Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

just went 7-0 with 16 land mono red, feat. multiple scorch spitters and I believe 0 rares. never let anyone stomp on your dreams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What event isn't the worst?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Omniscience Draft

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Singleton is good and fun magic and once Brawl is online i might never play ranked again... unless they have ranked Brawl!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

MikeCrotch posted:

Someone ulting Liliana when their opponent has Tamiyo out is the most soul crushing this can get I think

Oof that one would be painful

Just imagine the confused little highlight on Tamiyo followed by the shame concede

It’s wonderful :rms:

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Singleton is good and fun magic and once Brawl is online i might never play ranked again... unless they have ranked Brawl!

I've never played Brawl but those rules seem like they could be a lot of fun, and maybe a good way of attracting new players. In general I'm wary of diluting the queues even further, especially with historic coming, but i'm really looking forward to brawl.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Omniscience Draft

:same:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Norns posted:

What event isn't the worst?

singleton and the precon decks were both good. omni draft was fun once. i'd like to see more peasant and pauper events in the future, the recent sets have had some fairly high powered uncommons.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Pauper is a lot of fun.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Some Numbers posted:

Pauper is a lot of fun.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What's the best ramp gruul/ghalta deck currently? I'm enjoying T3 ghalta with marauding raptor + raptor hatchling but it's not reliable and the hatching is very bad without raptor.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

if i don't end up getting the wings for my cat, i am gonna be very angry on the internet

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cams posted:

if i don't end up getting the wings for my cat, i am gonna be very angry on the internet

It is my humble opinion that if you pay for the pass, the last day of the season should just give you level 100. Playing every single day gets you the stuff quicker, but you pay the price you get the poo poo. I would look a lot closer at spending on it if taking a big summer vacation with my children didn't make completing the path literally impossible.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Huxley posted:

It is my humble opinion that if you pay for the pass, the last day of the season should just give you level 100. Playing every single day gets you the stuff quicker, but you pay the price you get the poo poo. I would look a lot closer at spending on it if taking a big summer vacation with my children didn't make completing the path literally impossible.

Yeah, I agree, I think that would be a better idea. Gating the levels with XP seems silly when you already charge a premium for maxing them out and also for getting the better rewards. I'm sure they decided to put in systems that both encourage people to play every day (for good numbers on their retention metrics) and also a system to get money from players on a regular basis (mtga as a service) into one system which is kind of asinine when you make them depend on each other and one involves real money.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I really liked the precon event, I would like to see something like that with weirder decks. Gives you a chance to play archetypes that you normally wouldn't bother with.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dracula Factory posted:

I really liked the precon event, I would like to see something like that with weirder decks. Gives you a chance to play archetypes that you normally wouldn't bother with.

I think even a precon event with top tier standard decks (akin to those ptq championship decks of old) would be good since it gives players an idea of which decks gel with their playstyle without investing a bunch of wildcards to realize, wow, scapeshift is dull as hell to play.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
If I'm at level 47 now can I make it to 70 before the end of this stupid mastery thing?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

If I'm at level 47 now can I make it to 70 before the end of this stupid mastery thing?
Without much problem.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The terrible thing about this event and by extent Elemental decks right now is that there's so many priority triggers that my idiot opponents refuse to be aware of. It's like after the sixteenth time the game asks you to pass because you can trigger your artifact or place a land after playing an elemental and you take longer than 5 seconds to react your account should be deleted and someone should be sent over to your house to rough you up a bit

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Azuth0667 posted:

The mastery ends with the new set as far as I know so it seems like there's going to be plenty of time to finish it for frequent players.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Azuth0667 posted:

Napkin math there's 3 levels from events and 50~ from base XP left til the next mastery. And probably more from codes and other stuff.

So yes, very much so.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
There are 58 days until 10/4, so roughly 8 weeks. Each week now gives 7.25 levels, so you'll get 60 levels (although I may be making an off by 1 error). There are three more events, and I'll wager another code to get two levels before the season is up as a catch-up, so you'll probably have 65 levels all included.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I made a Tezzeret deck because I'm an idiot and whatever it's not like I care about most of the mythics in WAR/M20 anyway so might as well, then I played it during these past few days. It's a lost cause. It's not that it's bad (which it is, don't get me wrong, it would probably lose to a good draw from a precon). It's that not even this event can make it fun, because any enjoyment you get from watching the death ray animation drain life someone for 10 is canceled by people going to time every time they have priority with a treasure out.

I don't want to be harsh on people who are obviously new or just really slow at understanding the rules but the pass priority hell of this event certainly made me regret crafting that deck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I just doubled down in the misery and built esper and grixis with krasis.

Also esper had march of the multitudes. I never killed anyone with either deck, they just concede after the second X spell.

drainpipe posted:

There are 58 days until 10/4, so roughly 8 weeks. Each week now gives 7.25 levels, so you'll get 60 levels (although I may be making an off by 1 error). There are three more events, and I'll wager another code to get two levels before the season is up as a catch-up, so you'll probably have 65 levels all included.
Reason I said napkin math is we don't know the specific release date but it looks to be the 26th or 25th, so you're off by over a full week.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Spiderdrake posted:

Reason I said napkin math is we don't know the specific release date but it looks to be the 26th or 25th, so you're off by over a full week.

Ah poo poo. Forgot that Arena gets things earlier. Glad to figure this out now.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

GimmickMan posted:

I made a Tezzeret deck because I'm an idiot and whatever it's not like I care about most of the mythics in WAR/M20 anyway so might as well, then I played it during these past few days. It's a lost cause. It's not that it's bad (which it is, don't get me wrong, it would probably lose to a good draw from a precon). It's that not even this event can make it fun, because any enjoyment you get from watching the death ray animation drain life someone for 10 is canceled by people going to time every time they have priority with a treasure out.

I don't want to be harsh on people who are obviously new or just really slow at understanding the rules but the pass priority hell of this event certainly made me regret crafting that deck.

A+ Post/username combo plus what up fellow artifact idiot :(:respek::(

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Omniscience Draft

loving rules. Sure sometimes you get combo'd off t1-2, but when you do it it feels even better.

Singleton is fun so is pauper. Cascade was fun as well once Lavinia was banned. Standard Momir isnt super fun, but its a nice change of pace. The version with the WAR walkers was fun though. The treasure events have been the least fun for me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mwahahaha I built Simic Flash and got a turn two thought erasure->scoop my first game out.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
It's such a chore to play against counter spells again after being spoiled by the baby teferi meta. Simic flash, esper control(running counters), and mono blue are the least fun decks to play against. I've always hated playing against counter spells though, the only blue decks I've played that ran blue splashed it for card draw. Counterspells are just fundamentally unfun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

GimmickMan posted:

I don't think you need to worry about being too harsh on people. It's not like MTGA had a massive groundswell of new intake the moment this event started; anyone who's playing this event is overwhelmingly likely to have been playing for long enough that they should know better. (and to be fair, "long enough that they should know better" is "after the first time they noticed that treasures were making them rope".)

Some people are just lovely. At least this is only passive, negligent shittiness as opposed to active shittiness, like having a chud username or playing Simic Flash

th3t00t posted:

It's such a chore to play against counter spells again after being spoiled by the baby teferi meta. Simic flash, esper control(running counters), and mono blue are the least fun decks to play against. I've always hated playing against counter spells though, the only blue decks I've played that ran blue splashed it for card draw. Counterspells are just fundamentally unfun.

It's possible for a meta to have counterspells in it somewhere and yet not be toxic, or for countermagic to not be the toxic element in a meta (e.g., Modern right now with Hogaak). We're just in a place right now with Standard where the decks with counterspells in them have just enough bullshit that they feel super unfun to play against, at least for me.

One thing you can do in the meanwhile is play cards like Shifting Ceratops and Hydroid Krasis that countermagic strategies are weaker against and that are strong enough to play maindeck. That's what I'm trying to do right now and it works well enough; it's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 8, 2019

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I was playing Bant with little Tef, Shifting Ceratops, and Krasis specifically to gently caress Simic Flash. Then I started playing against too much Scapeshift.

Now I’m trying out Jeskai Hero and it’s decent against Flash. All your creatures are huge and you just drop threats over and over until they play all 12 of their counters. An early Hero let’s you accumulate tokens for blockers. You keep little Teferi but now you can Clarion to save the day.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Man, I can't fuckin buy a win with Cavalcade this week. Might have to switch to some other budget-y deck or just whatever I can make with the cards I have

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Scapeshift is just so good against everything in the Bo1 format, its made the Bo1 queue as boring as the Nexus of Fate queue

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Scapeshift is just so good against everything in the Bo1 format, its made the Bo1 queue as boring as the Nexus of Fate queue

bo1 was always boring & terrible :ssh:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
I want to add that I don't necessarily think countermagic is too strong in this meta, but I wish I could know ahead of time when a counterpsell deck is going to god draw so I could just scoop. When other types of decks god draw it's kinda fun to see them go off and I still get to play magic and sometimes my deck goes off a little stronger and edges out a close win. Against god draw counterspells I don't get to play magic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah simic and mono U both have the ability to just stick a threat on T1-2 and then counter your next 4-5 cards in a row with even a medium-strength draw. Sometimes a game is just unwinnable, and getting countered out of 3-4 plays in a row can feel unfair, even if it’s just RNG.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm gonna go Mono-B maindeck 4 fields of ruin and 4 cry of the carnarium

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

i like it cause this time i could actually afford to make the deck :twisted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I honestly have been thinking about playing more mono/dual color decks so I can use the Guaylands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm gonna go Mono-B maindeck 4 fields of ruin and 4 cry of the carnarium

And you'll still lose to a little teferi +1'd end of turn scapeshift. They'll almost always get fields of the dead in play faster than you'll get fields of ruin.

Recommend adding ashiok as well to really turn up the hate on degenerate scapeshift playing assholes like myself.