Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
a MOOD wad????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Shadow Hog posted:

Shouldnt that actually be a liability?
Not when random shots start infighting against a cyberdemon as you quickly walk by.

Invisibility is a minor problem in a room full of shotgunners though.

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
yeah

doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom wad

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

a MOOD wad????

Ooooh! A box! I'm a marriage counselor and I have never seen this box before!

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

I think most of the new art in Hell-Forged uses renders of high-poly 3D models as a base for hardcore pixel-arting

The Hell-Forged creator's Doomwiki page (not quite up to date) refers to him as an "anime artist", so he probably has quite a bit of drawing experience. Whatever his method, he is absurdly talented at it. The ZDoom-Forums page for the wad has images of all the added or modified weapons and enemies, and some of them frankly look better than what you'd find in some commercial 90s FPSes. I'm especially fond of his take on the Spider Mastermind.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man i spent near an hour and a half tonight trying to do slaughterfest 3 map28 and just could not for the life of me figure out how to finish it. Got so frustrated i ended up doing a changemap to the next level and quit for the night lol

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I haven't played Doom in more than 10 years, but for some reason I decided to play a WAD, and ended up playing https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/supplydp. As it turns out, it was pretty amazing! Anyone got recommendations for other WADs like this, where it's a single massive map with its own progression?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Songbearer posted:

Maybe a weird place to ask this but ever since I grew up along with these kinds of graphics I've always wondered how these absurdly detailed pixel art things were done. Is it digitised artwork or just genuine pixel art, or a combination of both? It just blows my mind how absurd they are.

You render them, physically model/photograph them or paint/draw them then knock them down to the pallet and resolution you're going to use and then hand edit pixel art over them till they look right.

I really like how this monster looks from hell forged

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Elswyyr posted:

I haven't played Doom in more than 10 years, but for some reason I decided to play a WAD, and ended up playing https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/supplydp. As it turns out, it was pretty amazing! Anyone got recommendations for other WADs like this, where it's a single massive map with its own progression?

This is really good so far; I only just got the blue key and it's nice playing a map that is big and sprawling and detailed with a high enemy count that isn't a pseudo-slaughtermap like Hellbound. I would be interested in more things like this as well

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Elswyyr posted:

I haven't played Doom in more than 10 years, but for some reason I decided to play a WAD, and ended up playing https://doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/supplydp As it turns out, it was pretty amazing! Anyone got recommendations for other WADs like this, where it's a single massive map with its own progression?

Haha, this level is so awesome, from the voxel Doom Vehicles and custom textures to the super twisty level layout. I love how it feels like a real factory type of place that has recently come under some very gribbly renovations.

edit: The custom bosses and changing music and scripted saves are also super cool!! This whole thing had SO much effort put into it!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Aug 4, 2019

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Elswyyr posted:

Supply Depot is very good, yes. It's why it had a Cacoaward.

Another long & pretty levels are Hurt, Infraworld Hatehammer. Counterattack is a 6-map wad, but each one is pretty big too, with a similar progression.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Turin Turambar posted:

Supply Depot is very good, yes. It's why it had a Cacoaward.

Man, 11 years of work. I always think stuff like this is worth playing just because taking part in something that has taken a substantial chunk of person's life is something worthy of attention.

I guess occasionally it's taken a substantial chunk of a person's life and ends up poo poo, but then it's worthy of a sadder kind of attention.

the cool posts kid
Jul 24, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

What's the ideal not-the-goddamn-brackets bind setup for being able to scroll through/use (I don't remember if you need a unique key for use item in those games) anyhow? Q + E would force Use to be somewhere else which feels wrong, R + F generally don't match the orientation. And no, I don't have any of your fancypants mice with extra buttons!!!! :argh:

i bind z and c to scroll, and x to use, it's still kinda awkward though, but you can use your thumb for them

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I got a mouse with a scroll wheel that can rock side to side and I'm impressed that it just automatically got bound to inventory select. Before that though, I used the same zxc setup, or sometimes q/e select and alt to use.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's funny and sad to realize that this mod's probably doing better player-wise than the game that inspired it. It's definitely doing better development-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcInvtzgpw

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1157722799387095040

:hmmyes:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I never understood the hate for Doom 3. Sure it's almost nothing like the originals but it's fine in its own way. The only thing I don't like about it is having to listen to a several minute audio log for a code to open a ammo locker.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Kins posted:

It's funny and sad to realize that this mod's probably doing better player-wise than the game that inspired it. It's definitely doing better development-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hcInvtzgpw

Eh, I really doubt that. Quake Champions may not be hot poo poo but doom mods are pretty niche. There's still plenty of people playing QC.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Are Plutonia, TNT: Evilution and No Rest for the Living good and worth playing? Never had a go at them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
plutonia and tnt are very much worth playing imo. personally i think plutonia is the best of the three, but its also hard as gently caress, so keep that in mind. no rest for the living is a decent playthrough, but i dont think its comparable in quality to the final doom wads

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Overbite posted:

I never understood the hate for Doom 3. Sure it's almost nothing like the originals but it's fine in its own way. The only thing I don't like about it is having to listen to a several minute audio log for a code to open a ammo locker.

I mean, that's problem the first: It's nothing like the originals. The name on the box matters to people and creates expectations. Hell, even here on SA where we've never once stopped singing the praises of Prey, goons still regularly filter in going "wait I thought it was a sequel to that dumb old shooter, what do you mean it's System Shock 3???" revealing that people still care a great deal about what a game is called. (I personally don't buy into that myself, but here we are.)

I would also argue that even as its own thing it's not particularly stellar. It's mired in its strange middle ground between jump scare-centric horror game, atmospheric story-driven horror game (ie, all of the audiologs and emails it really wants you to care about), and a run and gun-ish shooter. It often fails to merge those elements together in a satisfying way and all three struggle with their own individual issues as well.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…and the monster closets. And the monster-closets-without-even-bothering-with-a-closet. It gets so formulaic that only a few maps in, you start being able to turn and face and immediately dispatch new spawns, often facing the right direction before the spawn animation even starts. It also manages the amazing combination of being completely linear and yet being horridly bad at telling you where to go.

It looks decent and the shooting is… passable. But it's not a very well-designed game, even in the pantheon of iD tech demos.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The one really spooky area of Doom 3 is the one where nothing spawns when you pull switches.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

FEAR managed to do everything Doom 3 wanted but better. I still kinda like Doom 3 but of all id games, I even prefer in certain parts Rage over it. Still well worth a playthrough at least and I'll end getting it on PS4 too because lol at not owning several retail and digital versions of all Doom games.

-Doom 1/2 on Steam, GOG, Doom 95 amd the ones coming on BFG edition.

-Doom 3 on PC (retail and steam).

-Doom 3 BFG on PC retail (redeemed on steam) and GOG. Retail on Xbox360. Soon on PS4.

-Doom 2016 digital PC and PS4 and retail (PS4).

Looking forwars to get Doom Eternal on PC and PS4 because :shepspends:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Actually, excellent timing, I just saw a Doom 3 mod that mentioned fhDOOM, a source port I'd never heard of before. It looks interesting, has anyone tried it? How is it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a game is always going to be judged harshly if it doesn't live up to previous entries. diablo 3 is probably a fine game in a vacuum but compared to the first and second game it's dogshit.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I love Diablo games and played thousands of hours between all three but I wouldn't play Diablo 1 more than what I'm doing now: playing GOG release until completion and then not touch it because it's too clunky for today's standards. Diablo 2 is cool but it ends being kinda boring without mods and Diablo 3 at least on console with a controller is a drat fun ARPG. Sure, it isn't as deep as Diablo 2 but Mephisto runs burned me in the past and well, it needs some gfx and interface clean up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is there a way to get around the bug in doom 3 where if you open some lift before turning power on you can’t go forward? Anything other than hoping for a previous save point?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a way to get around the bug in doom 3 where if you open some lift before turning power on you can’t go forward? Anything other than hoping for a previous save point?

Noclip?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Eeeh, I've had hours of amazing fun with Diablo 2, I've had even more hours of amazing fun with Diablo 3.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
took four months but I beat JDCP with the final doomer weaponset

a very good wad with some creative as hell levels. like I'm looking back at all the levels i went through in the wad and so many were these crazy, sprawling, creative maps that made creative use of the vanilla textures. Lunar truck stops, hellworld sea ports, a library planet. although there were more maps that has keycard hunting than I wanted. And the 29th map was.... too avant garde. It felt like someone took all the maps in the wad and threw them in a vat of acid, and made you take a stamp of acid before playing. But boy it got annoying with the amount of rules it broke and the lack of direction. I probably would've liked it much more if I played it separate of the wad as a single level experience, but it was the penultimate level that came after what felt like several of the WAD's largest and most enduring maps, and after minute 30 I just wanted it to end.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 4, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ive put way more hours into diablo 3 on my ps3 than i ever did as a kid with d2 cuz playing that kind of game with a controller becomes something i can do on the couch with a beer and enjoy instead of a chore where i have to click 1000 times a minute

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact these new Doom Ports such as the one on switch lack the Dpad weapon swapping is absolutely infuriating and I do not understand the thought process of not including that feature. This playthrough also made it how clear Doom 2 has some odd design choices stemming from not really beimg a sequel like the backpack is a stupid power up in Doom 2 but an excellent one in Doom 1.

Oh and Thy Flesh Consumed is ridiculously poorly paced difficulty wise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Barudak posted:

The fact these new Doom Ports such as the one on switch lack the Dpad weapon swapping is absolutely infuriating and I do not understand the thought process of not including that feature. This playthrough also made it how clear Doom 2 has some odd design choices stemming from not really beimg a sequel like the backpack is a stupid power up in Doom 2 but an excellent one in Doom 1.

Oh and Thy Flesh Consumed is ridiculously poorly paced difficulty wise.
?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I guess because by default, I think the backpack's boost to ammo capacity lasts for the entire game in Doom II, whereas it only lasts for an Episode in Doom. Which means that subsequent pick-ups are basically just extra ammo, if you're playing that way.

Of course, if you're playing pistol-start like me, you appreciate the subsequent backpacks and the whole gripe is moot.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I, in general, dont like the backpack since its a permanent buff that carries across levels and it sticks out like a design sore thumb because of that.

Beyond that in a continuous game of Doom 2 its pointless because as mentioned its a onetime power spike so theres no further progression after the first one and provides driplets of ammo otherwise. In a pistol start scenario since there isnt a defined "set" of maps, the backpack is in my opinion less well placed throughout Doom 2 since there isn't the same pressure to weave its accessibility into the difficulty of the given episode or even level.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In custom campaigns the backpack is a great way to let the player know that the enemies are about to step their numbers up, because generally if it's handed out you are going to need the extra ammo capacity lickety split.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I was playing Descent and it kind of feels like Blood in a ship. Open a door and get shot at instantly by everything on the other side. Turn a corner and robots are blasting you from all angles. I was playing on the middle difficulty but it still seems high. And no matter what sensitivity I use i still feel like I turn too slow.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Overbite posted:

I was playing Descent and it kind of feels like Blood in a ship. Open a door and get shot at instantly by everything on the other side. Turn a corner and robots are blasting you from all angles. I was playing on the middle difficulty but it still seems high. And no matter what sensitivity I use i still feel like I turn too slow.

The best way to play it is with the sort of input devices used for complicated 3D modeling work, or one of the old SpaceOrb 360 controllers which basically used the same kind of designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtRqgszxZlg

The core thing you get with this is a very good way to simultaneously input pitch, yaw, and roll although really nice flight sim joysticks can also work it well. The newer devices here are mostly intended to be operated with one hand while also using a keyboard or mouse in the other to handle all the controls.

Keyboard and mouse play can get very frustrating if you don't get very very good at reacting and memorizing where things are likely to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Kins posted:

I wanna say the developer had moved onto Jupiter Hell well before Bethesda came knocking. There were a lot of worries, but all that really changed in the end was the name.

There's also a GOG version.

Yeah, DoomRL was in maintenance mode and Jupiter Hell was at least being planned, if not developed, well before he got the demand to change the name.

Overbite posted:

If you're using one of the source ports (you should be) there's an option to uncap turn speed; with that enabled, it behaves like "normal" mouselook. In OG Descent there's a hard cap on turn speed whether you're using the keyboard, mouse, or joystick. That said, the game is really designed around this limited turn speed and IMO turning on true mouselook makes it feel dramatically different.

As for everything shooting at you when you enter a room -- don't forget that you can open doors from a distance (using flares or your main guns), which exposes you to a lot less danger than flying through the door face-first as you open it; also, don't forget that almost all attacks can be dodged, and even hitscanners will sometimes miss you if you're moving laterally to them. Also, if you're having trouble, on easier difficulties not only are enemies less aggressive, but their shots move slower and do less damage.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 5, 2019