Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

He didn't break his neck, he just hyper-extended it.

If we're pretending this is all part of putting together a coherent match, I imagine it's a way to prevent him from wiggling out of the mandible claw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
So I have monday off and stayed up late yesterday to watch SS, here in Europe the main show started at 1am for me.

It wasn't awful, just so mediocre in almost every respect with few good elements. SummerSlam is their second biggest show of the year and all they could do was cobble together an extended version of a decent RAW episode. With Seth we once again have a mediocre champ for a mediocre product without any starpower or highlights.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I hadn't watched WWE since WM. I liked Goldberg, Owens, the Fiend and Seth vs. Brock. Trish vs. Charlotte was okay. Becky vs Natalya was unwatchable cause of streaming issues. I paused the stream for about 30 seconds which seemed to fix it.

Everything else felt so slow. I was barely able to keep my eyes open during Kofi vs Orton. And not doing anything with the Roman storyline was bizarre.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Astro7x posted:

But drat do I not just miss paying money for something and just sitting down and watching the whole thing live and being able to discuss it with people in real time. And then telling people "don't interrupt me, I just paid $50 for this PPV"

my recommendation would be to pretend that you don't have a network for streaming later on, and have to watch everything live. tell people "don't interrupt me, i paid 50 dollars for this show" similar to what you used to do but lie about the price. That way everything is exactly the same but you don't have to pay 50 dollars in order to force yourself into the same situation

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

bradzilla posted:

You're not required to watch every minute of WWE shows, hth

...I just explained how I skipped over the preshow, entrances, recap videos, and ads for other WWE prorgramming and watched just what I wanted to of SummerSlam in 2 1/2 hours instead of 5 1/2. I literally skipped 55% of the show.

Cavauro posted:

my recommendation would be to pretend that you don't have a network for streaming later on, and have to watch everything live. tell people "don't interrupt me, i paid 50 dollars for this show" similar to what you used to do but lie about the price. That way everything is exactly the same but you don't have to pay 50 dollars in order to force yourself into the same situation

Price aside, it was nice when the whole thing was a condensed 2 hr 45 minute show on a PPV night and it was all good. Not 6 hours of bloat you need to fast forward through.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my recommendation would be to pretend that you don't have a network

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
One of the KPIs that WWE reports to investors is number of hours of content consumed on the network.

And with weekly NXT likely leaving, expect the average PPV length to become even longer to make up the difference

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Remember when the brand split started and the SD PPVs were like 2.5 hours long? That was perfect.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Holy poo poo that new Wyatt theme sucks rear end

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DeepDickPizza posted:

they ruined broken out in love :smith:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

DeepDickPizza posted:

you mean THE FIEND?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DeepDickPizza posted:

new wyatt, same as the old wyatt

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yo realtalk this Kofi doc is heartwarming AF and even if you're down on WWE right now, if you have a Network sub still I encourage you to watch it. It's absolutely fantastic.

Haven't seen it yet but finally caught the Untold doc with Team Hell No, my god was that one fantastic. I miss Bryan, Kane & Dr. Shelby :allears:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Two things:
1)The Fiend should go into the next ppv with a lantern made out of FINN'S head.

2)The Fiend should fight Goldberg. Just keep standing up from Spears until Goldberg is too exhausted to continue. (Shouldn't take long) Claw, pin, gg. THAT should be his third (fourth?) and final retirement. Putting over an unstoppable monster.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

Two things:
1)The Fiend should go into the next ppv with a lantern made out of FINN'S head.

2)The Fiend should fight Goldberg. Just keep standing up from Spears until Goldberg is too exhausted to continue. (Shouldn't take long) Claw, pin, gg. THAT should be his third (fourth?) and final retirement. Putting over an unstoppable monster.
What can the feind do against the man who just chumped dolph ziggler

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

forgot who posted this but I agree Bray Wyatt should just do Firefly Funhouse stuff and be kept off TV matches, and only show up as The Fiend on PPVs. I think that might be the only thing that will help build him up until he can get his hands on a titleholder

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

forgot who posted this but I agree Bray Wyatt should just do Firefly Funhouse stuff and be kept off TV matches, and only show up as The Fiend on PPVs. I think that might be the only thing that will help build him up until he can get his hands on a titleholder

This, but if they wamt to put him in the picture for a main title they should also feed him demon balor at survival series

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DLC Inc posted:

The literal only thing interesting me about WWE product right now is if Firefly Funhouse Bray will wrestle too.

I'd like it if he did, personally. I imagine him just being more interested in getting his opponent to try their hardest than winning matches and congratulating everyone afterwards, win or lose, because good sportsmanship is important.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Win streak as THE FIEND. Losing streak as Firefly Funhouse Bray.

Look into your hearts, you all know this to be true.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Now that I've sobered up a bit I want to draw focus to the storytelling aspects of the ziggler-goldberg fight last night.

Specifically; it didn't have any whatsoever. It was an entirely one sided affair where neither goldberg bettered himself nor did ziggler learn any form of lesson. From a character arc perspective Ziggler failed to achieve any kind of growth from this event and it seems to have entirely left him unchanged when you take a look at the characters underlying philosophy. Furthermore when analyzed from the perspective of 'what the gently caress is dolph thinking here' we really have no way of even guessing what precisely dolph was hoping to happen by repeatedly antagonizing goldberg. Maybe he was hoping there was an off chance that Goldberg would be too tired or find it too pitiful or perhaps even that he would see Ziggler as so beneath his time that he would fail to respond to the jeering for a second and third beating? Then the audience might be fooled into thinking Goldberg was somehow afraid to come back out and fight this guy he had already come out and fought mere minutes beforehand? I don't really know I mean heels can be delusional about what the audience is going to think and when they are going to think it but surely that stretches credibility.

From an audience perspective there was never any doubt that goldberg could beat up ziggler the first time and then the ensuing two beatings were also completely without note because once a man is beaten and unable to stand it would be a loving miracle if someone the size of goldberg, even in his later years, couldn't kick the poo poo out of a defenseless opponent. From the perspective of the old storytelling standby the rule of threes the expectation would be that (despite all logic to the contrary) that Dolph would spring some kind of trap and successfully get the better of goldberg with the understanding that he couldn't do it during the match because of disqualification rules and obviously Ziggler had to put his physical well being on the line even after being beaten to the point of not being able to rise to his feet so that he could bait goldberg because he left too early... or something. But obviously that didn't happen.

As an aside if we weren't talking about WWE I might suggest such a storyline where Ziggler in that moment of his third asswhuppin' finds a new determination he never had before and goes from a chickenshit heel to a dirtiest player in the game type heel but the problem is that WWE puts on that exact storyline with no payoff approximately every four months; last time I can recall I think Fandango got an approximately one match push before being shunted into the fashion police but hell if I can remember. Maybe Del Rio got that story spot too? I might be blurring some of this together.

In conclusion Dolph isn't a bad wrestler because he is terrible and unfunny (he is) and he isn't a bad wrestler because he is a third rate shawn micheals ripoff (he is) really he is a bad wrestler because his underlying motivations are completely incomprehensible to the audience and he hasn't developed a new thought to add to his repertoire in basically a loving decade. He's not just boring he gives off the presentation that you would be significantly better off if you ignored him when he was talking because you already know how he feels and how he feels already doesn't make any god damned sense to anyone; not even to himself when you give him the most maximum possible benefit of the doubt.

Having written all of these words I would now be most pleased if Dolph lost a buried alive match and then quit wrestling forever so I don't have to write them again in ten years.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
The Goldberg-Ziggler post-match clowning was pure house show shenanigans and I'm honestly surprised they aired all of it.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I didn't watch Summerslam last night, but I saw this in my Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/LordBalvin/status/1160734407789072385

Bray Wyatt snaps people's necks now?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Grant DaNasty posted:

I didn't watch Summerslam last night, but I saw this in my Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/LordBalvin/status/1160734407789072385

Bray Wyatt snaps people's necks now?

In the same sense that Pete Dunne "breaks" fingers, yes.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

In the same sense that Pete Dunne "breaks" fingers, yes.

Well I hope it's his finisher. A Sister Abigail would be anticlimatic after seeing a guy get his neck broke.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It wasn't his finisher, just a weird transitional move.

edit: but if it was I'll claim my brain turned to mush due to ziggleradiation exposure

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Grant DaNasty posted:

Well I hope it's his finisher. A Sister Abigail would be anticlimatic after seeing a guy get his neck broke.

It is the setup for his finisher which is the mandible claw.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
yeah, breaking his opponents neck is just a transitional move, his finisher is sticking his fingers in his opponents mouth

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Drew McIntyre posted:

yeah, breaking his opponents neck is just a transitional move, his finisher is sticking his fingers in his opponents mouth

Give that finisher to Ricochet. The neck snap should be Bray's finisher.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm happy he doesn't just still use the Sister Abigail, it's honestly more than I expected.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a powerful move. the fiend snaps your neck over and over and it kinda hurts but you don't die and you still have to keep on working for wwe forever

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
The new bray theme song is cool and that lantern rules. The mask is still kind of lame and the pants are stupid. He also got the biggest pop of the night and his entrance got a holy poo poo. Wwe actually got someone over.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

The_Rob posted:

The new bray theme song is cool and that lantern rules. The mask is still kind of lame and the pants are stupid. He also got the biggest pop of the night and his entrance got a holy poo poo. Wwe actually got someone over.

Him covering up his face is a large part of selling the fiend as something different to the old Bray Wyatt and a big reason why it has worked so far.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

https://twitter.com/cagesideseats/status/1161015394871775232

good news everyone raw is saved

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

that'll put butts in seats

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when wwf used to use old washed up wrestlers from the past in minor roles in the 90s they would be guys who had last wrestled within the previous 5-10 years. steve austin's last match is almost up to 16 now. the nostalgia possibilities have almost entirely stopped and they're going to bring back late 90s and early 2000s acts over and over until they are all dead and every wrestler who was ever famous is dead and all the current names are like "Kyle from WWE"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bring back the baby that was a hand

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Low Desert Punk posted:

that'll put butts in seats

At least one because you don't really Skype while standing.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
that new bray song loving blows

the video of his entrance i saw on youtube has a giant ORDER THE NETWORK! ad that totally hides the head-lantern

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Namtab posted:

What can the feind do against the man who just chumped dolph ziggler

One up him. Squash Ziggler next. Make a lantern of his head, redebut Ziggler as a masked wrestler who does not talk and bumps like hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

One up him. Squash Ziggler next. Make a lantern of his head, redebut Ziggler as a masked wrestler who does not talk and bumps like hell.

So, Golga?