Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

wesleywillis posted:

Tell them to call a professional.

Ask them, "what do they plan to use to seal that annulus?" If they don't know the correct answer is to use some sort of bentonite sealing/grouting product then they aren't going to do a very good job of it.

Consequently, they won't seal the casing properly, the well will get contaminated after one or more of their dogs pisses and shits near the casing, and they get a good rain, which then allows (because of the lovely seal) dog piss and dog poo poo water in to their ground water which they rely on for drinking.
A chlorination or UV light or whatever for disinfection isn't good enough, because they could also be potentially contaminating neighbouring wells, which can lead to lawsuits and/or fines from the EPA.

I think it’s optimistic to think they’d get that far, my prediction is that they’d find an empty area that “seems clear”, get a couple of feet deep, then snarl up a bunch of buried utilities like someone getting a forkful of spaghetti

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I’ll seal ur annulus right quick

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/cmmapw/this_bathroom/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here but it isn't good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgMeyW4TEM

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

The Chairman posted:

I think it’s optimistic to think they’d get that far, my prediction is that they’d find an empty area that “seems clear”, get a couple of feet deep, then snarl up a bunch of buried utilities like someone getting a forkful of spaghetti

Sounds like they are in the middle of nowhere doing (most) everything themselves, so they probably know where the utilities are since they dug the trenches themselves.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

My homestead friends are tossing around the idea of renting well-drilling equipment and trying to DIY it, due to there literally not being a company that will drill a well in the area they live. How badly can this go?

I have no idea if this is poo poo you can rent, but they seem to think it is.

This is something that can contaminate the groundwater for a large area around them depending on what it looks like/how deep they are drilling. It's a public health issue and they should not be doing it.

Live somewhere with a high water table and need to drill some shallow irrigation wells? Fine. Drilling a proper potable water well? No, no, no, no, no.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Platystemon posted:

It must have been an artesian hell.

Nice.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

I thought the usual "homestead in the middle of nowhere" solution was to just get a couple of holding tanks and have your potable water trucked in?

Platystemon posted:

hell yeah

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

They need to find out what permits are required in their area but really they just need to offer more money to a well drilling company.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
As I understand it, there's exactly one well drilling operation in the area, and the guy is booked solid for at least a year out. As a result of having a functionally infinite supply of business, he just refuses to take any jobs under a certain dollar amount, which is iirc something like 4 grand more than their (relatively shallow) well should reasonably cost. The next nearest well company just cold refuses to drive to their zipcode, sight unseen. Tldr "Just pay someone to do it" isn't an option, they tried.

There's a bunch of properties off this same road in the same situation, so this isn't just one group of people being cheap, here.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Motronic posted:

This is something that can contaminate the groundwater for a large area around them depending on what it looks like/how deep they are drilling. It's a public health issue and they should not be doing it.

Live somewhere with a high water table and need to drill some shallow irrigation wells? Fine. Drilling a proper potable water well? No, no, no, no, no.

Yeah, imagine if the water table was like hundreds of feet deep...........

I'm in Ontario, and there is a loophole in the Ontario regulations that states a property owner can "construct" their own well.
I have a well technician's license, and have installed hundreds of test wells. None for drinking water though, and even I wouldn't bother trying to drill a well for myself and I could probably use my company's equipment for a weekend or two for the cost of fuel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The next nearest driller won’t do the job for two additional Gs?

Are they dealing with a cartel?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Javid posted:

As I understand it, there's exactly one well drilling operation in the area, and the guy is booked solid for at least a year out. As a result of having a functionally infinite supply of business, he just refuses to take any jobs under a certain dollar amount, which is iirc something like 4 grand more than their (relatively shallow) well should reasonably cost. The next nearest well company just cold refuses to drive to their zipcode, sight unseen. Tldr "Just pay someone to do it" isn't an option, they tried.

There's a bunch of properties off this same road in the same situation, so this isn't just one group of people being cheap, here.

Sounds like they can round everyone up and start calling companies around the state; if they have several people who all need wells, a company can come out and do the lot and make a load of cash on it. Unless there is some sort of restriction that prevents other companies boring this area or something.

I realize this is a pain in the rear end, but it's important to realize that a DIY doesn't save them money in this situation - they'll probably just waste time and money loving it up, possibly incur liability for their mistakes, and then still have to pay one of these professionals to handle it at the end of the day.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Just an rear end in a top hat with a monopoly.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My dad had trouble getting a well because the other side of the highway was sinkhole city

He had to keep expanding his search until someone was willing to actually look at a map and say yeah your side is in fact not sinkhole city

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes there's some regulatory capture at work as well. Like the area requires anyone doing drill work to have some special permits and license that's prohibitively expensive and is administered by the only drilling expert in the region, who just happens to be the dude with clear interests in maintaining his monopoly.

I heard poo poo like this about a company that built docks and drove piles for docks. It was in a region governed by a trust, and the trust had all sorts of special certifications and other red tape, generally in the name of the environment and safety, regarding any sort of pile driving. The costs and hoops you'd need to jump through took so much time and money, any competing companies were essentially locked out of the market. The owner of the only pile driving barge just happened to be on the board of trustees that created these regulations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sounds to me like an opportunity to start a well-drilling company and make a ton of money

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Leperflesh posted:

sounds to me like an opportunity to start a well-drilling company and make a ton of money

Please give me a million dollars ty

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Perhaps OP/s friends live in an area with known, crazy artesian conditions and thats why the one guy in the area is hesitant. Having potentially thousands of gallons of water flowing out of the ground at a high rate can make anyone hesitate to drill somewhere, whether you've got the equipment to handle it or not. Let alone some guys that are all "yo lets dig a well today"!

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/untamed-torrent-of-well-water-threatens-multi-million-dollar-vancouver-homes

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Sounds like a free water park to me.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

We just need to get a bunch of E/N and BFC goons and drop them in a hole on the property, they'll dig out a well in no time.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

womp womp

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

wesleywillis posted:

Perhaps OP/s friends live in an area with known, crazy artesian conditions and thats why the one guy in the area is hesitant. Having potentially thousands of gallons of water flowing out of the ground at a high rate can make anyone hesitate to drill somewhere, whether you've got the equipment to handle it or not. Let alone some guys that are all "yo lets dig a well today"!

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/untamed-torrent-of-well-water-threatens-multi-million-dollar-vancouver-homes

This has to be some sort of gold standard for contractors bailing on their idiot mistakes:

quote:

According to Johnston, the driller “freaked out,” packed up his equipment and not only abandoned the site but also fled the country. Attempts to reach the company, which advertises it now operates in Italy, were unsuccessful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wesleywillis posted:

The followup article is the City trying to collect $10M in mitigation costs

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Platystemon posted:

:hmmyes:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ashcans posted:

This has to be some sort of gold standard for contractors bailing on their idiot mistakes:

:lol: also :magical:

A while back, I read about a construction team whose boss explained they were working near a buried fiber optic line that connected Europe with Africa, and that damaging it would cause a zillion dollar per minute Big loving Deal. Sure enough, a guy in an excavator managed to sever the line. When he realized it, he got out of the cab, walked off the site, was never seen again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I can't tell how much of this house (built in 2007) was meant to look like this and how much is actuallly falling apart

this looks safe

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I love the windoors designed so you can step out and break your leg/neck/arm falling on to concrete.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/alejandroid/status/1159162678780338176?s=19

not sure if this really counts but

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

The way he phrased that means he's going to put 5 more machines in that bathroom.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Where does player 2 sit?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Facebook Aunt posted:

Where does player 2 sit?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
For twenty years that gif has wandered the bowels of the Internet, waiting for the question it was born to answer. This is a momentous day.

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011

High Lord Elbow posted:

For twenty years that gif has wandered the bowels of the Internet, waiting for the question it was born to answer. This is a momentous day.

you mean the bowls of the internet surely :V

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Beldantazar posted:

you mean the bowls of the internet surely :V

:haw: :golfclap:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just notching out my rafters so I have enough room to grind my sword for the Forged In Fire competition.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Joists :eng101:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Javid posted:

My homestead friends are tossing around the idea of renting well-drilling equipment and trying to DIY it, due to there literally not being a company that will drill a well in the area they live. How badly can this go?

I have no idea if this is poo poo you can rent, but they seem to think it is.

Bit late to this, but...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/city-of-vancouver-on-hook-for-10-million-cost-of-capping-massive-groundwater-leak-1.4997907

As long as your friends are prepared to skip the country when they cause the local government 10 million dollars worth of damage by accidentally tapping an artesian well, they should be fine.

Edit: gently caress, beaten, well sorta. I don't think that other article mentions the cleanup bill.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

FogHelmut posted:

Just notching out my rafters so I have enough room to grind my sword for the Forged In Fire competition.

Raised bathtub to attract the :females: