Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Shaggar posted:

i think radium was off by more than 1, right folks??!??

this was my first thought too but I managed to hold it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

if i ran into that trying to sabotage a former job site, i think i'd walk away feeling oddly satisfied

:same:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i once had to work with a repo that disallowed force pushing to all branches but let us delete branches we created so i just made an alias to delete the branch before pushing every time

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Plorkyeran posted:

i once had to work with a repo that disallowed force pushing to all branches but let us delete branches we created so i just made an alias to delete the branch before pushing every time

lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Soricidus posted:

sounds like something is interpreting it as utf-16 instead, op

i think the problem here is that our server builds are hosed up and have the classic "whatever the default of the guy that built or possibly even deployed the image was using at the time" which is pretty funny if I'm honest

like iirc for years you couldn't rely on server time zone or language between environments because there was no consistency in what had actually been set up even for servers allegedly built at the same time, idk if this has been fixed.

poo poo is hosed up

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Plorkyeran posted:

heck yea

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i think the problem here is that our server builds are hosed up and have the classic "whatever the default of the guy that built or possibly even deployed the image was using at the time" which is pretty funny if I'm honest

like iirc for years you couldn't rely on server time zone or language between environments because there was no consistency in what had actually been set up even for servers allegedly built at the same time, idk if this has been fixed.

poo poo is hosed up

just convert everything to internet time. the machines are already on the internet so it just makes sense.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Plorkyeran posted:

This is why most of the time I hate enforcing policy via git hooks or whatever. If you have to protect your entire repo like this, then it makes me think something is seriously wrong with your whole process, and 99% of the time your git restrictions get circumvented, anyway. Just fix your process!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
the purpose of things like preventing force-pushing to master should be just to catch accidental mistakes. by default git lets anyone with push access blow everything up with a minor typo, and eventually someone is going to make a bad typo.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
also to prevent software fuckups from those lovely gui tools for git that hide the work they're doing behind colorful buttons with incorrect terminology

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

source tree is the least bad way to use git

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
can’t remember git commands? here’s some check boxes labeled with the commands.

wait why are we building this software again

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

This is why most of the time I hate enforcing policy via git hooks or whatever. If you have to protect your entire repo like this, then it makes me think something is seriously wrong with your whole process, and 99% of the time your git restrictions get circumvented, anyway. Just fix your process!

It can work but you need everyone to be acting in good faith. Like the place I work at sends PRs back automatically if the build fails, but you can override that. Review is required, but you can override that. Pushing to master isn't allowed if staging is broken, but you can override that. It's very rare that anything gets overridden, though, because everyone understands that they're escape hatches for exceptional circumstances and following the guardrails will save everyone effort and pain in the long run.

But I dunno if force pushing master is forbidden. That's the kind of thing like, if you have to make a law against it you're already hosed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rm will refuse to remove the root directory unless you give it a very specific command line flag to tell it that it's okay. This is entirely to prevent accidents.

It's okay to have something similar to stop people from accidentally force pushing master. (Now, if you have people trying to deliberately force push master, that's a different story, and the right answer is to cut them off from the repository entirely and also stop giving them money)

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

(Now, if you have people trying to deliberately force push master, that's a different story, and the right answer is to cut them off from the repository entirely and also stop giving them money)

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Bloody posted:

source tree is the least bad way to use git

Personally, I think VS Code's git integration is almost perfect as a hybrid git tool. GUI for showing modified files, staging them for commit, a great diff tool+editor for merging, and a nice menu for a few other common operations. Then use the built in terminal for any complex git commands.

Most Git GUI tools seem to hit the problem that CRIP's talking about if they include any more advanced functionality.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://git-fork.com is p dece and only uses git terminology afaik

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Sublime Merge is pretty new and good. It's neither too complicated nor to detached from git's general API, IMO. you have to pay the $99 license fee for dark mode on OS X, but I expensed that to the company :p.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Jabor posted:

rm will refuse to remove the root directory unless you give it a very specific command line flag to tell it that it's okay. This is entirely to prevent accidents.

It's okay to have something similar to stop people from accidentally force pushing master. (Now, if you have people trying to deliberately force push master, that's a different story, and the right answer is to cut them off from the repository entirely and also stop giving them money)

I was about to agree with you but then I thought some more. You can block force pushing master but if you've still got a workflow that's "push stuff to master, but the right stuff, not the wrong stuff that we don't want in master" then you haven't fixed the problem, only the easiest symptom to treat. The problem being that your people are spending time on commit janitoring when you could be using a tool that would do it faster without loving it up. GitHub PRs, Phabricator, Gerrit, whatever. git push origin master isn't something that should be run directly except in unusual situations.

Ofc master will still be hosed from time to time but at least it will be a higher-level issue and not faulty commit janitoring.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mercurial handles these much better imo by hiding all the dodgy stuff behind extensions and through its public/private commits concepts. it also has a saner cli.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

idk mercurial seems kinda capricious

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

https://git-fork.com is p dece and only uses git terminology afaik

yeah this is real nice, I used it for a bit but then got told that "our standard is git extensions" which is OK i guess, but it's diff tool is rear end

idk why MS can't get their poo poo together with VS git integration.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
git sucks, but worse is better - as the 21st century has so conclusively proved

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
it's magit, op, the only way to fly

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

idk mercurial seems kinda capricious

the entire CI/CD pipelines of most businesses is kinda capricious anyway

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Phobeste posted:

it's magit, op, the only way to fly

ban this sick filth

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

the entire CI/CD pipelines of most businesses is kinda capricious anyway

if it’s only kinda you’re in good shape

if your previous lead dev rolled his own CI because he was angry at Jenkins then you’re in trouble

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

i've been using smartgit for years and generally like it. sublime looks like it might be worth a look

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
I finally love big brother; nothing but git command line for me.

if I have a really hard to look at diff or merge, I'll pop beyondcompare.
if I want to review larger swathes of history, I'll look at my forge if git log --oneline --graph --all doesn't cut it for me

i'm a very very aggressive user of
code:
git status
git diff
git add -p
git diff --cached
git commit specific_files
and I've got like 3 different aliases for flavors of git log --oneline (+ other options)

from my ~/.gitconfig:
code:
[alias]
	logshort = log --oneline -n
	logall = log --oneline --graph --all
	statusp = -c color.status=always -c pager.status status
	conflicts = diff --name-only --diff-filter=U
	untracked = ls-files --others
	modified = ls-files --modified
	l = logshort 5
oddly enough, tortoisesvn was part of me becoming This Way, in that I really did like its status window that I could just keep up and refresh to show me what was going on (modifieds, untrackeds, conflicteds, etc) but now I just run git status a berzillion times

The "git untracked" alias is kinda not good, it's kind of allowing me to route around the fact that I haven't added certain file types to my .gitignore in some repos. otoh, it does save some time when I do this:
code:
# check to see what new files I made
git untracked "*.cpp"
# yeah, let's add all those
git add $(git untracked "*.cpp")
also good imo:
code:
gvim $(git conflicts)

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 9, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i p much only use the git cli for git mv these days, its faster than doing it in Fork. everything else i just mash big buttons with my fisherprice mouse

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I use fossil for my stupid home projects and it's very needs suiting

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zlodo posted:

I use fossil for my stupid home projects and it's very needs suiting

For home projects what do you need to do other than "git commit am"?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

gonadic io posted:

For home projects what do you need to do other than "git commit am"?

well basically that, except that fossil doesn't sometimes poo poo itself for inscrutable reasons

also being able to easily browse the history in a browser to look at what your code was like before you broke everything is nice

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
forge built into VCS tool: not a bad idea

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i like git gui for reviewing what's changed and picking which bits to commit. plus it's written in tcl/tk and as an aging nerd who misses the 1990s i feel that kind of thing ought to be encouraged

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
git add -p is the only way i add changes now. works great!

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i prefer visual tools for dealing with changes - the vs merge conflict editor is hecka good, and i like the tortoisegit log viewer. git gui is nice for staging changes (especially for hunks, which i find useful because i often have a lot of bullshit uncommittable changes around to make dev easier). for loving around with branches and pulls and stuff, the command line is fine. hub sync is great even if you don't use github

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

*steve brulishly* hunks are great ahehhhsgh

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
intellij's built in git thing is really good actually, and so is the merge tool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

redleader posted:

i prefer visual tools for dealing with changes - the vs merge conflict editor is hecka good, and i like the tortoisegit log viewer. git gui is nice for staging changes (especially for hunks, which i find useful because i often have a lot of bullshit uncommittable changes around to make dev easier). for loving around with branches and pulls and stuff, the command line is fine. hub sync is great even if you don't use github

im also an idiot who continues to use vim. ive spent too much time getting all my terminal poo poo just how I like it to migrate to other options at this point.