colorado— over 80 days on skis and plenty of them deep powder days!

Getting excited about all this Australia and Patagonia pow i’ve been seeing too... anyone in the thread venturing down there this year?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

It's more of an ice hill

I don't know what the actual ride length on those lifts are but they feel like they take forever to get you all 100 feet of vertical up to the top. That and the place being solid ice at all times are my favorite things.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You should see Boston Mills and Brandywine. So many runs, major elevation, world class facilities.

I grew up going to Brandywine. I didn't even realize until the first time I went to Colorado that night skiing isn't really a thing most places, or that other resorts didn't have 15 minute wait times at every lift because everyone is back at the bottom 10s after getting off at the top, necessitating 2 side by side quad lifts servicing the same run.

Honestly though, now that basically all of Shredder is a terrain park instead of just a tiny sliver on one side with 2 jumps and 1 rail, it's probably not even thaaaat bad for just park laps.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dox posted:

Bit late to this, but ended up in line at the top of Loveland Pass at 7:30am and was super confused— was not mentally prepared for that kind of day and party. Ended up just turning around 5min later with my buddy and hung by the pool all day. Was disappointing, but overall was an incredible season in Colorado— over 80 days on skis and plenty of them deep powder days!

Getting excited about all this Australia and Patagonia pow i’ve been seeing too... anyone in the thread venturing down there this year?

August 24 - September 5 in Argentina.

And yeah the lines I saw at A-basin on the 4th made me glad I was in Maine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Elysium posted:

I grew up going to Brandywine. I didn't even realize until the first time I went to Colorado that night skiing isn't really a thing most places, or that other resorts didn't have 15 minute wait times at every lift because everyone is back at the bottom 10s after getting off at the top, necessitating 2 side by side quad lifts servicing the same run.

Honestly though, now that basically all of Shredder is a terrain park instead of just a tiny sliver on one side with 2 jumps and 1 rail, it's probably not even thaaaat bad for just park laps.

It’s good enough for Red!

Really though my wife was terrified when I took her out west for her first time skiing, even though the place was pretty family friendly. I’m hoping to try again at BM/Brandywine this year.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Thank goodness the realtors are gonna be alright in ski towns

Everyone in a ski town is a realtor

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That Olympic snowboarder weed dude is a realtor in Whistler. You know the one

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Disinterested posted:

When I visited Sun Valley about half the people I rode the lift with were realtors/folks trying to sell me property. It was nuts. When they found out I was not anywhere near rich enough to afford a house in one of the most expensive ski towns in the country they dropped the sales talk pretty quickly though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ante posted:

That Olympic snowboarder weed dude is a realtor in Whistler. You know the one

No he isn't, he runs a pot company out of like the Okanagan or something now, there was an article in the paper about him a few months back.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a snowboard boot fitter/shop in Toronto? I’m here right now and thought it might be a good opportunity.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Disinterested posted:

This much is true

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

spwrozek posted:

August 24 - September 5 in Argentina.

And yeah the lines I saw at A-basin on the 4th made me glad I was in Maine.
what’d you decide on, Bariloche?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Moot .1415926535 posted:

This much is true

Can't quote this enough.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HookShot posted:

No he isn't, he runs a pot company out of like the Okanagan or something now, there was an article in the paper about him a few months back.

Ross's Gold is a great name for a pot company.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

what’d you decide on, Bariloche?

Yeah, bariloche, Mostly based on timing. Pretty much all the trips to other areas are Saturday to Saturday. We can't get down there until Sunday and then leave on a Saturday. We also plan on cruising around in the BC and spending 4 days in Buenos Aires on the back end. We will also be able to do some more in town stuff. The Airbnb we are staying at is owned by a guide and he has been pretty helpful so far.

I would love to have gone to Las lenas but ultimately happy girlfriend is better than terrain and snow. Could be a bad choice but ultimately we will have fun. Then maybe go back to somewhere more powder/terrain specific in the future.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sounds like the right call based on your needs. I’ve been to Las Leñas twice and loved it, but may never get there again for many of the reasons you cite.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah I could see heading there for sure at some point but will have to plan it out more. My girlfriend owns her own business so have to work around her basically shutting down (making no money).

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Avalanches do funny things to trees

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

The new 4frnt top sheets on the Raven, hoji, renegade, and hoji CC are so sweet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
After testing the prototype Never Summer East last season, I now just received the 2019-2020 production model which I'm pairing with a set of 2018-2019 Now O-Drives that I ordered. I know a hybrid camber (CRC) boardercross board sounds ridiculous but it was an insanely good carver. The rest of my quiver remains the NS Chairman, Gentemstick XY and Amplid UNW8. I had a Pantera SC which I gave to a boardercross racer as a gift to replace a stolen board. The SC was way too stiff for me at my current weight of 142-146 lbs.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jul 31, 2019

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Anybody got any advice for good ski areas around Idaho Falls? Thinking of moving there in the next few years. Jackson Hole and Targhee are the obvious choices, but as far as cheaper, closer stuff goes, how is Pebble Creek?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

A-Basin now on the Ikon.

I have mixed feelings.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Dangerllama posted:

A-Basin now on the Ikon.

I have mixed feelings.

Are those feelings anger and disappointment?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Better Ikon than Epic, otoh, why does everything need to be run by two companies?

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

Dangerllama posted:

A-Basin now on the Ikon.

I have mixed feelings.

i have a big boner feelings

it's only 5/7 days anyway depending on your pass

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah seems perfect for Abasin, honestly

Also I have the Ikon included in my Aspen pass (FINALLY) so I am not complaining at all

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Better Ikon than Epic, otoh, why does everything need to be run by two companies?
:capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I just think it's funny that they made this big deal how they were doing it because it got too busy and traffic was a problem. I mean that's all true, but clearly that was just the reason they gave because Ikon hadn't finished signing their fat check yet. Can't say I blame them, but it's not going to stop going to abasin being a miserable experience, which is a drat shame since it's a great mountain.