Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

1redflag posted:

Decided to play Dark Souls 3 (bought it like 2 years ago and just never got around to playing it) the other day and feel so drat slow after playing Bloodborne/Sekiro. The weapon variety is nice tho, and I’m clowning on all the early area mobs/bosses because of how patient Sekiro’s swordplay has trained me. Nevertheless, I miss the rally mechanic from BB so bad; likely need to start using this butcher’s knife once I’ve got sufficient strength.

Before I put down DS3 for Sekiro, I was doing my best to turn my character into a Bloodborne hunter by wearing the pontiff’s ring while wielding twinblades and carrying the cursed greatwood spear on my back. It kind of works!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Any tips for the Dad fight.
I mean, the real Dad fight.
The dude is a huge bastard, but I can't even be mad because of how beautifully he counters you. :allears:
It's honestly more how I was expecting the fight at the palace to go, guess the last few years have been rough on him.

Your Computer posted:

yeah, in my challenge run I used the charged attack to force her to deflect and got through the fight without her summoning any

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNYgLRMxwB0

Pretty sure you're a wizard. But seriously, these videos are neat.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Regarding dad fight:

HenryEx posted:

Use Ichimonji against the overhead smash. If you see him prep the smash, prep your own, because yours is faster. :haw:

And regarding firecrackers: this ended up being my favorite attack of the boss. Use the fire umbrella, parry the firecrackers AND his follow up hit in one swoop, and then retaliate with a huge fire swipe of your own directly to the face. Completely neuters the firecrackers and in fact deals decent posture/vit damage to the boss.
It's the only boss fight where i actually regularly used a tool.

Also, while looking through my old posts here to find the quote above, i found this gem:

HenryEx posted:

but for the bottomless jerk, stay away from his balls, when he finally pulls out don't go near him, check your surroundings in a panic for where he winds up and you can just deflect the enormous stream coming at you.

I don't remember it sounding that bad when i wrote it back then, but i guess context matters

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Your Computer posted:

complaining on the internet always helps, it's a proven scientific fact

Can confirm, I beat Owl Dad last night :v:

The secret:

-Mortal Draw after the overhead smash

-I saw several videos on YouTube of people dodging forwards through the firecrackers and hitting him once or twice, I could never get that to work, so I always just jumped backwards

-Parry/Mikiri everything else; stay close to him and keep trading blows with him to get in little bits of damage here and there as well as keep his posture damage up. When he’s at about 1/3 of his health you can just keep deflecting his attacks until his posture breaks and you get the deathblow prompt

If you have the Lady Butterfly Kunai upgrade for the loaded shuriken you can spam it at him as soon as he turns around at the beginning of the fight to take off a chunk of his health too if that helps

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The shura boss fights are really cool. Emma's really neat (as much as her hug made me rage), isshin 1 becomes a breeze, isshin 2 is craziness. I recommend them highly and it's a shame so few players get to see them, they're my favorite fights behind the other final boss.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Sheen Sheen posted:

-I saw several videos on YouTube of people dodging forwards through the firecrackers and hitting him once or twice, I could never get that to work, so I always just jumped backwards
You have to dodge a little to the right to get past him and out of the firecracker hit box. It's tough to do consistently and you lose most of your life every time you fail so I ended up just jumping backwards too.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Man, I beat the game on NG again, maybe for the second time, maybe third? But it seemed hard, then I beat it on the third try so I went to my NG+2 character and thought I could do it easily but it took probably 25 tries, and even though this fight was super sloppy, I resurrected twice, and used all my healing gourds and had a sliver of health left, I feel like it'd be nearly impossible to get a perfect deflect only ISS.. I'll try the Shura ending maybe if I can speed through NG+3, but without Kuro's charm it's really hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROxmUVhVh4 Here's the NG+2 fight, it's pretty wild how you can get hit like twice and die even on the third NG cycle.
Also at like a minute and a half I notice for the first time that Kuro is just lying there in the middle of the field, wtf. That blew my mind.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this game is loving infuriating I'm not even gonna lie

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

romanowski posted:

this game is loving infuriating I'm not even gonna lie

It does get harder after the bull, where are you? But yeah, the bosses immediately after the bull are probably the hardest in the game, maybe. Or it seems like it because you have a hard Boss, two hard as hell mini bosses (the general in front of the castle isn't too bad, take out the snipers with shurikens from far away if you want to start the fight safely), but yeah, save the Seven Ashina Spears mini boss for later. The main boss at the castle area took me like 200 tries probably..

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

there are too many drat minibosses

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The number of minibosses is fine, the number of times you fight certain minibosses is not.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what's the most attack power you can have for the genichiro ashina fight? right now I have 3 and despite all the other areas I've discovered I haven't encountered any other Actual Bosses

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

romanowski posted:

what's the most attack power you can have for the genichiro ashina fight? right now I have 3 and despite all the other areas I've discovered I haven't encountered any other Actual Bosses

There are 3 total bosses you can fight before Genichiro but one of them requires you to go very far out of your way to what's intended to be a midgame area.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’ve just started my first playthrough! I’ve killed a couple of mini bosses and found a bell. I went back in time and got my poo poo pushed in by a Shinobi hunter miniboss and now I have sickness items in my inventory and appear to be slowly killing my sculptor friend.

I can either go back to keep at that guy or pick back up from bell mom. So far I’m terrible and that’s okay! I haven’t picked any skills yet but did find a prayer bead and a gourd seed!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

romanowski posted:

That's normal. Genichiro is the first major wall in the game and most people take a lot of tries to beat him. Focus on learning how to respond to everything he can do, and take a break if you stop making progress.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I am the master of this game

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I really like the game for the cool stuff it tries to do and succeeds at doing.

But the number of early game minibosses surrounded by mooks is way too high, and the ones that aren't (Ogre and BBull) are turds. Imagine if Enshin of Misen was an enemy you couldn't deathblow but he wasnt surrounded by half a dozen bandits, it would have made actually learning the mikiri so much easier. Maybe the game wants you to flail around for the first five hours until it gives you the time and opportunity to use the important mechanics with the Genichiro and Jinsuke fights.

Like what's the intended approach the new player is supposed to take vs Juzou? Awkwardly pull aggro, kite, repeat for a dozen dudes then deathblow the moron boss for the first dot? And then if the player wants to actually learn the higher risk, actually fun mechanics like not doing hit and run they have to repeat the kiting process if things go south? it's just weird man.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 8, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Wave posted:

But the number of early game minibosses surrounded by mooks is way too high, and the ones that aren't (Ogre and BBull) are turds. Imagine if Enshin of Misen was an enemy you couldn't deathblow but he wasnt surrounded by half a dozen bandits, it would have made actually learning the mikiri so much easier. Maybe the game wants you to flail around for the first five hours until it gives you the time and opportunity to use the important mechanics with the Genichiro and Jinsuke fights.

Like what's the intended approach the new player is supposed to take vs Juzou? Awkwardly pull aggro, kite, repeat for a dozen dudes then deathblow the moron boss for the first dot? And then if the player wants to actually learn the higher risk, actually fun mechanics like not doing hit and run they have to repeat the kiting process if things go south? it's just weird man.

When I first got to Juzou I died a lotta times on the fight but I never had huge trouble with the dudes around him. You can circle around to the left to stealth-kill the two in the house, then just go back to the friendly guy and charge in together. Rush the rest of the enemies and you can kill them pretty quickly while Juzou is chasing around the other dude. I didn't even know you could stealth deathblow him, actually.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
For Owl's firecracker move, you just need to recognize his shoulder bash move. After he knocks you away, you need to walk up to him so you are close enough to dodge the gunpowder igniting slash move.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

No Wave posted:

I'd assume the 'intended path' is something like Ashina Outskirts up to the Ogre, then Hirata Estate up to Enshin, go back to Ashina probably until the castle, back to Hirata through Juzou, back to the Castle to wrap up the various minibosses and do Lady Butterfly and Genichirou around the same spot.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Man I dunno if I just got lucky the first go around or what but the Ape was a lot harder on NG+. I blitzed him in two tries on NG, but it took me like 5 this time, which seems weird since I didn't even know his moves the first time. He seemed to do those grabs way more often and I didn't notice just how bullshit the hitboxes were on them.

So far that's been the only boss that has felt noticeably harder. Whipping Genichiro's rear end on the first attempt felt so good after what a brick wall he was the first time. Skipping all the minibosses and most of the regular mobs because the drops are completely worthless now and just playing it like a boss rush mode is pretty fun. Probably gonna go for the plat although grinding those last skill points seems like it's gonna be pretty awful. Only bosses I'm really dreading this time are Owl and ISS. There are ways to completely cheese their AI but that's no fun. I don't care much for the Owl fight but ISS I actually enjoy, it just has too many drat healthbars so I feel like I can't ever take any risks and go for the more fun, cinematic fight. It really needed to let you skip the first phase after the first time, it was a cool moment but he's mostly a chump that just serves to drain your gourd charges if you eyeball your distance / parry timing wrong.

Also kinda bummed that you can keep boosting your attack but can't get a ridiculous gently caress-off healthbar like you could in Souls.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are a few funny moments in Sekiro. On the second visit to the castle I eavesdropped on this monk who was worried if his paycheck from the Ashina clan was going to clear:

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Extra Large Marge posted:

There are a few funny moments in Sekiro. On the second visit to the castle I eavesdropped on this monk who was worried if his paycheck from the Ashina clan was going to clear:

you can eavesdrop on him again later once everything is on fire and he'll talk about how he's leaving because there's nobody to pay him

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

No Wave posted:

Is the mist raven bad? Nobody seems to use it. I used it on the cool quickdraw guy under genichiro and it trivialized the fight to a degree where I should have stopped using it but it was too hilarious. It seems almost unfair strong especially the early part of boss fights when you really want to do vit damave.
The variant that lets you trigger it after taking damage can be paired with slow poison to let you use it whenever you want which is pretty fun.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

WaltherFeng posted:

During the Emma fight she has a special attack that will break your lock on unless you deflect the last hit and the animation changes accordingly

Yeah, this is what makes me think that FROM most definitely knows about the limitations of their camera systems and actually likes it that way, and not only likes it but considers it a core design choice. It's funny and weird.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My first time against shura isshin I got stuck behind the open door and lost both lives. Somehow I never think to pause and mist raven.

Point being why would the door even be like that if it werent for those moments.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming posted:

Not sure what the say about the monk, while it wasn't super hard, I'm glad it wasn't another guardian ape.

Just wanna :lol: that I posted this.
tbf I was expecting to find the real monk later, just, like maybe a Maiden Astraea, or the gatekeeper of Byrgenworth situation. Oh well.
The first time I was fighting her, when she disappears and the shadows pop up, I instantly noped out with the grapple points, which got me above the fog to see the real one, and I got that instant drop kill on her.
Absolutely love how this game telegraphs things.
I got pretty much instantly killed by the centipede vomit though, so it took a few tries before I got the new moves down, wild to be able to get to the last form of a boss like that without getting hit at all.

So after exploring a bit of the fountainhead palace and getting some lightning thrown at me, I think I'll now go back to fight Dad.

Or maybe the other two headless now that I have unlimited access to confetti :getin:

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
help

I thought I was getting in to a rhythm. I killed horse boss on my second try and felt really good! But then:

Spear miniboss: Felt like I wasn't able to distinguish between the start of his thrust (counter w/ dodge) or his strike (deflect) and so kept dying. Did eventually kill it on accident.
Bull: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than run circles behind it and hit its butt once or twice, then run away again. I've tried parrying/blocking but take damage from everything and it basically one or two shots me.
went another direction and
Drunk: Holy poo poo there are five billion dudes with this guy. I can't figure out how to clear the 5/6 guys across the water without pulling them all at once and I can't figure out how to effectively manage so many different types of attack at once. Surrounded by three dudes, arrows and
a kanji pops up out of nowhere and suddenly an unseen guy pops out to slice my balls off. When I do manage to get across the water I can pretty quickly clear the courtyard thanks to NPC man but then the drunk causes me to take damage with his palm hits even if I'm blocking/reflecting and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've gotten him to one deathblow twice but Jesus

This game is breaking my will. I'm struggling with mixing up the appropriate rock/paper/scissor on the kanji constantly, or getting it right but (for example) jumping over the swipe but away from the boss so there's no opportunity to jump kick. I just came off Souls 3 and the muscle memory is loving me up hard, in addition to the split second nature of the choices you're making.

Any advice? I'm stuck on both bull and the drunk and after putting 10 or so tries into each and feeling more defeated than I ever felt in any other From game, to the point that I'm not sure I'm even having fun. I'm pretty sure half the world is going to die from dragonrot at the dismal rate I'm going.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 9, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

drat, y'all done good. 500 pages of shinobi.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Fifteen of Many posted:

Bull: I have no idea what I'm supposed to do other than run circles behind it and hit its butt once or twice, then run away again. I've tried parrying/blocking but take damage from everything and it basically one or two shots me.
Bull has fire horns, you don't want to parry fire attacks since they'll still scorch you. You pretty much have it, you need to run in circles and make sure he doesn't get a chance to charge directly at you, then strike while he's vulnerable after a miss. Toro!

quote:

Drunk: Holy poo poo there are five billion dudes with this guy. I can't figure out how to clear the 5/6 guys across the water without pulling them all at once and I can't figure out how to effectively manage so many different types of attack at once. Surrounded by three dudes, arrows and
a kanji pops up out of nowhere and suddenly an unseen guy pops out to slice my balls off. When I do manage to get across the water I can pretty quickly clear the courtyard thanks to NPC man but then the drunk causes me to take damage with his palm hits even if I'm blocking/reflecting and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've gotten him to one deathblow twice but Jesus
Don't be afraid to hit-and-run. Shinobi fight dirty. You can whittle down mobs by running in, aggroing everyone but only killing a guy or two, then running or grappling away to catch your breath. I like to do a first pass through the mob where I take out the archers, since they're a huge pain and have no defense, then go hide and let the mob reset, then strike again.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fifteen of Many posted:

help

I thought I was getting in to a rhythm. I killed horse boss on my second try and felt really good! But then:

Spear miniboss: Felt like I wasn't able to distinguish between the start of his thrust (counter w/ dodge) or his strike (deflect) and so kept dying. Did eventually kill it on accident.

This game is breaking my will. I'm struggling with mixing up the appropriate rock/paper/scissor on the kanji constantly, or getting it right but (for example) jumping over the swipe but away from the boss so there's no opportunity to jump kick. I just came off Souls 3 and the muscle memory is loving me up hard, in addition to the split second nature of the choices you're making.

Any advice? I'm stuck on both bull and the drunk and after putting 10 or so tries into each and feeling more defeated than I ever felt in any other From game, to the point that I'm not sure I'm even having fun. I'm pretty sure half the world is going to die from dragonrot at the dismal rate I'm going.

The dudes across the river from Juzou the Drunkard aren't close enough to bother you during the boss fight. You can just run past them along the rooftops. You'll still have to fight the ones in the courtyard with him though.
Your darksouls reflexes are probably telling to you sidestep his big slow telegraphed overhead swings (or at least mine were), but you can actually get way more of an opening if you just stay put and deflect them. That applies to a lot of enemies in this game actually. Usually these things do a lot of posture damage if you just block them, but if you deflect/parry the hit it can never do the full-posture-bar stun thing. And most enemies can't follow up to hit you during the stun even if they do fill your posture bar all the way. Deflect timing in this game is way more lenient than parries are in the Souls games, and even if you miss the timing you'll still block the hit, so it's pretty much always worth it to go for them.

For the Bull you can avoid just about everything by sprinting in a circle around it and just slicing its butt off.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

acksplode posted:

Bull has fire horns, you don't want to parry fire attacks since they'll still scorch you. You pretty much have it, you need to run in circles and make sure he doesn't get a chance to charge directly at you, then strike while he's vulnerable after a miss. Toro!

Nah, deflecting the charge is the quickest way to win the fight. Granted you will get crushed a good bit before you learn the timing and spacing required. The bull doesn’t attack quickly enough that you should be getting burned by him if you are deflecting the attacks. If you mix in some firecracker attack windows you only need to deflect it about 5-6 times iirc.

https://youtu.be/0mTGGZp06KM

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
For the long charge on the bull, hit parry right as he dips his head for the right timing.

For Juzou, sneak through the house on the left and get backstabs or throw shards to pull people inside so you can kill them without anyone noticing and run back across the water to the burning houses if you need to deaggro Juzou himself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fifteen of Many posted:

help

Bull:
Buy the item "Robert's Firecracker's" from the vendor on a hill next to the old lady who gave you the bell and use the shinobi prosthetic you make from it. If you use this every fifteen seconds or so near the bull you should be able to figure it out from there. 95% of players beat the bull the way you described the first time through, imo save the deflect shenanigans for when better made bosses closer to save points have properly taught you the mechanics. But the firecrackers are what you're missing I think. When you do firecracker keep in mind bull takes bonus damage when you hit him in the face but only do it when it is very very safe to do so.

Drunk:
Be patient with pulling guys. Use the sneak button (press L3) and deathblow, then run far away and lose aggro. Keep doing this until only drunk is left, then do it again to drunk to remove his first dot. Then just play super safe, like get kind of close to him until he attacks, backdash, get a hit in, etc. Don't even bother trying to deflect this time imo, it's too frustrating to die to this guy after how long it takes to pull everyone.

Both of these fights suck, the bull because it's the bull and the drunk because it takes way too long to pull all the guys to properly learn the fight on your first play through. You're trying to play the game the right way and these two fights punish you for it imo which is why the early game of sekiro bothers me, it gets much better very soon these two are just not fair for new players.

After this there's one more unfair early game fight (but it's very optional) and from then on out the game is less frustrating imo. Still a lot of dying tho.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 10, 2019

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Once you've got the first deathblow on Juzou (if you sneak attack it), or just once you've killed everyone, pull him into the shallows next to the Samurai and he'll help you out. He should last for a healthbar at least

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Or instead of all that tedious kiting crap just talk to the samurai to get him to charge in ahead and then rush to kill all the extra dudes while Juzou is distracted fighting him.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
most of the people asking for advice on juzou lose to him even once all the adds are gone

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
It’s pretty easy to sprint in, kill all the mooks, dip back into the covered walkway and into the pond and Juzou will get tethered, sneak up and deathblow him and quickly run over to your samurai friend and mash square, and take turns taking the aggro.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
You don't need to do the dialog with him. Juzou getting close will get him to join the fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
For Juzou, you see that rock next the the house on the left? The left bottom of the inverted U that the halls of the arena make, where you sneak in, kill some guys, and you have a route up the left of the arena to sneak up on that shield guy? There's a rock in front of that house. Sneak up to that rock and walk forward just a bit and you'll catch Juzou's interest and nobody else. He'll eventually saunter up and aggro you there but if you don't go too far you won't pull anyone else and you can kite him further away to fight him on his own without bothering with the rest of the guys in the courtyard.

Once there it's up to you, but that's about the time I realized I needed to change my tv to gaming mode so I wouldn't suffer from input lag.