Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Things looking kinda bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That is such a wildly ridiculous mode of locomotion

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

aphid_licker posted:

That is such a wildly ridiculous mode of locomotion

- Kangaroo, observing a car as it slowly but surely destroys the planet

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
somebody should warn our political leaders about this impending climate apocalypse

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
i'm sure the free market will find a way to save those salmon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

the price of salmon will go up therefore incentivizing people to produce more salmon,

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

if we save those salmon from global warming it will create a moral hazard in which salmon will foolishly continue to try to be alive.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
don't worry we have the technology to farm salmon now

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/salmon-farming-norway-algae-killed-fishing-seafood-council-a8925581.html

oops nvm

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

quote:

The enormous algal blooms, due to recent warm weather, have spread rapidly around Norway’s northern coast, sticking to fishes’ gills and suffocating them.

Wild fish can swim away from the lethal clouds of aquatic organisms, but farmed fish are trapped.

:owned:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Things looking kinda bad?

Not yet.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Admiral Ray posted:

Give them to me I'll save them

*starts slicing bagles and chopping cucumber*

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

vyelkin posted:

in the past the world had no ice caps, we still have one so there's nothing to be alarmed about jeez libtards read a book for once in your life we'll be fine

Yeah well I don't think this time we'll have lush, life-filled tropical forests along shallow, warm seas teeming with life across the Colorado Plateau.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

are we dead yet

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Snow in Australia isn't unheard of RIP salmon bros though

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Cowpocalypse posted:

somebody should warn our political leaders about this impending climate apocalypse

Admiral Ray posted:

This belongs in the Conspiracy thread, but here goes:

If climate trends go they way they are, or likely get worse, then we're probably a year out from a "Cheap!" "Clean!" energy "breakthrough" getting announced.

It will be completely fake, of course. An existing technology with a shiny new package, or something that works juuuust long enough to kick the can a couple years down the road, before failing.

Something to keep the system running, and folks distracted as everything gets worse.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Failson posted:

If climate trends go they way they are, or likely get worse, then we're probably a year out from a "Cheap!" "Clean!" energy "breakthrough" getting announced.

It will be completely fake, of course. An existing technology with a shiny new package, or something that works juuuust long enough to kick the can a couple years down the road, before failing.

Something to keep the system running, and folks distracted as everything gets worse.

those breakthroughs are announced all the time, tho. from battery chemistry to solar cell efficiency improvements to nuclear plant designs. we have fossil fuels and proven reserves will take us all the way through like 2060, even with our current growth.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Failson posted:

my get rich quick scam is to be the theranos of ccs

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
why yes it absolutely stores carbon for a fraction of established energy use and price

no you can't know how, it's proprietary

no it doesn't work when scientists are watching

i am asking for ten billion dollars in startup capital

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Instead of making up fake technologies the governments just silence all the reports as they reach "we gotta all do a revolution or we're ultrafucked" levels, like what they did with the IPCC and then hope nobody notices.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Shima Honnou posted:

Instead of making up fake technologies the governments just silence all the reports as they reach "we gotta all do a revolution or we're ultrafucked" levels, like what they did with the IPCC and then hope nobody notices.

Who is going to notice? Ain't no one going to report on it since there's like 6 billionaires that own all of the news outlets lmao.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Failson posted:

It's gonna be natural gas CCS (again and more frequently), I guarantee it.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That good post about the collapse was shared on r/collapse so a bunch of new people will be reading this thread and crack pinging away

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CODChimera posted:

That good post about the collapse was shared on r/collapse so a bunch of new people will be reading this thread and crack pinging away

im an academic and ive presented at conferences and written published papers and yet im 99% certain that in my entire life that post is the thing i have written that has reached and influenced the most people lmao what am i doing with my life

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

vyelkin posted:

im an academic and ive presented at conferences and written published papers and yet im 99% certain that in my entire life that post is the thing i have written that has reached and influenced the most people lmao what am i doing with my life

become a climate change version of @dril and embrace twitter superstardom

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

vyelkin posted:

People often do not understand how to influence people or the right people for change. It is normal, don't worry.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Shima Honnou posted:

And on the other side of the world but also with weather that isn't supposed to happen

https://twitter.com/stephengrenfel1/status/1160605617838366721

Well there you go, it froze over.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

vyelkin posted:

Yeah, social media's an excellent vector.

I had a 'bulk disseminate left-wing propaganda on reddit' phase and I racked up tens of thousands of points, dozens of gildings, etc. just from copy-pasting poo poo like it was a part-time job.

Social media's an excellent vector.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Don't worry you did good, or at least a hell of a lot more good than the rest of us are doing

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
The best solution is to enact a revenue-neutral carbon tax, increase it until carbon emissions have dropped to acceptable levels, and bypass this bunch of self-righteous, holier-than-thou environmental fascists running around shaming people for eating meat, driving to work, running the air conditioner, buying products from overseas, taking vacations, etc.

Not serious, just a post I found on another message board.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Power_of_the_glory posted:

The best solution is to enact a revenue-neutral carbon tax, increase it until carbon emissions have dropped to acceptable levels, and bypass this bunch of self-righteous, holier-than-thou environmental fascists running around shaming people for eating meat, driving to work, running the air conditioner, buying products from overseas, taking vacations, etc.

Not serious, just a post I found on another message board.

that sounds... like a plan?

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

zegermans posted:

Snow in Australia isn't unheard of RIP salmon bros though

'Snow in Australia' is massively understating what's been happening here, we had a single cold weather system covering 4 states.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ubachung posted:

'Snow in Australia' is massively understating what's been happening here, we had a single cold weather system covering 4 states.

(Our second-smallest state is the same size as the UK and the next one up is bigger than France...)
And still no rain for a huge slice of the country. The average rainfall in my bit of NSW won't look too bad; the problem is, it all comes in a handful of ginormous storms rather than a nice steady soak over several weeks...
This is the reality of climate change I guess: it's just a long, painful doom-spiral of people getting poorer and sadder and angrier and more desperate.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
you might think a country like australia is unprepared for severe winters with snow becoming commonplace, but what's even better is we're stupidly unprepared for severe summers also! every year the decrepit public transport networks of sydney are inevitably crippled, rails bend roads melt and transformers explode as nobody gave thought to making them suitable to endure the climates we predictably and verifiably have on the regular already. entirely predictable and manageable droughts happen across the every couple of years with farmers begging the government to bail them out having done nothing previously to make farming their arid plot of bushland sustainable, which is entirely doable as the stories of people who have done just that always make an appearance in the dirt farmer sob story news cycle. instead of laughing at idiots and letting their unsustainable bullshit fail, or mandating water management/assessment on properties and drought preparedness plans as a precondition of bailout funds we just shovel billions into ARE FARMERS to let them do it all again next unusually dry season. bushfires we do actually prepare for with backburning and whatnot but turns out "preparing" for inferno hellscapes fuelled by trees that that naturally secrete flammable oil and vapour is kind of cross your fingers but poo poo's gonna burn anyway. i cant wait to burn/freeze (why not both at once) in my extremely dumb hellcountry.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Over here in NZ it feels like summer was hotter than usual and the current winter has been really colder and wetter but that might just be the brain worms doing their thing

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

CODChimera posted:

Over here in NZ it feels like summer was hotter than usual and the current winter has been really colder and wetter but that might just be the brain worms doing their thing

My friend, summer being hotter than usual has been going on all over the world for the past 6 years straight.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Shima Honnou posted:

And on the other side of the world but also with weather that isn't supposed to happen

https://twitter.com/stephengrenfel1/status/1160605617838366721

wow. roos in the snow. its really beautiful in a strange way. anyway are they being farmed for meat?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Kangaroos are more intelligent than you'd think, they erect those fences to try to keep humans out.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Ayn Randi posted:

you might think a country like australia is unprepared for severe winters with snow becoming commonplace, but what's even better is we're stupidly unprepared for severe summers also! every year the decrepit public transport networks of sydney are inevitably crippled, rails bend roads melt and transformers explode as nobody gave thought to making them suitable to endure the climates we predictably and verifiably have on the regular already. entirely predictable and manageable droughts happen across the every couple of years with farmers begging the government to bail them out having done nothing previously to make farming their arid plot of bushland sustainable, which is entirely doable as the stories of people who have done just that always make an appearance in the dirt farmer sob story news cycle. instead of laughing at idiots and letting their unsustainable bullshit fail, or mandating water management/assessment on properties and drought preparedness plans as a precondition of bailout funds we just shovel billions into ARE FARMERS to let them do it all again next unusually dry season. bushfires we do actually prepare for with backburning and whatnot but turns out "preparing" for inferno hellscapes fuelled by trees that that naturally secrete flammable oil and vapour is kind of cross your fingers but poo poo's gonna burn anyway. i cant wait to burn/freeze (why not both at once) in my extremely dumb hellcountry.

My fiancee and I somehow ended up getting into Masterchef Australia and this past season they had an episode that featured some of the drought relief for farmers. They were trucking in endless bales of hay and feed for the livestock in the region. I couldn't help but wonder how many years in a row people will be willing to do something like that before accepting the new reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I'm the minute spot of "lowest rain on record" centred exactly over Eromanga, pop. 400.

Telephones posted:

wow. roos in the snow. its really beautiful in a strange way. anyway are they being farmed for meat?

Farming them is basically impossible in that they have zero herding instincts, can jump really high, and have a deeply weird reproductive cycle. And wild ones are host to all sorts of interesting parasites.
But I agree, roos in the snow is beautiful, in a strange sort of way.