Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I hope this isn't offtopic for this thread. I'm working on a videogame* that requires a lot of 3D models of military naval ship components -- things like deck guns, bridges, searchlights, the ship hulls themselves, torpedo launchers, etc. Basically everything from early WWI through end of the Cold War, ideally covering all the major factions. I'm gonna have to make the models myself, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a good supply of reference photos to work from. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can find photos like that? Haphazardly googling for things as I think of them isn't the greatest strategy, especially since there are probably things that I don't even know exist and thus won't know to search for them.

* Basically I'm trying to remake Warship Gunner 2, a build-your-own-battleship game for the Playstation 2.

I think google image search works pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This thread is a great resource. I am also trying to make a PC simulator of navy and submarine warships. Any and all pictures of the insides of SSBN submarines or zumwalts you guys have would really help as google image search seems to be lacking. Close ups appreciated! I am using farcry engine fwiw.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I made some reference art, do I get paid in exposure?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I hope this isn't offtopic for this thread. I'm working on a videogame* that requires a lot of 3D models of military naval ship components -- things like deck guns, bridges, searchlights, the ship hulls themselves, torpedo launchers, etc. Basically everything from early WWI through end of the Cold War, ideally covering all the major factions. I'm gonna have to make the models myself, but it'd be a lot easier if I had a good supply of reference photos to work from. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can find photos like that? Haphazardly googling for things as I think of them isn't the greatest strategy, especially since there are probably things that I don't even know exist and thus won't know to search for them.

* Basically I'm trying to remake Warship Gunner 2, a build-your-own-battleship game for the Playstation 2.

Naval Heritage and Historical Command has a huge library of photographs like this online. It's where I got most of the photos for my manuscript.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Honestly? Can probably rip off War Thunder assets and hope you don't get caught.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

mlmp08 posted:

Honestly? Can probably rip off War Thunder assets and hope you don't get caught.

Or just use them as your references and model them yourself. World of Warships would be worth looking at too if going that route.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'll be modeling things myself, it's just a lot easier to model them if I have an organized set of references to work from. Ideally I'd work from the source material instead of someone else's models, but second-hand work is definitely better than nothing. Thanks for the suggestion.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Naval Heritage and Historical Command has a huge library of photographs like this online. It's where I got most of the photos for my manuscript.

Sweet, thank you!

A few other sources I found or was directed to by others:

World's Fastest Battleship, a PDF about making the Iowa-class battleship, which has several very handy top-down and side-view layouts for various battleships. Super-easy to plonk into Blender and make a quick model from, this is basically the ideal source when I can find it. There's a few Wikipedia articles that have similar diagrams, but (like with this one) I pretty much have to know that the ship class exists before I can find diagrams.

...I guess what I should be doing is finding a listing of ships by era (like this Wikipedia list) and then using that to find ships to search for by name.

Navweaps.com is kind of disorganized but has a lot of information about naval weapons.

WW2DB has a ships section, again kind of disorganized but oh well.

Gettyimages has a section on the Imperial Japanese Navy, complete with some photos of Kantai Collection dolls, which you can buy for $500 (the photos, not the dolls)! :v:

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Unfortunately, I accidentally found a collection of scale folded paper models of WW2 ships a couple of weeks ago that I promised myself I wouldn't lost the link to, but I lost it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

There’s a pretty good YouTube and Instagram community of model builders, they post that kind of stuff all the time.

Would link you but I deleted my accounts.

Edit: this guy

https://youtu.be/kXiifCQ0ZtQ

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks y'all.

I found some decent reference photos of the Lexington (BB-4, early US battlecruiser). Here's quick models of the hull, 12"x35 caliber deck guns, and bridge.

I'm gonna have to make a lot of models like these, and I'm not gonna spam the thread with 'em, but I wanted to show that I'm making use of the help you're giving me. :)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Thanks y'all.

I found some decent reference photos of the Lexington (BB-4, early US battlecruiser). Here's quick models of the hull, 12"x35 caliber deck guns, and bridge.

I'm gonna have to make a lot of models like these, and I'm not gonna spam the thread with 'em, but I wanted to show that I'm making use of the help you're giving me. :)

Do you mean Iowa not Lexington?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Do you mean Iowa not Lexington?

This is the image I was using as a reference, with the caption included:

So if I have the wrong ship class, it's because the caption lied to me.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

This is the image I was using as a reference, with the caption included:

So if I have the wrong ship class, it's because the caption lied to me.

Yeah, that was CC-1 that got converted into CV-2 during construction. BB-4 was USS Iowa, a pre dreadnought battleship

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Flikken posted:

Yeah, that was CC-1 that got converted into CV-2 during construction. BB-4 was USS Iowa, a pre dreadnought battleship

...huh, how bizarre. You're right, thank you for the correction. Guess I'd better update my internal designations.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Dutch Navy online archives has some good photos and technical drawings iirc.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
It's been a while since we've had a good ol' classic CHOOM in this thread. I aim to fix that:

https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1158375186103750658
blyat!

edit: oh hang on there's another:
https://twitter.com/ConflictsW/status/1158419811883474946

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
:stare:

People are definitely dead in there.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

That's a uh, conventional depot right? :ohdear:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
Look at how far away some of these dang secondaries are :stare: [edit: from the main explosion]

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1158453646423728128

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 5, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

MRC48B posted:

That's a uh, conventional depot right? :ohdear:

Look in your heart, comrade.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Are you loving telling me nobody died from that?! :staredog:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:gonk:

What the hell were they storing there that they’re evacuating tens of thousands of people and using unmanned firefighting vehicles to fight the fire?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Its not blowing up comrade, thats just burnt concrete.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MrYenko posted:

:gonk:

What the hell were they storing there that they’re evacuating tens of thousands of people and using unmanned firefighting vehicles to fight the fire?

Krasnoyarsk *is* a large chemical production center.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

There's some sweet sweet c stuff there. Probably not any b that's survived that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Comrade do you taste metal?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah, its interesting how each city in Russia is specifically designed around specific products.

That Works posted:

Comrade do you taste metal?

Best not to ask questions, Vasiliy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A bear scratching his head while holding a stick of dynamite

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its interesting how each city in Russia is specifically designed around specific products.

Best not to ask questions, Vasiliy

The purpose-built cities are cool. Go check Norilsk on map. It’s a big city with all amenities, at some point you realize on the maps that there is no road leading out of there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

The purpose-built cities are cool. Go check Norilsk on map. It’s a big city with all amenities, at some point you realize on the maps that there is no road leading out of there.

I had a friend who grew up in Norilsk until they moved to Moscow at age 16. He said the pros were if you like hunting outdoors the nearby country side was really nice in the summer. I think everything else was a con.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

BUG JUG posted:

There's some sweet sweet c stuff there. Probably not any b that's survived that.

It's late and my brain can't parse what you mean by c and b here...?

Ed: wait nevermind just got it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Welcome to Libya.

https://twitter.com/gin_and_tacos/status/1158564919605944325

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Thread

https://twitter.com/wellerstein/status/1158736186174779393?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its good. I think my only issue is that there tends to be a focus on the nuclear weapons, but the Firebombing campaigns actually killed more people in Japan and Europe, even in single strikes.

Nuclear weapons are evil, to be sure, and should never be used again, but we tend to miss the forest for the trees. Just as many women and children were slaughtered by firebombings than the atomic weapons.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Vahakyla posted:

Why would there be no roads leading out of a mining center?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

🚂

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Why would there be no roads leading out of a mining center?

Because no human would drive out of there. It’s effectively an island in far siberia.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CommieGIR posted:

Its good. I think my only issue is that there tends to be a focus on the nuclear weapons, but the Firebombing campaigns actually killed more people in Japan and Europe, even in single strikes.

Nuclear weapons are evil, to be sure, and should never be used again, but we tend to miss the forest for the trees. Just as many women and children were slaughtered by firebombings than the atomic weapons.

It's a thread literally in dedication to the anniversary of the atomic bombing, that may be why it focuses on the atomic bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

It's a thread literally in dedication to the anniversary of the atomic bombing, that may be why it focuses on the atomic bomb.

Yeah, I completely glazed over that :doh: