Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I'm the "car collector alert."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Residency Evil posted:

yeah totally, car collectors are always drooling over 285,000 mile cars

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

glyph posted:

Wait, 135 or 128?

128, my bad.....Too many BMW numbers to remember lol

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
the 135i is rad tho go drive one of those

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol I was gonna say, 7k for a 135i is really cheap even if it's a little rusty, makes sense for a 128 though

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Who cares, that's a great buy!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

rscott posted:

lol I was gonna say, 7k for a 135i is really cheap even if it's a little rusty, makes sense for a 128 though

Yeah, and another thing was in the pics it looked like the car had leather but it turned out to be vinyl, I didn't even know BMW used vinyl on any of their cars and thought it was kind of cheesy. It was basically a base model 128 with a sunroof. From NY. With rust.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
That sounds like he parked it in the Hudson or something.

The leatherette BMW uses isn't bad, it was honestly pretty durable, and it's not that far off from the overprocessed leather in some cars. Not great, but it wasn't awful, at least in my experience.

Also, the price jack should allow you to deport him back to NY, in January. What a dick move.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

BraveUlysses posted:

Who cares, that's a great buy!

can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

snugglz posted:

can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic

it doesnt look trashed? it would be a lot of fun for 10k.

i still miss my z3mc

edit: i didnt realize that these are still going for like 15-18k for good condition ones

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 6, 2019

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I kind of like BMW’s leatherette :shrug:

It’s durable, zero maintenance, and cleans up exceptionally easily. Sure it’s not ultra supple leather, but it is a good material for an everyday car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Alarbus posted:

That sounds like he parked it in the Hudson or something.

The leatherette BMW uses isn't bad, it was honestly pretty durable, and it's not that far off from the overprocessed leather in some cars. Not great, but it wasn't awful, at least in my experience.

Also, the price jack should allow you to deport him back to NY, in January. What a dick move.

Well BMW must rustproof the poo poo out of the body or something because that was perfect, not a spot of rust anywhere on the body, but as soon as you look at the rotors and calipers it's pretty clear the car lived in the rust belt. Like in the cooling vents of the rotors I could pull off chunks with the edge of my little LED flashlight....The owner did not seem to think that was odd, but most people from up north think it's normal because it is up there. And when he told me about the oil pan I was like lol not gonna happen, he probably almost ran it out of oil for all i know.

And yes it was a dick move, especially since i told him that a NY car in Florida is worth a good bit less than a Florida car with no rust at all. Just like a Florida car up north is worth more, it's the opposite down here but he didn't seem to get it. His mentality was if carmax offered him this much, it's worth way more on the private market!

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Aug 6, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got the M3 on some canyon roads. It's actually super boring on the 30 loving mile per hour crawl up the canyon. I got super lucky and got about 3/4 of the way down uninterrupted, and just god drat. I couldn't push the limits in an even remotely legal fashion even if I wanted to. It's insanely fast and super confident through everything. I totally get the complaints about how insane you'd have to get to really push it on the street. I still absolutely loving love it though. I need to actually pull my S2000 out of the garage and get it up there too. I'm always hesitant with how unpredictable the weather is out here.

Parked next to this cool old thing while grabbing coffee before I went

One of the more scenic spots on my route

I shouldn't have stopped here as I'd just blasted past a sheriff. I wasn't flagrantly speeding or anything, but yeah. Still pretty.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Not sure how the oil pan would rust out when they are typically aluminum castings. Somethings fishy though and you should probably stay away.

Rusty rotors are normal for older brakes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Lightbulb Out posted:

Not sure how the oil pan would rust out when they are typically aluminum castings. Somethings fishy though and you should probably stay away.

Rusty rotors are normal for older brakes.

Not in Florida. AA is in the land of no rust, it'd be a damned shame to buy something from a plagued part of the country.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Bolts and rotors are frequently not galvanized whereas most of the subframe and body steel is, which is why it don’t rust. I would be pissed about the price increase but the rest of it sounds pretty standard. The calipers are almost certainly surface rust and the rotors need to be replaced, which isn’t very surprising for a car of that age regardless of location.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well BMW must rustproof the poo poo out of the body or something because that was perfect, not a spot of rust anywhere on the body, but as soon as you look at the rotors and calipers it's pretty clear the car lived in the rust belt. Like in the cooling vents of the rotors I could pull off chunks with the edge of my little LED flashlight....The owner did not seem to think that was odd, but most people from up north think it's normal because it is up there. And when he told me about the oil pan I was like lol not gonna happen, he probably almost ran it out of oil for all i know.

And yes it was a dick move, especially since i told him that a NY car in Florida is worth a good bit less than a Florida car with no rust at all. Just like a Florida car up north is worth more, it's the opposite down here but he didn't seem to get it. His mentality was if carmax offered him this much, it's worth way more on the private market!

An older BMW may not be the car for you. I don't say it because of the post I'm quoting, I'm just saying you might want to be prepared for what you're getting into if you haven't owned one before.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bolts and rotors are frequently not galvanized whereas most of the subframe and body steel is, which is why it don’t rust. I would be pissed about the price increase but the rest of it sounds pretty standard. The calipers are almost certainly surface rust and the rotors need to be replaced, which isn’t very surprising for a car of that age regardless of location.

I get that, but like I said down here I'm not used to seeing that, so it's going to turn me off when I do because 99% of the cars here have no rust whatsoever. None.

BlackMK4 posted:

An older BMW may not be the car for you. I don't say it because of the post I'm quoting, I'm just saying you might want to be prepared for what you're getting into if you haven't owned one before.

Six years old is older in BMW years? Lol if that's the case with BMW you're probably right then. Tbh I've just been looking for a car to drive until I get paid from my accident, and then I plan on getting a new GTI or Civic. Not really interested in getting a car that's going to need poo poo replaced right away. The Z4C was clearly not in that category, but the 128 could have been ok I think at the original price ($6900), I would have just had a shop replace the brakes, but after he raised the price to 8500 gently caress that. And the weird oil pan story made me a bit leery as well.

So anyway, yesterday I put a deposit down on another xB a few hours away, at a Mercedes dealership lol. At 40k miles it's not going to need anything but gas and I know what I'm getting.

Thanks guys for all the help when I was looking at these cars, it was a learning experience for sure.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I get that, but like I said down here I'm not used to seeing that, so it's going to turn me off when I do because 99% of the cars here have no rust whatsoever. None.

Six years old is older in BMW years? Lol if that's the case with BMW you're probably right then. Tbh I've just been looking for a car to drive until I get paid from my accident, and then I plan on getting a new GTI or Civic. Not really interested in getting a car that's going to need poo poo replaced right away. The Z4C was clearly not in that category, but the 128 could have been ok I think at the original price ($6900), I would have just had a shop replace the brakes, but after he raised the price to 8500 gently caress that. And the weird oil pan story made me a bit leery as well.

So anyway, yesterday I put a deposit down on another xB a few hours away, at a Mercedes dealership lol. At 40k miles it's not going to need anything but gas and I know what I'm getting.

Thanks guys for all the help when I was looking at these cars, it was a learning experience for sure.

well to be fair, 6 (model) years on original brake rotors is probably close to it's expected lifespan

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Cleaned up for sale.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Man I sure wish those kidneys were 800% larger

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

That's why she has to go, loving puny grills.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
There's a guy at work with a black, airbagged e38 and pretty it's low but not too stanced and absolutely incredible looking.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

There's a guy at work with a black, airbagged e38 and pretty it's low but not too stanced and absolutely incredible looking.

post a pic guy

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://instagram.com/brandonaford/

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Not crazy about the chrome wheels but otherwise nice

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

yeah not a fan of the wheels but oh mamma I have a soft spot for 38s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I rented a 230i this weekend and I have to say I found it extremely disappointing. The steering, while indeed tighter than your average Japanese car, is lifeless and provides little feedback. The brakes are bad – basically unsafe in how long they take to stop the car and with how much insistence you need to use your foot. This one came with a CVT and it's just awful, press the pedal and it takes a good moment to figure out what to do even in "Sport" mode. And then there's the fake poo poo, like the fake engine audio being pumped in via the stereo, and I think the e-brake isn't actually attached to anything either. Oh, and iDrive is still an infuriating mess. It looks good, and the interior is decent, but yeah.

I can't imagine why anyone would prefer this over an e92. I haven't tried the e8x but maybe that retains more of the BMW-ness? This thing is a gadget, and not a particularly good one. If someone is looking to buy a car-gadget at this price, the Tesla Model 3 is a better car in every conceivable way, aside from the lack of physical switchgear and the road noise. The Model 3 isn't ashamed of being a modern car where the 230i is basically doing BMW cosplay.

New cars suck

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I'm pretty sure there are no cvt equipped BMWs. That being said, someone probably adjusted the sport mode to be chassis only, or even turned that off. In the idrive, you can change what it impacts without the need for anything special to adjust it. That would leave the car feeling like an econobox the whole time.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Alarbus posted:

I'm pretty sure there are no cvt equipped BMWs. That being said, someone probably adjusted the sport mode to be chassis only, or even turned that off. In the idrive, you can change what it impacts without the need for anything special to adjust it. That would leave the car feeling like an econobox the whole time.

To wit:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy cow, apparently my car has different "Modes"?

I'd been driving in "Efficiency" mode like a absolute chump. I just tried out Sport driving/Sport steering and it feels like a completely different car

What's the point in having a reduced power mode and more importantly, making it the default?!

It's pretty amazing how dampened down a car can feel with a very slow throttle curve, conservative upshifts for MPGs, soft suspension settings, intrusive traction control, etc. On our X5M, until I put it in rear end in a top hat mode (///M!) it was pretty boring, but holding gears up to ~4500rpm and banging out shifts made for hilarious fun.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oh you're right, it isn't a CVT, I couldn't tell from how poo poo it is.

I drove it with all the sport settings cranked up minus dynamic traction control.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Surprised you had such a bad time with the transmission - the ZF8 is well regarded and I personally think it’s the best autobox I’ve ever driven.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Right, I'm saying there's a solid chance unless you specifically checked the idrive and verified everything, someone may have pared it back. The only reason I say this is my dad's 335xi gt has the auto, and it's fine, and changes noticeably in sport mode.

The normal brakes are underpowered, I agree, and very much so on the gt. Mine has the m sport brakes, and us driving the other's car is kind of hilarious.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I specifically checked the iDrive, yes.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Well that's just weird, then

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They just don't make em like they used to, IMHO

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

They just don't make em like they used to, IMHO
:hmmyes:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

A 230i is also a thrashy 4 cylinder now, which is always the wrong option

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

AT is always the wrong option son

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Busting into a thread about cool and exciting beemers to ask a dumb question about my 1 Series daily driver.

I'm coming to the end of my finance agreement on a 2013 116d (F20), I've had it for 4 years paying £230 a month and taken it from 25k to 99k miles. I love it and a tyre pressure sensor and headlight dip switch are the only issues we've had. It gets serviced regularly, it's ~80% motorway miles and I don't thrash it.

Basically, I don't know whether to buy the car outright for ~£4000 and run it into the ground or to get another 1 series on PCP, looking at probably a £500 deposit and £200 a month for the exact same car with 30k miles on a 4 year deal. I could stretch to a 2015 120d Sport with 20k on the clock for £250 a month.

Just to complicate things, I've interviewed for a job that would take my daily commute from 55 miles to about 12 miles.

Any thoughts on what the best move would be? It's a great car but I'm looking at the mileage and I'm not sure how I feel about keeping it, anyone had experience with high mileage F20s?