Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Okay Owl Daddy is kicking my butt, but I like this fight.
I was pretty impressed the first couple times I tried to stab him and ended up getting mikiri countered and murdered to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Against the advice of this thread, I beat the first Seven Spears guy instead of saving him until the endgame. Hell yeah! Used fire to wear down his vitality (About ran out of oil across my attempts), and stayed away and whittled him very slowly down. After Mikiri countering him I'd just stay away if he wasn't going to do that follow up attack that staggers him if you counter it. I beat the first Lone Shadow dude soon after and his devious ally, the camera.

So I wandered a while and am unsure what I want to do next, and the minibosses I'm aware of all look like trouble. There's the Headless by the Demon Bell, two Snake Eyes guys (The one in Ashina Depths and one across a canyon), the ghost guy who constantly barrages you with terror orbs. I found the white pinwheel, which goes to a guy I met at the beginning of the temple, but even looking up questlines I'm not following what I'm supposed to do since apparently there's a branching path. I haven't really avoided spoilers, so I guess the next major boss is atop Ashina Castle, but I don't know which way that is.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Aug 10, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

Against the advice of this thread, I beat the first Seven Spears guy instead of saving him until the endgame. Hell yeah! Used fire to wear down his vitality (About ran out of oil across my attempts), and stayed away and whittled him very slowly down. After Mikiri countering him I'd just stay away if he wasn't going to do that follow up attack that staggers him if you counter it. I beat the first Lone Shadow dude soon after and his devious ally, the camera.

So I wandered a while and am unsure what I want to do next, and the minibosses I'm aware of all look like trouble. There's the Headless by the Demon Bell, two Snake Eyes guys (The one in Ashina Depths and one across a canyon), the ghost guy who constantly barrages you with terror orbs. I found the white pinwheel, which goes to a guy I met at the beginning of the temple, but even looking up questlines I'm not following what I'm supposed to do since apparently there's a branching path. I haven't really avoided spoilers, so I guess the next major boss is atop Ashina Castle, but I don't know which way that is.

Oil and fire will do horrible things to the Snake Eyes sisters. Give it a try.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dr Christmas posted:

You won't be able to go down both of the branching paths until you beat the boss on top of Ashina Castle. You should traverse on the rooftops to get into the castle and ascend up to the top going inside and out that way. It's the tallest building in that area so it's hard to miss. You haven't gone up there at all yet?

For Kotaro: You need the Divine Abduction tool. Attacking any of the Senpo monks with it does funky things to them, and Kotaro wants you to use it on him. It's down one of the branching paths so you won't miss it once you start.

The headless and shichimen aren't worth fighting until later unless you want to farm up a healthy stock of divine confetti off the castle samurai.

The snake eyes in the canyon is super weak to poison too, and you're in a position where you can find the Sabimaru, if you haven't already.

Hint: It's in a nook somewhere in Ashina Castle

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

I found the white pinwheel

When I first read this, I thought it was about the Mist Noble, like, in reference to the Dark Souls boss.

That was my immediate thought after fighting it anyway.

Dr Christmas posted:

I guess the next major boss is atop Ashina Castle, but I don't know which way that is.

If you got to the valley, that means you either started climbing up the castle and either jumped into the water or got to the antechamber and jumped down to the ground floor. Right?
Either way, just follow the pink smoke and nightjar ninjas, there's a window you can grapple into, eventually there's an optional, but pretty fun boss in the dojo, and you'll be able to get to the top easily from there.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Okay Owl Daddy is kicking my butt, but I like this fight.
I was pretty impressed the first couple times I tried to stab him and ended up getting mikiri countered and murdered to death.

Have you gotten to stage two yet? 'cause I thought I finally had the fight down and, oh boy.
So many people have dragon rot. :ohdear:

Nuns with Guns posted:

You won't be able to go down both of the branching paths until you beat the boss on top of Ashina Castle.

So I know the gun fort is locked, but what stops you from going to Mibu Village?

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

wyoming posted:

So I know the gun fort is locked, but what stops you from going to Mibu Village?

Nothing, you can go all the way to the shrine as soon as you reach Ashina Castle. Good luck with the boss there though.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

wyoming posted:

When I first read this, I thought it was about the Mist Noble, like, in reference to the Dark Souls boss.

That was my immediate thought after fighting it anyway.

If you got to the valley, that means you either started climbing up the castle and either jumped into the water or got to the antechamber and jumped down to the ground floor. Right?
Either way, just follow the pink smoke and nightjar ninjas, there's a window you can grapple into, eventually there's an optional, but pretty fun boss in the dojo, and you'll be able to get to the top easily from there.

Yep, back how ever long ago it was I first got to the antechamber, I jumped to the ground floor without finding the route through the rafters over the barred door. Then I just went exploring.

Anyway, beat the Ashina Elite guy, and then Genichiro after a couple tries. Not the cleanest run, but I made it.

Edit: Banged my head against the Snakeyes for a while. Good god they hit like a truck. The Sabimaru didn’t help much. So I gave up.

I then went to the temple and found the red and white pinwheel (I guess I still want to give Kotaro the white one?) and the route through the armored soldier. I beat him after a couple of tries, was shocked to beat my first centipede boss on my first try by spamming L1, found the esoteric text, and got to the folding screen monkeys, where I decided to call it a night.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 11, 2019

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Well, thanks to all your advice I got the bull down on my second try tonight - parrying finally worked! I haven't gone down the Drunkard's path yet (I'm streaming the game and had some internet issues) but did go practice some of the hit and run strategies suggested and am feeling at least a little more competent. In a world where I do manage to kill Juzou, should I finish out the Estate before proceeding past the Bull?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fifteen of Many posted:

Well, thanks to all your advice I got the bull down on my second try tonight - parrying finally worked! I haven't gone down the Drunkard's path yet (I'm streaming the game and had some internet issues) but did go practice some of the hit and run strategies suggested and am feeling at least a little more competent. In a world where I do manage to kill Juzou, should I finish out the Estate before proceeding past the Bull?

Juzou is almost the end of the Estate. There’s a couple more rooms and a fairly tricky but worthwhile boss. I say finish it up to the boss, see if you can take her, but if not try the Castle instead.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

wyoming posted:

Nothing is stopping you from going down Mibu, other than the Snake Eyes in the Poison Pool being tough, and the strength boost from Genichiro is helpful on that.

Dr Christmas posted:

Edit: Banged my head against the Snakeyes for a while. Good god they hit like a truck. The Sabimaru didn’t help much. So I gave up.

If you're doing the one on the cliff, you can run past her and around the cliff and down the bridge a small distance to break her aggro. You should be able to creep up behind her for a free deathblow then. The sabimaru can drain enough of her health to make it easier to posture break her for the second death blow after that.

It's funny that the second Snake Eyes was put in the Poison Pool area to clearly signal that kind of cheese wouldn't work a second time though.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
You can jump over their grab, or parry it, or even better use an umbrella to parry it.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fifteen of Many posted:

One of the things I had to learn about Sekiro after playing all of Dark Souls was that Sekiro can actually go toe-to-toe with the enemies he fights. In Dark Souls I was constantly dodging attacks, hanging back to let my stamina go back up, and taking a couple of attacks to make sure I always had the stamina to dodge if I needed to.

In Sekiro, you can deflect almost every attack, and there's no stamina bar. You really do just want to be attacking all the time, deflecting when the enemy attacks, and this only really stops if they run away or do a perilous attack. It took me a while to learn that even an ogre doing a big overhead attack with a multiple-second windup can be deflected, and that I should be doing that instead of dodging or keeping my distance.

Learn the deflect and the Mikiri counter (if you got that yet, not sure exactly when it appears) and that'll carry you a long way.

Question of my own (miniboss spoiler) - The ogre with the big iron bell on a rope - what's the correct counter to him trying to put the bell on you from above? There didn't seem to be one except for "be at a distance"

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Gort posted:

One of the things I had to learn about Sekiro after playing all of Dark Souls was that Sekiro can actually go toe-to-toe with the enemies he fights. In Dark Souls I was constantly dodging attacks, hanging back to let my stamina go back up, and taking a couple of attacks to make sure I always had the stamina to dodge if I needed to.

In Sekiro, you can deflect almost every attack, and there's no stamina bar. You really do just want to be attacking all the time, deflecting when the enemy attacks, and this only really stops if they run away or do a perilous attack. It took me a while to learn that even an ogre doing a big overhead attack with a multiple-second windup can be deflected, and that I should be doing that instead of dodging or keeping my distance.

Learn the deflect and the Mikiri counter (if you got that yet, not sure exactly when it appears) and that'll carry you a long way.

Question of my own (miniboss spoiler) - The ogre with the big iron bell on a rope - what's the correct counter to him trying to put the bell on you from above? There didn't seem to be one except for "be at a distance"

That guy's not a miniboss, just an especially-tanky normal enemy. That attack is a perilous grab and works like any other grab -- the only defense is to not get hit. Either run out of range or sprint/dodge behind him when he starts doing it and it'll whiff.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
No, you shut the gently caress up dad!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdGdGvXvSCU
Here's me finally defeating Owl, just barely. Oh man, what a fight.
Watching back the video, I definitely start panicking when he's close to halfway, and start messing up the dodges, especially with those drat fireworks. So many stupid deaths.

Oh yeah, also this happens.

:c00l:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
One surprise I forgot to mention about my weekend Sekiro sessions: I got two rot essences, the sculptor and the Crow Mob, from a single death. So I guess there’s a random element to it? Or was it because I had previously cured a few guys’ rot?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 12, 2019

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
This game makes my blood boil like none other I've played.

Unrelated, after all the bitching I killed Juzou and went on to kill Lady Butterfly. Lord, she's enraging. I assume I should have been using the snap pea when she summoned the illusions, but I was afraid of only having the one and just attacked them instead. Also my shuriken started missing her on her air kanji at one point and I thought I was going to lose my mind. But I got her, hail Satan, after about an hours of tries. And then...

Kite? Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :rip:

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 12, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I hope butterfly became the fun kind of aggravating for you, at least a little.

And yeah getting good usage out of that lone snap seed on her fight is hopeless.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Can you use a snap seed to make the second ape disappear?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

1redflag posted:

no, and even more disappointing you can't mind control it with the whistle.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
However, you can run away and throw shurikens at it until it dies.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I threw a lot of oil pots and whittled away at it with the flame vent.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Nothing is stopping you from going down Mibu, other than the Snake Eyes in the Poison Pool being tough, and the strength boost from Genichiro is helpful on that.

If you're doing the one on the cliff, you can run past her and around the cliff and down the bridge a small distance to break her aggro. You should be able to creep up behind her for a free deathblow then. The sabimaru can drain enough of her health to make it easier to posture break her for the second death blow after that.

It's funny that the second Snake Eyes was put in the Poison Pool area to clearly signal that kind of cheese wouldn't work a second time though.

You can, however, cheese the second one by leading her into the poison pools, which does work for some reason.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dr Christmas posted:

One surprise I forgot to mention about my weekend Sekiro sessions: I got two rot essences, the sculptor and the Crow Mob, from a single death. So I guess there’s a random element to it? Or was it because I had previously cured a few guys’ rot?

I've gotten three before, so it feels pretty random.

1redflag posted:

I wonder if Malcontent works on it...

I just used fireworks, you can take it out pretty quick while the headless ape screams.

There is a really neat trick with that boss though.
When it does it does the attack where it raises the sword up and kinda falls as it brings it down, while he's down on his knees you can use the spear grab for some extra damage.
It pulls the centipede out of his body. :unsmigghh:

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
I just bought this game a few days ago and it's very good. I tried to play it like DS3 at first and died a lot and got frustrated but then the combat clicked and now I can parry/dodge most stuff and keep the pressure on.
But I still get destroyed by sweeps, every loving time I forget there's a jump button and panic dodge like I'm playing dark souls and get nailed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

The worst for me was when someone would do a sweep, then a thrust a few seconds later. Apparently two is too many buttons for me.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006

No Wave posted:

The worst for me was when someone would do a sweep, then a thrust a few seconds later. Apparently two is too many buttons for me.

This post is sending shivers down my spine, I’m gonna have to do more than one thing at a time??? :cry:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Even after well over 100 hours of play there are only few games I like as much as Sekiro.

I'm glad gaming gods listened and brought Metal Gear Rising to PS4. If only in spirit (No PS Now, you don't count).

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I platted the game a few weeks ago and managed to hold off almost a full two weeks before I broke and picked it back up again. The combat in this game is just too much fun.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

honestly I am extremely good at this game. call me the Great Shinobi

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm making a "complain on the internet, win next try" post about my new best friend Genichiro. gently caress my best friend Genichiro! I've gotten him to phase 2 a few times now but I'm usually short health or a rez and then he does the lightning and I just don't react fast enough and gently caress my best friend Genichiro with a lightning infused sword.

Now hold my katana while i win this next try. I'm streaming and this long suffering fellow in chat is trying his best to be supportive but I can feel his faith in me dwindling.

EDIT: I loving DID IT gently caress YOU YOU gently caress FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 13, 2019

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Fifteen of Many posted:

I'm making a "complain on the internet, win next try" post

Fifteen of Many posted:

EDIT: I loving DID IT gently caress YOU YOU gently caress FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKK

works every time

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Just go this a few days ago. Finally beat the chained ogre. It felt harder than it should have because his grab has a ridiculously far range and wide hit box, the timing on his attacks are weird (like he winds up, stutters, then attacks) so it was hard to parry, and the grapple point on his head seems to have a lower priority than any other grapple point. If his head grapple point was green and right in the center of my screen Wolf would still sometimes grapple the tree or a building.

I probably died around 10-15 times until it clocked I beat him with no damage. I would basically run in, do a few hits, and then run away. Is there a more optimal, efficient strategy?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

In the broad sense not really. He's a bad enemy, by far the worst designed and i'm sorry you had to suffer through him. Nobody really knows why he's even in the game.

Although there are a few Shinobi Prosthetics that will let you get some free hits in to speed it up (one of them makes fire).

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pulcinella posted:

Just go this a few days ago. Finally beat the chained ogre. It felt harder than it should have because his grab has a ridiculously far range and wide hit box, the timing on his attacks are weird (like he winds up, stutters, then attacks) so it was hard to parry, and the grapple point on his head seems to have a lower priority than any other grapple point. If his head grapple point was green and right in the center of my screen Wolf would still sometimes grapple the tree or a building.

I probably died around 10-15 times until it clocked I beat him with no damage. I would basically run in, do a few hits, and then run away. Is there a more optimal, efficient strategy?

No.

The only thing I would add is the (prosthetic chat) flamethrower prosthetic will let you get a whole bunch of free hits in. And unlike other bosses I don't think he has a limit to how often he can be stunned.

imo chained ogre is where the game wants you to learn that certain prosthetics lower the difficulty of a boss. The only problem is you can arrive at the ogre and have completely missed the flamethrower which is what happened to me.

So nope, the best thing you can do is be excessively safe.

edit: spoilered because the guy above me was vague about it and I don't want to spoil a guy's fresh run of the game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
^^^ That limit only applies to particular tools AFAIK.
The upgraded finger whistle that stuns apparitions and the firecrackers when used against beasts have built in limiters, but the flame status seems to stun every time I apply it, as do the firecrackers against normal enemies. The only restriction is that it won't work if the enemy is already burning, and that for non-fire-vulnerable enemies the duration of the stun isn't much longer than the time you spend recovering after a charged flameblast. And of course the number 1 limiter on boss cheese, running out of spirit emblems.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Yeah I got the flamethrower but ran out of the prosthetic ammo over my several deaths and didn’t feel like grinding for cash to buy more. You probably could just cheese the whole fight by buying more spirit tokens at the nearby statue every time you ran out, though.

I will say the first time he grabbed me and threw me over the cliff only for me to save myself by grappling to the branch was pretty cool. It is weird that you can’t mash buttons to break out of a grab because almost every other action game lets you break out of grabs by doing so.

Movement feels great in this game and I love you you can chain grapple points mid-air. I feel like a combination of Spiderman and a feudal version of the Predator.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Out of curiosity what’s the best direction for me to go at this point? I’ve made it to the centipede miniboss in the gunfort but also heard there’s a dungeon I should go through and the tutorial reservoir should be open as well. Is there a “proper” progression order or does it not matter?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It doesn't really matter. Most people will have 3 to 4 boss memories by the time they go through the gun fort centipede man and it's totally doable either way (it's possible to have 5 but it's fairly uncommon on a first playthrough).

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this big ol demon near the end of the game fuckin sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't realize the Sabimaru only really worked on the canyon Snake Eyes, I was doing my test runs in the depths. But I did eventually beat them. They gave me more trouble than any of the bosses I've beaten since the game started clicking. I still have trouble instinctively moving backward when a perilous attack happens, leading me to miss countering sweep attacks or worse, get hit with thrusts.

Beat O-Rin of the Water on my first try and the corrupted monk after a couple.