Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Volmarias posted:

If we get to get rid of all of the sales and marketing overhead of pharma I'm not seeing a downside.

I think IP law isn't a bad idea but it dramatically needs updating. Patents are based on the idea that it takes years for news of discoveries to travel, Copyright is great if you're Disney and terrible if you're anyone else.
Patents are based on the idea that it's better to give people a monopoly for a limited period of time in exchange for disclosure of inventions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
yes but with software it’s not as straight forward, and you’re constantly trying to make your patent super vague so as to also capture other possible reinventions of it without using it yourself. to the point that even with the patent you can’t recreate the software from it because it’s lacking so much detail. it’s not like posting pseudo code of an algorithm.

I’ve reviewed and am named on various patents and it’s the most horrific poo poo ever. I’m ready for the guillotine when the time comes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mystes posted:

I just feel the need to point out that if you eliminated all patents you would have to fund pharma research directly but that wouldn't be a bad thing.

lmao we already do.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

lmao we already do.
I mean that the government would have to pay for 100% of pharma research including clinical trials which it absolutely doesn't right now. Not just funding some basic research that leads to drugs.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
GitHub 'Actively Encourages' Hacking, Suit Filed Against Company After Capital One Hack Says

https://www.courtlistener.com/docket/16005708/aballo-v-capital-one-financial-corporation/

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bring back copyright registration for software only. want a copyright, publish your source code

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.onlysp.com/e3-website-media-personal-information/

E3 Expo leaks personal info of everyone who got media credentials.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

sometimes you don't even bother with software patents. if your proprietary sauce is disruptive for only a few years, you might not even get a chance block a competitor while the tech is still relevant

it's often the right choice to just forego patent application and spend the otherwise wasted expenses/effort on lawyers coming to market faster

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo while I'm ranting, might as well point out that half the intellectual property talent with active bar membership in this drat country has no clue how to write a blocking patent. Good ip lawyers with the skillset needed to correctly prompt developers for the right information and develop a good patent application that will actually stand up to a competitor's challenge aren't cheap.

"I've written hundreds of patents in my 15 years" sure yes but have they ever been tested

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i have a software patent related to education of children and i havent done anything with it except look up my name on google's patent search and see if anyone has cited it.

they're dumb as hell

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Boiled Water posted:

I disagree, certifications are worth their weight in gold to get past HR

Become notable in the industry, and HR gets told they are hiring you, instead of vice versa.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Munkeymon posted:

def. close the patent office to software yeah

And also get rid of all other IP law when it comes to trademarks/copyrights

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also lmao at any dumb bastard who uses any idea or concept i've been involved with to teach someone something

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

also lmao at any dumb bastard who uses any idea or concept i've been involved with to teach someone something
perhaps as a good example of how not to do something?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm sure suing Microsoft will turn out well for them

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
whoever wrote that complaint really likes italicising the phrase three months

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mystes posted:

“640K ought to be enough for anyone.” Charles H Duell, Commissioner of the US Patent Office 1899.

to be fair to him; 640K *was* a shitload of RAM back in 1899

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Aug 3, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
pffft, more like charles h. dooky

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Become notable in the industry, and HR gets told they are hiring you, instead of vice versa.

instead of...HR getting told that you are hiring them?

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Patents are good. Our patent lawyer at work does like 0 due diligence so they all get rejected but I get 1000 bucks if I submit an application so I keep throwing poo poo at the wall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nomnom Cookie posted:

bring back copyright registration for software only. want a copyright, publish your source code

what problem does this solve?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Potato Salad posted:

sometimes you don't even bother with software patents. if your proprietary sauce is disruptive for only a few years, you might not even get a chance block a competitor while the tech is still relevant

it's often the right choice to just forego patent application and spend the otherwise wasted expenses/effort on lawyers coming to market faster

they are a useful asset when dealing with acquisitions, that's about the only reason I can think of

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

what problem does this solve?

idk, idc. software IP law is going to be whatever FAANG, MS, Oracle decide it will be so i'm free to want whatever dumb bullshit

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Subjunctive posted:

instead of...HR getting told that you are hiring them?

instead of you getting told you're hiring HR

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nomnom Cookie posted:

idk, idc. software IP law is going to be whatever FAANG, MS, Oracle decide it will be so i'm free to want whatever dumb bullshit

Overly optimistic. We had a nice parent patent trolling reform law they all backed and it was killed by Harry Reid because his constituency of trial lawyers comes first.

E: damnit

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 3, 2019

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

Overly optimistic. We had a nice parent trolling reform law they all backed and it was killed by Harry Reid because his constituency of trial lawyers comes first.

is parent trolling where parents troll their kids or where kids troll their parents?

can a parent troll their kid defensively to prevent the kid from trolling them?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

D. Ebdrup posted:

If the vcs server with the code got hacked and there aren't cryptographically signed files from before and after the hack that can be verified, Reflections On Trusting Trust by Ken Thompson should pretty much scares the living daylights out of anyone, I think?

agreed obsd is not verifiably secure and no one should use it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

You take that back!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

PCjr sidecar posted:

quick, someone rewrite it in ocaml and then get to work with coq

in other news, pwnie nominations are up and there's been so many even i've not heard of all of them
endless september is forever

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

agreed nbsd is verifiably insecure

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

:supaburn:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

is parent trolling where parents troll their kids or where kids troll their parents?

can a parent troll their kid defensively to prevent the kid from trolling them?

ime trollin kids just teaches em how to do it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nomnom Cookie posted:

ime trollin kids just teaches em how to do it

yes, it’s an essential parenting activity

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/whid_injector/status/1157976716196941824?s=21

This is how you get on a list somewhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We post in YOSPOS, we're likely on a list already.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

that seems incredibly ill-advised

like, absolute best case scenario, you don't kill anyone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i legit thought these things were hardwired and not using stuff the automotive industry threw away years ago for being too awful.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

If we don't publish which frequencies we use, we are completely safe :agesilaus:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

recommendation 1.a.2.q: rotate radio channel assignments at least once every 120 days