Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

#7 was my second phone and it was great. No vibration feature, but it was a solid phone that worked quite some time on a full charge. My first one was the Motorola M3688, which had a neat feature in that with a separate battery lid it could run off of 4 AA batteries. Never bothered to get that lid though.

Of course I also had the 3310 with some cheap replacement covers. Got my own operator logo and some downloaded ringtones on there via my dialup modem while the rest of the country paid those SMS services to get that.

My most favorite pre-smartphone phone I had though was the Siemens S55 which I managed to score for cheap off of eBay along with the camera module and a spare battery, as well as a desk stand charger that held said spare battery so you could charge both at the same time. Lasted about a week on a full charge and it ran some Java apps including an IRC client.

The first smartphone I had was the HTC Wizard in its Orange-branded version. Chunky as heck, I ran it with a car holder/charger, a separate Bluetooth GPS Receiver and a pirated copy of TomTom for navigation in my car. I might even still have that receiver somewhere even though nowadays it's virtually useless. Due to the job I had back then I at one point even had two of them: One as my private phone and one as my work phone. I even used a few times it to connect via RDP to some servers for maintenance purposes when I was unable to use the work laptop for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Cell phone design peaked in 2007 and nothing can change my mind.

My most beloved phone of all time, probably because it was the first one I picked out and paid for myself, and it wasn't just a hand-me-down Nokia from my parents. Served its purpose dutifully until somebody spilled a ton of tequila on it in early 2010.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still have my OG Droid because it feels like it's some futuristic cyberpunk hacking deck. All it needs is a cool, telescoping antenna.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The HTC Tilt was pretty sweet.

But I think I had one app, which was a RSS news reader. All the imaginative hardware design in the world isn't going to make up for a lame Windows Mobile ecosystem.

I'm trying to remember if I had a game on this and the only thing I can think of is maybe DopeWars?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cojawfee posted:

I still have my OG Droid because it feels like it's some futuristic cyberpunk hacking deck. All it needs is a cool, telescoping antenna.

drat, I miss that keyboard.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

The HTC Tilt was pretty sweet.

But I think I had one app, which was a RSS news reader. All the imaginative hardware design in the world isn't going to make up for a lame Windows Mobile ecosystem.

I'm trying to remember if I had a game on this and the only thing I can think of is maybe DopeWars?

For the time there were a ton of apps and games for WM. I had Doom and Quake source ports running on mine, the real Worms and its knockoff Snails, offline maps, MS Money, a local public transport route finder, and a bunch of other stuff. One the app store came out and was flooded with all kinds of fart apps it couldn't compete of course but I never missed any functionality really.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
My last phone was this thing. Horrible keyboard, but what do you want for $99?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
hey i'm cross posting from the morrowind thread in games maybe someone will know what i'm talking about :

SniperWoreConverse posted:

oh man I used to have a SUPER OLD computer that my dad made me throw out

it was loving HYPER REAL and the keyboard had more than one kind of shift. The keys had additional characters on the sides, crazy poo poo like GRAPH and there was FUNCT SHIFT CTRL ALT META and I want to say two more

I actually spent a few hours trying to google what the gently caress this thing was, all I can remember is that it was monochrome green, iirc used a single RCA connector for video, and it was of the era where there would be a bigass label with a ton of information on it and this also had a gorilla on there like it was gorilla brand or something. I think my uncle stole it from a university in the 80s?

This thing was def of an era where the controls and alts ment something specific to program flow and pause/break also was important. Probably print screen would have literally printed the screen out, but I didn't have a printer for it.

anyway i bring it up because you guys need to get good and use META-FUNCTION-CTRL-5 to blast spells out. gently caress your "modern," "standard" keyboard bindings

another thing that I think this thing had was a lot of that silvered looking plastic, the matte kind? You know what I mean? They keyboard FOR SURE had one of those extremely old extremely huge barrel connectors, not the smaller one that you used to see had usb converters for.

Now that I think about it it could have had more than one row of f keys but i'm not really that sure, I do remember it having characters on the sides of the individual keys you had to meta shift into and maybe some of them were like math alpha pi numbers or something and some seemed to be command things like GRAPH

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

first was boring 2001 kyocera candybar- favorite of the end of that era was deffo the sony-ericsson walkman phone w350:

it was the perfect amount of little, fit snugly in the coin pocket of any pair of jeans

had some dumbshit sony propietary data/headphone connector, but other than that, favorite phone ever

would pay many dollars for a bluetooth handset that is basically that phone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hey i'm cross posting from the morrowind thread in games maybe someone will know what i'm talking about :

another thing that I think this thing had was a lot of that silvered looking plastic, the matte kind? You know what I mean? They keyboard FOR SURE had one of those extremely old extremely huge barrel connectors, not the smaller one that you used to see had usb converters for.

Now that I think about it it could have had more than one row of f keys but i'm not really that sure, I do remember it having characters on the sides of the individual keys you had to meta shift into and maybe some of them were like math alpha pi numbers or something and some seemed to be command things like GRAPH

So I don’t know the exact model but yeah that’s a thing! Sounds like an old terminal or scientific system of some type. You’re probably looking for a 60s to 80s model of some description, sounds like it used an AT connector for the keyboard maybe.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the "space cadet" keyboard, yes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, these are probably very similar if not the exact model: https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98&start=

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
It’s amazing to me that up until the early 2000’s I was still using a 35mm camera. Digital didn’t have the storage or resolution quite yet

I went on a six week trip to SE Asia in 2001 and came back with 12 rolls of 35 mm film

It cost $250 to get them developed and get prints

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Arivia posted:

Yeah, these are probably very similar if not the exact model: https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98&start=

I would wager prooobably not a Space Cadet keyboard. Those were specifically only shipped with hyper expensive mainframes and there's easily probably less than a thousand units of each ever made. Even the keyboard itself is not just something you can sneak away with, yet alone an entire mainframe system.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
that stuff looks drat close to the space cadet but I can't remember if it's exactly it or not. The colors might be off? Really I probably don't remember it that well, except i'm completely certain it had characters on the sides of the keys and seemed like ultra next level, but outdated, stuff.

It def had that whole super meta poo poo going on and for sure had no mouse of any kind. I think that might actually be it. I could believe it was some part of some mainfraime system like a terminal, but I dunno how he managed to smuggle it out. I do know he also somehow snagged a VHS when that poo poo was cutting edge.

Now that I think about it he may have been able to get it normally just by knowing a guy and we always joked that he stole it, but I'm fairly certain when he got it it was at least a little valuable. He gave me a ton of that poo poo way in the old days when I was first getting into computers. drat shame I let the old man pitch it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tangentially related to our topic, I've been watching old Cronenberg movies lately, and I think they're great, but it quickly occurred to me that no one's really gonna get stuff like Videodrome anymore these days. I've hardly ever seen a movie whose entire premise has been so thoroughly eliminated from our collective understanding by new developments in technology.

I also feel like we're missing out on something by not having visceral body horror movies about the evils of technology anymore. We get Black Mirror, which is all good and well, but from what I've seen - I'll admit, it was only two or three early episodes - it's more like an idle intellectual exercise in resolving (close) analogues and metaphors than something that grabs you by the collar and screams in your face THIS poo poo WILL gently caress YOU UP ON A VERY PERSONAL LEVEL.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Videodrome is dated not because the VHS format has been discontinued but because James Woods has turned a giant piece of poo poo.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

that stuff looks drat close to the space cadet but I can't remember if it's exactly it or not. The colors might be off? Really I probably don't remember it that well, except i'm completely certain it had characters on the sides of the keys and seemed like ultra next level, but outdated, stuff.

It def had that whole super meta poo poo going on and for sure had no mouse of any kind. I think that might actually be it. I could believe it was some part of some mainfraime system like a terminal, but I dunno how he managed to smuggle it out. I do know he also somehow snagged a VHS when that poo poo was cutting edge.

If not an actual Space Cadet, it could've been a Symbolics Keyboard, which was the later iteration of the concept.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

My last phone was this thing. Horrible keyboard, but what do you want for $99?

Here's my current phone, which I got in 2010. Battery still lasts a week with light usage. It's mostly functional except people sending emojis will corrupt the whole text message and make it unreadable. Also one hinge broke last month so it's a little floppy.

Work provides me with a smartphone so a flip-phone is all I need for my personal line. Unfortunately Verizon is shutting down CDMA at the end of the year so I'll have to get something else (any suggestions?)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

wa27 posted:

Here's my current phone, which I got in 2010. Battery still lasts a week with light usage. It's mostly functional except people sending emojis will corrupt the whole text message and make it unreadable. Also one hinge broke last month so it's a little floppy.

Work provides me with a smartphone so a flip-phone is all I need for my personal line. Unfortunately Verizon is shutting down CDMA at the end of the year so I'll have to get something else (any suggestions?)

If you want a smartphone with (relatively) great battery life and don't particularly care about having the highest performance or sharpest screen take a look at the Moto G7 Power. I have one and with light use it could last for 3 days on a single charge or all day if you literally use it constantly. It's also only $250 unlocked and supports all major carriers.

Since it seems like you don't use your personal phone a lot you should also take this opportunity to look in to cheap prepaid providers. For example, if you only need voice and text service check out Tello (which runs on Sprint's network) who offer unlimited voice/text for only $6 per month, or $10 per month if you want to throw in 1GB data on top.

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
My friend had a Juke.

He also had a Zune, so

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

If you want a smartphone with (relatively) great battery life and don't particularly care about having the highest performance or sharpest screen take a look at the Moto G7 Power. I have one and with light use it could last for 3 days on a single charge or all day if you literally use it constantly. It's also only $250 unlocked and supports all major carriers.

Since it seems like you don't use your personal phone a lot you should also take this opportunity to look in to cheap prepaid providers. For example, if you only need voice and text service check out Tello (which runs on Sprint's network) who offer unlimited voice/text for only $6 per month, or $10 per month if you want to throw in 1GB data on top.

Thanks. I didn't realize there were options that cheap out there for prepaid plans.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Exit Strategy posted:

If not an actual Space Cadet, it could've been a Symbolics Keyboard, which was the later iteration of the concept.

If it was a Symbolics machine, it would have definitely had a mouse, and he says there was no mouse. Which is good, because if he threw out a Symbolics machine (instead of sending it to me) he's history's greatest monster.

Note that the "graph" key may have simply been used to type additional characters, as in the AltGr key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key), rather than some sort of graphing-specialized thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lester Shy posted:

Cell phone design peaked in 2007 and nothing can change my mind.

My most beloved phone of all time, probably because it was the first one I picked out and paid for myself, and it wasn't just a hand-me-down Nokia from my parents. Served its purpose dutifully until somebody spilled a ton of tequila on it in early 2010.

:yeah:

I had a Rumor 2, and it was definitely my favorite phone. Having the internet in your pocket at all times is more cursed than blessed.

The saddest tech day of my life was probably when that thing died and I was dragged kicking and screaming into the touch screen era.

mystes
May 31, 2006

eminkey2003 posted:

My friend had a Juke.

He also had a Zune, so
This reminds me: The next to last (I think?) dumbphone I had was this microscopic candybar phone that I bought in 2007 (not my picture):

It was $20 as a prepaid phone from at&t so I could use it with my normal postpaid at&t account without extending my contract.

It was great except that it turned out the buttons were too small for my fingers and I just couldn't enter phone numbers correctly on it to save my life.

I ended up having to replace it with another dirt cheap prepaid phone that was a normal flipphone or something (and then I got an iphone in 2010).

It was cool how tiny and light (75 grams compared to 163 for my current smartphone) it was, though, and I guess it was ahead of its time in terms of being a phone that's impossible to actually use for phone calls.

mystes has a new favorite as of 16:33 on Aug 5, 2019

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

wa27 posted:

I had the model before that the LG "V"
Same idea only thicker. The V used mini-SD. I actually ripped some movies down to 320x240 (I think) to "watch" at work on that tiny rear end screen.

My actual first phone was an Ericsson something or other that isn't on that chart, but I also had one of the first StarTacs, back when your phone folding was a big deal.

Also, Nokia has re-released some of their old bangers: the 3310 and 8110. Not sure if they work on verizon though.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Peanut Butler posted:

first was boring 2001 kyocera candybar- favorite of the end of that era was deffo the sony-ericsson walkman phone w350:

it was the perfect amount of little, fit snugly in the coin pocket of any pair of jeans

had some dumbshit sony propietary data/headphone connector, but other than that, favorite phone ever

would pay many dollars for a bluetooth handset that is basically that phone
I think this was my last "feature phone" before I splurged on an HTC Incredible: a Sony Ericsson W580i in Jungle Green:

I loved how small it was, back when we valued cellphones for being small. I'd set shortcuts for all my important contacts and barely ever had to slide the thing open. It lived in my bedside table drawer for a long time post-obsolescence to live its second life as a reliable music alarm clock.

(My first cellphone was a 4 or something very much like it, though I don't remember a folding mouthpiece. It was a Motorola, square on the top and pointed on the bottom like a half-assed trapezoid. I had a protector for it that was essentially a thick plastic bag, molded to fit.)

eta: I just learned that the W580i was in You Don't Mess with the Zohan AND Paul Blart: Mall Cop. Wow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

wa27 posted:

You're my dad when he had to lose his startac when Verizon shut down their analog network.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

uli2000 posted:

None of the above. Let me introduce you to the late Sony Zuma

About the size of a pack of smokes, slightly shorter, with a flip out mic, I think my Motorola Advisor alphanumeric pager was slightly bigger tho thinner. It was on Sprint, because of course I was young and had lovely credit. It was basically the standard cheap rear end Sprint Qualcomm phone crammed into a smaller package, basically the same down to the scroll wheel for navigation. I ended up dumping it when I got engaged and we got Nextel phones because the walkie talkie was free and on Sprint we could only call each other like after 9 or 10pm or we'd blow our tiny allotment of minutes in a day or two, which sucked for her as she worked the early AM shift at the time. That thing weighed about a pound and could double as a weapon to bash a skull in if needed.

Before Sony got in bed with Ericsson, I think they used their own phone designers, borrowed from their quality radio division.

Their stuff felt really good to the touch and I am not sure it has been surpassed since. Look at those buttons: straight off their high-end shortwave radios.

The 'Mars Bar' phone - called cause it felt you were holding a satisfying chocolate bar in your hand and let's be honest, what's a better feeling than that?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Just how much grime got in those sliding and rotating keyboards on those phones?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Unperson_47 posted:

Just how much grime got in those sliding and rotating keyboards on those phones?

Plenty, especially if the phone was tumbling around in a purse.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This is my dad's current phone (Samsung Convoy). I took this pic 5 years ago after he had a house fire. It melted pretty bad and the outer screen is dead, but it still works fine. If Samsung had a museum, this should be in there like the Desert Storm Game Boy.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Pham Nuwen posted:

If it was a Symbolics machine, it would have definitely had a mouse, and he says there was no mouse. Which is good, because if he threw out a Symbolics machine (instead of sending it to me) he's history's greatest monster.

Note that the "graph" key may have simply been used to type additional characters, as in the AltGr key (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AltGr_key), rather than some sort of graphing-specialized thing.

is possible.

I swear if there was some website that cataloged the various kinds of this stuff and actually showed the labels on the backs of the monitors and poo poo I would be able to figure out exactly what it was, or at least what part of it was. I swear there was a gorilla emblem on there somewhere and it was rad as heck

Instead all I get are fuckin screenshots of custom nerd terminal emulator setups

if it had a mouse there was no mouse included when I received it.

wa27 posted:

This is my dad's current phone (Samsung Convoy). I took this pic 5 years ago after he had a house fire. It melted pretty bad and the outer screen is dead, but it still works fine. If Samsung had a museum, this should be in there like the Desert Storm Game Boy.

loving incredible that's awesome although it blows that's the way you guys found out about its durability

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

Before Sony got in bed with Ericsson, I think they used their own phone designers, borrowed from their quality radio division.

Their stuff felt really good to the touch and I am not sure it has been surpassed since. Look at those buttons: straight off their high-end shortwave radios.

The 'Mars Bar' phone - called cause it felt you were holding a satisfying chocolate bar in your hand and let's be honest, what's a better feeling than that?

"CELLULAR TELEPHONE" said in that 1920s radio voice

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

wa27 posted:

Is it old enough that it's going to lose connection once 2G GSM shuts down this year?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it old enough that it's going to lose connection once 2G GSM shuts down this year?

Yeah I'm going to have to find him something else soon.

Honestly I could see lots of outcry once the networks are turned off. Verizon hasn't sent out anything to me, my mom, or my dad to warn us of the shutoff. I found out earlier this year when I tried to activate an old phone on our business plan and found out you couldn't anymore. At this point in the year I would have expected texts, robocalls, and letters from Verizon saying "YOUR PHONE IS ABOUT TO STOP WORKING!", maybe with a coupon towards whatever their cheapest 4G flip phone is.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Shibawanko posted:

That's made me think a little:

See the earpiece and how in one photo it is 1/4" higher up the phone than the other? Although there is are SEND and END buttons to make and end the call, you could also do it by sliding the earpiece up/down - mimicking the actions of a landline phone. I wonder if that was done to reduce the learning curve?

Incidentally, the extendable aerial was completely fake and apparently, a lot of phones had fake ones too.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

wa27 posted:

Yeah I'm going to have to find him something else soon.

Honestly I could see lots of outcry once the networks are turned off. Verizon hasn't sent out anything to me, my mom, or my dad to warn us of the shutoff. I found out earlier this year when I tried to activate an old phone on our business plan and found out you couldn't anymore. At this point in the year I would have expected texts, robocalls, and letters from Verizon saying "YOUR PHONE IS ABOUT TO STOP WORKING!", maybe with a coupon towards whatever their cheapest 4G flip phone is.

We are a large corporate account with Verizon at work. And we have a small fleet of 2G only phones like the Convoys. Verizon hasn't mentioned anything about the shutdown to us yet. I only found out because they wouldn't let me activate a old 2G phone for a temporary backup a couple months ago.

If they are going through with it, they sure as hell are not advertising it. And neither are their MVNOs.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

wa27 posted:

Beaten by Mr.Radar but seconding the G7 power suggestion. Expect 3 - 5 days depending on usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Shibawanko posted:

Cellular Telephone! My baby loves her Cellular Telephone! Lets you talk anywhere! My baby is talking on it all day loooooooong.
Thank you.