Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

NikkolasKing posted:

So I just had a totally random thought. Like I literally just woke up and thought it in spite of not reading any Sanderson for almost a year now.

I'm not sure if it's completely obvious and I'm just super late to the party or if it's actually impossible and I'm remembering wrong.

Was Marsh killing the other Inquisitors and helping to kill the Lord Ruler because of Ruin? Could he have only resisted like that because it benefited Ruin to finally have Rashek done away with?

I used to just think, when I first read it, that he simply retained enough of his mind at first to fight back. But the Inquisitor's fanaticism does make a lot more sense if they're all being controlled. I would not become super loyal to the guy who did that to me.

Also I always use audiobooks but they'e "normal" audiobooks. I first found audiobooks of TSA that were more dramatized or something and I didn't like those.

I don't think Ruin was in complete control of the inquisitors until after he was freed from the well. I think Rashek was aware that beings with Hemalurgic spikes could be influence by Ruin, which is why the Kandra has the First Contract. I wouldn't have made a bunch of inquisitors if I thought they could be stolen from me by the big bad guy at a moment's notice.

It is possible that his influence helped Marsh along the way but I don't think it was a full on domination like in Hero of Ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
The Kandra have the First Contract because they and the Inquisitors and Koloss (and anything with hemalurgic spikes) have the Flaw - they can be dominated by emotional allomancy but especially by Ruin. Rashek knew this and took precautions because he was sure the Inquisitors would eventually betray him, because he cottoned on to Ruin's plan with Alendi. Kandra, Koloss, and Inquisitors were all limited by the spikes Rashek provided them, the Contract was the Kandra reciprocating and saying they were allied with Preservation. Ruin had always been stymied by Rashek, but until he was free of the Well the most Ati could do was whisper to someone with spikes.

Maybe Ati was helping Marsh resist Rashek's influence, but considering Marsh was able to resist the full will of the unleashed deity at the crucial moment I don't think he needed too much help.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 13, 2019

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One thing I was always curious about was what would happen if everyone just left the Lord Ruler alone, and he got to use the well the second time like he had intended - he had centuries to think about what to do, would he have been able to defeat ruin for good, made the world better, or even worse?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I got the impression Ruin had corrupted him, at least later on, and that was his "excuse" for being like he was (huge massive bastard).

Still even from the start it seems he was a racist rear end in a top hat who used his powers to make the world incredibly worse in pointless ways just to satisfy his sadism and created a system of slavery, rape and murder that lasted a thousand years.

I really have trouble with the part were Vin thanks the lord ruler in his head, given how evil he was. I really never came around to seeing him as a tragic or remotely heroic figure, I got the impression the books kinda wanted to try for that angle myself, but I refused to follow along. Is this just me?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I got the impression Ruin had corrupted him, at least later on, and that was his "excuse" for being like he was (huge massive bastard).

Still even from the start it seems he was a racist rear end in a top hat who used his powers to make the world incredibly worse in pointless ways just to satisfy his sadism and created a system of slavery, rape and murder that lasted a thousand years.

I really have trouble with the part were Vin thanks the lord ruler in his head, given how evil he was. I really never came around to seeing him as a tragic or remotely heroic figure, I got the impression the books kinda wanted to try for that angle myself, but I refused to follow along. Is this just me?

I had the exact same impression and I also rejected it. I can have some pity for him because I think it's good to have pity in our hearts for even the worst people but I think the story wanted us to have some level of gratitude or admiration for him and I simply do not accept that.

But hey, Vin is a way better person than I am. Still my favorite main character in the Cosmere. I really need to reread the Mistborn trilogy again.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

He genuinely wanted to preserve the world and his people, even left behind those caches to give them a chance should he die. He was def evil because of how he went about it but it’s portrayted as calous and pragmatic rather than pure malice, he wasn’t Sauron.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the lord ruler was more Lawful Evil. A very much an ends justify the means sort of villain. He went up against a god, made a bad decision that he couldn't modify until the well refilled, and spent the next 1000 years working toward killing god. He was just terrible and went about it in a terrible way and it ended up corrupting him even more. Vin just thanks him for his pragmatic side.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

He went out of his way to not make himself a load bearing boss, which is a strong indication that he actually cared more about his goal than himself. He went about it in a dumb as hell way and massively hosed the world, but he was definitely not an irredeemable villain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone asked Brandon about it a while back. It *could* have ended up with everything turning out okay, but the Lord Ruler would probably have tried to fix things and hosed them up more

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just don't see him as an end justifying the means kind of guy. Because he didn't need to make the world into a sadist murder nightmare for a thousand years to accomplish what he wanted, he just did that out of pure malevolence and even if he had defeated Ruin, I don't think he would just stop with pointless hellworld society and it would just keep going on with him as ruler, perhaps without the ash this time.

He is irredeemable to me for the society he set up because there was no justification for doing so.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It wasn't just for kicks is all I'm saying, his attitude wasn't "oh joy I can't wait to oppress myself some ska", it was "why can't those degenerates be grateful for all I'm doing for them, now I got to oppress them again ugh".

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I always took it as he went balls-to-the-wall with the power at first and broke poo poo, then slapped ignorant bandaid fix after ignorant bandaid fix on the giant clusterfuck he created because he had legit no loving clue how or why the world worked the way it did. Only by sheer accident did Rashek end at a nightmare hellworld stable enough to endure until Preservation's well refilled. It took a Terrisman who wasn't a deliberately ignorant fuckwad to fix Rashek's stupid mistakes.

The society, on the other hand, was something he put together after the fact, and it was heavily patterned after his small-minded bigoted bullshit. And then Rashek spent the next thousand years buying into his own myth. Ruin may have nudged him from time to time, but mostly Rashek hosed poo poo up on his own.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161671427117867008?s=19

Braids confirmed

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

personally i'm very excited to see nerds online angry because nynaeve, perrin, and egwene are all poc

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just don't see him as an end justifying the means kind of guy. Because he didn't need to make the world into a sadist murder nightmare for a thousand years to accomplish what he wanted, he just did that out of pure malevolence and even if he had defeated Ruin, I don't think he would just stop with pointless hellworld society and it would just keep going on with him as ruler, perhaps without the ash this time.

He is irredeemable to me for the society he set up because there was no justification for doing so.

We know that while holding the shards gives you immense power, you're not omniscient or omnipotent. Rashek was ignorant and in his ignorance kept loving things up, even as his ability to change things decreased.

He moved Scadrial closer to the sun to burn away mist, but that got everything too hot. So he spun the planet faster, and increased cloud cover, but that made everything die and the volcanoes erupt. So he had to change people and plants and animals to survive the hellish conditions and ash fall. And by then things were so hosed up that the only way humanity could survive (he thought) was with a rigid top-down society. And then the Well was dry for a thousand years

Rashek was a total shitbird and really hosed things up, but it wasn't precisely deliberate

eke out posted:

personally i'm very excited to see nerds online angry because nynaeve, perrin, and egwene are all poc

Same

Are they all the same heritage? I'd be interested if they showed all the Emond's Field folk as quite similar and apart, and really highlight how different Rand looks

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Who is playing Perrin and Egwene?

I've never heard of anything listed on this person's IMDB profile, other than Power Rangers (but even then I'm not familiar with this particular series, only the 'brand') so :shrug: Doesn't inspire confidence in the same way that the announced talent for Sanderson's cosmere works also doesn't. Hopefully I'm wrong in both cases :)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

Who is playing Perrin and Egwene?

I've never heard of anything listed on this person's IMDB profile, other than Power Rangers (but even then I'm not familiar with this particular series, only the 'brand') so :shrug: Doesn't inspire confidence in the same way that the announced talent for Sanderson's cosmere works also doesn't. Hopefully I'm wrong in both cases :)

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161673919436185600

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161672659534413824

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161670278448947201

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1161668876720984064

https://twitter.com/WoTonPrime/status/1141390183641866245

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

Are they all the same heritage? I'd be interested if they showed all the Emond's Field folk as quite similar and apart, and really highlight how different Rand looks

nah. i assume they'll distinguish rand by him being very tall and having red hair

Sab669 posted:

Doesn't inspire confidence in the same way that the announced talent for Sanderson's cosmere works also doesn't. Hopefully I'm wrong in both cases :)

not exactly easy to cast a half a dozen young actors for a potentially years-long project, i'm happy with them going with relative unknowns. really curious who'll be playing Lan and if they try to get a bigger name for that role opposite rosamund pike

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna enjoy seeing how they handle Rand towering over everyone. It's gonna be like reverse Hobbits.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

a bunch of pictures

Thanks! I did see the Moraine announcement a while ago but I missed all the others

eke out posted:

not exactly easy to cast a half a dozen young actors for a potentially years-long project, i'm happy with them going with relative unknowns.

touche! I suppose I probably would've said the same thing about GoT back when HBO started casting for that, for the most part. Aside from Bean and Headey I didn't know any one from that show either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Do we need a new wheel of time thread?

I like how Moiraine is the one white lady.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:lol:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The other WoT thread became pretty inactive a few years after Memory of Light's release, and I don't think a new thread would fare much better right now. They apparently just finished (or are finishing?) casting, have they even started filming yet? I don't think there will be enough news to sustain a separate thread for some time now, and this threads works well enough as a WoT thread for now. Opening a new thread now would likely only lead to large periods of inaction, when there's nothing new to discuss.

That said, perhaps this thread could get a title change? Like "Brandon Sanderson: He's written more than just the Stormlight Archive and Wheel of Time!"?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2019

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

personally i get really excited when i see a cast full of unknowns and wish it happened more often. you get a bunch of people hungry enough that aren't so established that they've maybe built up a bunch of weird habits and they can really throw themselves into a project

mewse
May 2, 2006

Patware posted:

personally i get really excited when i see a cast full of unknowns and wish it happened more often. you get a bunch of people hungry enough that aren't so established that they've maybe built up a bunch of weird habits and they can really throw themselves into a project

This is certainly what happened with Kit Harrington.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah for all that the game of thrones project went spiralling down a hole it made a lot of careers for people who just didn't exist before it started. especially ned's actor, i think he has a lot of long-running roles with long lives ahead of him

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Kinda mad on that spelling. "Shown with a light". UGH.

I'm cautiously optimistic, though!

The worst part is going to be hearing how they pronounce everything. As someone who hasn't done audio books I'm sure I'm saying everyone's name incorrectly and it's going to hurt hearing otherwise.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
What are the odds they cast a white or African-American actor to play Lan rather than an Asian actor?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HidaO-Win posted:

What are the odds they cast a white or African-American actor to play Lan rather than an Asian actor?

Jackie Chan Lan

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Pretty great news in my opinion and having a weird looking Dutch kid as Rand will make him standout as "clearly not from around here". Randland has always been fairly diverse though. It's been awhile since I did a reread but I remember the characters being more distracted by the Seanchan's shaved heads and accents than their skin tones, and even then I don't think the Seanchan were universally black.

They better get those loving accents right though. Assuming this isn't a disaster and we get season 2

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I would be perfectly OK if they do not be speaking like an illainer, honestly.

Also book 14 ch 37 is TWO HUNDRED FORTY PAGES long what the gently caress

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I vote yes, more than half of this threads posts are about WoT and most of those are unrelated to Sanderson, and also most of them are posts about how bad it is, which is a little annoying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sab669 posted:

Book 10, chapter 12 feels longer

yes that's the fifty pages of bathtime

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Sab669 posted:

I specfically meant the Seanchan having a southern drawl. We need more of that in fantasy.

eke out posted:

I've already started receiving private messages from my own family outraged at this.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Goddammit

the last thing i need to do is re-read goddam Wheel of Time again

I'm gonna do it aren't I

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Goddammit

I'm gonna do it aren't I

Nah. You'll stall out around Crown of Swords.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Goddammit

I'm gonna do it aren't I

The audio books are wonderful. I highly recommend them.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Sab669 posted:

It's called "The Last Battle", not "Goodnight Moon".

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Oh man. That's such a good chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I'm expecting some 'The Spear That Would Not Break' badassery. Just haven't really had a chance to sit down and read lately.