Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

This may have been one of the most idiotic decisions WCW ever made. Every match after his unmasking made it look like giant men were beating up a literal child. I'm still shocked that WWE never made the same mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Unmasked Rey is one thing. Unmasked Rey with DEVIL HORNS like he had on the final Nitro is somehow even worse.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The American Dream posted:

The worst one they dropped the ball on was Austin because they knew how good he was. He was upper midcard on his way to main event for 2 years before hogan and his buddies came in.

Undertaker and hhh? 2 young guys that knew they could have a better chance elsewhere. I can’t fault wcw for losing them. There’s not a single person on earth that would look at mean mark callus and say he would be hugely popular for the next 30 consecutive years. Even Vince McMahon.

And no one outside hhh would say that he was destined to become one of the biggest stars of the 2000s and playing an not insignificant part in beating wcw.

The funniest thing is, if isn't wasn't for WCW and the Monday Night War, WWE most certainly would've dropped the ball on Austin and Foley as well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I just realized that now only Sting survives from those who were invited to a party......

AT THE WHITE CASTLE OF FEAR!

:smith:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Once I heard Hogan said he only invoked his CC clause twice.
Now while I have a hard time believing anything that comes out of Hogans mouth I also realize that he probably barely ever needed CC since Bischoff would snap his spine to accommodate him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Or Nick Patrick, I guess.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

I know that WWF were wanting to build to Hart/Hogan at Summerslam 93 and Hogan insisted on putting Yokozuna over instead, do we know if he also helped keep Bret from getting anywhere in WCW?

Bret/Hogan was supposed to be one of the destinations from the Starrcade 97 main event. They stop/started on it a couple of times and after briefly feuding Hart with the nWo they put him in/adjacent to the nWo to eventually go back there. Then Hogan bailed for the fall to "run for President/return after football season" and was feuding with Flair when he got back. Then he got surgery and Owen died.

So now the story changes. Hogan now sees money in a match with Bret, and he pushes for a match at Fall Brawl, but that doesn't happen either so we get the Sting heel turn and then Russo comes in. Russo's plan for Hogan is to make him an anti-authority babyface so they do the worked shoot at Havoc and he vanishes, and Bret's career is over before he gets back.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Jerusalem posted:

I just realized that now only Sting survives from those who were invited to a party......

AT THE WHITE CASTLE OF FEAR!

:smith:

Wrestling is hosed up. 6 people who participated at that SuperBrawl are dead now and that was only in 1993.

For frame of reference, 2 players from the 1993 Super Bowl starting lineups are dead despite it featuring more than twice as many participants

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The first Royal Rumble, in 1988, had 20 participants. One third of the field have passed away.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Not to take away too much from all of the premature deaths and tragedies in wrestling, but some of those stats are skewed by how wrestlers work long past the age that most other pro athletes would. Which probably also contributes to premature deaths, but unless we have different lists of "six participants at Superbrawl III":

Chris Benoit (26 at Superbrawl III)
Brian Pillman (31 at Superbrawl III)
Davey Boy Smith (31 at Superbrawl III)
Big Van Vader (38 at Superbrawl III)
Harley Race (50 at Superbrawl III)
Hiro Matsuda (56 at Superbrawl III)

The average age of an NFL player has hovered in the mid-late 20s for the past thirty years, which means that anyone playing in that game who avoided drug overdoses or murder-suicides haven't hit the point there they have the health problems that killed Vader/Matsuda/Race in their 60s or 70s.

I feel like the wrestling industry of the late 20th/early 21th century is enough of a charnel house of tragedy that it's weird to lump "heavy smoker dying of lung cancer at 76" into the pile.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Race and Matsuda were in manager roles as SB III, so while they might be taking an occasional bump, it wasn't like they were going as physical as Sting or The Great Muta.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Wrestlemania 6 is at over 50% Wrestlers/managers.

I don’t know if I have the stomach to look at those first few survivor series when there were 50-60 people on the card.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Davros1 posted:

Race and Matsuda were in manager roles as SB III, so while they might be taking an occasional bump, it wasn't like they were going as physical as Sting or The Great Muta.
They were still counted in the SBIII death count, in a way that I assume we aren't counting Dick Enberg or Michael Jackson or other people who were at the Super Bowl in 1993 but weren't active players.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The American Dream posted:

Wrestlemania 6 is at over 50% Wrestlers/managers.

I don’t know if I have the stomach to look at those first few survivor series when there were 50-60 people on the card.

SS 87 isn't too bad.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I thought Devil Horns Rey was the best of his incarnations, honestly. He wasn't completely shot yet so he still did a variety of moves and had a plethora good matches. Managed to avoid a lot of the usual Vince Russo racism, amazingly. UNless he was also in that tequila bottle on a pole match and I wiped it from my memory in shame.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Has there ever been a good _____ on a pole match? I'm sure there must have been, but I mainly associate that whole concept with terrible Vince Russo joke matches.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bret Hart and Davey Boy vs Vader and the Patriot was pretty good

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
~like this if you're a strong independent nWo member who don't need no WCW~

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

I thought Devil Horns Rey was the best of his incarnations, honestly. He wasn't completely shot yet so he still did a variety of moves and had a plethora good matches. Managed to avoid a lot of the usual Vince Russo racism, amazingly. UNless he was also in that tequila bottle on a pole match and I wiped it from my memory in shame.

He got remarkably good again after he lost his huge wwe weight

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

rujasu posted:

Has there ever been a good _____ on a pole match? I'm sure there must have been, but I mainly associate that whole concept with terrible Vince Russo joke matches.

i dunno, this 'pawn stars guy lookalike' vs 'fat luigi' match looks pretty solid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtY-ueby6Zk

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Bret Hart and Davey Boy vs Vader and the Patriot was pretty good

Positive there's been some good flag matches, which sorta originated the concept

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It’s sad that flag matches, the backbone of xenophobia in pro wrestling, have been lumped together with pole matches.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I remember seeing some tape of Ted DiBiase having good coal miners gloves on a pole matches for Mid South but they were pretty short and sweet TV sprints.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Judy Bagwell on a forklift tho

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCDTwGUo_5A

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Two things:

One, that angle/feud was so fun, just wish it'd ended in Wargames somehow

Two, Flair for the Gold's opening credits rule and simultaneously, are very much a product of it's time

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Two things:

One, that angle/feud was so fun, just wish it'd ended in Wargames somehow

Two, Flair for the Gold's opening credits rule and simultaneously, are very much a product of it's time

Yeah, they could have found some other people for Wargames. Too bad the Clash rating with their tag match had disappointing ratings, since the obvious step was to break up the Blondes, one of the best acts in wrestling at the time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Listening to the latest Talk is Jericho (ever since someone told me the intro song is TAAACOS JERICHO BABY TAAAACOS JERICHO and it was an ad for Chris Jericho's new Mexican restaurant, that's all I can hear), David Arquette was on and talking about his time with WCW.

Arquette says he was looking at a 'list of all the dumbest poo poo WCW has ever done' and grumbling that he was #1 on the list, but then he saw "Judy Bagwell on a pole" match and thought "Oh that's insane I have to watch this," started watching it, and didn't realise he had completely blocked out that he was in that fuckin match

WCW got so bad, people have literally created psychological blocks to forget they were ever part of it.

edit: it starts around 38:25 on the podcast

pathetic little tramp fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 9, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

pathetic little tramp posted:

'list of all the dumbest poo poo WCW has ever done'
I immediately pictured the list looking like this but even longer:

Number three: Judy Bagwell on a pole

Number four: Black Scorpion

Number five: Judy Bagwell on a forklift

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc M posted:

I immediately pictured the list looking like this but even longer:

Number three: Judy Bagwell on a pole

Number four: Black Scorpion

Number five: Judy Bagwell on a forklift

that's a good picture illustrating the lighting difference in WCW, which I liked better. It looked more sports-like with that lighting.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

that's a good picture illustrating the lighting difference in WCW, which I liked better. It looked more sports-like with that lighting.

Yeah, but they’d also put a bunch of advertisements on the mat and I always found that distracting.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Yeah, but they’d also put a bunch of advertisements on the mat and I always found that distracting.

also sports-like!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'll slap you silly.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Just for certain PPVs.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MassRafTer posted:

Just for certain PPVs.

:colbert: I'm still very cross about it.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
1800 collect 4 life

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Bring back the blimps, goddammit. Why did that ever stop?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bring back the blimps, goddammit. Why did that ever stop?

Bring back the monster trucks

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Randaconda posted:

I always loved the look and feel of NWA shows from the 80s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBzVubip_CA

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

pathetic little tramp posted:

Arquette says he was looking at a 'list of all the dumbest poo poo WCW has ever done' and grumbling that he was #1 on the list, but then he saw "Judy Bagwell on a pole" match and thought "Oh that's insane I have to watch this," started watching it, and didn't realise he had completely blocked out that he was in that fuckin match
Hahaha, oh my god.