Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just got to the plane scene in Episode 4, loving brutal. This show rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Neat, for those of us who collect stuff, looks like QMX might be getting the license for The Boys.

Can't wait to see what they can pull off with a Homelander with some glowing eyes, or an A Train with "explody Robin" base.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Just Chamber posted:

The show went from the patriotic "Delta Force" ending to some real black humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTb9EdYZDg

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Just Chamber posted:

All Homelander had to do was not laser the poo poo out of the cockpit. Even with dead pilots they probably could have figured something out. Homelander just doesn't give a poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Bohemian Nights posted:

I would argue that the editor with blunt weapon was largely there for Punisher Max as well, one of the reasons why it's generally so good- there's a limit to how vile you can get when you're working with a marvel property, even an xr-rated one.
The first thing from Punisher MAX that immediately comes to mind as totally cringeworthy: that scene where he takes out a black gang singlehandedly, and quips "They put the sights on the top for a reason" before executing the last one. Not bad in a vacuum, but it looks bad now that the Punisher logo has been coopted by white supremacists.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Show is great so far (up to ep 5) but Karl Urban's accent is so bad, he just cant bury that Kiwi accent. I get he's probably English in the comic but they should have realized it wasn't working and dumped that angle, it isn't exactly important and his American accents are usually pretty good.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sanguinary posted:

I would be shocked if we don't see her start to speak in season 2. They already gave Kimiko a name so she's not just "the Female", and they had her talk through Mesmer. I expect part of her healing will include her talking to Frenchie.

In the comic she speaks exactly twice. I'd expect them to stick to that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They could have just had him be a Kiwi or Australian, it didn't really matter in the show and it doesn't seem likely they are gonna do the Falklands stuff. I did get a little chuckle out of the love that accent line from Homelander since Antony Starr is also a Kiwi.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 12, 2019

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Rubellavator posted:

All Homelander had to do was not laser the poo poo out of the cockpit. Even with dead pilots they probably could have figured something out. Homelander just doesn't give a poo poo.

I think it is part "who cares, Vought will make it go away" and part "these superpowered assholes have zero training in crisis management" Homelander can pinpoint his laser eyes to melt a gun in some dude's hands, it was shown in episode 1 but these crime scenes are planned out by Vought, so Homelander knows to play hero when one of the dudes will start firing at him and the melting gun will earn him points with the public.

In the airplane, in a real life threatening scenario, he panics when the dude shoots the remaining pilot so he fires at full-blast to stop it, instead of relying on what little training he has, which is meant for a mostly controlled environment. Remember that Homelander is also a Vought man, so he wants to get them the defense contracts, which was more probable to happen if it was shown that they could handle a crisis, instead of loving it up.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rubellavator posted:

I like that part of his character. He loving loves eye lazering. Its almost the exact opposite of Superman where he forgets he has them half the time and opts for punch manning.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Superman doesn't use his eye lasers because I'd imagine it's a question of modulation. It's like the #1 rule of shooting - you're not just shooting at your target, you're inadvertently shooting at everything *behind* your target as well.

In Flashpoint the weakened prisoner Superman just ~finds out~ he has eye lasers and instantly vaporizes an entire Spec Ops company.

He can also "scatter" them for wide angle effect.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 12, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

I like that part of his character. He loving loves eye lazering. Its almost the exact opposite of Superman where he forgets he has them half the time and opts for punch manning.

Yeah, it's loving great characterization. He values human life so little he would literally just as soon kill someone as look at them.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004
Eye beams. Rarely used to burn holes. Mostly he turns them on at a point next to his target, then he draws his gaze across the target.

Super Fruit Ninja, essentially.

It's also DGAF as hell as he couldn't care less what the beams do beyond taking out his intended target.

I'm not sure, but did he use his heat vision in any non-lethal way, like to take out a wall?

If he only used it to kill, then, that makes it a favorite for that type of thing. Twisted.

End of day, Homelander exemplifies the twisted, diabolical manner of those that seize power. The Boys as an allegory to the rise of the Tea Party when it hit the national stage. Homelander as the Trump stand-in.

I may be reaching on that last one...

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 12, 2019

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
He did laser the legs off a terrorist at one point but I'm pretty sure he finished him off after.

And yeah, dude loves his laser vision. Aside from flight and a few examples of his super strength he's basically an rear end in a top hat Cyclops.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

El Padrino posted:

I think it is part "who cares, Vought will make it go away" and part "these superpowered assholes have zero training in crisis management" Homelander can pinpoint his laser eyes to melt a gun in some dude's hands, it was shown in episode 1 but these crime scenes are planned out by Vought, so Homelander knows to play hero when one of the dudes will start firing at him and the melting gun will earn him points with the public.

In the airplane, in a real life threatening scenario, he panics when the dude shoots the remaining pilot so he fires at full-blast to stop it, instead of relying on what little training he has, which is meant for a mostly controlled environment. Remember that Homelander is also a Vought man, so he wants to get them the defense contracts, which was more probable to happen if it was shown that they could handle a crisis, instead of loving it up.

in the comic the plane thing happens on 9/11 and yeah the supes all gently caress it up since they have no training (and actually make 9/11 worse than it was in real life).

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I had wondered if the eye laser control thing was an oversight and the writers had simply forgotten that Homelander was capable of fine control, but when he kills Stillwell he has enough control to just burn out her eyeballs/brain without penetrating the back of the skull. He really DGAF on the plane.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

He did laser the legs off a terrorist at one point but I'm pretty sure he finished him off after.

And yeah, dude loves his laser vision. Aside from flight and a few examples of his super strength he's basically an rear end in a top hat Cyclops.

You mean basically Cyclops.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Yeah that wasn’t on purpose, he didn’t even interrogate him. It just wasn’t a kill shot and he takes care of that pretty quick.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR766FtEhv0

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
So I finally finished this show and caught up with this thread, I enjoyed it but it was weird going into it with all this hype about how it was a super subversive and progressive work of anti-capitalism because in a lot of ways the show is incredibly conservative and considering how it's more than happy to go hog wild with its violence and language it makes the parts where it pulled it punches stand out that much more.

-Everything about Kimiko made me roll my eyes so hard they just about fell out of my skull. A mute asian kung-fu master who is instantly demure and submissive to a white guy who is nice to her is like every negative stereotype imaginable for this character and seeing posters who criticize people like Joss Whedon for having super-capable kung fu women in his shows praise a show that has an even worse version of that trope makes me feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

-An extension of that is the complete lack of non-white characters that aren't stereotypes, especially given how few of them there are to begin with. People earlier were trying to excuse the middle eastern super being a literal suicide bomber on the grounds that it was a stereotype on purpose because it was created for marketing purposes to sell a forever war but the only black super we see being A-Train who is coded as an arrogant pro athelete and whose super power is literally being fleet-footed makes that a little harder to swallow. And even if you accept that everyone on the Vaught side is a stereotype because it's a critique of corporate media, why couldn't they have any of the other characters be more diverse? Frenchy could have been from french polynesia and the character would be exactly the same, the lack of representation is really striking in a show that so many people are propping up like this.

-The show leans really hard on the trope of deviant sex being shorthand for evil or untrustworthiness. The only time we see non-cishet relationships is to show off how debauched and evil the supers at the club in the first ep are, Homelander having a mommy kink is sub-Freudian in how it uses sexuality as shorthand for personal failings and weaknesses and pathology, Queen Maeve being bisexual is coded as her being unreliable and dishonest with herself and others, as other people have mentioned the transforming super is used as some weird gay/trans panic bit, and of course there's the rear end-eating scene literally killing a man. The way it uses nudity feels like a subset of that as well, they're totally OK using Translucent's dick a punchline but otherwise there's almost no male nudity despite there being several scenes of female nudity.

-The megachurch episode felt like it was really pulling its punches and handling the issue with kid gloves out of fear of offending or alienating mainstream audiences. They didn't have the balls to actually have any of the characters be atheists or even question the existence of God, they just have some wishy-washy "god wants us to love everyone, maaaan" platitudes in between the usual tired gotchas about the bible saying you can't eat shrimp that network television and newspaper columnists were running into the ground twenty years ago. It feels downright cowardly and definitely clashes with the show's image as some edgy and provocative work, especially given how gleefully Amazon was trumpeting evangelical backlash to Good Omens just a few weeks ago.

-The Deep being a bunch of tired Gen X-er jokes about how Aqua Man is lame because his superpower is talking to fish felt totally dated and out of place considering that the rest of The Seven were updated to match the more modern interpretations of Justice League characters. It's almost as outdated as having a character that's a spoof of how campy Adam West Batman is, and in a show that's supposed to be all about sticking it to modern superhero adaptations it felt really out of touch. You could have the character be a Jason Momoa superhunk to match with Queen Maeve and Homelander being obviously based on the modern Wonder Woman and Superman and lose absolutely nothing about the character or his ark so it's just a really baffling decision overall.

Also, as one of the five or so people to ever watch the 2015 Playstation exclusive Sharlto Copley vehicle Powers I was kind of amused that this is basically the exact same show. I guess if you're doing a modern deconstruction of superhero media focusing on marketing and performance-enhancing drugs are the two most obvious plot points but still as someone who doesn't read comic books it was funny to me that two disparate works on the same topic hit the same notes so closely. Though it was a much weaker show outside of the delicious cheese of Eddie Izzard as a Hannibal-style cannibal superhero and Michael Madsen in an extremely unconvincing muscle suit as their version of Superman.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sleeveless posted:

-The megachurch episode felt like it was really pulling its punches and handling the issue with kid gloves out of fear of offending or alienating mainstream audiences. They didn't have the balls to actually have any of the characters be atheists or even question the existence of God, they just have some wishy-washy "god wants us to love everyone, maaaan" platitudes in between the usual tired gotchas about the bible saying you can't eat shrimp that network television and newspaper columnists were running into the ground twenty years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkWfosoeN6c

:hmmyes: :thunk:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kimiko doesn't use kung fu and Frenchie isn't white.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aphrodite posted:

If these other people are disagreeing with his music take that's one thing, but they seem to be arguing that Garth Ennis isn't just Mark Millar.

I gotta say I've read all of Ennis major works and all of Millar's major releases and I think it's not fair to Ennis. Credit where it's due, he is genuinely clever in a way that Millar isn't. MIllar is just gonna front load this story at you and its gonna be shlocky with a lotta tits and guns and stuff but Ennis has, like, stuff going on in the background while all the boobs are exploding or whatever

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The tortured antihero screaming at god for taking his wife away from him is a trope that a) sucks b) was boring a decade ago when House MD was doing it c) is dependent on believing that god exists.

I'm sorry your edgy comic book superhero show is still less provocative than your average r/atheism post.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

These sure are a lot of hot takes.

-Kamiko is mute(implied to be because of the hosed up compound V experimentation), but she's not a kung fu master. She fights more like a feral animal. She isn't also instantly demure and submissive to "the white guy" unless you count trying to kill him a few times submissive.
-In the comics A-Train was white, but I guess that didn't fit with the hidden agenda of the showrunners so they recast him as a black person :rolleyes:
-Ezekiel being anti gay while himself being gay was more about him being a complete hypocrite and piece of poo poo person, which is why Butcher pointed it out to Hughie. What does Maeve being bisexual have to do with her being damaged? Good job pointing out the gay blackmail on the Oklahoma Senator which was the point. The only male nudity I remember was Translucent in the bathroom and the female nudity was brief during the club scene so :shrug:
-efb with the church take.
-Way to completely miss the point with The Deep

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The little girl from Barry could totally take Kimiko

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Sleeveless posted:

So I finally finished this show and caught up with this thread, I enjoyed it but it was weird going into it with all this hype about how it was a super subversive and progressive work of anti-capitalism because in a lot of ways the show is incredibly conservative and considering how it's more than happy to go hog wild with its violence and language it makes the parts where it pulled it punches stand out that much more.

-Kimiko
-lack of non-white characters that aren't stereotypes

These criticisms are better pointed at Garth Ennis as they are carried over into the show pretty much unchanged. However this:

Sleeveless posted:

-The Deep being a bunch of tired Gen X-er jokes about how Aqua Man is lame because his superpower is talking to fish felt totally dated and out of place considering that the rest of The Seven were updated to match the more modern interpretations of Justice League characters. It's almost as outdated as having a character that's a spoof of how campy Adam West Batman is, and in a show that's supposed to be all about sticking it to modern superhero adaptations it felt really out of touch. You could have the character be a Jason Momoa superhunk to match with Queen Maeve and Homelander being obviously based on the modern Wonder Woman and Superman and lose absolutely nothing about the character or his ark so it's just a really baffling decision overall.

.. is off-base. They did modernise The Deep for the show, in the comics he's diving bell helmeted and over-serious. I think they went for supertwink rather than superhunk though. Come to think of it it might have been a funny gag to have cast Adrian Grenier in the role.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Some of the Sheep posted:

These criticisms are better pointed at Garth Ennis as they are carried over into the show pretty much unchanged.
I don't really think its fair to make this argument with how heavily adapted everything else is, its clear they could have changed this had they wanted to.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Bust Rodd posted:

I gotta say I've read all of Ennis major works and all of Millar's major releases and I think it's not fair to Ennis. Credit where it's due, he is genuinely clever in a way that Millar isn't. MIllar is just gonna front load this story at you and its gonna be shlocky with a lotta tits and guns and stuff but Ennis has, like, stuff going on in the background while all the boobs are exploding or whatever

Millar of "Evil-Batman impregnates Not-Barbara-Gordon with her gay brother's sperm and then rigged her uterus to explode should an abortion be attempted" renown. Dude has out-Ennised Ennis without any of the accompanying writing panache.

Also, even with very little screen time I would say they're doing OK with developing Kimiko through action and body language, her bathroom scene is literally "abused and neglected woman rediscovering her humanity and sense of worth through makeup and grooming" and comes with a host of obviously deserving of critical baggage but it also still works on the level it was supposed to for the audience I guess.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 13, 2019

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

-In the comics A-Train was white, but I guess that didn't fit with the hidden agenda of the showrunners so they recast him as a black person :rolleyes:

So they actually went out of their way to make the only black character be a murderous drug addict who radicalizes a white guy into becoming a terrorist by killing his girlfriend. OK when you put it like that it's actually super cool and woke that A-Train is black.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I kind of assumed that Maeve was a lesbian forced back into the closet for PR purposes. In that sense it's "dishonest" but that seems like less of a character flaw and more a victim of circumstances.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mother's Milk is black.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sleeveless posted:

So they actually went out of their way to make the only black character be a murderous drug addict who radicalizes a white guy into becoming a terrorist by killing his girlfriend. OK when you put it like that it's actually super cool and woke that A-Train is black.

Aphrodite posted:

Mother's Milk is black.

Also the CEO of Vought International that seems to make even Homelander a little bit wary.

Straight White Shark posted:

I kind of assumed that Maeve was a lesbian forced back into the closet for PR purposes. In that sense it's "dishonest" but that seems like less of a character flaw and more a victim of circumstances.

:same: Probably just another one of the things that Vought did that lead to her becoming jaded and worn down.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

-The show leans really hard on the trope of deviant sex being shorthand for evil or untrustworthiness. The only time we see non-cishet relationships is to show off how debauched and evil the supers at the club in the first ep are, Homelander having a mommy kink is sub-Freudian in how it uses sexuality as shorthand for personal failings and weaknesses and pathology, Queen Maeve being bisexual is coded as her being unreliable and dishonest with herself and others, as other people have mentioned the transforming super is used as some weird gay/trans panic bit, and of course there's the rear end-eating scene literally killing a man. The way it uses nudity feels like a subset of that as well, they're totally OK using Translucent's dick a punchline but otherwise there's almost no male nudity despite there being several scenes of female nudity.

-The megachurch episode felt like it was really pulling its punches and handling the issue with kid gloves out of fear of offending or alienating mainstream audiences. They didn't have the balls to actually have any of the characters be atheists or even question the existence of God, they just have some wishy-washy "god wants us to love everyone, maaaan" platitudes in between the usual tired gotchas about the bible saying you can't eat shrimp that network television and newspaper columnists were running into the ground twenty years ago. It feels downright cowardly and definitely clashes with the show's image as some edgy and provocative work, especially given how gleefully Amazon was trumpeting evangelical backlash to Good Omens just a few weeks ago.

Is Maeve bisexual? I was under the impression she was just gay and that her referenced relationship with Homelander was more out of fear or a publicity thing forced on her by Vought. It makes the scenes where he talked about it way creepier.

Also the religious right is definitely pissed about the show and I wouldn’t be surprised if gets its own petition:
https://twitter.com/sethrogen/status/1158805073373233152?s=21

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, even though I'm a bi person always keen for representation I read her as back-in-the-closet lesbian, because there's no way Homelander x Maeve wasn't something Vought cooked up for the Likes.

tbh I'm a little more concerned about what "Queen Maeve being bisexual is coded as her being unreliable and dishonest with herself and others" means re: Sleeveless's thoughts on bisexuals

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sleeveless posted:

So you're pretty much just out looking for offense, I guess? You should write one more Amazon review about the show.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Millar of "Evil-Batman impregnates Not-Barbara-Gordon with her gay brother's sperm and then rigged her uterus to explode should an abortion be attempted" renown.

Hunh?

Where is this?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah that wasn’t on purpose, he didn’t even interrogate him. It just wasn’t a kill shot and he takes care of that pretty quick.

Hell, he might've lasered that guy at the knees on purpose so he could have the tactile pleasure of crushing at least one person to death manually.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh right. He crushed the guys head very slowly :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

Sleeveless posted:

Atrain always murders Robin and thus always "radicalizes" Hughie or whatever you mean.

He starts using V as an adult (in case you missed it, all the supes got pumped full of V as babies to develop their powers) 'cause he's aging and not the Fastest Man Alive on his own, and he fears losing the status and wealth that comes with being in the Seven. He knows the compound will give him the extra edge needed to stay on top, even if it fucks him up severely.

He also murders his girlfriend cause the alternative was getting eye-lasered. All the supes fear the Homelander