Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's the best?
Kirika
Dess
View Results

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dzhay posted:

I assumed it was just kung-fu bullshit, which has been established to be able to neutralise explosions and let you run on water.

Fudou isn't nearly noble enough to do true kung-fu tho :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Miku is a main character in the mobage so she should be save right? RIGHT? She should be until Fudou sticks the gauntlet on her

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Normally I would say it's misdirection but Hibiki stabbed several death flags straight into Miku's heart. Your guess is as good as mine.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Clearly Hibiki just needs to break a piece off from Gungnir and stuff it into Miku's torso. It worked for her when Kanade did it, after all.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Death Flags only really affect you in Symphogear if you're a bad guy, it's fine.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Someone asked "what if the trick is that there is no trick", but an idea I might like better if this is some sort of double fake out is if Milaarc really did swing at Miku - but Bikky arrived at the last moment to take the hit instead. Could be a delightfully mean followup to Miku's outburst last ep.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Frankly, the fountain of blood was way too comical to be an important character.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Doesn't Miku have a hole in her skull from Vers implanting that relic into her a couple of seasons ago? The show isn't shy about putting her through adversity.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SpWhiteBs/status/1158787958117261312

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh yeah Hibiki got her arm munched off that one time.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

XV should cut off Bikky's arm for real IMO

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Them kind of copping out on that is still disappointing.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On a less painful note:

https://twitter.com/ftko_beerkuzu/status/1159109632129822720

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Them kind of copping out on that is still disappointing.

This.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1159921675758198785?s=20

Haha, look at the PV text trying to scare us, you can't fool me Symphogear

:ohdear:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
i'm sure miku's just offscreen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
miku is the cameraman

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

i'm sure miku's just offscreen

in heaven

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
in hell :twisted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Godspeed, nameless car driver guy. :patriot:

Looks like Tsubasa is gonna get mind controlled by bad dad and Maria will turn her back by invoking the bonds they share with their dead girlfriends. :h:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chris is cool, Vanessa is cool, evil inspector guy sure had a lot of blood, Elfnein confirmed to have Carol's body (though I don't know if this was already known), and am I remembering wrong or did that thing at the end look an awful lot like nehushtan?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The coiled vine-like stuff at the bottom definitely made me think nehushtan, but Maria saying it reminded her of "apple" and the fact they keep mentioning original sin makes me think biblical snake or the tree of knowledge

Bonus: since Miku and Hibiki have been cleansed of original sin, they're the new Eve and Eve.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Kind of miffed that Tsubasa's bond with Hibiki and Chris is being shoved to the backburner in favor of Tsubamari stuff, but eh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

Kind of miffed that Tsubasa's bond with Hibiki and Chris is being shoved to the backburner in favor of Tsubamari stuff, but eh.
yeah, i kind of agree. hibiki's bond with tsubasa was the best part of season 1 by a mile, and i've never really bought into the tsubamari angle.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I admit, part of my bias comes from Tsubasa/Chris being my favorite pairing, but there's history there of those two being the ones to talk Tsubasa back from her darkest times or vice versa, while Maria... helped Tsubasa once with her dad, I guess.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

On the other hand I feel like Maria's kind of struggled to feel as much like a substantial part of the team since G ended, so I very much appreciate the added focus.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm really glad they're not walking back that Noble Red are loving evil despite fleshing them out some. They have reasons for it but it's hard to get around "Are you going to keep killing innocents?" being replied to with an incredibly smug "yep" even if we didn't have them kill 100,000 people and brutally murder a little girl on screen.

Nodosaur posted:

I'm actually more disappointed that Chris barely interacts with Miku or noticeably cares about her despite Miku being a huge part of the reason why she flipped to the good guys in the first place.

Nodosaur posted:

I admit, part of my bias comes from Tsubasa/Chris being my favorite pairing, but there's history there of those two being the ones to talk Tsubasa back from her darkest times or vice versa, while Maria... helped Tsubasa once with her dad, I guess.

The thing is that Tsubasa's core conflict has always been between singing professionally and being a fighter. Maria's been sharing that conflict with her since Symphogear G. That and one of Tsubasa's main issues for the past...3 seasons? has been her hosed up lineage and Maria's been the one on point to deal with that typically.

Tsubasa and Hibiki haven't really had a huge amount of together time since season 1 when they were the sum total of the cast, and Tsubasa/Chris was a big thing in G but never since. They've been pushing Tsubasa/Maria since like GX, with them being the paired idol singers and having all sorts of scenes like Tsubasa quite literally princess carrying Maria out of danger in AXZ.

Maria's my favorite gear though so I pay a lot of attention to her scenes. :shobon:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 10, 2019

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, Tsubasa interacts with Chris more than she does Maria in AXZ. She's there supporting Chris when she goes to meet with Sonia and Stephan and is always the one to notice when she's thinking too much about the past. It's not really ship tease, or anything, but I wouldn't say they ignore that those two are supposed to be close at all in the last season.

Princess carrying and a shippy line or two don't really add up to much significant character interaction. She and Maria are really light on meaningful interaction in AXZ

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

I'm really glad they're not walking back that Noble Red are loving evil despite fleshing them out some. They have reasons for it but it's hard to get around "Are you going to keep killing innocents?" being replied to with an incredibly smug "yep" even if we didn't have them kill 100,000 people and brutally murder a little girl on screen.

I'm actually more disappointed that Chris barely interacts with Miku or noticeably cares about her despite Miku being a huge part of the reason why she flipped to the good guys in the first place.

The thing is that Tsubasa's core conflict has always been between singing professionally and being a fighter. Maria's been sharing that conflict with her since Symphogear G. That and one of Tsubasa's main issues for the past...3 seasons? has been her hosed up lineage and Maria's been the one on point to deal with that typically.

Tsubasa and Hibiki haven't really had a huge amount of together time since season 1 when they were the sum total of the cast, and Tsubasa/Chris was a big thing in G but never since. They've been pushing Tsubasa/Maria since like GX, with them being the paired idol singers and having all sorts of scenes like Tsubasa quite literally princess carrying Maria out of danger in AXZ.

Maria's my favorite gear though so I pay a lot of attention to her scenes. :shobon:

the issue is that all the maria/tsubasa stuff is mostly just light gags or visual things or maria being in the general vicinity of tsubasa while plot happens, while hibiki and tsubasa and chris and tsubasa had actual arcs relating to one another that impacted their characters going forward. some of this is just the writing differences between s1 and the later stuff, but still.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
Loool at the shipping wars. That said I feel the same way. The OVA shorts have shown more Chris interacting with Miku than was ever on the show past season 1.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is part of why, for all its flaws, S1 is my favorite season. The character arcs are actually the primary focus, with the fighting and singing serving to emphasize them. G had some of this too, but by GX it was pretty firmly a tokusatsu show where character stuff were quick asides between action, and often used for comedic relief. And that isn't a bad dichotomy at all, but it meant stuff I wanted more emphasis on or more exploration of kind of got sidelined.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

This is part of why, for all its flaws, S1 is my favorite season. The character arcs are actually the primary focus, with the fighting and singing serving to emphasize them. G had some of this too, but by GX it was pretty firmly a tokusatsu show where character stuff were quick asides between action, and often used for comedic relief. And that isn't a bad dichotomy at all, but it meant stuff I wanted more emphasis on or more exploration of kind of got sidelined.

I agree with this statement almost entirely and I think the lesser focus on character moments in later seasons is partially because S1 is really tonally different than the other seasons but mainly due to the cast size increasing, which lines up with your timeline. By GX we have six main girls plus Miku that they're trying to juggle character moments and interactions with, plus whatever the main plot is, in a single cour season. This led to some really ugly plotting in GX where you have a series of episodes which are basically "let's deal with the girls' problems this season in order going down a checklist so we can say we gave them all an episode". AXZ was a fair bit more natural about it, but even AXZ had some somewhat ham-fisted stuff, like the Unison mini-arc(let's invent a plot reason to have the girls interact outside their designated pairings, because we're so strapped for time that we can't usually fit in Shirabe interacting with people who aren't Kirika).

I don't think adding the FiS girls to the show was a bad thing but it definitely marked the beginning of a departure from the rather intense focus on character arcs S1 had.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plus the point of the show is ultimately to sell character song CDs, so you can't have an episode without a fight because that'd mean there was no song. Some episodes in S1 had a concert scene but no fight, but of course a decent looking concert scene is a lot harder to animate (and justify) than a decent looking fight. And with twice the number of charcaters, that's twice the number of songs you need to advertise.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
i was ready to be mad at the car chase for forgetting what ogawa is in an effort to move things along, but then car clone happened and i was pleased

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno, I felt like Tsubasa and Shirabe's pair up was handled relatively well.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno, I felt like Tsubasa and Shirabe's pair up was handled relatively well.
That one was alright and they at least tried to give Kirika and Hibiki some kind of moment, but Chris and Maria felt like the leftovers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I'm really hungry for more interaction between those two, but. Eh. Wattaya gonna do?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I agree too. Of course I don't begrudge the success, but the cohesiveness of the first season hasn't been close to being matched.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Season 1 is also the only season where Miku gets meaningful interactions with a character other than Hibiki and it's very good.

To an extent I've felt this last season was drawing on some aspects of season 1's themes and i've been a big fan of that because the 1st season had really strong theming and worked with those themes in good and cool ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Agree with everyone on there being too many main characters for a franchise with one cour seasons.

But more importantly, did that guy actually say "show me the end of the world" while looking at Chris's butt and if so, why