Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think it was KakerMix that said he uses 0000 steel wool for water spots. I bet meatpimp can chime in with something as well.

I too use steel wool for water spots and very stuck on grime and bug splatter.

This is the exact steel wool I use,

https://smile.amazon.com/Steel-Supe...EKDW4K9PABEXNYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

This also removes hairline scratches

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Some Guy From NY posted:

I too use steel wool for water spots and very stuck on grime and bug splatter.

This is the exact steel wool I use,

https://smile.amazon.com/Steel-Supe...EKDW4K9PABEXNYA

I've also used this exact wool and it works great.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
You guys are awesome, I’ll give that steel wool a try

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Combat Theory posted:

This also removes hairline scratches

Good for windshields too? Mine is rich with fine scratches

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

I bought it specifically for that, but it also very much depends on the pad you use.

I use 135mm visco-fiber pads that are basically the big version of the white fiber pads the average car shop has laying around in a drawer to put on a cordless drill in order to fix minor scratches in paint.

This is absolutely not like polishing paint, you'll need a beefy rotary polisher, speed and pressure and lots of polish and it will make a mess, but it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WFqn3skj0k

3M has a complete line of abrasive products specifically for glass but it's all hella expensive so I only ever used the polish. It'll do most of the stuff that you absolutely can not feel with a fingernail. For more you will need the diamond sanding discs which cost more than a new windshield.

Mirka swears that it's famed abralon disks will do glass sanding but I never tried that and they are also expensive but not so much as the 3m glass sanding stuff. (see video above)

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 3, 2019

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Thought I had a cracked head or blown headgasket on the now-legal turbo swapped 323 Wagon. I pulled the head only to find it was fine. Unfortunately, I slipped on the cardboard under the car and dropped the head on the block, damaging the sealing surface for the headgasket at the bores :sigh:

The only close Miata head on eBay is on its way (here on the 8-10th), I'll do the valve stem seals and put it back together hopefully before August 15th, when its being shown at the Concourd d'Lemons in Monterey. In the mean time I'll clean the rest of the stuff up I just slapped on. I think my 32 year old brand new in box HKS F-CON lost its ROM data :(

I was so proud to have it pass BAR testing and inspection, but now I don't want to touch it any more. I haven't even put on the other cool HKS stuff yet. Maybe I'll do that while I wait.

Autoexec.bat
Dec 29, 2012

Just one more level
Put a new radiator in my Golf, found out the old one was a cheap aftermarket one from the late 90's and now my car runs cooler. The replacement is something like 20% thicker than the one that was in there and actually has top and bottom strips.

Also went to the junkyard and got injectors, coils, and a spare smog pump for my Volvo, $65 for over $700 in parts.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I spent my night cutting threads
Went to check out a noise that happens when I stopped or started moving. Found out that the AAA mechanic I went to didn't only forget to put all of the bolts on my engine mount, but the smooth brained paste eater also stripped the threads off of all the bolts and their respective holes that he'd remembered to put on. Including the body bracing and splash guards :suicide:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Wash, clay, wax, rub every surface with a MF towel until i needed to sit down. Then got some high quality Kirkland brand premium fuel on the way home. Also did a couple launches on the way to the gas station. :grin:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Two wheel sensors down, two to go on my S600. Along with the blower motor job that is halfway done cause I'm old and not a contortionist.

edit: And feel it the next day.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I had a tail light out, it isn't the bulb so somewhere the wiring is fuckered but I ain't finding out where because that involves pulling all the interior off the inside of the car. So I YOLO'd it by connecting it to the light on the other side.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Picked up one of my stalled projects today. 9 months at the machinist... Worth it.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

the spyder posted:

Picked up one of my stalled projects today. 9 months at the machinist... Worth it.

Politely requesting a video of the sick braps when you get it installed :madmax:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Picked up some OEM rock sliders from a guy who took them off his ZR2. Installed them on my Z71. Hated those naked pinch welds.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

Pretty!

I put a modern head unit in my Scooby:

Alpine mechless, BT, CarPlay, camera inputs, etc. Very nice. One feature I like that's unique to it (for now) is that you can two-finger swipe up and down for volume, or side to side for track/station skip.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Pretty!

I put a modern head unit in my Scooby:

Alpine mechless, BT, CarPlay, camera inputs, etc. Very nice. One feature I like that's unique to it (for now) is that you can two-finger swipe up and down for volume, or side to side for track/station skip.

Link? I really like how shallow it is in your other photos.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

the spyder posted:

Link? I really like how shallow it is in your other photos.

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_169259_Alpine-ILX-W650.html

Pretty much the same price everywhere else, too, but I like Sonic Electronix. For one, they give you the dash kit and wiring harness for free with a head unit purchase.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Also, that camera I got has a FOV of 190 degrees!
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_164401_NVX-XC190W-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Parking-Reverse-Camera-Wide-Angle-Waterproof.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Sourced my underdash rattle in the Sierra to the 110v converter. It's held in with a tab and a stud. I took it all out anf used a few strips of dynamat between every interface and it's gone.

It's been driving me crazy for a while and I had it temporarily squelched but never really treated it. What a relief.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
If anyone has 4 pot Brembos with the 2 brake pad retaining pins, pray to all the gods before you change pads on a previously unserviced for ages one. The motherfuckers had to be drilled out, and it's not like it's super soft metal or anything.

At least that part is over. Paint and refurb kit next and then this nightmare of a job is done.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

hattersmad posted:

I’ve had gnarly water spots building on the back window for years. Tried a bunch of things that didn’t work, and finally bit the bullet to try my hand at using a claybar. Definitely works, but it took like four hours and there are still some water spots left. Overall waaayy better than it was, though. If any of you have tips let me know.

Before

After

https://www.amazon.com/Duragloss-755-Automotive-Glass-Remover/dp/B0007IJR1I/

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Just because I was cocky after the super simple A/C line install, the timing belt tensioner tool snapped. Thankfully I managed to buy some lockring pliers that worked well, but man was I sweating there for a bit. New water pump and timing belt fitted. Was simpler than I thought, but it's also a bit scary when there is potential to ruin the engine. Going to finish up today and fit my newly refurbed and painted caliper + new discs and hopefully it all runs.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Over this entire week but:

Stripped the FC out as far as I want to. Motor, trans, driveshaft, mirrors, coilovers, steering rack, calipers, Haltech and engine harness, exhaust, wheels, assorted interior bits and mirrors all ready to go up for sale. Shell got rolled out on dollies and now I just have to find someone to take it away.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 10, 2019

doogle
May 24, 2003

https://youtu.be/iYxEzI0W69o

I installed an ATI balancer, melling oil pump, new chain/guide, an improved racing crank scraper, and a livernois 2c cam kit this weekend. Took about 40 hours, plus a 6 hour parts run on a Sunday getting the only non-broken crank pulley installer from autozone in a 50 mile radius.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

doogle posted:

I installed an ATI balancer, melling oil pump, new chain/guide, an improved racing crank scraper, and a livernois 2c cam kit this weekend. Took about 40 hours, plus a 6 hour parts run on a Sunday getting the only non-broken crank pulley installer from autozone in a 50 mile radius.

Chevy SS?

doogle
May 24, 2003

Yes

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

doogle posted:

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that any rent-a-tool from Autozone that has threads is going to be fubared.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Colostomy Bag posted:

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that any rent-a-tool from Autozone that has threads is going to be fubared.

Especially if I've previously rented it.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Especially if I've previously rented it.

If they don’t want me to use an electric impact on their tools, they shouldn’t put hex heads on them :colbert:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That sounds loving amazing :gizz:

doogle
May 24, 2003

If you don’t have these tools (or their other-brand equivalents), you truly hate yourself. The electric ratchet improved my tolerance for working on cars more than when I first discovered ratcheting wrenches.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

doogle posted:

Oof, nice.
I need to get cams and exhaust on my Crown Vic (barely in the same ballpark, I know...) just so it sounds better, if nothing else. I'm actually fairly happy with how it scoots as a daily driver. The part I hate is that cams cost twice as much, because there's two. On the plus side, they're still pretty cheap, since 2 billion Mustangs use the same 4.6 2V engine.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
My housemate got a free shitbox so I helped him clean it up a bit. 1998 Buick LeSabre with 296kmi on the clock. Probably got flooded up to the wheel wells since I found a bunch of clay packed in the rocker panels. We recovered about $10 in loose change. Engine has a mild oil weep off the bottom but all the fluids smelled pretty clean save the brakes. Someone has at some point swapped out the Dexcool with regular antifreeze which I'm presuming is a good thing since Dexcool eats seals.

I'm impressed how well the interior has held up once I got all the shmooze cleaned off. As someone who has spent many late nights watching car detailing vids on YouTube, it was deeply satisfying.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Digital cluster upgrade in the Mustang. Been wanting to do this for a while. You can swap the optional LCD cluster into models that didn't come with it (even into older 2015-2017 models with a couple extra parts) Since I have a 2018 all I needed was the cluster, a new bezel, and two new steering wheel buttons for the new functionality.

Before:

Old and new cluster/bezel:

Pop off the airbag to unscrew and replace the buttons. I had done this once before when I installed the GT350 steering wheel, so I was familiar with this much.

From there its pulling off a bunch of interior panels to get the bezel and cluster out. No pics of this because I was sweating my balls off and wanted to get it done.

All buttoned up:

First power up before coding, a billion error messages, some that are real head scratchers:

Finally it was just a matter of using Forscan to code all the correct options into my cluster to match my car, and nicely they updated it recently so you can adjust mileage (only raising it, but still super handy). My cluster was brand new so I raised mileage to match actual.

Ahh there we go. Normal mode:

Sport:

Track:

It's super customizable, you can pick a primary and secondary color, right now I've settled on red for primary (the filled in gauge area) and gray for secondary (all the gauge rings and text). You can also display 3 chosen gauges graphically or more in text, and also cycle the other usual stuff like trip meters, MPG, tire pressure, etc.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

doogle posted:

If you don’t have these tools (or their other-brand equivalents), you truly hate yourself. The electric ratchet improved my tolerance for working on cars more than when I first discovered ratcheting wrenches.

+1

I just bought a cheap-ish Kobalt and it has made my life easier in ways I could barely imagine. Totally worth the cash if you work on cars at all, especially rusty ones like mine

Elmnt80 posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAÀAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

also +1. i need that in my car like, yesterday

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 12, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

That was a pretty cool swap.

Elmnt80 posted:

Haha

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
NGL, I was hoping it was an aftermarket cluster that would be available to fit multiple cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

NGL, I was hoping it was an aftermarket cluster that would be available to fit multiple cars

They’re available, but for more money than I want to pay.