Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can you still not tab out without the game pausing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Game is choppy (if anyone has figured out what setting might alleviate that, let me know), otherwise good. I'm very excited to dive in once things are smoothed out.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The core gameplay hasn't changed and flying with KBAM is still obnoxious. Guess I need to keep a controller plugged in. Also the Remap Controls screen does nothing. Can't remap and doesn't even tell you the current controls.

Might just start a new game and use a save editor to give myself full slots and upgrades, finding a tool with one extra slot for 100k space bucks isn't interesting or fun at all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

For all ya'll with choppy performance, have you looked to see if the game is running with the Vulcan renderer? Or is that automatic now and you get no choice between it and OpenGL?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I wish I could play but the flight controls with a mouse suck and my xbox controller doesn't work at all. Probably something to do with the steam controller settings that they mandated on everyone and you have no way to turn off.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheesetriangles posted:

I wish I could play but the flight controls with a mouse suck and my xbox controller doesn't work at all. Probably something to do with the steam controller settings that they mandated on everyone and you have no way to turn off.

Maybe you can disable the Steam overlay in-game and your Xbox controller will work?

Edit: I've also had issue where games wouldn't take input from my Xbox controller if I had another controller, like a HOTAS, plugged in at the same time. Maybe unplug any additional controllers you have if you have any.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Does the DS4 work on Steam? I picked this up on Steam this morning, but I could get it for PS4 instead if it's got a bunch of issues.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

cheesetriangles posted:

Can't you right click on the game, and display steam controls from there? I have to do that with all my games now to get the controls to work with my xbone controller.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Initial impressions of the GOG version:

-Not noticed any performance hit
-Anomaly looks pretty
-Motion blur, ugh. That got turned off quickly
-Where's my base landing pad gone?
-Oh god everything in my base needs power, including storage, my appearance modifier, and trade point. It'll take an age to wire this all up

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Two Owls posted:

All landing pad parts were redone to accommodate the ship rescale. Fixed pads (stations, trading posts) were redesigned, player-built pads were deleted and you should have received a resource refund somehow.

vvvvvvvvv "The Anomaly" was the old pre-Beyond name for what is now the Nexus

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Two Owls posted:

Initial impressions of the GOG version:

-Not noticed any performance hit
-Anomaly looks pretty <------------------------------------------------------WHAT IS THIS MEAN?
-Motion blur, ugh. That got turned off quickly
-Oh god everything in my base needs power, including storage, my appearance modifier, and trade point. It'll take an age to wire this all up

Please see above. What is anomaly?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Maybe you can disable the Steam overlay in-game and your Xbox controller will work?

Edit: I've also had issue where games wouldn't take input from my Xbox controller if I had another controller, like a HOTAS, plugged in at the same time. Maybe unplug any additional controllers you have if you have any.

I don't have any other controller plugged in including hotas or wheel or anything like that. They seem to have gone and mapped some huge complex thing in the steam controller settings by default and they don't work. So instead of A button being an A button and the game saying okay you hit the A button it instead says this button confirms menus or whatever. Except none of it works.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The new Anomaly is beautiful, but my frame rate loving tanked in there, from 144fps to 12. What the gently caress? Also, the game crashed within seconds of loading my save in VR. So much for that. Performance in VR looks to be absolute poo poo.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Updating drivers and doing a full restart did improve performance, but I'm hoping things still get smoothed out significantly from here. Is there a way to change the 'turn your right hand while teleporting to turn' mechanic?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

chaosapiant posted:

Please see above. What is anomaly?

The anomaly is that thing that big sphere that would appear in front of you and it was part of the ongoing quest to... I think they're the ones who want you to get to the center of the galaxy? There was only like 3 NPCs and a tiny room in it before

Babe Magnet posted:

can you still not tab out without the game pausing lol

It's really astonishing that the game STILL has this problem. It's astonishing that any game doesn't let me seamlessly tab in and out of the game nowadays, Youngblood has an issue with that for me as well. WoW lets me do that with ZERO problems, don't do worse than BLIZZARD guys

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

haveblue posted:

All landing pad parts were redone to accommodate the ship rescale. Fixed pads (stations, trading posts) were redesigned, player-built pads were deleted and you should have received a resource refund somehow.

Are the new pads physically larger than the old ones? Several of my bases were built up around multiple pads and the spacing between them so it'd be kind of a nuisance if I have to rebuild everything else to fit them back in.

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone thoroughly explored the content in the Abyss update? I haven't played since Next dropped last year and I'm excited to explore the oceans with my big ol sea sub. I want to find myself a nice pearl of a paradise planet maybe on a beach somewhere with soft waves lapping the shore. Little fury dick monsters walking around and just being in nature.

I did everything in the Abyss update when it came out. It's kind of neat though the sub handles even more janky than other exocraft in it's own ways and I wish more of the all glass base parts could be used above sea level. The biggest disappointment though is that oceans deeper than like 50 feet are really really rare in the NMS universe.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

sigher posted:

The new Anomaly is beautiful, but my frame rate loving tanked in there, from 144fps to 12. What the gently caress? Also, the game crashed within seconds of loading my save in VR. So much for that. Performance in VR looks to be absolute poo poo.

The Anomaly is the hub where other people can join your game so if you have ambient multiplayer enabled your frame rate will tank (probably because their servers are under stress right now). I turned it off and everything went smooth (though it went empty and all the waving strangers left :( )

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Thundarr posted:

Are the new pads physically larger than the old ones? Several of my bases were built up around multiple pads and the spacing between them so it'd be kind of a nuisance if I have to rebuild everything else to fit them back in.

Probably? Ships are like 50% bigger than they were pre-Beyond because VR players have to actually fit in the cockpit now, I'd guess any layout that involves stuff on more than 2 sides of a pad is going to have to be redone.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Macaluso posted:

It's really astonishing that the game STILL has this problem. It's astonishing that any game doesn't let me seamlessly tab in and out of the game nowadays, Youngblood has an issue with that for me as well. WoW lets me do that with ZERO problems, don't do worse than BLIZZARD guys

it's gotta be a design decision for whatever reason. Is there an achievement for surviving on permadeath for a long time or something? either way it's still stupid

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gave it another three or so hours with a new game on PSVR and though there are some things that take getting used to, eventually it worked great. Still blurry as hell but I was kind of expecting that and like with most VR games you eventually adjust to it and accept it. Only had a couple of bugs like certain button prompts showing a yellow warning triangle instead of the button, my right hand turning invisible after an appearance change and some bits of text showing strings like %PLANET_ANIMAL% and stuff. And for some reason I can't seem to be able to upload my discoveries.

Flying is super fun though, all you need to do with the stick is move your wrist a bit, it's super responsive. And using the throttle feels more like a gear shifter than an actual throttle and I got to a point where I could flip it without looking and pull off all kinds of crazy maneuvers without breaking a sweat. Doing barrel rolls never gets old either.

The QOL stuff is really nice too, so many things I never even thought I'd needed.

It's still janky, it's still No Man's Sky for better or worse but I'm having a lot of fun with it. :v:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Here's to hoping wmr works! Else I could maybe try and stream it to my quest.

Lol apparently having the wmr controllers connected causes the game to crash on launch. There is a driver someone made that gets it to work for now https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsMR/comments/cqeoud/steamvr_driver_to_make_nms_work/

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

sigher posted:

As far as PC VR performance issues, this was posted up on the Steam forums:

Someone from Steam posted:

Alright, people. I got it to run smooth without reprojection. Previously, reprojection was constantly active.

1070GTX
Ryzen 2700
etc etc

The problem isn't your system, (probably), it's that the game is NOT running in direct mode. That means your desktop settings will effect the game, including resolution and frame rate (when using v-sync). This will likely be patched. For now, here's how to get around the problem:

Go into your GPU control panel and force v-sync off. Your VR game is being locked to your desktop monitors refresh-rate, and if this is lower than your VR headset's refresh rate it causes reprojection to kick in all the time.

Then, go into the games graphics settings. Switch the game to fullscreen, and start reducing the resolution. By default the game is rendering at your desktop resolution, so you could be forcing a very high SS without knowing it, especially if your running a 4K or 1440p monitor. It does seem like the resolution is per-eye, even though it should be full-field. The vives per-eye resolution is 1080x1200, but you can't select that resolution so just set it close to that (or higher if you want SS).

Next, make sure the games maximum frame-rate option matches the hz of your VR headset. For the Vive, set it to 90. May as well disable v-sync here as well.

Now your game wont be locked to a refresh-rate lower than your headset, and you can adjust your resolution up and down to match your desired SS... kinda.

Enjoy!

Edit: Can confirm this works beautifully.

TheKeeper fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 14, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm sure everyone is completely aware of this, but I'll say it anyway;

Verify your game cache before starting

For some reason large updates usually fail and verifying the game cache re-syncs everything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I tried VR again and it's pretty great, however the flight controls with the virtual stick and throttle are absolutely terrible. Does the game support HOTAS set-ups? Last I checked it didn't support Direct Input, only Xinput.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:lol: All those PC-problems sound like the devs optimized the game for PS4 or something, 'cause my 30 minute testrun today went of smoothly.

The only thing annoying me was adding another button to scanning. Until today I didn't even realize there wasn't a button for scanning, because I always zoomed in and held the zoom button when scanning, so I just assumed scans only started and continued if I held the zoom-button pressed.

So my dumbass explorer was staring a full minute at different plants today, trying to get her scanner to work. Then I finally noticed the little helper message on the right telling me which button I need to press for scanning and truth dawned on me

Other than that, no problems or crashes. Makes me feel guilty honestly, after reading about so many people having trouble with this patch.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Yeah the VR stick on mine switched from very sensitive to not at all in a blink.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

sigher posted:

I tried VR again and it's pretty great, however the flight controls with the virtual stick and throttle are absolutely terrible. Does the game support HOTAS set-ups? Last I checked it didn't support Direct Input, only Xinput.

Does it support Xinput in VR at all? I thought it was tracked motion controllers only. If it supports controllers in VR, I'll use my janky Chinese VR headset and give it a shot.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Black Griffon posted:

Game is choppy (if anyone has figured out what setting might alleviate that, let me know), otherwise good. I'm very excited to dive in once things are smoothed out.

same for me here. It's like a whole new game. It's really fun but the performance is horrible.

I had the blurry problem here too, but restarting the game fixed it.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
I just got to the bit where you first visit the Anomoly, and it seems like everything in the game, base parts, decorations, exocraft etc is unlockable from there...does this mean I don't have to do those stupid 'base assistant' missions to get my grubby hands on some exocraft?! It sure looks like it.

They've fixed all of my main problems with the game with this update.

I just wish it didn't crash every 30 minutes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Since I can't play the game, I have been reading other people's bug posts, and it is pretty amusing.

Apparently freighters are all kinds of hosed up for a ton of people right now, with invisible walls and holes in the floor.
It seems that in the quest for QoL improvements that HG removed the upload all button for discoveries?
Certain starships suddenly missing parts of their body (like wings or fins) after the update.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stare-Out posted:

Dude's having fun on Twitter, it's pretty great.

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1161576014780207104

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp9Tsw7Oyk

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh god. I built my first new base on a pretty flat mesa, thinking "good building site." Only to realize that meant "no building MATERIALS" arrrgh I should have built it in the center of the forest.

I'm partially iffy on bases needing power now. It seems like it's not too much of a problem to manage (I've played Subnautica before) but not being able to just plop down a teleporter and call it a day... shame.

But the base schematics unlocker thingy now works on a visible tech tree which is very very good.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Before going to bed last night saw the awesome patch notes and thinking maybe the game is finally polished and feeling complete now, today see everyone posting about bugs, crashing and weird inconsistent design decisions.

Lmao same old No Man's Sky.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Just played about four hours of co-op on PC (not in VR) with my husband and a friend. On the whole, I'm really positive on Beyond so far, but BOY are there a poo poo ton of bugs:

• NPCs can only be talked to by a single player... ever... when you're in a multiplayer session. My husband talked to all the NPCs in the starting station, and whenever I try to talk to them later, the UI disappears and I just stare at the NPC for about ten seconds until the game UI reappears. It's like it doesn't load the dialog at all. Exceptions to this seem to be quest NPCs and merchants.
  • Approaching the rightmost merchant on the space station makes the entire space station disappear and I fall through space, eventually leading to a CTD about four seconds later.
  • Didnt have any issues with my Xbox 360 controller on PC at all, and didnt have issues launching the game after patching and verifying integrity. So I count myself lucky there.
  • However there is a TON of controller latency that comes in bursts, specifically with analog sticks drifting or being totally unresponsive for a second. Seems to mainly happen in combat.
  • On my very first reroll my ship and I spawned in a deep valley surrounded on all sides by unscalable cliff faces. And the quest objective that would give me the parts to repair my launch thrusters was outside this area. So I was forced to reroll the save.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheKeeper posted:

As far as PC VR performance issues, this was posted up on the Steam forums:

Thank you, this will help hopefully.

I was going to say, I tried out VR today, and the brings my Ryzen 5 2600x and 1080ti to their knees. This was on all default settings, however, so we'll see what messing with the above does.

Very cool to be in the world for real though. I started a new game, and its been fun cosplaying as a spaceman

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
It seems forcing v-sync of at the nvidia control panel solved most of my fps drops and stuttering issues.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Drone posted:

On my very first reroll my ship and I spawned in a deep valley surrounded on all sides by unscalable cliff faces. And the quest objective that would give me the parts to repair my launch thrusters was outside this area. So I was forced to reroll the save.

If you come across areas like this, there's a way out. If you're pressed right up against a wall, you can jetpack straight up it and it won't use any fuel, so you can go as high as needed. As long as the wall is most vertical it works fine. I remember the game used to give you that info in a pop-up sometimes but maybe when you're only already right by the wall? Not sure what would trigger it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Having the controls to build bases be worse than Fallout 4/76 sure was an interesting decision.

Just copy Subnautica.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Played for 20 mins. Instant annoying tech popup that blocks half the screen and comes back every loving minute. Yes annoying me is a good first impression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Alright well I'm just gonna start me a new playthough of NMS I guess

Doot dee doo running round the planet dying of toxic exposure getting that ferrite getting that carbon

Alrighty got my piece of poo poo starter ship up and running lets fly for 20 seconds and oh look I recognize those towers thats a free-distress-signal tower lets get me a free ship

Dum dee dum flying in the atmosphere lets go see what I've randomly rolled I can't wait to see the garbage shuttle that this thing is

going to

to

to be

I've been playing for 30 loving minutes