Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The rangefinder for Pathfinder's grapple works so well as a hipfire crosshair, I kind of wish they'd just add them. My monitor can give a crosshair overlay but I prefer it being an actual option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Is this the part where we tell him to post his stats over and over?

And I also really like pathfinder’s reticule. For some reason it really works with the flatline in my opinion.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah I really want to see his stats, I'm sure that they are truly formidable

mcbexx posted:

Dumb question time.
I upgraded my GPU and instead of 1920x1080 (with black bars) I can now comfortably play on 3440x1440. But my (already lovely aim) is now completely shot. Before I start experimenting wildly, should I lower or raise my sensitivity to compensate for the bigger resolution? Or doesn't it matter at all? I think I read somewhere that sens and resolution are linked.

play at low res and your aim will improve a ton from the better fps

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

JFC that's a stupid loving post, dude.

when even mj is calling you stupid you know it's some stupid poo poo

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 2, 2019

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Songbearer posted:

The rangefinder for Pathfinder's grapple works so well as a hipfire crosshair, I kind of wish they'd just add them. My monitor can give a crosshair overlay but I prefer it being an actual option

I really wish they had more crosshair options like non-dynamic crosshairs, different colour/contrast crosshairs and options for dots/different shapes, the same options and customisability as something like CS would be great. My monitor has built in crosshair options too but they're all way too big

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Huh, i've somehow managed to do 10 daily challenges in 3 days... a random one came up yesterday at the end of a game and i guess it counts.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

play at low res and your aim will improve a ton from the better fps

Eh, I used to hit 50-60 fps on 1080 with a GTX 970 and 100 (monitor refresh limit) now with the new GPU on 3440.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Worth noting that I stealth turned the sensitivity down by 20% on my girlfriend's account and she suddenly turned into a killing machine.

Also lmao at thinking anyone in here is hitting pro levels of practice

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
People that quit out during finishers are a little frustrating. I just want the challenge

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

I really wish they had more crosshair options like non-dynamic crosshairs, different colour/contrast crosshairs and options for dots/different shapes, the same options and customisability as something like CS would be great. My monitor has built in crosshair options too but they're all way too big

Yeah I really want to be able to change the color. I made a thread about it on reddit months ago and I've seen others as well :(

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Holy hell pubbies love octane!

Edit: also gently caress the care package weapon challenges.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 2, 2019

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Respawn doesn’t seem to really care about providing an easy way to change crosshairs. Titanfall 2 lacks options as well. They allow user mods to change
multiplayer crosshairs in Titanfall 2, but I don’t know about Apex.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

endlessmonotony posted:

While you're at it, though, way up your sensitivity until you're at the very edge of "I can't control this at all". The higher your sensitivity the better you'll do. The lower sensitivity meme is just that - a meme, based on a crazy kid who can pull it off for now. But won't for very long, as is universally true.

(The exception to that is getting used to switching DPI on the fly for fine adjustments.)

Just popping in to say this advice is real dumb and bad

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The ESPN event is starting now: https://www.twitch.tv/espnesports

This is the first proper Apex LAN event, with 20 invited or qualified teams playing on the same server.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

endlessmonotony posted:

You changed both your FoV and your resolution. It's gonna be something you'll get used to.

While you're at it, though, way up your sensitivity until you're at the very edge of "I can't control this at all". The higher your sensitivity the better you'll do. The lower sensitivity meme is just that - a meme, based on a crazy kid who can pull it off for now. But won't for very long, as is universally true.

(The exception to that is getting used to switching DPI on the fly for fine adjustments.)

I bet you are trash and you should prove me wrong by showing me your stats.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Tbf it is funny how much the sensitivity argument rules the thread up

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

post stats or gently caress off

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Wheeee posted:

post stats or gently caress off

Yea! Show us your Epeen!

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

DPI switching on the fly is amazing but takes so much practice.

Meanwhile the only reason someone would recommend low sensitivity is because it's funny to trick people into flailing around like tube men.

If you're aiming you've already lost. It's also kinda mean, because someone playing on low sensitivity for a prolonged period of time will permanently damage their arms and thus their playing ability.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've ever seen in these boards. Permanent arm damage? Are you loving serious? Do you understand that repetitive arm motion is how people you know, get stronger and less prone to injury?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You absolutely can have debilitating injuries from repetitive arm aiming that results in tennis elbow that force you to sit out tournaments just like you can also gently caress up your wrist.
https://esportsobserver.com/esports-needs-face-injury-problem/

IDK if it could be considered permanent damage, but it does gently caress you up.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

People always think different sensitivity is somehow magically going to make them aim much much better. It helps consistency, but if your aim is already bad it's not going to help much at all.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I guess literally all of those pros playing with low sens must be wrong

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Nah there are always a couple pros who play with high sens. unless you're looking at something like CS. The maps and meta are so predictable there that you'll never have to make a quick turn of more than 45 degrees. But anything else? Quake, overwatch, or whatever random FPS game is hitting the charts will always have the outliers.

I used to play with insanely high sens when I was a teenager and had extremely good flick shots. Now I'm old and try to find a middle ground between finger aiming and arm aiming, while failing to track effectively in any sens. :corsair:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If your sensitivity is abnormally high for your wrist/arm/finger aiming style, most people will magically get better w/ lower sens.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dyz posted:

People always think different sensitivity is somehow magically going to make them aim much much better. It helps consistency, but if your aim is already bad it's not going to help much at all.

That not really a universal though. For many people adjusting (typically, lowering) sensitivity can result in pretty quick return on investment. "Aim" is a combination of things like precision, accuracy, and tracking. Finding the correct sensitivity can really help with certain aspects of aim. Lowering my sensitivity resulted in an immediate increase in my accuracy and tracking, though it threw my precision off quite a bit for a while while I adjusted.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comedyblissoption posted:

You absolutely can have debilitating injuries from repetitive arm aiming that results in tennis elbow that force you to sit out tournaments just like you can also gently caress up your wrist.
https://esportsobserver.com/esports-needs-face-injury-problem/

IDK if it could be considered permanent damage, but it does gently caress you up.

The damage can be - and often is - permanent. Or at least close enough as far as esports are concerned.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Yeah and it hasn't changed one bit. Except for "1v1 me bitch" being replaced with "post your stats".

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tennis Elbow typically heals on its own but it takes a really long time. Like 6-12 months. You can get it by lifting weights too with too much repetition and stress.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

comedyblissoption posted:

Tennis Elbow typically heals on its own but it takes a really long time. Like 6-12 months. You can get it by lifting weights too with too much repetition and stress.

Yeah but that's if you avoid aggravating the injury in any way. And well, six to twelve months where you might be okay to return is death to an esports career and bad for a coding career. You can really ruin your life that way, especially with medical costs to figure out if it'll heal on its own.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah but that's if you avoid aggravating the injury in any way. And well, six to twelve months where you might be okay to return is death to an esports career and bad for a coding career. You can really ruin your life that way, especially with medical costs to figure out if it'll heal on its own.

In other words, not permanent.

On the flip side, repetitive stress injuries on wrists are often permanent.

You are literally recommending focusing use on a more delicate set of muscles and tendons instead of distribute force amongst more of your body. Any physical therapist will tell you that's a bad idea

Your advice is so bad it's actually harmful for people to take it which is actually impressive

Edit: post your stats

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mr.Citrus posted:

In other words, not permanent.

On the flip side, repetitive stress injuries on wrists are often permanent.

You are literally recommending focusing use on a more delicate set of muscles and tendons instead of distribute force amongst more of your body. Any physical therapist will tell you that's a bad idea

Your advice is so bad it's actually harmful for people to take it which is actually impressive

Edit: post your stats

How, exactly, is the flailing tubeman approach less stressful on your wrists?

No, the correct answer is to keep your wrist fairly still and well-supported, something you can't do at all when using an extremely low sensitivity setup, and to get enough movement for Apex you need a fairly high sensitivity to not accidentally gently caress yourself up.

Looking at your post four hours ago I think it's clear you don't exactly have a firm grasp on ergonomics and it's a subject you really should educate yourself on. Might save you a lot of pain down the road.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

No, the correct answer is to keep your wrist fairly still and well-supported, something you can't do at all when using an extremely low sensitivity setup, and to get enough movement for Apex you need a fairly high sensitivity to not accidentally gently caress yourself up.

Looking at your post four hours ago I think it's clear you don't exactly have a firm grasp on ergonomics and it's a subject you really should educate yourself on. Might save you a lot of pain down the road.

http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/cumousetips.html

EDIT: Post stats

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 3, 2019

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

endlessmonotony posted:

You’re wrong on all fronts man. Time to post some stats.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Awesome username/post combo

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Counterpoint:

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/wrist.html

The overall conclusion here is that your wrist shouldn't be rested on anything, but that a wrist rest is better than resting your wrist on the desk. As point 7 of your link establishes, wrist flicking is indeed the worst thing you can do, which is more or less the entire reason you want high enough sensitivity where you don't do that. The link you posted also has recommendations on optimal mouse placement relative to your keyboard, point 8 points out you want to take very frequent breaks, point 9 recommends mouse shapes you probably should recognize are not like gaming mice, and point 3 recommends a workplace arrangement that is indeed very effective.

Or in short it assumes mouse use where you can extremely frequently just stop using the mouse and don't keep, say, moving your view for literal minutes at a time, and don't use it enough where your arm will tire and you end up resting your wrist on the desk or your hand on the mouse. This is not how you play video games. Unless you actually are moving your hand off the mouse between the times where you need to shoot and aim to give it proper rest. If so, post video of you doing that, it sounds amazing.

And that's why a wrist rest is only a mitigation - in optimal circumstances you wouldn't have your hand on the mouse long enough to ever have a risk of your wrist touching the desk.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

Counterpoint:

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/wrist.html

The overall conclusion here is that your wrist shouldn't be rested on anything, but that a wrist rest is better than resting your wrist on the desk. As point 7 of your link establishes, wrist flicking is indeed the worst thing you can do, which is more or less the entire reason you want high enough sensitivity where you don't do that. The link you posted also has recommendations on optimal mouse placement relative to your keyboard, point 8 points out you want to take very frequent breaks, point 9 recommends mouse shapes you probably should recognize are not like gaming mice, and point 3 recommends a workplace arrangement that is indeed very effective.

Or in short it assumes mouse use where you can extremely frequently just stop using the mouse and don't keep, say, moving your view for literal minutes at a time, and don't use it enough where your arm will tire and you end up resting your wrist on the desk or your hand on the mouse. This is not how you play video games. Unless you actually are moving your hand off the mouse between the times where you need to shoot and aim to give it proper rest. If so, post video of you doing that, it sounds amazing.

And that's why a wrist rest is only a mitigation - in optimal circumstances you wouldn't have your hand on the mouse long enough to ever have a risk of your wrist touching the desk.

That's about keyboards you idiot.

From the same site about proper mouse use

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/mouse/mouse_selection.html

The site you posted to counterpoint me being wrong actually proves you wrong

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 3, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Mr.Citrus posted:

That's about keyboards you idiot.

From the same site about proper mouse use

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/ergonomics/office/mouse/mouse_selection.html

The site you posted to counterpoint me being wrong actually proves you wrong

I mean I'm getting a bit too username/post combo even for my tastes here with what you not reading the links you post.

Those two links don't contradict other and they're both about mouse use. They show optimal form when you're not resting your wrists while holding the mouse, ever. Which means you're taking your hand off the mouse - and the desk - routinely. This, while certainly excellent for ergonomics, also makes it rather questionable as a video gaming technique, because it means you're stopping looking around and take significantly longer to react to incoming threats.

You keep posting links you haven't read. You were unaware some stress injuries are permanent. You made that bizarre statement about distributing force (bigger movements take more force). I don't think any further replies will actually result in anything worth reading.

EDIT: To anyone playing Apex with a vertical though: Keep being you, I've got nothing left to teach you and you can safely ignore everything I post.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

endlessmonotony posted:

ignore everything I post.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

endlessmonotony posted:

ignore everything I post.

How can I reduce the chance of getting sore, tired, or injured while using the computer mouse?

A well-designed workstation with a properly selected computer mouse helps prevent discomfort and injury. The following suggestions can help prevent or reduce these injuries.

Don't squeeze the mouse. Hold it loosely in your hand with a relaxed grip.

Keep your wrist straight. Your forearm, wrist, and fingers should all be in a straight line (Figure 6). Move the mouse from the elbow joint, rather than just moving your wrist.
Protect your wrist. Research on wrist rests is inconclusive. Using a wrist rest incorrectly can put more pressure on the carpal tunnel in your wrist, and restrict the flow of blood to and from the hand, which can lead to the development of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS).

Edit: posting my inferior arm aiming stats

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 3, 2019

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Mr.Citrus posted:

How can I reduce the chance of getting sore, tired, or injured while using the computer mouse?

A well-designed workstation with a properly selected computer mouse helps prevent discomfort and injury. The following suggestions can help prevent or reduce these injuries.

Don't squeeze the mouse. Hold it loosely in your hand with a relaxed grip.

Keep your wrist straight. Your forearm, wrist, and fingers should all be in a straight line (Figure 6). Move the mouse from the elbow joint, rather than just moving your wrist.
Protect your wrist. Research on wrist rests is inconclusive. Using a wrist rest incorrectly can put more pressure on the carpal tunnel in your wrist, and restrict the flow of blood to and from the hand, which can lead to the development of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS).

Edit: posting my inferior arm aiming stats

Wow I almost have those exact same bloodhound stats. Minus the 100 wins badge (on level 4).Got level 3 assassin and triple triple. More kills though. Also same highest kills (although it won't track it because it happened in season 1) and 300 less max damage.

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 3, 2019

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
My name is Songymandias, average of average: Look upon my scores, ye mighty, and feel better about yourselves:

(This is actually pretty good as far as my usual gaming stats go)

(probably 4/5ths of this is solo queue)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

That not really a universal though. For many people adjusting (typically, lowering) sensitivity can result in pretty quick return on investment. "Aim" is a combination of things like precision, accuracy, and tracking. Finding the correct sensitivity can really help with certain aspects of aim. Lowering my sensitivity resulted in an immediate increase in my accuracy and tracking, though it threw my precision off quite a bit for a while while I adjusted.

I'm not saying lowering your sensitivity doesn't help, I'm saying it isn't some magical trick that's suddenly going to make you aim better. Most of the time it's actually better to slowly lower your sense instead of immediately dropping it to something like half of what you're used to.