Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Another good one prompted by something 13pandora13 said: My dad started the only ‘apology’ conversation with me about how he was when I was a kid that summed up to “I was young and I didn’t want a kid” while we were driving from the hotel to my wedding

It’s fascinating to me how many men think fatherhood is a thing that is unjustly forced upon them and how socially acceptable it is for them to “deal with it” by just being lovely people and then gradually appearing to be less lovely people decades later. Utterly fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve had my stuffed bear, Blackie, since I popped out of my mother’s body. I’m entirely aware of the irony.

In any case, he’s been to college and now lives with my in Sweden, resting on a bookshelf.

I refer to him as being there for me more than my father.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

teen witch posted:

I’ve had my stuffed bear, Blackie, since I popped out of my mother’s body. I’m entirely aware of the irony.

In any case, he’s been to college and now lives with my in Sweden, resting on a bookshelf.

I refer to him as being there for me more than my father.

Not Blackie the Bear. Lol, Jesus.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

MasBrillante posted:

Not Blackie the Bear. Lol, Jesus.

Predates the beanie baby, though I think I may have that as well back at my moms. Also gently caress I had a ton of beanie babies, thanks mom for indulging an obsessive 6 yr old.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MasBrillante posted:

Yes, I totally believe your 40 year old son still hates you because his dad “turned him against” you when he was in 2nd grade.

This was her first post on the site:

quote:

Hi, I just joined. I haven’t read Sheri’s book yet, but am going to order it after the holiday. My son was turned against me when he was in grade school 30 years ago so when my ex and I divorced, I had to let him live with his dad as he had moved to a cousin’s and wouldn’t live with me. The relationship over the years was not good, but there was one until his teens when he got in trouble and I was the old biddie for trying to intervene. I had remarried by then and moved to another state as my son would have so little to do with me. We’ve had a relationship off and on over the years, and this last summer he seemed very grateful for my support for some stuff he was involved in, but then he went dark and I can’t get him to respond to anything no matter what I do. He did this once before for a year. Besides being alienated from me as a child, I think the fact that he married a girl from a very well to do family who I suspect helps them out financially makes him look down on his own parents. I found out from my ex who I called the other day to find out what was going on with our sin that he has to walk on eggshells around him too. My son isn’t abusive if/when I talk to him, just very short with me like he’s doing me a favor to listen to me. When we are on good terms, I get maybe 5 minutes a month out of him with phone calls and maybe 10 texts a year. I don’t want to be permanently estranged as I can’t imagine never knowing what comes of him or his family. He’s married to a decent woman and they have one son who I’ve met once for an hour when he was 1 year old. They do accept gifts so that’s encouraging although I’m more or less buying their love and I know it. I’m glad to see I’m not alone, but dumbstruck at the epidemic of estrangement going on in our society today!!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

I’m sorry to hear your ES has accused you of this, but it strikes me that this is the new thing for hurting people to do is to research mental illness and personality disorders, diagnose those they dislike and throw it in their face. My sister did this to me years ago–she has the whole family diagnosed with something. It’s an excuse to justify them hating you or whomever as in my sister’s case.

quote:

I’m sorry you’re going through this.

I believe personality is basically inborn to a greater or lesser extent, and while nurturing impacts it, genetics is so strong that it’s almost impossible to change.

I have a sister who I believe has borderline traits–I don’t know if she’s full-on borderline, but she has most of the traits. Sadly, I’m estranged from her for the 4th time in 25 years. I see a lot of how she responds when I upset her in the posts on her about the verbal abuse and the like, especially telling me to never contact her again.

I believe a great deal of estrangement is related to various personality disorders, but I also believe it’s getting much worse as parental rights and roles have changed over the years to where parents now live to give their child a perfect life unlike when I was growing up in the 60s. The child is now the de-facto boss and wields all the power in the family with threats of estrangements. I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone….

quote:

I’ve also come to realize that here in America there is a ‘victim culture’ where being a victim gives you status and power. And things that used to be part of life are not looked on a person affronts like a dirt look, snarky comment and the like. I wonder if some of this isn’t behind the estrangement of so many really young people who feel they’re parents abused them when it sounds like their parents just weren’t perfect. Instead of ‘manning up’ like people used to do, we now have ‘safe spaces’ on colleges where young people can go hide when they’re confronted with an idea they don’t like.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This might help clarify some things. Or maybe make them more confusing, I don’t know:

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/1157076342476857344?s=21

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
In the first pages of this thread, several people asked how we can be sure that these parents are the ones in the wrong? I responded with the insight from the multiple posts in the op which asserted that, if the kids were in the wrong, these parents would have filtered into support group messageboards: if they're on a general support board it means they are the problem.

After reading hundreds of posts, I realize it's simpler than that. It's "If they don't introspect or if they dwell on the past rather than looking forward, they're the problem."

My parents were super-tough. Nowhere near the level of many parents in this thread, and I am glad you all got support because you are wonderful people. But to the level that my loving wife has wondered aloud multiple times, "what did your parents do to you?"

The difference is, with my kids, when we had an issue my parents said "okay, what can I do to fix this situation?" I've rarely threatened to withhold my kids from seeing my parents, because I consider that weaponizing my kids, but the times I have they've said "what did I do?" and I've said stuff like, "you slap their hands when they misbehave" and they have said, "okay, I won't do that."

The desire to see their grandchildren overcomes their desire to not improve themselves, and it really illustrates a stark comparison to these estranged rants where they never once say "what can I do? They won't communicate what I can do!" rather than "They won't talk to me! They won't even tell me what I did." The past tense versus the future tense is the dead giveaway.

They'd rather live in the past and cling to past slights, when regardless of whether these slights are real or not, a focus on working on the future is the only key to healing these relationships.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 3, 2019

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tell me these are all the same poster, because "armchair mental illness diagnoses are a tool of abuse! ANYWAY let me tell you about my estranged sister who I'm pretty sure is borderline" is delicious.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

Tell me these are all the same poster, because "armchair mental illness diagnoses are a tool of abuse! ANYWAY let me tell you about my estranged sister who I'm pretty sure is borderline" is delicious.

They sure are; you’re welcome!

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010
I found out from my ex who I called the other day to find out what was going on with our sin that he has to walk on eggshells around him too.

Interesting 'typo' there, supermum.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

This premise is way darker in the wake of this thread.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Boywhiz88 posted:

if this thread has shown anything it's that shithead abusive parent of estranged children is an alarmingly large demographic so media catered to them which gives them flattering protagonists to project onto is a pretty shrewd fiscal move

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Boywhiz88 posted:

The premise seems kinda hosed up on its own. Maybe people shouldn't put so much of their own identity and value into child rearing.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

MasBrillante posted:

This might help clarify some things. Or maybe make them more confusing, I don’t know:

https://twitter.com/stefanmolyneux/status/1157076342476857344?s=21

Statistically, live longer and happier lives.

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Another good one prompted by something 13pandora13 said: My dad started the only ‘apology’ conversation with me about how he was when I was a kid that summed up to “I was young and I didn’t want a kid” while we were driving from the hotel to my wedding

poo poo dude, I'm sorry to hear that. It's really weird to be cornered into accepting an "apology" at a super inappropriate moment. You can't "win" (whatever the gently caress that would mean) no matter how you answer.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 3, 2019

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boywhiz88 posted:

I saw the preview yesterday and I’m so loving glad it got posted here.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

MasBrillante posted:

It’s fascinating to me how many men think fatherhood is a thing that is unjustly forced upon them and how socially acceptable it is for them to “deal with it” by just being lovely people and then gradually appearing to be less lovely people decades later. Utterly fascinating.

If you ever read incel forums this is huge. They all see fatherhood as a prison that women rope men into. When they describe their ideal relationship, they still have a child (they want to pass on their legacy) but want no involvement in raising said child. They want the mother to do it all while they go to work and spend their free time playing videogames.

A lot of men are impotent and selfish children who simply cannot grasp the concept of bonding with another person unless there is someway they can personally benifit from it. Anything else is a burden.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 4, 2019

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Elderbean posted:

A lot of men are impotent and selfish children who simply cannot grasp the concept of bonding with another person unless there is someway they can personally benifit from it. Anything else is a burden.

I’ve never known one who wasn’t exactly like this

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Boywhiz88 posted:

Is that Angela Bassett? She can't possibly still look that good.

Edit: Huh, I guess she does.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 4, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elderbean posted:

If you ever read incel forums this is huge. They all see fatherhood as a prison that women rope men into. When they describe their ideal relationship, they still have a child (they want to pass on their legacy) but want no involvement in raising said child. They want the mother to do it all while they go to work and spend their free time playing videogames.

Because it's just another milestone they've been denied in a series of arbitrary things that they think will make them Successful and Happy according to society, mostly through the TV.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elderbean posted:

That’s super funny that they think they need a special secret rear end in a top hat forum to express this very common view among men.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Boywhiz88 posted:

I thought Netflix's marketing profile for me contains my SA bookmarks when this popped up. The vibe I got from the preview was Estranged Mother: The Show, but hopefully it's just this thread loving with me.

Mr. Lobe posted:

if this thread has shown anything it's that shithead abusive parent of estranged children is an alarmingly large demographic so media catered to them which gives them flattering protagonists to project onto is a pretty shrewd fiscal move

but I guess this could also be it.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Some of the viewer reviews of that movie are...interesting

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Some of the viewer reviews of that movie are...interesting

:justpost: them, friend

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I am too dumb/old to figure out how to upload images!

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I am too dumb/old to figure out how to upload images!

In the Awful app you can actually upload them directly from your phone photo album. No BBCode or anything.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Okay! I figured it out! Man... I'm slow.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okay! I figured it out! Man... I'm slow.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

:discourse:

Netflix knew exactly what they were doing with this one, genuis

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Boomer pandering is just going to keep getting more horribly specific.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Boomer pandering is just going to keep getting more horribly specific.

Christ I’ve never had that realization and uuuuggggghhhhh areerghhh stop stop, we’re already dead.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Drunk Nerds posted:

In the first pages of this thread, several people asked how we can be sure that these parents are the ones in the wrong? I responded with the insight from the multiple posts in the op which asserted that, if the kids were in the wrong, these parents would have filtered into support group messageboards: if they're on a general support board it means they are the problem.

After reading hundreds of posts, I realize it's simpler than that. It's "If they don't introspect or if they dwell on the past rather than looking forward, they're the problem."

My parents were super-tough. Nowhere near the level of many parents in this thread, and I am glad you all got support because you are wonderful people. But to the level that my loving wife has wondered aloud multiple times, "what did your parents do to you?"

The difference is, with my kids, when we had an issue my parents said "okay, what can I do to fix this situation?" I've rarely threatened to withhold my kids from seeing my parents, because I consider that weaponizing my kids, but the times I have they've said "what did I do?" and I've said stuff like, "you slap their hands when they misbehave" and they have said, "okay, I won't do that."

The desire to see their grandchildren overcomes their desire to not improve themselves, and it really illustrates a stark comparison to these estranged rants where they never once say "what can I do? They won't communicate what I can do!" rather than "They won't talk to me! They won't even tell me what I did." The past tense versus the future tense is the dead giveaway.

They'd rather live in the past and cling to past slights, when regardless of whether these slights are real or not, a focus on working on the future is the only key to healing these relationships.
At the same discussion board I quoted earlier people say a lot that it's not possible to withhold your children because your parents don't have any kind of intrinsic right to your children. Children are human beings who depend on adults to keep them safe from dysfunctional people and situations; they're not timeshares.

That said, that's a really good point. The reason these parents want to know what they did wrong isn't so that they can apologize or avoid doing it again; it's so that they can defend themselves against accusations that they did something wrong. Because the thought that they've done something wrong is unbearable. I think they have a lot of anxiety and very little ability to deal with it, so when something anxiety-provoking comes along, they have to destroy it before they feel like they're being destroyed. So, when they get any feedback on what it was that they did, it's either "made up" or "not that bad." Issendai wrote about this in a comment on her blog:

quote:

A big part of it is an allergy to shame. People like this were brought up by parents who simultaneously engulfed them in shame and didn’t teach them the skills to deal with shame, so any hint of shame threatens to destroy them. They can’t handle shame long enough to deal with even basic questions like, “Was I wrong in this situation?” It’s not that they would rather be right than be happy. It’s more like–well, let’s say the key to your heart’s desire is two feet deep in a pool of lava, and you can’t use a tool to get it out. Are you choosing not to be happy, or are you physically incapable of doing what you need to do to be happy?

It's something I saw in myself before I started on medication for anxiety. Something could make me so anxious that I literally couldn't think. But I wasn't surrounded by enablers and people who I could force to deal with things for me (i.e., children).

Anyway, let's have some dysfunction! These are all from the same thread.

quote:

Even though my DIL has been instrumental in the estrangement with our son, I have tried to be as kind as I know how to be under the circumstances. For the past three years I have continued to send her a send both of them birthday cards and have sent them combined Christmas gifts. She told me before the “big shutout” “they” only wanted money for gifts. So I send them each a card with a dollar for each of their birthday years + 1 extra “to how on”. Trying to keep it light. This year I really thought about whether to send anything because she had recently tried to sabotage our lunch with our son* and said awful things to me. But I decided to go ahead. She hasn’t acknowledged. Our son at least has been answering texts and says he wants to get together and he always says thanks for his card and the Christmas gift. I don’t expect anything from the relationship to change – although I do hope for that and pray. But evidently I do have expectations under the surface. Otherwise it wouldn’t bother me so much that she doesn’t acknowledge anything. So now I wish I hadn’t sent it because maybe it really was me trying to get some type of acknowledgement or for her to show some mercy. Now I just feel bad that I should have stayed silent. I don’t want them around if they don’t really care about us. And I don’t think she can. I think my son is trying to figure out a relationship with us but it is a distant place from what our family used to have ( or seemed to have). I don’t know what they want, really. How can you know when people won’t talk? So anyway I am just coming here to say unless something big changes I won’t send her any more cards. Not to “punish” her but because she has broken this relationship off herself and my attempts to reconcile have been met with contempt. I need to accept that and just let go. It’s not going to ever be the same or anything like we expected but life is still good. I love my husband so much and am so grateful that he is in my life.

quote:

So long as you can afford to give them the money, I’d continue for one simple reason–so they can’t use it against you if you don’t give them gifts.

quote:

When it becomes one-sided in card/gift giving, I think they begin to reason in their minds that you’re making up for some wrong you’ve done. So, of course, they deserve your “repentance “. And they don’t have to return the action because they will decide when you are forgiven.

*Sabotage:

quote:

quote:

Our ES got hold of us to go to lunch tomorrow. Haven’t seen him for five months this time and his wife has refused contact for two years. Today she sent me a very hateful and hurtful email. Said I owe her an apology (have apologized to him, to her over and over) for an argument after SHE kept pressure for money and I finally said no more. After that no matter how i reached out or what I sad she would not talk with me accused me of being bipolar, of disrespecting them, of hurting my son After several months of silence out son sent an email that he thought things had gotten confused and he wanted to start over. He got with us for lunch a few times and acted like nothing had happened but it was like talking to a stranger. Just surface talk. Now this letter from her. I had sent an email last August saying how I wish I could find a way to apologize and heal our relationship. No response again until he reached out to go to lunch tomorrow. We haven’t heard where he wants to meet and I imagine he isn’t going to now. I have had a depressive disorder since childhood but I have never been bipolar. She says she won’t talk to us unless we meet with a counselor. I am open to doing that as long as we both agree on the counselor. She has severe ADD and has been diagnosed with OCD as well. She says they are under too much stress right now so it could be several months. We are just floored and do not know what to do. Frankly she scares me. Our son is silent so I don’t know what he is thinking. She said “You are not the victim here!” Meaning she is, I guess.

quote:

Dear AFOL, I do not know if you will see this before meeting with ES for lunch tomorrow. I suspect that the wife just found out about his lunch plans and decided to sabotage them. I would continue to expect to meet for that lunch until you do or do not hear from him right beforehand.

I might suggest you use your wise mind and step out of emotional mind on this email thing and DIL actions. Can you set aside your pride and realize that this email is all about DIL’s issues or problems or instability? She wants you to be upset and angry and blow off ES. So when I see that in my own life, I refuse to allow these people to control me and I also won’t get sucked into the drama.
. . . .

The email is her way of getting you to freak out and make emotional mistakes here — and be upset. You do not have to allow her, DIL, to control your mind and life. You do not have to fight or argue or “BE RIGHT” with this pitiful woman who is obviously unbalanced/sick/damaged – whatever.

If it were me, and I have gotten bold and less chained to needing validation or being like by others, if it were me, I’d print off a copy of that email and put it in my purse. I would say to ES in a sweet voice and with empathy that I am sorry his wife sounded so angry and upset in her email. Then stop and allow ES to say something or ask what email. I would have it in my purse just in case he doesn’t believe you, which I have had manipulators claim I am making up this stuff when I am not. I am not saying make this a big fight, rather I am saying the opposite. Detach with love. Meet with your son and know his wife is an impediment but if you get this lunch, just enjoy it as much as humanly possible given the craziness.

OP posted:

We met and lunch was nice. We talked about the letter. Our son feels caught in the middle. Loves his wife and loves us. We talked about the counseling option but the three of us seemed to agree that we need to try to just talk first. Son gave his version of how his wife feels and I tried to explain my feelings. He has asked us not to contact them in any way and says he will try to work out a way for us to get together to talk whether with a counselor or without. I made it clear I am not going to be bullied. Period. He thinks we can resolve all this. I am grateful he thinks so and wants to try. We both told him we want his marriage to succeed and if that means we can’t be part of their lives then that’s what we will do but we really want to try to understand AND be understood. Right now I am exhausted and I don’t know what will happen. I am sure it will be months before we hear from them again. And if she refuses to meet – and I honestly think she will refuse – then I am not going to keep trying to reach out. She wears grudges like they are designer gowns and while I genuinely feel sorry for her I am not going to be a willing doormat. For my son’s sake I hope she is a better person than I can see her as at this time.

OP posted:

Just to be real here – the one place I don’t have to “fake it”. I’ve been crying for the last three days. I want all this to be over. I do let her – and him – get into my head and beat me up and leave me feeling like I’m worthless and shameful and self-centered and toxic (her favorite word). So I cry and talk to myself and try really hard not to worry my sweet husband who would do anything to make this better. I try to just keep moving forward but I feel like I’m stuck. Then I feel bad that I’m feeling sorry for myself. Then I’m angry at them and me and I hate this whole stupid mess. In a few weeks, I know things will be better.
These people are loving exhausting.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just started a rewatch of The Sopranos and reading these stories in Livia Soprano’s voice is spot-on.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Boywhiz88 posted:

I just started a rewatch of The Sopranos and reading these stories in Livia Soprano’s voice is spot-on.

Try listening to Ruth Westheimer for a few seconds, then reading these

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

MasBrillante posted:

This was her first post on the site:

Lol did this lady just admit she married some guy and moved away and abandoned her son with a relative? Then wonders why he won't talk to her?

Anyway, here's a lady with enough self-awareness to know the estrangement is her fault and yet:

quote:

Hi, I am new here. My daughter, my once best friend, has refused to have anything to do with me for almost 3 years. She just turned 27. Much of why she has shut me out is my own fault. That fact haunts me every day. Three years ago, my daughter, her husband, and our baby grandson (our first grandchild) lived 20 minutes away, having moved from 300 miles away to be closer to us. I would pick her and the baby up several times a week for various outings. Every Thursday I picked them up and brought them to our home to do laundry. Our son-in-law was laid off mid summer of 2016. He couldn’t really find another job so they made the decision to move to his relative’s home 600 miles away. I was devastated. I didn’t handle that move well at all. All was still well between us. We visited when we could. But, two and a half years ago life fell apart for all of us. We got a late night call from our son-in-law telling us that our daughter had asked him to go with our grandson to his parents for a few nights because she wasn’t sure she loved him anymore. I was furious. My daughter has never really followed through with anything–she changed high schools 3 times, she changed college majors twice before eventually just dropping out… I finally got a hold of her (she was furious that our son-in-law had even called us). She said she shouldn’t have gotten married in the first place (they had been married 3 years at that time). I nicely told her she should have thought of that before she brought a baby into the world. We visited our son-in-law and our grandson a few months after this. We thought we could see our daughter too, but she refused to see us. Our son-in-law (and his mom who was there) assured us they didn’t intend to keep our grandson from us. I tried a few more times to reach out to my daughter (we only had Facebook as a means of communicating because she changed her phone number and we didn’t know where she was living). I was shut down. Our son-in-law suddenly stopped talking to us and blocked us from sending messages on Facebook. We discovered that our son-in-law had filed for divorce and he had primary custody of our grandson. We decided to file for grandparents’ rights. My husband sent a message to our daughter telling her we were going to do that. She blasted us, telling us we would regret it if we did and to stay away from her son. She eventually sent me a message telling me she knew drug addicts who treated their kids better than I did when she and her husband separated. I wouldn’t go that far, but I do know, and admitted, that I totally screwed up in how I handled it. She also said we were not her family anymore. She has cut her siblings out of her life as well–even her brother who she was super close with (and who did nothing to her). Since then, we have seen pictures of our grandson (who turns 4 in two weeks and has no idea who we are) when our son-in-law posts them on Facebook. Our daughter, if she posts anything, does not allow us to see the posts. The only exception to that was Christmas morning when she posted some pictures that we actually got to see. I don’t know if that was a mistake or a gift.

I honestly didn’t think a heart could break over and over again and hurt more each time. I don’t know what else to do. I miss my daughter so much. I miss my grandson and my heart hurts to be a part of his life. My heart hurts for him–for the mess his parents have made in his life. The only good aspect of that is I know our grandson is well loved–our former son-in-law is a great daddy. Still, I find myself envious of his parents who get to see him and spend time with him on a regular basis. He only knows them as grandma and grandpa.

I have acknowledged the mistakes I made when she left her husband. I have apologized and asked for forgiveness. I even admitted to her that I am getting help on how to handle my emotions better. She doesn’t care. I know the longer this goes the less chance there will ever be reconciliation. This is incredibly heartbreaking. I admit that often I have thought about ending my life just to make her feel bad. Thankfully, I have resources to help me through those difficult moments. It still hurts so, SO much

- is mad and thinks her daughter should stay in a marriage in which she's unhappy because... She should stick with it because she doesn't follow through with anything :confused:
- filed for grandparents rights
- states that she know her grandson is loved because he has a great father (no mention of their daughter and her being a great mother, this is very telling)
- wants to kill herself for the ultimate guilt trip

Just based on the way she talks about her daughter I think this lady thinks that the only mistake she made was not keeping her mouth shut. She doesn't acknowledge her actual mistake, which was being a lovely unsupportive parent who is so batshit she's thought of killing herself in some sort of petty revenge.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Ebola Roulette posted:

Lol did this lady just admit she married some guy and moved away and abandoned her son with a relative? Then wonders why he won't talk to her?

Anyway, here's a lady with enough self-awareness to know the estrangement is her fault and yet:

- is mad and thinks her daughter should stay in a marriage in which she's unhappy because... She should stick with it because she doesn't follow through with anything :confused:
- filed for grandparents rights
- states that she know her grandson is loved because he has a great father (no mention of their daughter and her being a great mother, this is very telling)
- wants to kill herself for the ultimate guilt trip

Just based on the way she talks about her daughter I think this lady thinks that the only mistake she made was not keeping her mouth shut. She doesn't acknowledge her actual mistake, which was being a lovely unsupportive parent who is so batshit she's thought of killing herself in some sort of petty revenge.

This gave me flashbacks to that Dirty John podcast, which is incredibly upsetting.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Holy gently caress, threatens suicide to get back at her own daughter? That's...wow.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you've been abusive or otherwise a loving garbage parent, I don't think your kids are going to shed many tears when you die.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Xik posted:

If you've been abusive or otherwise a loving garbage parent, I don't think your kids are going to shed many tears when you die.

This isn't true. My uncle was an abusive prick and his kids are still torn up about how poo poo their relationship was and how it never got repaired before he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Xik posted:

My mom and grandmother had a lifetime of unresolved hostility and I think my grandma dying without my mom getting the closure she needed to either repair the relationship or put it behind her really hosed her up.