Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

I only have 2 reoccurring Army dreams.

One is I'm in charge of something and for some reason I have no pants on. Dick and balls just hanging in the wind. So I'm searching everywhere for my pants and there's some time hack I need to meet with what I'm working on but I need my God drat pants!

The other is that I smoke weed in a dream and worry about pissing hot and losing all my benefits. This one can be so real that for a few minutes I'll actually think I had smoked weed and kind of freak out about it.

Reality is I haven't smoked weed since well before I joined the Army and I never even remotely feel tempted to try it while in the Army.

Gonna light up as soon as I'm out though :350:

Man I have that dream all the time.

And wrt weed, it has changed so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i joined in 2009 and got out in 2014.

the ways people smoked weed changed drastically and blew my mind.

dabs are not bongs. my cousin let me hit his dab rig and i kept waiting for him to pull the bowl out so i could inhale the smoke, not knowing i was inhaling smoke the entire time.

if you've done dabs, you know how much of a problem this is.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i also have a dream of being told to inventory a connex by myself in the middle of a motor pool at speicher in july

Sure that's a dream and not a memory? Sounds like "being an E4"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bird food bathtub posted:

Sure that's a dream and not a memory? Sounds like "being an E4"

the e4 dreamlife is very boring

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I had one of those dreams where you have some control in it, and dreamt I had to go back in Basic.
I woke up when I got punched in my dream for laughing at Drill Sergeant, because I wouldn't listen and kept getting smart in my dream. It was awesome.

I also have one where I can't find my guys, and are in contact. I'm thankful for Prazosin to stop that poo poo.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

I'm thankful for Prazosin to stop that poo poo.

im thankful to not wake up in a pool of my own sweat from nightmares

prazosin works awesome for that

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im thankful to not wake up in a pool of my own sweat from nightmares

prazosin works awesome for that

I still have them. I still wake in cold sweats. I just don't remember anything beyond went to sleep->wake up. I can tell by my hands shaking, cold sweat, heart racing and whatnot, but I have not a glimpse as to what caused it. My wife let me know for the first time a few weeks ago that I woke her up in the midst of a nightmare that seemed pretty rough. She asked what it was about, I smiled, "Darling, I don't have a loving clue."

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

the sweat stopped, but yeah no clue what the dreams were and i wake up and shrug it off

100% recommend it to anyone else with the sleepy time ptsd fun

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I found it through GiP. Within 3 days of starting, I noticed a change.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
Those of you who were in or joined during the surge and are also now in...am i crazy to be missing it and is it one big dog and pony show even more now with the deployment changes? I have to imagine it would be for any garrison unit...luckily my career path took me in a more interesting direction while I was in but I just want to hear everyone say how much it blows to remind me to shut the gently caress up. I think its just been a long 6 years and its boring as gently caress out here at times. Nightmares are still there though, no medicine or therapy has knocked those bitches out for me, I figured its been long enough by now.

all apologies fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 7, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Shut the gently caress up and smoke a weed. If you want to remember what it's like John Oliver just did a piece about prison labor. Instead of reacting incredulously at the absurdity of prison labor think instead about how that's just a normal day for Joe. Then laugh at the absurdity and smoke a more weed

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It took me uh <checks calendar> 12 years for the PTSD-flavored nightmares to stop. Tried medications and therapy early on, didn't do anything. Now I just have dumb Army dreams like once every two weeks or so.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Stay out and keep your life your own.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Jesus these army dreams sound loving awful. At least I missed out on that mess.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have random dreams about deployment or patrols in a random non-Afghanistan place. I go through cycles where I’ll dream for a few weeks and then I won’t dream for several months.

These days though most of my “nightmares” are about something happening to Monty. I went through a phase of deployment night terrors but they were so consistent for so long that I got used to them and they don’t really bother me anymore. In fact, I would look forward to the dreams because it meant I could hang out with my friends that died.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

colachute posted:

I have random dreams about deployment or patrols in a random non-Afghanistan place. I go through cycles where I’ll dream for a few weeks and then I won’t dream for several months.

Yo this dream fuckin sucks. I hate this dream

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I've only ever had stuff like what you guys are describing while I was in. I had a goddamned full on panic attack because I thought I had missed a doctor's appointment because it was scheduled on a DONSA, when it was in fact scheduled for the next Monday. What kind of hosed up poo poo is it where an institution makes someone that afraid of missing a doctor's appointment, not because they need to see the doctor, but because of the punishment if they miss it?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can count on both hands the number of times I've ever remembered a dream in my life, so got that going for me. Whatever they are I just wake up freaked out or sometimes yelling a bit but no idea what the contents are.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

all apologies posted:

Nightmares are still there though, no medicine or therapy has knocked those bitches out for me, I figured its been long enough by now.

Have you got any treatment? I used to have horrific dreams. But I somehow got a shrink who explained that PTSD is like a pressure cooker. Your brain (is the pressure cooker) has to let that pressure out, and if you aren't letting it out the correct way, it's gonna bust out the seams as anxiety/nightmares/etc.

So I let that stuff out by writing a lot and talking with buddies at the local legion/VFW post.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It will never cease to amaze me how seemingly simple things become stupidly difficult and complicated in the Army.

I just want a bed to sleep in when I go out of town next week. Can't stay at a hotel, costs too much and the unit won't fund. Barracks option 1 won't work because the guy that runs it won't return my calls or emails. Barracks option 2 that I just found out about requires an absurd amount of bureaucratic nonsense and MAYBE I can get a room.

This is legit a loving idiotic problem to have.

And since I'm the only person effected by this nobody else cares that I currently have nowhere to live while I'm there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
can't you stay on-post at the post lodge place or do they not have those anymore

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mustang posted:

It will never cease to amaze me how seemingly simple things become stupidly difficult and complicated in the Army.

Things like not being a dumbass and getting out?

If you’re not out in the next, say, year, then I think you revoke your right to bitch because you obviously enjoy it enough to stay.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I would be out in a month but I got pulled up to the BDE staff and all they are concerned about is the work I can do for them, not helping me on my way out of the Army.

If I stuck with my original ETS date I would have received no ETS leave, worked until my last day in the Army, so I pushed it to the right during a lower optempo period so I can take ETS leave.

Vasudus posted:

can't you stay on-post at the post lodge place or do they not have those anymore

Those cost money. Money my BDE doesn't want to spend on me because of our NTC budget.

"Just stay in the barracks!"

Way harder to "just stay in the barracks" than to reasonably be expected.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

You know what’s better than staying in for some ETS leave benefit?

ETSing.

Stop putting your career in other people’s hands and get out if you hate it so much.

If YOU are going to put the army before YOU, then guess what the army is going to prioritize.

I guess my point is that at this point, your situation is your own fault.

colachute fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 9, 2019

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm not ETSing literally right into unemployment after spending the better part of 3 months in a poo poo hole away from home.

I have an approved ETS date, it's this winter rather then the end of summer because as much as I don't like being in the Army, coming back from out of town and finding myself immediately unemployed isn't very appealing to me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, I did it. Had the GI Bill paper work ready to go for a state college like the week after I got out though so I guess that maybe doesn't count as being unemployed? Either way, I got the gently caress out first day possible and had no job lined up.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I had no job when I got out.

I’d absolutely get out without one again.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just set up your shelter half on the parade field. Bing. Bop. Easy.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mustang posted:

I'm not ETSing literally right into unemployment after spending the better part of 3 months in a poo poo hole away from home.

I have an approved ETS date, it's this winter rather then the end of summer because as much as I don't like being in the Army, coming back from out of town and finding myself immediately unemployed isn't very appealing to me.

This sounds like the excuse train pulling out of the station.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Identify what part of the country you want to live in (statistically, it's either where you came from or your last duty location but fight the power if they're both poo poo)

Identify what general area of industry you want to work in

Identify what companies match the above

Apply for jobs

brains
May 12, 2004

if I had let the army choose for me, I would have been automatically extended overseas and redeployed with one week to clear, which was a terrible prospect to begin with but, in hindsight, would have completely hosed me over with the VA since I literally spent the entire last six months stateside going to medical appointments I had been denied due to location and/or scheduling for the last 10 years.

I showed up to my new command, sat down with the BC, explained my plan and got after it. he told me, “good luck with the medical stuff.” I also took 60 days of terminal leave which was the absolute loving best.

don’t let the army choose anything for you.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

If I had stayed at the BN level I would have been able to do a 3 month corporate internship with essentially a 100% job placement rate and I would still get 60 days of terminal leave afterward.

Then BDE pulled me up to BDE staff and took a giant steaming poo poo on that.

Somehow the MAJ I work for is still completely mystified why I refuse to work anything outside of 0900-1700.

He's conflict avoidant so he doesn't do anything about it though I can tell he's pissed I won't slave away for all hours of the day and night like the CPTs fighting for a command.

"The CPTs that worked for me on the division staff would bend over backward as soon I snapped my fingers!"

"Wow that sounds great sir! Well it's close business, see you tomorrow!"

It's hilarious when he asks me if I worked on something over the weekend. He keeps asking me that and the answer has never been anything other than "nope!".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You're getting a big NO checked under loyalty on your evaluation. :colbert:

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

You're getting a big NO checked under loyalty on your evaluation. :colbert:

gently caress... that’s a career killer. Can’t kill the career before I decide to stay in past my ETS window again.

gently caress HOW DID I END UP AT NTC AGAIN????? THIS IS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED!!!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

colachute posted:

gently caress... that’s a career killer. Can’t kill the career before I decide to stay in past my ETS window again.

gently caress HOW DID I END UP AT NTC AGAIN????? THIS IS TOTALLY UNEXPECTED!!!

Thing about officers is.....we have no ETS.

Unless you owe the army time because you took money for something, or a cool school, you can get out whenever the mood strikes you.

Now, you'll have to write a little letter requesting that, but we're all shitbags here that the military would be stupid to keep around? Right?!?!

*opens letter from the retention board* "poo poo!! HOW???!!?!"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Thing about officers is.....we have no ETS.

INDEF is an ETS.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Mustang’s stars constantly align in the shittiest way possible and he keeps going back for more and I said it a while ago that he’s just IDR on an alt account. I think someone made the comment in the IDR thread that he should have lied about having some lovely staff job because it would actually be believable.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Hey Mustang, when do you pin major?

Say hi to the general's daughter for me.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
So. A hypothetical army brigade is rotating somewhere soon-ish. The unit is so low on morale that majority of people in are refusing tier 8 re-enlistment bonuses. 42k for 6 years as e5 on a unit that pretty much guarantees e6 within 3 years as long as you have <5 DUIs during that time.

What to do to sweeten the deal? How to make people stay? The commanders and sergeants major do their best and come up with this newest offer: tier 8 bonus, PLUS one 3-day pass from brigade, PLUS one 4-day pass from battalion. And it gets better: first 22 ALSO get one (1) work week of late calls.

What and how much do you need to smoke to think this “offer” changes the minds of people giving up 40 thousand dollars just to be free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Let's see here:

42k over 6 years, subject to taxes since you're not in a Q-zone like the olden days. Breaks down to 7k/yr gross, likely ~5k/yr net. Even if you're entry level white collar with a lovely COLA increase you get like 2.5k-3k a year bump.

A 4 day pass and a 3 day pass, that you most assuredly cannot take together, that there is a high likelihood of command not honoring in the first place since gently caress you, you already signed the papers and they don't owe you poo poo. Oh and you had better take them like immediately because if anybody in the command team that would honor it rotates out you're hosed.

A week of late calls, that again command has no obligation to honor in the first place, that again you better take immediately due to rotation concerns.

Real fuckin' mystery.

edit: if you reenlistment bonus is reported AS a bonus it's taxed at 50% so it's actually 3.5k/yr