Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

onefish posted:

So there's some data-gathering going on on the game forums re: the Adventure Board, and it made me wonder why there isn't more of this happening for GoW -- like, why is there no list anywhere of possible rewards from the various gnomes, with estimated odds? Is there a list anywhere of exactly what the potential base delve rewards are, with odds per "chest level"? Will anyone end up compiling that Adventure Board data into something referenceable?

Is there anything about the game that makes it particularly difficult to get this info, or is it just a playerbase/numbers thing? If it's playerbase, I'm surprised the base can support something like gowdb.com, but doesn't support data gathering on the various random elements other than chests. Or is this sort of thing just no longer popular for online games?

They used to have chest odds at https://www.taransworld.com/ but I'm not seeing it now. Not sure why that would have gone away, but this is something that game developers should be forced to show in game. Internationally, legislation seems to be heading that way anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Bandire posted:

They used to have chest odds at https://www.taransworld.com/ but I'm not seeing it now. Not sure why that would have gone away, but this is something that game developers should be forced to show in game. Internationally, legislation seems to be heading that way anyway.

They do show it in game, it's the ? in the top left corner when you're at the page where you open chests. I'd imagine this is why it's not on taran's world.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

onefish posted:

Is there anything about the game that makes it particularly difficult to get this info, or is it just a playerbase/numbers thing? If it's playerbase, I'm surprised the base can support something like gowdb.com, but doesn't support data gathering on the various random elements other than chests. Or is this sort of thing just no longer popular for online games?

My best guess is that the game isn't hard enough to draw that kind of coordinated effort out. There's a lot of opportunity for analyzing troops and fine-tuning teams, but it's all squirreled away except for a delve thread or two. Also, the easiest way to gather data is via a mod, and I don't even know if those are supported.

e:

Bruceski posted:

I've lucked into a couple of ascension orbs. Is there an optimal use for them other than "legendary units you're actually using because a mythic does no good sitting there looking pretty"?

That's usually the best. The alternatives I know of are saving for Zuul'goth, boosting guild event godslayers / siegebreakers without paying the extra gems, or getting the 18th troop from a kingdom to level 20 for +1 to a stat.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 8, 2019

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've lucked into a couple of ascension orbs. Is there an optimal use for them other than "legendary units you're actually using because a mythic does no good sitting there looking pretty"?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Sorry for the double post. It seems that Gem Boiz has an open slot. Do we have any players hanging out in public guilds waiting for an opening?

PURPZ_MRSP please

Lycanos
Apr 22, 2019
Hey Boiz,

Go collect your seals. We have some members who have not opened the new mythic yet. If we get close I can pop a few orbs to push us over, though I already have the mythic.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Murgos posted:

PURPZ_MRSP please

Took me a while to find your invite code during the re-indexing, but I’ve sent an invite. Hang tight till Monday and watch the goodies start flowing in.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You can upgrade the guild guardian troops. Once they're all mythic they'll stop dropping from guild chests, giving you a better chance of getting something useful.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

onefish posted:

So there's some data-gathering going on on the game forums re: the Adventure Board, and it made me wonder why there isn't more of this happening for GoW -- like, why is there no list anywhere of possible rewards from the various gnomes, with estimated odds? Is there a list anywhere of exactly what the potential base delve rewards are, with odds per "chest level"? Will anyone end up compiling that Adventure Board data into something referenceable?

For this game almost all activities are either rewarding but limited (like event attempts, delves, guild weekly rewards), or not very rewarding but infinite (explores, PvP, treasure maps).

For the infinite options people will do the most efficient thing mostly, which is why no one does maps.

Adventure board is ignored because it has almost negligible rewards compared with your checkin rewards and guild weekly stuff. It’s a daily quest new player retention feature that has been analyzed to hell in other freemium games

Lycanos
Apr 22, 2019
I do all my adventure board almost every day. They are super easy fights that are more rewarding than explores. And sometimes you get amazing rewards, I got mythic keys once, two VIP keys in that.

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe
I like the dailys. They're super fast and gives 2 points of class xp. Perfect for getting some easy seals while listening to an audiobook before lights out.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Took me a while to find your invite code during the re-indexing, but I’ve sent an invite. Hang tight till Monday and watch the goodies start flowing in.

Thanks! Looking forward to it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I check the dailies for good ones, sometimes do the rest depending on mood. Always check though.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SpacePope posted:

You can upgrade the guild guardian troops. Once they're all mythic they'll stop dropping from guild chests, giving you a better chance of getting something useful.

Hmm, good to know but not something I think I'd prioritize over actual units.

Do all cards stop dropping when mythic? There's some folks you want multiples of.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Bruceski posted:

Do all cards stop dropping when mythic? There's some folks you want multiples of.

You need to have 4 copies of all guardians in addition to them all being mythic to get them to stop dropping. Guardians are the only cards that ever stop dropping based on your collection.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Guild Guardians are probably the best use of Orbs of Ascension in early/mid-game, once you have six orbs. I couldn't find a full explanation, but see the first comment on this reddit post. The point is that having any guardians non-mythic halves the effectiveness of your guild seal chests, so ascending them all to mythic doubles your chances of legendaries, mythics, etc from guild seals.

I used my very first orb to ascend Sunbird from Legendary to Mythic for a fast explore team and don't actually regret it, but I'd likely have regretted ascending any legendary to mythic *unless* it was one I used in a key pvp or explore team.

edit: also, thanks all for the thoughts on GoW and data-collection -- they make sense.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
That Reddit post is full of worthwhile advice (edit: hey, it’s by Slypenslyde. He tends toward hyperbole, but he for sure knows the game mechanics). There are basically only two troops I think it’s worth spending Orbs of Ascension on: Guild Guardians and Zuul’Goth.

As has already been mentioned, having your guardians at Mythic x4 doubles the effectiveness of every guild seal you earn. If your guild hits 40k seals in a week, those guild keys are better than gem keys for finding mythic troops—but only if you no longer get guardians 50% of the time.

If you ever want Zuul’Goth, you will have to save up Orbs of Ascension for a long, long, long time. I don’t know that I have spent a single blue orb. Ever. Since they were first released. I just recently passed 75% of the total number of Orbs of Ascension I need to craft Zuul. He’s a vanity prize, sure, but if you think you might ever want him you had best think long and hard before using your blue orbs.

If you for sure don’t care about Zuul’Goth, then there are a few more troops you might consider dropping minor Orbs of Ascension on.
  • Reward troops from Guild Wars are doled out at a rate of 10-16 every six months for guilds near (but not at) the top of the bracket list. They still count for kingdom advancement, though, so you might bump them from legendary to mythic to save yourself 7-10 semi-annual cycles of accruing.
  • Invasion or Raid troops, and again only to go from legendary to mythic. The damage boost from x4 to x5 is significant, especially in Invasion where it’s easy to take advantage of the bonus skull damage. Those last couple of tiers are several hundred gems each, though. If you can save close to a thousand gems there, that’s currency you can spend elsewhere...
  • ...Such as Bounty Captains. Thanks to Excavator, Corpse Mare, and Tigraki Warrior, you can now easily and safely hit a x30 multiplier in that event, which means you don’t even need the sigils from Tier VI to earn the final reward. So you can spend to Tier V and use a minor Orb of Ascension for the final rarity rank.
  • Dooms are the last thing I would spend a minor Orb of Ascension on. As with Guild Wars reward troops, these are handed out in drips and drabs. So you can save yourself a lot of waiting by using a minor Orb to go from legendary to mythic.

If you are lucky enough to find a major Orb of Ascension, think long and hard before using it. Those are so rare that I would hold onto them even if I didn’t want to craft Zuul’Goth, just in case a new class of common troops is released who benefit you by becoming mythic. If I ever start swimming in the drat things (like, I have five or six left over after my intended use), I may use my major Orbs to upgrade gnomes and Valraven. Just because I am sure as Hell never going to naturally acquire 191 of them off of Vault Keys.

———————————

Edit: Bandire, troop-specific chest odds used to be displayed in one or two places in the game’s code. TaransWorld would scrape these numbers and display them to calculate drop rates and probabilities. There was at least one occasion where a troop was not appearing in chests when it was supposed to, and players pointed out that the drop rate on TaransWorld was set to 0 (when the problem was fixed, TaransWorld magically started reporting the correct drop rate).

The devs removed at least one set of these numbers when they started posting their own version of these drop rates (click the “?” button when you’re at the cheT-opening screen). The stated reason was that players would use troop-specific numbers and complain when they felt screwed by the RNG; so eliminating our access to those numbers meant less work for Support. Of course, we now have no way to confirm a troop is actually showing up at the rate it is supposed to. So we are being instructed to assume competence from the devs, and that any time we spend a lot of resources and don’t see a troop, it’s RNG and not a mistake in their server-side tables. This reduced transparency does not fill me with confidence.

———————————

About Delve drops (onefish).

Each chest level is a single pull from the loot table given in this GoW forums post. This is multiplied by your multiplier for that run, rounded, then by your Hoard multiplier, and then rounded again (tbh I forget which gets multiplied first, but they both get rounded afterward). The odds within that loot table do not change based on chest level. You just get more drops.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 8, 2019

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I only ever hit the ? button on accident and get thoroughly annoyed every time when it lags the game to death while whatever random help screen loads. I had no idea they added chest odds on that specific page. Thanks guys.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I've been wrestling with a bunch of Vash'Dagon teams for PvP and the results aren't great. Getting enough single curses to make a difference requires a fair bit of brown, and doesn't synergize well with most debuff sources. Damage from the spell cast builds slowly and while having an impervious troop with 25% spell reduction, 100+ attack, and 400 combined life/armor is nice, if you start losing support troops its mana cost becomes inconvenient and the match turns into hunting for skulls while you are whittled down. Bleh. Here are two more interesting options:

Mountain Crusher / Dervish (or Titan), Vash'Dagon, Arachnaean Weaver, Leprechaun (Amanithrax)
Vash'Dagon, Harpy Mage, Writhing Staff / Archer, Leprechaun (Stonesong Eyrie)

First team has a bunch of nice individual synergies: Leprechaun + dust storm, Dervish buffs Arachnaean Weaver, two true damage spells, curse+web, curse+hunter's mark. It's a bit vulnerable to the hero dying to an unlucky board-clearing explosion and getting mana starved though. Second one gets a little buffed skull damage etc with some entangles to help keep Vash from getting chunked.

The good news though is that it can pair with High King Irongut in 10/12 delve factions plus the upcoming one with a standard: Mountain Crusher / Titan, gem converter or rock troll, Irongut, Vash'Dagon setup to get through the devour-immune troops smoothly. Might be better than other options like Ysabelle, Dragon's Eye, The Possessed King.

Also, if Vash devours a swole Irongut you get a bunch of sweet true damage, but it does -not- count as a deathless run.

Enkor fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 8, 2019

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Any slots open? I just grabbed this a week ago, only level 35. Diapermeat_wfkc is my invite code

Thanks!

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

diapermeat posted:

Any slots open? I just grabbed this a week ago, only level 35. Diapermeat_wfkc is my invite code

Thanks!

Gem Blossums is full, and last I heard Gem Bois also just filled in their last slot recently. I recommend joining a pubby guild and bug the thread every week or so to check for inactives.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Almost at 4000 diamonds and I have no mythics yet i presume pharos ra is a good craft?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

hanyolo posted:

Almost at 4000 diamonds and I have no mythics yet i presume pharos ra is a good craft?

It's an investment into soul income. A pretty good early choice, though if you're looking for a fun/strong mythic to start with, Pharos-Ra might be disappointing.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So just to make sure I understand seals and guild chests correctly -- each week we accumulate seals for the guild by performing certain actions. As the total number of seals acquired goes up, the likelihood of getting good cards from guild chests increases. If I spend my seals does that decrease the guild's seal number count for the week? Should I wait until the end of the week to redeem my seals so that we accumulate the largest number possible and therefore improve our odds before opening any guild chests?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Montalvo posted:

If I spend my seals does that decrease the guild's seal number count for the week? Should I wait until the end of the week to redeem my seals so that we accumulate the largest number possible and therefore improve our odds before opening any guild chests?

No to the first question, yes to the second. Though your personal seals don't expire so you may prefer to hoard until the guild decides to push for 40,000 seals for maximum chests. Gem Blossums seems to hit 20K pretty easily, but 40k for the release of the new mythic involved people cashing in their guild orbs (which, if you use them, should be used after your 1.5k weekly seals. If used before hitting the cap they count towards that cap but if used afterwards you get extra.)

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Montalvo posted:

So just to make sure I understand seals and guild chests correctly -- each week we accumulate seals for the guild by performing certain actions. As the total number of seals acquired goes up, the likelihood of getting good cards from guild chests increases. If I spend my seals does that decrease the guild's seal number count for the week? Should I wait until the end of the week to redeem my seals so that we accumulate the largest number possible and therefore improve our odds before opening any guild chests?

Seal count for the guild only ever goes up until the end of week reset Sunday night, feel free to spend them. That said, if you think your guild can hit a higher tier another week, the seals transfer week-to-week too.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks!

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

cosmin posted:

Noob question: my soulforge is lvl 4 and i should be able to craft some weapons already but when I click on the weapons tab it tells me i should upgrade my soulforge?

Also, i dislike this part of the game (lvl 55) when I should be investing in troops and upgrades but I don’t want to because I think all my troops are crap and I cannot find a team that works and I know there are better cards out there I should spend my souls on and I’m getting my rear end kicked in all games modes :(

I found that joining a guild made the biggest difference. If you're not in one, just get into a guild with low requirements. It's night and day after getting into a guild. My first guild was not that active, but enough so I would get a couple hundred keys, which allowed me to build up an initial team. Other thing is switch into a good class ASAP, the Warlord class is trash. Titan is pretty strong initial class and can be used for almost every event.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Enkor posted:

It's an investment into soul income. A pretty good early choice, though if you're looking for a fun/strong mythic to start with, Pharos-Ra might be disappointing.

Cheers, just my luck I managed to get my first mythic off a gem chest today which is the new Vash Dagon one so I've got him to play around with now as well!

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
:smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
You’re going to immediately reinvest those gems for the good of Gem Boiz in the form of the next Invasion/Tower of Doom tier, right? Right? :cop:

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Hrmph! Or everyone could use their free sigils and nobody would need to spend extra gems, and we wouldn't fall down the guild war brackets head first!

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Just got an orb of ascension from the vault. How/When do I use this thing?

I don’t see an option to ascend in the troops menu

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Pick the to you want to ascend, click on upgrade.

There's then a tab at the top marked orbs that allows you to use any you can to upgrade that troop.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Tsietisin posted:

Pick the to you want to ascend, click on upgrade.

There's then a tab at the top marked orbs that allows you to use any you can to upgrade that troop.

Awesome. Thanks.

Is it worth pushing my LEGO queen Titania to mythic?

I’ll re read the OP when I get home. Just on the road. Thanks!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Grundulum posted:

That Reddit post is full of worthwhile advice (edit: hey, it’s by Slypenslyde. He tends toward hyperbole, but he for sure knows the game mechanics). There are basically only two troops I think it’s worth spending Orbs of Ascension on: Guild Guardians and Zuul’Goth.

As has already been mentioned, having your guardians at Mythic x4 doubles the effectiveness of every guild seal you earn. If your guild hits 40k seals in a week, those guild keys are better than gem keys for finding mythic troops—but only if you no longer get guardians 50% of the time.

If you ever want Zuul’Goth, you will have to save up Orbs of Ascension for a long, long, long time. I don’t know that I have spent a single blue orb. Ever. Since they were first released. I just recently passed 75% of the total number of Orbs of Ascension I need to craft Zuul. He’s a vanity prize, sure, but if you think you might ever want him you had best think long and hard before using your blue orbs.

If you for sure don’t care about Zuul’Goth, then there are a few more troops you might consider dropping minor Orbs of Ascension on.
  • Reward troops from Guild Wars are doled out at a rate of 10-16 every six months for guilds near (but not at) the top of the bracket list. They still count for kingdom advancement, though, so you might bump them from legendary to mythic to save yourself 7-10 semi-annual cycles of accruing.
  • Invasion or Raid troops, and again only to go from legendary to mythic. The damage boost from x4 to x5 is significant, especially in Invasion where it’s easy to take advantage of the bonus skull damage. Those last couple of tiers are several hundred gems each, though. If you can save close to a thousand gems there, that’s currency you can spend elsewhere...
  • ...Such as Bounty Captains. Thanks to Excavator, Corpse Mare, and Tigraki Warrior, you can now easily and safely hit a x30 multiplier in that event, which means you don’t even need the sigils from Tier VI to earn the final reward. So you can spend to Tier V and use a minor Orb of Ascension for the final rarity rank.
  • Dooms are the last thing I would spend a minor Orb of Ascension on. As with Guild Wars reward troops, these are handed out in drips and drabs. So you can save yourself a lot of waiting by using a minor Orb to go from legendary to mythic.

If you are lucky enough to find a major Orb of Ascension, think long and hard before using it. Those are so rare that I would hold onto them even if I didn’t want to craft Zuul’Goth, just in case a new class of common troops is released who benefit you by becoming mythic. If I ever start swimming in the drat things (like, I have five or six left over after my intended use), I may use my major Orbs to upgrade gnomes and Valraven. Just because I am sure as Hell never going to naturally acquire 191 of them off of Vault Keys.

Quoting this post on orbs of ascension. Tldr they are super rare so be careful about what you use them on.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Gem Blossums tower floors

Only had time to do a few floors this morning. Will do several more later on.

Floor 1
R: Haste
U: Unlock
E: Magic
L: Attack

Floor 2
R: Armor
E: Haste
L: Attack

Floor 3
R: Armor
E: Armor
L: Armor

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What teams are y'all using?

I'm thinking Gorg/Valk/Ish/Rope Dart; but it seems a little slow. I wouldn't mind getting the harpy mage involved somehow, but feel like it needs a natural mythic to take advantage of the exploding skill.

Wilmott Snipes
May 29, 2002

It's daddy shithead, where's the bourbon?
Blossums

Floor 4

R: Power

E: Attack

L: Armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

porktree posted:

What teams are y'all using?

I'm thinking Gorg/Valk/Ish/Rope Dart; but it seems a little slow. I wouldn't mind getting the harpy mage involved somehow, but feel like it needs a natural mythic to take advantage of the exploding skill.

One note on Harpy Mage, and similar abilities. They randomly choose one of the colors of their target, they do not apply to all of them. Targeting a mythic just means it chooses one of the three colors to explode. I prefer to target a dual color troop over a three color troop, since it is more likely that both of a dual color troop's color will produce a board clearing explosion. And of course, targeting a mono color troop (like a hero weapon) is completely predictable.

Terrible tower of doom team:

Mountain Crusher (Titan or Sentinel)
High King Irongut
Ethereal Sentry
Divine Ishbaala
Hall of Guardians Banner

Mostly because I like the Ethereal Sentry - High King Irongut synergy.