Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I CRCed my console dumps and tested a few of them with MD5 after someone said CRC isn't valid anymore. If they passed CRCing they passed MD5 checks. I think if you're not worried about an actual adversary you can verify with pretty much anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
For home use, yeah, you can use pretty much whatever because the collision space is large enough on even MD5 that you're far more likely to have your system just randomly catch fire than than suffer a live collision. When you're an enterprise dealing with hundreds of terabytes of poo poo a day, or some hostile nation state trying to engineer an intentional collision, that's another story.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

DrDork posted:

Even colliding SHA-1 would take a completely infeasible amount of file storage to even begin to talk about, and I think by default ZFS dedup uses SHA-256. And if you're just doing simple checksumming without dedup, there's even less of a point in using SHA-512, but I guess if it's hardware accelerated then do whatever. On a home system with any sort of modern CPU it is unlikely to matter from a performance stance, anyhow.
They really want to use SHA-512/256 because it's faster than SHA-256 while preserving the same length.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I mean, yeah, if you've got QA cards to offload to then by all means go nuts but there just aren't enough permutations on a 128kb block to make a hash collision probable over sha256 compared to some other corruption event.

https://blogs.oracle.com/bonwick/zfs-deduplication-v2
The reason why SHA512 was chosen over SHA256 for ZFS (which, as you probably know, has variable records between 512 bytes and 256 kilobytes) is that even in software if any message beyond 448 bytes, SHA512 on any 64bit ISA is up to 60% faster than SHA256 (assuming ideal conditions, but in the real world it's ~50% faster) because it's only 25% more rounds and 64bit handle quadwords whereas 32bit can only handle doublewords per instruction.

craig588 posted:

I CRCed my console dumps and tested a few of them with MD5 after someone said CRC isn't valid anymore. If they passed CRCing they passed MD5 checks. I think if you're not worried about an actual adversary you can verify with pretty much anything.
CRC isn't valid as a cryptographically safe checksum (ie. it can't stand up to a dedicated attacker), but it still works to tell you if a random bit gets flipped on a disk.
If combined with integrity checking and optionally encryption (like GEOM/GELI in FreeBSD can do), it's perfectly reasonable to implement it - which is what the FFS/UFS creator is currently working on for FreeBSD.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Ice Lake laptop is available from Dell
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14727/dells-xps-13-2in1-7390-available-intels-10th-gen-core-cpus-inside

Why is 4gb of RAM even an option? :negative:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

canyoneer posted:

Why is 4gb of RAM even an option? :negative:

I'd ask why you can also buy a 1600x900 17" Precision 7740 workstation laptop from Dell, but the answer is inevitably "because it saves $34 and accounting said buy the cheapest option."

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

So they can hit that "prices starting at $999" marketing point.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

DrDork posted:

I'd ask why you can also buy a 1600x900 17" Precision 7740 workstation laptop from Dell, but the answer is inevitably "because it saves $34 and accounting said buy the cheapest option."

LPDDR4X at that speed is real expensive. The next model up is 400 bucks more with more memory being pretty much the only change in specs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'm sure it's a more expensive than the more pedestrian 2400Mhz RAM, but there's no way it's costing $100/GB, either. Offering a 4GB version instead of just bumping the base price by $50 or so might buy them some additional sales, but I wouldn't want to be using anything specced out like that.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

DrDork posted:

I'm sure it's a more expensive than the more pedestrian 2400Mhz RAM, but there's no way it's costing $100/GB, either. Offering a 4GB version instead of just bumping the base price by $50 or so might buy them some additional sales, but I wouldn't want to be using anything specced out like that.
Welcome to OEM laptop pricing. Lenovo was charging $300 to get a 250gb ssd last year when you could buy a better one for $50. For boring old RAM they often charge $150+ for an 8gb stick you could buy for $32 yourself.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Khorne posted:

Welcome to OEM laptop pricing. Lenovo was charging $300 to get a 250gb ssd last year when you could buy a better one for $50. For boring old RAM they often charge $150+ for an 8gb stick you could buy for $32 yourself.

Yup, they know how rear end it is to service those things as opposed to a desktop (if you can even crack it open), so they figure "oh we can charge you an arm and a leg for features that would be easy to upgrade normally".

Like my old Dell, from 2007 mind you, had a special adapter for the HDDs.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Yeah, quite familiar with OEM gently caress-you pricing--Dell was asking $580 to toss in a 1TB Intel 660p to a laptop we were speccing out last week, which I think runs for under $150 on Amazon these days.

Just saying that Dell offering a 4GB option instead of a minimum of 8GB is almost certainly not because it's just ~*~so expensive~*~ that they couldn't afford it, and a whole lot more so that they wanted the ability to stay "starting at $999" in ads without actually intending for anyone to buy the $999 model.

eames
May 9, 2009

heh, i was surprised when a recent BIOS update for my Asus Z370 board finally let me boot the RAM’s XMP profile.

This is what the voltages were set to with everything on auto:

Im temped to ask their support of they consider this safe but nothing good has ever come out of me contacting Asus support.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DrDork posted:

Yeah, quite familiar with OEM gently caress-you pricing--Dell was asking $580 to toss in a 1TB Intel 660p to a laptop we were speccing out last week, which I think runs for under $150 on Amazon these days.

Just saying that Dell offering a 4GB option instead of a minimum of 8GB is almost certainly not because it's just ~*~so expensive~*~ that they couldn't afford it, and a whole lot more so that they wanted the ability to stay "starting at $999" in ads without actually intending for anyone to buy the $999 model.

Yeah, same as how the "starting at $X" base models of some cars/trucks are so stripped and underfeatured that nobody actually wants or buys one.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

eames posted:

Im temped to ask their support of they consider this safe but nothing good has ever come out of me contacting Asus support.
Between 1.4V-1.5V is safe for RAM depending on manufacturer, heat situation, etc. z370 is desktop so you're well in the clear.

edit: vvv good to know. I wonder if that's why people have had trouble with the memory controller dying on those CPUs.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 9, 2019

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Khorne posted:

Between 1.4V-1.5V is safe for RAM depending on manufacturer, heat situation, etc. z370 is desktop so you're well in the clear.

The spec for VCCSA and VCCIO are usually less than 1v, Asus is running them both over 1.4. That being said, I had to run them at 1.3v on my 9900k to get 3200 MHz RAM stable in XMP.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

eames posted:

heh, i was surprised when a recent BIOS update for my Asus Z370 board finally let me boot the RAM’s XMP profile.

This is what the voltages were set to with everything on auto:

I’d try dropping your VCCIO and VCCSA voltages to 1.25V or lower, everything I’ve read says you can trash your IMC with voltages above 1.3 on those. My 3733 ram is stable with them around 1.17.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, same as how the "starting at $X" base models of some cars/trucks are so stripped and underfeatured that nobody actually wants or buys one.

except that I wouldn't even *mind* the 4 GB model, because on any other device, I'd just pop them out, throw them unceremoniously into the cardboard box labeled "RAM" that I keep in The IT Drawer That Never Gets Sorted, and then repopulate with memory that didn't cost me an arm and a loving leg!

But no, this poo poo's soldered, so it's "buy the 32 GB now or get hosed".

eames
May 9, 2009

B-Mac posted:

I’d try dropping your VCCIO and VCCSA voltages to 1.25V or lower, everything I’ve read says you can trash your IMC with voltages above 1.3 on those. My 3733 ram is stable with them around 1.17.

Yes, I’m aware of that. The RAM runs stable at 1.18/1.21V IO/SA when set manually but these are the voltages that Asus sets for people who just set and forget XMP and don’t take the time to double check. The 5 GHz profile also set 1.48V Vcore under load (not SVID but actual indicated Vcore).
Im curious if the Asus engineers know more than we do wrt safe voltages or if long term reliability is simply not something they take into account as long as it boots and it’s stable.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

CRC isn't valid as a cryptographically safe checksum (ie. it can't stand up to a dedicated attacker)

Also, md5 isn't cryptographically safe either and hasnt been for ages.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

feedmegin posted:

Also, md5 isn't cryptographically safe either and hasnt been for ages.

While true, it's also irrelevant for a home user.

But yes, enterprises should all be using SHA-256 or better at this point.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DrDork posted:

When I started this job a few years ago, the i7/8GB 15" laptop I received had a screen resolution of..... 1366x768. Like there are Windows dialogs that won't even fit on that.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

AlternateAccount posted:

When I started this job a few years ago, the i7/8GB 15" laptop I received had a screen resolution of..... 1366x768. Like there are Windows dialogs that won't even fit on that.

The standard laptop here had the same resolution until about a year ago. They were also in the range of i5 x200s with 4gb ram and mechanical HDDs and they expected people to use them.

Now we get quad core i7s with 8/16gb ram and surprise surprise we're now spending about 5 million a year less on buying everyone Surface Pros.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My father in law works for a giant defense contractor, and every few years buys a surplus 3 year old laptop from the company for $50 or something.

They were all ridiculously nice with huge, high resolution screens, absurdly high specs, and absolutely trashed batteries. Probably cost $2500 when new. Pretty good arrangement when the government is paying for them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

canyoneer posted:

My father in law works for a giant defense contractor, and every few years buys a surplus 3 year old laptop from the company for $50 or something.

They were all ridiculously nice with huge, high resolution screens, absurdly high specs, and absolutely trashed batteries. Probably cost $2500 when new. Pretty good arrangement when the government is paying for them.

New battery is like $150, cheap at 5x the price.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

The standard laptop here had the same resolution until about a year ago. They were also in the range of i5 x200s with 4gb ram and mechanical HDDs and they expected people to use them.

The government facility I worked at for years used much the same thing, but with the bonus of forced full-disk encryption, and hosted on what had to be an upstream trunk of ~10Mbps. Using them was utterly miserable, and I would regularly catch file transfers to the shared folders puttering away at <200KBps.

We also bought a few dozen "new" 19" 1600x900 monitors instead of 24" 1080p ones because the purchasing clerks still had the paperwork for the 19" ones from like 2000 or whatever, and figured it'd just be easier to re-submit that than actually do a new order with modern equipment. Those monitors cost over $200 each, because they're something of a specialty item now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DrDork posted:

The government facility I worked at for years used much the same thing, but with the bonus of forced full-disk encryption, and hosted on what had to be an upstream trunk of ~10Mbps. Using them was utterly miserable, and I would regularly catch file transfers to the shared folders puttering away at <200KBps.

It was great when whoever knew the password forgot the password and I had to call the helpdesk and read off like 30 characters of a reset code.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Just put together a system with a 9600k/ASUS Prime Z390-P motherboard. I put on XMP to get the RAM timings right and ensured it didn't mess with anything else. I'm using a Noctua NH-U14S cooler and all Noctua fans in my case (Fractal Meshify). Realtemp/HWInfo shows idle at around 33-34c. I guess this is a good temperature? One thing that is confusing me is that all of those programs show the CPU at 4.5/4.6ghz despite me turning off the ASUS "enhancement" stuff in the BIOS. I have Windows set to balanced power mode. Isn't it supposed to ramp down when not under load?

eames
May 9, 2009

Asus announced new X299 boards (yes, a 2 year old platform) with lots of LEDS, OLED screens marketed at gamers and I can't help but wonder who buys this stuff. Maybe Intel is planning reposition X299/Cascade X to better compete with Ryzen since the consumer platform seems stuck at 8 (soon 10?) cores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqPO3CE7C-0&t=3371s
https://www.computerbase.de/2019-08/asus-rampage-vi-extreme-gamescom-2019/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Asus might be the only company who still make motherboards which aren't garishly LED'ed, so there must be a lot of people who're buying the ones that could make a rainbow feel envious.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
When do you think Intel will announce their next desktop gen? I want to get a 9700k but am afraid a leak with the 10700k having 16 threads will appear as soon as I make my purchase.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Otakufag posted:

When do you think Intel will announce their next desktop gen? I want to get a 9700k but am afraid a leak with the 10700k having 16 threads will appear as soon as I make my purchase.

Your only real option is to bite the bullet and buy the 9700K so the rest of us can benefit, sorry!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

D. Ebdrup posted:

Asus might be the only company who still make motherboards which aren't garishly LED'ed, so there must be a lot of people who're buying the ones that could make a rainbow feel envious.

.....poo poo. I may have just had the decision for my next motherboard made for me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Otakufag posted:

Well there is an 8/16 right now from Intel, so its more about pricing. The best leak we've seen so far is that the Comet Lake S stuff isn't gonna happen until March 2020. It seems likely that there will be a 10 core i9 part at the top of the stack.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Cygni posted:

10 core i9 part at the top of the stack.

:swoon:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel also talked more about Foveros / Lakefield, its future CPU designed at the MacBook Air class of thin and lights and detachable 2 in 1s

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14773/hot-chips-31-live-blogs-intel-lakefield-and-foveros

4 Tremont Atom cores and 1 Sunny Cove core, plus graphics in the top 10mm die, and sound/USB/IO in the lower 22nm die. 4 or 8gb of LPDDR4X-4267 stacked on top. Power is two PMICs, one per die. Whole package is 12mm x 12mm, about the size of a dime. Pretty unreal.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/DrUnicornPhD/status/1164271954435694593?s=19

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cygni posted:

Whole package is 12mm x 12mm, about the size of a dime. Pretty unreal.

About the size of a Dime (whatever that is), or 12 mm x 12 mm

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

Intel also talked more about Foveros / Lakefield, its future CPU designed at the MacBook Air class of thin and lights and detachable 2 in 1s

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14773/hot-chips-31-live-blogs-intel-lakefield-and-foveros

4 Tremont Atom cores and 1 Sunny Cove core, plus graphics in the top 10mm die, and sound/USB/IO in the lower 22nm die. 4 or 8gb of LPDDR4X-4267 stacked on top. Power is two PMICs, one per die. Whole package is 12mm x 12mm, about the size of a dime. Pretty unreal.

I'm sure microsoft will be thrilled with redoing the thread scheduler again in windows for distinct cpu cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

notebookcheck (german) tested whiskey lake vs comet lake-u at fixed power limits. They observed a lower than usual undervolting margin (70mV), unsurprisingly there's not much left to squeeze out of 14nm.