Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Cage Kicker posted:

superheros are stinkey

lol are you going to be the one to tell Homelander he has B.O. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Cage Kicker posted:

superheros are stinkey

:phone: Hello Vought Crime Line? I'd like to report a thought crime.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Just Chamber posted:

If A-Train was played by a white actor how many people would complain how unrealistic that was considering most of the top athletes, especially when it comes to Athletics in America are black?

Literally no one you weirdo.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Trevor Hale posted:

Literally no one you weirdo.

Have you checked the state of twitter lately?

You 100% would have posters like I quoted saying the show wasn't diverse enough and why couldn't A-Train be played by a black actor, yet they'd be the same people complaining that he is right now.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 13, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There was apparently a fly problem where they were filming. Kripke answered a question about it during his ama. Some just showed up and instead of cutting and trying to reshoot after trying to kill it, they just kinda busted a fuckit.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just finished the show and I thought it was pretty good. Don't know what I think about the end plot twist though.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There was apparently a fly problem where they were filming. Kripke answered a question about it during his ama. Some just showed up and instead of cutting and trying to reshoot after trying to kill it, they just kinda busted a fuckit.

The weird part is that the sound of the flys wings was kept in. Sound editors are usually pretty capable at filtering out diegetic sound...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just Chamber posted:

You 100% would have posters like I quoted saying the show wasn't diverse enough and why couldn't A-Train be played by a black actor, yet they'd be the same people complaining that he is right now.

Soundwave, the supe that is contesting A-Train for Fastest Man Alive (and would probably have won if A-Train wasn't doping) is white. Anyone complaining that A-Train is black is doing so because he's black, not because of any stereotyping.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Jedit posted:

No, it wasn't. There's also a number of hints in the comic that the Frenchman isn't really French. I'm glad they've gone with the more serious and sane Frenchie who peeks through now and again in his relationship with the Female.

They were pretty clear he was in the French Foreign Legion and most definitely isn't French. Having a sane Frenchie is better though, as much as I liked the comic's version.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
When comic Frenchie tells his backstory it's full of absurd over the top French stereotypes, including a baguette-jousting fight with an evil frenchman in a striped shirt and a floppy hat. I found it funny that show Frenchie overshares about his life (probably lying) cause comic Frenchie is a bit of a mistery.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Look guys, Bob didn't mean to do six lines of coke and plow his truck into the toddler but it was a genuine accident

Bob shouldn't have been driving after doing all that coke, but the toddler should've stayed off the road :v:

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Is there some kind of weird filter or CG on Starlight's skin? I can't figure it out, but it always looks really strange.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

bort posted:

Is there some kind of weird filter or CG on Starlight's skin? I can't figure it out, but it always looks really strange.

She's wearing makeup.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Bob shouldn't have been driving after doing all that coke, but the toddler should've stayed off the road :v:

Also was bob driving because maniac Superman forced him to?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

She's wearing makeup.
Everyone's wearing makeup and looks normal. She looks CGed.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

The current state of twitter is a hellfire of white supremacists and MAGA scum and people who don’t understand that millennials are almost 40 years old. Literally *no one* has ever said why is the Flash white when on average the fastest athletes in American sports are Black men?

You literally have invented outrage and have now doubled down on it, drawing away from the initial argument that was “kind of bullshit that they give the one Black superhero a cliched athlete backstory”

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead

GD_American posted:

I am dying laughing picturing you shivering with Olbermannesque indignation about a six year old probation as you manually type the bold tag on these forums..

If that shivers your timbers, do your fragility a favor and never look up some of the things this website is also known for

Ah yes, many remember the Battle of Guy loving A Meat Statue in 1979. A truly dark moment which no doubt left a mark on young Garth, coming so soon on the heels of Dude Whose Mouth Looks Like A Butthole Sunday. Dark times indeed

If you still throw around "human being" on these forums post 2010 it's because you're a regressive rear end in a top hat that will not change. You've been here long enough to learn, but failed to. You'll do it again, as it's in your character: typical American suburban douchebag.
Modern day Belfast would kick the poo poo out of you, 80s Belfast would kill you. Go mouth off at the Provos or the Loyalists or just some local teenagers and get crippled or dead.

The real world is dark and complicated and ugly and sometimes funny much like Ennis writes it. You seem to regard anything beyond PG 13 as terribly shocking edgelord stuff. You won't even type Arseface.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Millions of Crows posted:

If you still throw around "human being" on these forums post 2010 it's because you're a regressive rear end in a top hat that will not change. You've been here long enough to learn, but failed to. You'll do it again, as it's in your character: typical American suburban douchebag.
Modern day Belfast would kick the poo poo out of you, 80s Belfast would kill you. Go mouth off at the Provos or the Loyalists or just some local teenagers and get crippled or dead.

The real world is dark and complicated and ugly and sometimes funny much like Ennis writes it. You seem to regard anything beyond PG 13 as terribly shocking edgelord stuff. You won't even type Arseface.

:yikes:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Trevor Hale posted:

The current state of twitter is a hellfire of white supremacists and MAGA scum and people who don’t understand that millennials are almost 40 years old. Literally *no one* has ever said why is the Flash white when on average the fastest athletes in American sports are Black men?

You literally have invented outrage and have now doubled down on it, drawing away from the initial argument that was “kind of bullshit that they give the one Black superhero a cliched athlete backstory”

That's a chunk of it yes but there are many sides to twitter and the side I was referring to was a section of the far left where no attempt at appeasement is ever good enough unless you follow their exact vision. And to clarify im not saying they're in any way bad, like the maga assholes, just that they exist, are extremely annoying and often impossible to please. It's the same people who probably love the new Bat Girl remake.

Using the Flash doesn't work as The Flash isn't an athlete though, he's just a regular guy who happens to be fast. Guaranteed if The Flash's backstory was a young athlete who is gifted super speed and it was rebooted today many would be asking for it to be a black character to reflect modern America but there'd be another side that protested that as too stereotypical, the point being that for many film and tv makers it's a lose lose situation as some of those people would protest no matter what.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 13, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

That's a chunk of it yes but there are many sides to twitter and the side I was referring to was a section of the far left where no attempt at appeasement is ever good enough unless you follow their exact vision. And to clarify im not saying they're in any way bad, like the maga assholes, just that they exist, are extremely annoying and often impossible to please. It's the same people who probably love the new Bat Girl remake.

Using the Flash doesn't work as The Flash isn't an athlete though, he's just a regular guy who happens to be fast. Guaranteed if The Flash's backstory was a young athlete who is gifted super speed and it was rebooted today many would be asking for it to be a black character to reflect modern America but there'd be another side that protested that as too stereotypical, the point being that for many film and tv makers it's a lose lose situation as some of those people would protest no matter what.

A Train didn’t have to be an athlete. They made him one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You've been here long enough to learn, but failed to.

Well if that isn’t the pot calling the kettle a cliche athletic background drug addict.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ah yes the very sensitive and not at all edgy comic with the dog that sexually assaults people on command.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

You typed "you basic"

Bust Rodd posted:

If you can't turn off a small part of your brain and enjoy the pure unadulterated pulp that is Sin City then im sorry your brain is broken. I think it's beautifully drawn and all the stories stuck with me for years after I read them and i still think he does better noir than modern comics nerds wanna give him credit for.

He is a trash man with garbage opinions about basically everything, but I love and respect Sin City

The problem with turning off parts of your brain is that sometimes they don't turn back on

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Sleeveless posted:

The tortured antihero screaming at god for taking his wife away from him is a trope that a) sucks b) was boring a decade ago when House MD was doing it c) is dependent on believing that god exists.

I'm sorry your edgy comic book superhero show is still less provocative than your average r/atheism post.

Billy Butcher is man that wants to kill gods. It’s the whole premise. This is another example of his worldview. He thinks God is just another example of a super powered rear end in a top hat that needs to be take down.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

I'd be fine if this really broke the dam for superhero deconstructionist shows and movies. I had high hopes for Brightburn, but it was just an ok movie that didn't knock em dead at the box office.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

GD_American posted:

I'd be fine if this really broke the dam for superhero deconstructionist shows and movies. I had high hopes for Brightburn, but it was just an ok movie that didn't knock em dead at the box office.

:same:

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Just Chamber posted:

Lmao people will twist things any way they can just so they can criticise a show for not being woke enough. It must make them feel so smug.

If A-Train was played by a white actor how many people would complain how unrealistic that was considering most of the top athletes, especially when it comes to Athletics in America are black? Having him being played by a black guy makes a lot of sense if you're updating the comic. Or should the writers be scared of making him black because he also happens to be a bad guy in the comics so they should play it safe and cast a white actor because it's easy to avoid criticism when you make white characters the bad guys on tv shows? All the villains are white except for him and he's probably the most sympathetic of the lot.

Also you say you want Frenchy to not be white. The good guys are a crew of how many? 5? Butcher, Hugh, Frenchy, Mother's Milk and Kimiko. 2 of the 5 are people of color, do we now in media have to always have an exact 50/50 split between poc and white people?

Lol I hope your wife is getting a 50/50 split between you and a black guy

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

In the comics, A-Train is not actually an athlete, he's just a generic white superbro. The Deep IS actually black in the comics, although he's a much different character than the TV version -- he doesn't have a lot of lines, kind of a quiet background character most of the time, and he wears a big diver's helmet so I didn't actually realize he was black until late in the run when someone drops the N-word around him.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Homelander drops a hard-R on the Deep for loving up 9/11 and also the Vought costume department makes him (the Deep) wear leopard print jungle garb despite being lord of the ocean

The comic is bad

If they had kept A-Train's characterization from the comics (frequent rapist who suffers no lasting consequences) it would have made sense to keep him as a young white male, but alas

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Of course A-Train does athletic competitions on the side, what the gently caress else is he going to do? UPS?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I finished episode 8 last night. Interesting and kept my interest.

I need subtitles for all of Frenchie's dialogue, I have no clue what he's saying 80% of the time.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

With all of this chat going on, it makes me thankful they didn't keep Jack from Jupiter in the show. His arc sucked anyway, and it just wouldn't fly in 2019. Or god, even like all of MM's backstory.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 14, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm wondering if they're gonna do Vic the Veep next season? But I'm thinking no. Instead maybe doing Homelander as president?

But they ended up doing The Messiah and everything in Preacher.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

I think A-train being Black is fine? And maybe even an improvement on the comic version? His angst and struggles with no longer being the fastest man alive (IIRC the other speedsters we see are all white) and therefore taking advantage of his role as a coerced Compound V mule to dope himself up despite what it costs him in terms of his health and relationships was well done and I think it draws a nice corollary with how Black professional athletes are perceived and treated in the real world without being too hamfisted.

Frenchie looks and sounds Algerian or Tunisian to me, no sure what the issue is.

Kimiko (the Female) is probably where there's the most ~*problematic*~ stuff. She's not exactly a Dragon Lady trope but mute Asian killing machine is not something you can really get away with in 2019 without some blowback, which makes me think they will continue to humanize her beyond what we got in S1, although doubtful that she'll ever be anything resembling normal in the show.

IDK, they seem to be doing an okay job with cutting the worst parts of the comic, updating it to feel more relevant, and adapting what works in an engaging manner. There's definitely room for criticism but what we got certainly could've been much much worse.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

A train’s race literally never comes up and for all you know they wrote the role without a race in mind and then went with the actor who fit it best. Should they not have given him the job to avoid a (debatable) stereotype? It’s not a part of the written character for even one line, just like the black guy playing noir.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Starks posted:

A train’s race literally never comes up and for all you know they wrote the role without a race in mind and then went with the actor who fit it best. Should they not have given him the job to avoid a (debatable) stereotype? It’s not a part of the written character for even one line, just like the black guy playing noir.

Well, the security guard scene.

If someone has a problem with A-Train being an egocentric track star, imagine if they'd just carbon copied the comic version. Pants-around-ankles rapist and all

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Starks posted:

Oh yeah, he’s black too. Neat.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just got done binging this what a fantastic show. You can tell they were working on a razor thin budget but it worked out. Less super hero flashiness the better. All of the intimidation and dread came from implication instead of Homelander just running around zapping people even though that happens too.

I was hesitant to watch this because of the marketing. The Boys is a terrible name and all of Amazon's ads were representing this show as a bunch of rude super heroes loving around. Instead it's this heavy rear end mystery drama with a lot of dark topics and moral ambiguities. Calling this show a super hero deconstruct doesn't really do it justice.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm wondering if they're gonna do Vic the Veep next season?
I don't think they need a literal brain damaged plant in the WH. But they might have a Vought-leaning person assume the role when a terrible tragedy takes out the President and Veep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Or maybe just have a Trump analogue and imply he was set up by Vought? :cheeky: We'll see.