Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
New company has test coverage under 50% lol fml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, random cold-calling recruiter from a placement agency, I will not tell you my expected salary before you even start showing my resume to your clients

Lol at the very idea of recruitment agencies in tyool 2019

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there are lots of jobs out there that only hire through recruiter agencies, which are all lovely employers

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

elite_garbage_man posted:

Must be nice. My new company had under that.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"I don't see java on your resume"

It's the fifth word, after my name and prospective title, you loving bonehead

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The Clowner posted:

No, random cold-calling recruiter from a placement agency, I will not tell you my expected salary before you even start showing my resume to your clients

Lol at the very idea of recruitment agencies in tyool 2019

I love telling these guys what my expected total comp is. oh, you want that in an hourly figure? no problem. somehow I never hear back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

PokeJoe posted:

there are lots of jobs out there that only hire through recruiter agencies, which are all lovely employers

is there some other kind of employer

Ferr
Sep 27, 2002

Serious Business Orc
College Slice
just finished up this process:

-recruiter phone screen
-engineer phone screen
-in-person coding exercise
-take-home coding exercise
-video chat review of take-home coding exercise
-in-person whiteboard exercise
-interviews with 4 team members

"pass, but we think you'd be a fit for another position"

so at this point I'm thinking "oh they already know everything that could possibly matter about me, no way they'd waste both of our time bringing me in for another position unless it was a sure thing"

-interview with a manager
-interviews with 4 different team members

"that's another pass, sorry we hope you learned something and don't consider this process a waste of your time"

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ferr posted:

-recruiter phone screen
-engineer phone screen

"pass, but we think you'd be a fit for another position"

so at this point I'm thinking "oh they already know everything that could possibly matter about me, no way they'd waste both of our time bringing me in for another position unless it was a sure thing"

-interview with a manager
-interviews with 4 different team members

"that's another pass, sorry we hope you learned something and don't consider this process a waste of your time"

This is why I tell people not to take time off for interviews

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ferr posted:

-recruiter phone screen
-engineer phone screen

ugh. these assholes think way too much of themselves. this is way too many steps and the proper response to this kind of nonsense is to tell them to get hosed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

do you typically get told how many stages there are up front or is it usually drip-fed such that you only know about the next stage?

ive never been through more than 2 stages of interview + an online test so this is kinda foreign to me

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if you ask, and they don't want to tell you, then assume the answer is "way too loving long"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah i always ask what the next step is when i interview but maybe i should start being more specific and ask what’s the path to getting a job offer, or whatever

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

the best places will tell you up front when you're first talking to the recruiter. "Phone interview w/ the director and then about 2 hours in person with the team" was what I went through in this last cycle.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

jesus WEP posted:

do you typically get told how many stages there are up front or is it usually drip-fed such that you only know about the next stage?

ive never been through more than 2 stages of interview + an online test so this is kinda foreign to me

I once flew across the country for a whiteboarding session, they loved it, and as they drove me to the airport, they let me know that they will be in touch for the 'next steps'.

I'm thinking okay next step is let's talk hiring. Next step was a takehome test lololol.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Not a Children posted:

This is why I tell people not to take time off for interviews
how else can you do one? On site mean

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 8, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

you will feel that it’s the end of the road before you hang up the phone.

But I always feel this way, even when I'm not on the phone?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

interviewing sucks, it feels super random, half the people on both sides don't give a gently caress and have messed up incentives, and there's a difficult balance to strike between effort per application and number of applications.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

jesus WEP posted:

“can you tell me what your interview process is like?”

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

Our main product has (according to SonarQube):
- 611,000 LOC
- 36,000 Warnings
- 11,000 duplicated LOC
- 15 Unit tests
- 0.0% test coverage

My teams products has:
- 21,000 LOC
- 0 Warnings
- 18 duplicated LOC
- 170 Unit tests
- 82% unit test coverage
- 2 integration harnesses
- Another 50 tests with the integration tests.

The main product netted us a $300,000,000 buyout.
Remember kids: Good quality code doesn't sell!
:smith:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

“can you tell me what your interview process is like?”

I tried this once but the reviewer just looked at me like the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I tried this once but the reviewer just looked at me like the Nazis at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark?

Oh good, you dodged a bullet.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gazpacho posted:

how else can you do one? On site mean

Come in, say you need to take a call, then leave

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I've done that before with things other than interviews, the boss noticed

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

Our main product has (according to SonarQube):
- 611,000 LOC
- 36,000 Warnings
- 11,000 duplicated LOC
- 15 Unit tests
- 0.0% test coverage
dont trigger me

this is the sort of thing i felt obligated to send an explanatory e-mail about yesterday, after a coding screen with a company large enough to pretend that such stupidity doesn't exist (and if it does, it must be the candidate's fault)

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 8, 2019

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
code coverage is a meaningless measurement like klocs

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
chode coverage

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

The Management posted:

code coverage is a meaningless measurement like klocs

0% probably just means no tests whatsoever though which maybe is bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

No Mods No Masters posted:

Come in, say you need to take a call, then leave

doctors appt

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bingo!

The good news is since it's not a big ol' company, they're approachable, and I have scheduled a call to explain to them how reality works. They are just falling apart right now without a react developer to fix their last bad hire and they want to demo a new product by mid-September. I should tell them, hey, you can put me on the payroll now and I'll clone your repos remotely and look at them disapprovingly if you want.

doing it remote for a few weeks until the move is finished could work. it sounds like you'd be a one person team for the react stuff anyway.

however if it's a small company I would be very surprised if their payroll were competent enough to correctly handle whatever taxes etc are applicable to your current area

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

and for your actual doctor's appt if you're going back into the office be sure to dress up. suit & tie

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

bitchtard posted:

“Friday isn’t soon enough, they want to interview you sooner!!”

this is ringing alarm bells. why are they so horny to shave off a few days? I’m a junior level developer it’s not like I’m going to walk in the first day and change their lives. is this a recruiter getting up to recruiter poo poo?

follow up turns out they were actually excited about meeting me. the first non useless recruiter I’ve met gave me a guide on everyone who’d be in the interview, their LinkedIn, and what tech they would ask about. interview went great and I’m super excited to get into what they are doing. I had a call 10 minutes after the interview saying they are going to make me an offer tomorrow.

super glad about having something not be lovely for once and be resolved within a week. there’s no way I would’ve been able to tolerate this bullshit dick against a grinding wheel process without this thread.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
meeting a rare non poo poo recruiter is such a joy, 95% of them add no value.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

jesus WEP posted:

a take home exercise is a red flag that i will never do again

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
wtf did someone tell you to do anyway, write a c++ compiler?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a take home exercise is a red flag that i will never do again

we once interviewed a guy who was a real talker. I tried and tried to get him to write some code down but he just kept talking. I gave the next interviewer a heads up and said try to get him to code asap because I couldn't at all, and he had the same problem. Thing is he was saying the correct things and he didn't sound full of poo poo, just didn't write any code. So we gave him a take home and he did pretty well on it so we hired him and he does a pretty good job. They're not always bad. They can definitely be a waste of time but I would have said no on him if it weren't for the take home

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Don’t grub for money any time an employer requests a take home exercise, but definitely get a commitment that they will send you detailed feedback if your solution isn’t accepted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

and for your actual doctor's appt if you're going back into the office be sure to dress up. suit & tie

no one would believe you went to a computer related interview either

i think if I showed up to work randomly in suit and tie my boss would ask who died

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ugh, nonstop talkers are the worst. you have to learn how to be rude and interrupt them and say that it’s time to write some code. otherwise they will talk forever and it hurts them because you can’t evaluate them.

take home exams can be instructive to the taker. if they give you something that should take an hour and it would really take 10 hours, you know they are unrealistic and you can :sever: immediately. if it’s a pointless exercise that doesn’t test any real skill other that you being able to grind out some code, they are bad at interviewing. if it’s ridiculously easy then either they don’t understand what your level is or they are morons.

a good take home problem should be easy to code but prove you have enough language and critical thinking skills to solve it in a good way. just like any other interview question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gazpacho posted:

Don’t grub for money any time an employer requests a take home exercise, but definitely get a commitment that they will send you detailed feedback if your solution isn’t accepted

The second developer interview evaluates your skills via a take-home project. You will find the project requirements in this email. Please treat this project as if you are delivering it to a client.

The requirements for the test project are:
Write an application to Review Restaurants

User must be able to create an account and log in.
Implement 3 roles with different permission levels
* Regular User: Can rate and leave a comment for a restaurant
* Owner: Can create restaurants and reply comments about owned restaurants
* Admin: Can edit/delete all users, restaurants, comments, and reviews
Reviews should have:
* A 5 star based rate
* Date of the visit
* Comment
When a Regular User logs in he will see a Restaurant List ordered by Rate Average
When an Owner logs in he will see a Restaurant List only the ones owned by him, and the reviews pending to reply
Owners can reply the review once
Restaurants detailed view should have:
* The overall average rating
* The highest rated review
* The lowest rated review
* Last reviews with rate, comment, and reply
Restaurant List can be filtered by Rating
REST API. Make it possible to perform all user actions via the API, including authentication
In any case, you should be able to explain how a REST API works and demonstrate that by creating functional tests that use the REST Layer directly. Please be prepared to use REST clients like Postman, cURL, etc. for this purpose.
If it’s a web application, it must be a single-page application. All actions need to be done client-side using AJAX, refreshing the page is not acceptable.
Functional UI/UX design is needed. You are not required to create a unique design, however, do follow best practices to make the project as functional as possible.
Bonus: unit and e2e tests.

This project will be used to evaluate your skills and should be fully functional without any obvious missing pieces. We will evaluate the project as if you were delivering it to a customer.