Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah I went back and watched the scene again, you're right it's a legit .50 cal. Butcher really wasn't messing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it a .50 cal that she gets hit with? It seems like rubber bullets or some other kind of non-lethal round.

Why would you fire rubber bullets at someone who's bullet proof.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Maybe rubber is like kryptonite gotta be methodical and scratch it off the list.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Is it established before then that all the Supes are bulletproof? We know Homelander, Maeve, and Translucent are, and Starlight is strong, but it's left vague for the rest. I guess I just figured that he wouldn't risk hitting Hughie or killing Hughie's girlfriend right in front of him but obvious it ain't that kind of show.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it established before then that all the Supes are bulletproof?

Doubt it since A-Train got his leg snapped in half and Black Nior got pretty messed up. Not everyone's durability seems to be up there with Homelander.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

My impression was that Homelander was jealous of Stillwell's baby and hated it because he envied and coveted its position.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mat Cauthon posted:

Is it established before then that all the Supes are bulletproof? We know Homelander, Maeve, and Translucent are, and Starlight is strong, but it's left vague for the rest. I guess I just figured that he wouldn't risk hitting Hughie or killing Hughie's girlfriend right in front of him but obvious it ain't that kind of show.

They're generally durable as gently caress, when he first appears Frenchie straight up tells Hughie that killing Supes isn't really feasible.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Romes128 posted:

Doubt it since A-Train got his leg snapped in half and Black Nior got pretty messed up. Not everyone's durability seems to be up there with Homelander.

That was both The Female, who's a supe too.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Zwabu posted:

My impression was that Homelander was jealous of Stillwell's baby and hated it because he envied and coveted its position.

Real normal guy, that Homelander

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Zwabu posted:

They definitely play this up in all of his interactions with Stillwell or anytime Homelander has to pretend that he had a normal home life, albeit in a very subtle way that relies on you paying attention to seemingly passive emoting by Homelander (seriously if the guy who played him doesn't get an Emmy nod I will be astounded) but there's also a deleted scene in Episode 8 where we see a flashback of adolescent Homelander growing up in the lab and killing a tutor/surrogate mother figure who is apparently the latest in a long line of unfortunate, deceased people shoved into that role. I can see why they cut it, it would've telegraphed the ending pretty obviously but yeah he hated the gently caress out of that baby and probably relished letting it get vaporized.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I was more worried Homelander would do something to that baby than Butcher at the end there.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Mat Cauthon posted:

How do you test to see if someone's bulletproof? I mean, maybe you can take a punch to the face without flinching, and you can take a knife and press it to your skin and hey, it doesn't cut you, yup, you're pretty durable. But I don't know how you test bulletproofity without having huge issues if it turns out that you're not.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phenotype posted:

How do you test to see if someone's bulletproof?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn8Botjf6h0

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

How do you test to see if someone's bulletproof?

https://youtu.be/xjs1249HBh4?t=23

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Does Starlight have a similar powerset in the comics? I know she's a lot more timid from the (few) issues I read but I never saw her display them before I :yikes: stopped

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's been a while since I read it but I think her power was just light projection, no force-blast component and nothing about converting electricity to power it, though she could also fly.

I also liked that the very first thing we saw Homelander do was a classic Superman-esque melt-the-gun trick, establishing the precision and control over his heat vision that he then proceeds to virtually never exercise again for the rest of the season. Because he's the loving Homelander and he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, especially when the cameras aren't rolling.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

It's been a while since I read it but I think her power was just light projection, no force-blast component and nothing about converting electricity to power it, though she could also fly.

I also liked that the very first thing we saw Homelander do was a classic Superman-esque melt-the-gun trick, establishing the precision and control over his heat vision that he then proceeds to virtually never exercise again for the rest of the season. Because he's the loving Homelander and he can do whatever the gently caress he wants, especially when the cameras aren't rolling.

that special forces guys face after he merks that dude running away is awesome.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlbear Camus posted:

According to IMFDB it's a .50BMG rifle, the aptly acronymed Serbu BFG-50A.

That would be an extremely unusual caliber to find a less-than-lethal munition for, and even if the bullet were made of rubber, it would be at best severely injuring for a normal human at the kind of range Butcher was shooting Starlight

Worth noting it's the same weapon used in the failed attempt to kill a caged Translucent.

gently caress sakes Butcher, buy a 2nd gun, that ones clearly faulty

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Romes128 posted:

I vaguely remember A-Train being unnaturally tough too before that scene though, and he did recover very rapidly. The TV show seems to be going for supes just being difficult to kill period, outside of the scope of their superpower. Like how Transluscent somehow was resistant to both being poisoned and drowning (???) despite that ostensibly having nothing to do with his powers.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^^^ I bet this is going to be a point if they ever show us POTENTIAL COMIC SPOILER what happened to LampLighter, since it's been...lampshaded :rimshot: heavily in Season 1

bring back old gbs posted:

gently caress sakes Butcher, buy a 2nd gun, that ones clearly faulty

You come at the king, you best not miss *misses*

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 9, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Owlbear Camus posted:

According to IMFDB it's a .50BMG rifle, the aptly acronymed Serbu BFG-50A.

That would be an extremely unusual caliber to find a less-than-lethal munition for, and even if the bullet were made of rubber, it would be at best severely injuring for a normal human at the kind of range Butcher was shooting Starlight

Worth noting it's the same weapon used in the failed attempt to kill a caged Translucent.

not to get :goonsay: but yeah Israeli 5.56 even rubber tipped have broken palestinian skulls. Not here to start that debate, just saying I imagine a .50 rubber would probably decapitate you

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MiddleOne posted:

I vaguely remember A-Train being unnaturally tough too before that scene though, and he did recover very rapidly. The TV show seems to be going for supes just being difficult to kill period, outside of the scope of their superpower. Like how Transluscent somehow was resistant to both being poisoned and drowning (???) despite that ostensibly having nothing to do with his powers.

Well he's clearly more resilient than a normal human, otherwise he would have popped just like Hughie's girlfriend, equal and opposite reactions or whatever. He was moving just as fast INTO her as she was getting hit BY him. A speedster could probably kill themselves by tripping at full speed if they didn't have some sort of enhanced durability, even if it isn't on par with Homelander.

I was actually expecting this sort of thing to happen to the other speedster during his race with A-Train. I thought Homelander would laser the other guy's achilles and he'd splat into a wall and Butcher was staring at him to catch the act, but they used that scene for something else later.

Hell, maybe the V speeds you up at the cost of that durability. So it's even more of a risk. Better pay attention to your footing.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 9, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

quote:

I'm a very strong saiyan. Very strong. Probably the strongest ever.

these supes are out of control

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alan Smithee posted:

these supes are out of control

Homelander inviting a College Basketball team to Vought HQ to feast on the new Bacon and Cheese VoughtBurger with a full media presence

-the commercials all say the burgers are cooked using patriotic Homelander eye laser tech

-A-train on roller skates brings ur meal to the car

-the Butchler always tries to steal the secret V sauce

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Unlike comic-book speedsters, A-Train doesn't have any kind of physics-bending power. He's just strong and tough enough to move that fast without killing himself. This means he usually can't do normal things in a fraction of the time because he just rips poo poo apart; the only stunt like that he pulled in the show is when he killed his girlfriend Popclaw.

bring back old gbs posted:

Homelander inviting a College Basketball team to Vought HQ to feast on the new Bacon and Cheese VoughtBurger with a full media presence
You don't need superpowers to fly around the world raping and murdering whoever you want; you just need money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Halloween Jack posted:

Unlike comic-book speedsters, A-Train doesn't have any kind of physics-bending power. He's just strong and tough enough to move that fast without killing himself. This means he usually can't do normal things in a fraction of the time because he just rips poo poo apart; the only stunt like that he pulled in the show is when he killed his girlfriend Popclaw.

You don't need superpowers to fly around the world raping and murdering whoever you want; you just need money.

I forget who it was that said "money is my superpower".

Fun fact about A-Train - the thing he wears on his chest isn't armour. It's a splash guard.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

McSpanky posted:

i think it's funny that he always starts the beam away and then cuts across so it looks cooler when he could just shoot the beam at them and kill them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly the most brutal scene in the show for me was A-Train slamming Limiko’s head into the concrete wall multiple times a second for like over a minute. Kimiko surviving that was a surprise.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly the most brutal scene in the show for me was A-Train slamming Limiko’s head into the concrete wall multiple times a second for like over a minute. Kimiko surviving that was a surprise.

I thought she was dead and always wondered how she survived until the fight with Black Noir

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
A Train has super speed but not super reflexes, which is why he hit Robin (being hopped up on Compound V didn't help things obviously).

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

One little thing I liked about that scene--I'd have to rewatch it to be sure, but it seemed like A-Train was around the corner and completely out of sight from the platform until Frenchie started yelling, then instead of hiding or running he immediately pokes his head out for the world to see.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

A Train has super speed but not super reflexes, which is why he hit Robin (being hopped up on Compound V didn't help things obviously).

He was dodging energy blasts from Starlight so he does have super reflexes. Being high as a kite is a more likely explanation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think haley joel getting his cranium cracked was the most brutal.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly not as brutal as the scene with his daughter. Imagine wanting nothing more than to be in her life, and then patting her on the back... and realizing in an instant that she doesn’t want to be around you or get to know you and just wants to go home.

Honestly HJO knocked Mesmir out of the park, I thought he did a great job.

I also literally have never seen the 6th Sense or A.I. so I never got sick of him either.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jedit posted:

I forget who it was that said "money is my superpower".

Fun fact about A-Train - the thing he wears on his chest isn't armour. It's a splash guard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Superbat is basically Iron Man Bruce Wayne rich and his idea was "I'm gonna use this money to be a loving superhero celeb".

I think his last line in Final Crisis is "behold! the power of money unleashed!"

Also they ripped it off for BvS when Flash asks Bruce what his power is

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
For some reason I though the actor who plays Mallory was the same as the actor who played Milner in Utopia. Isn't the Amazon version out this year some time. Utopia was perfect already if tragically killed off too soon, to save mankind from itself.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think haley joel getting his cranium cracked was the most brutal.

I think this is the first show to have a over the top death by facesitting.

At least it was also a landlord death.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’ll just come out and say it:

Show needs a touch more boobie. I really almost barfed when I thought Homie was gonna nurse from Stilwell in that one scene but they cut away from it and I was so relieved.

But just gimme like a scene in a strip club or something. I don’t wanna see Maeve or Starlight or Kimiko naked, I just want a little more senseless nudity.

As it stands, shout out to the show just have like a shredded dude hang song in the first episode or two to try to flip “gratuitous nudity” on its head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

You saying we should've seen if The Deep was a grower or a shower when he pulled a Louis C.K. on Starlight?