Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Wound up seeing Scary Stories twice with different friends over the weekend, and I honestly quite liked it! Admittedly growing up with the books it's based on means I probably was willing to overlook its faults so long as it got the monsters right. And yeah, it got them spot on and honestly added more to them in my opinion with the creative restraint that a PG-13 rating brings. The gruesome scarecrow transformation sequence and the Pale Lady's hug of questionable demise certainly come to mind as some of the more clever spins on "deaths" that the film had. My main complaints are the kind of weak framing narrative which just felt a little TOO generic (even though the book is certainly built on age-old narratives, it was still kind of a boring story to base the majority of the runtime around), and the Jangly Man monster, who was fine and all but also felt more by-the-numbers than the other monsters that had their designs lifted directly from the artwork of the book. Jangles felt way more like the typical modern movie monster you'd find in the Conjuring or something, and felt like wasted potential since he had the most screentime for some reason. Would have much preferred them to use another one of the classic designs. Nonetheless, I'm certain this will be one of my go-to Halloween season movies thanks to the imagery alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Suggestions for something with good ol' fashioned ghouls? I'm thinking the sort of ghastly creeps you'd find in EC Comics, bonus for graveyards, extra bonus for lots of color and style. Ideally from the 50s-70s, but none of the actual EC Comics adaptations as I've seen those.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Suggestions for something with good ol' fashioned ghouls? I'm thinking the sort of ghastly creeps you'd find in EC Comics, bonus for graveyards, extra bonus for lots of color and style. Ideally from the 50s-70s, but none of the actual EC Comics adaptations as I've seen those.

Hause?

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j91_B0D2xIQ

Is there a better melting man scene than this? Love those practical melting effects more and more.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BisonDollah posted:

Is there a better melting man scene than this? Love those practical melting effects more and more.

I dunno, Paul's death in Blob '88 is definitely up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqT1DFCSOs

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And by all indications The Hunt is also about how capitalism kills, to the point that it's kinda boringly obvious: the rich villains justify the oppression of the poor on the basis that they're too 'toxic' or whatever. The basic premise of the film (from the director of Compliance, mind) is a satire of how liberals are totally blind to issues of class.

Like, it's hardly subtle if the film actually is about billionaires enslaving/killing minimum-wage workers under the pretense that - since they're racist or anti-choice or whatever - it's a form of humanitarian intervention.

Having read the script for this, I think you’re kind of right, but the movie gets too hung up on toxic social media usage and “cancel culture” to function as an effective satire of liberals being blind to issues of class. It felt like Damon Lindelof should have written a solid 22 minute South Park episode instead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Watched it too recently! But that'd be perfect. Went with The Plague of the Zombies instead, been putting that off for ages.

Also, just saw that Ed Wood's infamous nudie cutie Orgy of the Dead is up on byNWR for streaming.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

BisonDollah posted:

Robocop and Raiders scarcely need mentioning. Is it cheating to say Judge Doom?

E: actual horror contender - Fright Night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxrQd6Sn5PA

The concept is maybe a little more ambitious than the tech could handle at the time but still, the combinations of green goo, putrefying flesh and desiccated powder are wicked gnarly.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 13, 2019

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
lol one of the video links that popped up after the Street Trash clip is a playlist of melting deaths

Edit: oddly enough it does not have the earlier melt scene from Street Trash where a guy ends up flushing himself down a toilet; that one’s pretty iconic I feel like

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I srsly wonder at what point Scary Stories decided on the frame, the whole 60s conceit makes sense for their half-committed-to metaphor of Seeing Your Name Appear in Writing and Knowing You'll Vanish = Being Drafted into The Vietnam War, which basically reaches its peak w/ the long Dean Norris phone convo & the whole jail sequence.
But the rest of the movie feels like it'd rather just ignore it beyond occasionally remembering that its supposed to be in the 50s ("Welcome to my house where you seek information...also Dick Nixon? What a chump *gestures towards JFK photo* anyways grandma's out back"
, the costuming is basically modern, it isnt used in any particularly meaningful or necessary way, its not even a lazy Cell Phone dodge because the plot would 100% work without phones, the kids even literally have a walkie-talkie groupchat (thats a big part of one of the stories & then basically vanishes forever). why even bother with the frame when it drags the film's momentum down so much w/ handfulls of filler & choked out exposition

"Oh, don't worry about that-she's just standing outside her car because her mom abandoned her a while ago leaving her with various deep-seeded abandonment issues. Also she's an outcast, because in this small-town, where rumor spreads like pumpkin seeds, she was mocked mercilessly for being abandoned, but throughout all that two of us stood by her, and that's why we remain her best friends. Anyways,sir, ur name?"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Give me Scary Stories but done with Chanel Zero

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BisonDollah posted:

The answer is It's Complicated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUjq8qHYA3o

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Just saw the movie Us and have a quick question I want answered:

What was the point of the whole human chain thing the Tethered did at the end? What was their overall goal? Hey congrats, you just murdered half the population, now you're all standing around in the open like a bunch of dipshits, prepare to get firebombed by strike choppers

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Parrotine posted:

What was the point of the whole human chain thing the Tethered did at the end? What was their overall goal? Hey congrats, you just murdered half the population, now you're all standing around in the open like a bunch of dipshits, prepare to get firebombed by strike choppers

Remember the thing the girl saw at the beginning of the movie?

She really took that to heart

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Parrotine posted:

Much like the actual Hands Across America, it was a powerful display of nothing in particular

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

Remember the thing the girl saw at the beginning of the movie?

She really took that to heart

No I get that but then what? Either way they're completely hosed in the end

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Parrotine posted:

The point is there was no point, because it was a dumb plan that a traumatized little girl came up with.

Parrotine posted:

No I get that but then what? Either way they're completely hosed in the end

No, no you got it. That's entirely correct: for all the symbolic destruction that's been caused ultimately nothing has actually changed and the larger systems of oppression (such as the government agency whose scientists made the tethered in the first place) remain in place and go unpunished. The tethered will be destroyed and never be allowed to be truly free or happy.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 13, 2019

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

feedmyleg posted:

Not sure if this may or may not count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwDOqsu0GZw

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m not a tactical realism person and I’m usually pretty good at suspending my disbelief...but as fun as Us is, I don’t think it really sticks the landing on its premise and isn’t as smart as it seems.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The point is there was no point, because it was a dumb plan that a traumatized little girl came up with.

No, no you got it. That's entirely correct: for all the symbolic destruction that's been cause ultimately nothing has actually changed and the larger systems of oppression (such as the government agency who's scientists that made the tethered) remain in place and go unpunished. The tethered will be destroyed and never be allowed to be truly free or happy.

So this was basically a giant slam on Hands Across America then, got it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Watched it too recently! But that'd be perfect. Went with The Plague of the Zombies instead, been putting that off for ages.

Plague of the Zombies RULES SO loving MUCH

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Has anyone here seen The Reptile? I saw it when I was looking up the director of Plague of the Zombies, which he apparently directed back to back with The Reptile the same year. Plague of the Zombies is good enough that I feel like I should check out more of John Gilling's work.

Looks like he did some pirate adventure films too, and one of them stars Peter Cushing! Definitely need to track that down. It's called Fury at Smuggler's Bay.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

Has anyone here seen The Reptile? I saw it when I was looking up the director of Plague of the Zombies, which he apparently directed back to back with The Reptile the same year. Plague of the Zombies is good enough that I feel like I should check out more of John Gilling's work.

Looks like he did some pirate adventure films too, and one of them stars Peter Cushing! Definitely need to track that down. It's called Fury at Smuggler's Bay.

I liked the reptile, the monster design’s goofy and it’s kinda orientalist but it did really bring across the atmosphere that makes Hammer films so enjoyable to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Plague of the Zombies RULES SO loving MUCH

Truth. It couldn't have been more what I was looking for, and a lot more. I was not prepared for a voodoo Temple of Doom to spring up. That dream sequence in the cemetery couldn't have been more perfect, and the whole climax when the zombies starts smoking is just chef-kiss.gif

e: Haven't seen The Reptile from Gilling, but IIRC The Gamma People is a dud so it's not all good. Looks like he did pirate movies with both Cushing and one with Lee, though, so next time I'm on a pirate binge I've got my double-feature. But if you want a pirate movie starring Cushing, Night Creatures is aces.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 13, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The first Halloween store by me already opened up. :getin:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Blast Fantasto posted:

:woop:

I saw Halloween candy at CVS yesterday.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

e: Haven't seen The Reptile from Gilling, but IIRC The Gamma People is a dud so it's not all good. Looks like he did pirate movies with both Cushing and one with Lee, though, so next time I'm on a pirate binge I've got my double-feature. But if you want a pirate movie starring Cushing, Night Creatures is aces.

Yea I discovered Night Creatures when I bought this Hammer DVD. I really bought it for Brides of Dracula and Evil of Frankenstein but Night Creatures ended up being my favorite movie in the set. It's a solid set though, especially for the $20 price tag, it also has Curse of the Werewolf.

https://www.amazon.com/Werewolf-Par...=gateway&sr=8-1

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Halloween creep is so much more digestible than Christmas creep. Candy and skeletons are fine all year really, but a santa in October is just wrong.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Drunkboxer posted:

Halloween creep is so much more digestible than Christmas creep. Candy and skeletons are fine all year really, but a santa in October is just wrong.

Agreed. It feels like we already get so many months of the year devoted to cheer and candy canes. More days devoted to ghouls and Frankensteins are always welcome

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drunkboxer posted:

When I moved into a new apartment a few years ago my mother gave me a glass pumpkin in October as like a coffee table decoration, she knows how much I love the season. Anyway I think she expected it to be like a seasonal thing that I'd put in a box come November 1st but that pumpkin has been sitting there for 2 years straight and I also have a Bride of Frankenstein poster on my wall year-round.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

It’s beginning to look a lot like

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo #FollowMe suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. It's on Prime and I can usually find some awesome under the radar stuff there but holy poo poo this was dogshit.

Wanna watch an hour and a half of the most boring kind of YouTube Vloggers go on vacation while vaguely creepy stuff happens with an incredibly lame ending? Have fun!

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

BisonDollah posted:

Not sure if you specifically wanted practical effects, in which case the classics have already been mentioned. But Deep Rising is a 'meh' movie with one particularly nasty melting scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmgn96uootU

* EDIT - The Borderlands. Spoilers below *

There was also a found footage film I watched a while back and I can't remember it too well as it was one I stumbled across, but the basic premise is someone investigating missing children and it ends up that there's a tunnel under a church which is some kind of hosed up digestive system and kids were being fed to it.

It didn't show anything overly graphic, but the final shots of the investigator screaming in the tunnel as he's being digested and then the picture cutting out and audio continuing was a pretty memorable moment

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 13, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
You all overlooked the finale of The Fly in the melting scene discussion. That's some gnarly poo poo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I'm really seasonal about movies. I rarely watch horror outside of September and October and all Christmas poo poo needs to be reserved from Thanksgiving to January 5th. I was very pissed that Shazam tricked me into watching a Christmas movie in July.

With that said, my wife and I agreed that Christmas horror can specifically be watched on October 25th and December 13th.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Basebf555 posted:

You all overlooked the finale of The Fly in the melting scene discussion. That's some gnarly poo poo.

How did I not think of this!?!?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween or a Christmas movie?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is Nightmare Before Christmas a Halloween or a Christmas movie?

I consider it a Christmas movie because Jack is bored of Halloween and the plot of the movie involves him attempting to bring Christmas cheer to Halloweentown.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Basebf555 posted:

I consider it a Christmas movie because Jack is bored of Halloween and the plot of the movie involves him attempting to bring Christmas cheer to Halloweentown.

Yeah but the end of the film is him embracing Halloween as his true calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I consider it a Christmas movie but like a "after we eat the turkey and watch football, lets transition as we take down the turkeys and put up the garland" Christmas movie.