Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
At this point I'm half keeping an eye on releases and what's available to me via streaming and half storing film ammunition for the next challenge thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think I asked before, but as we're closing in the decade, let's go:

Worst Horror of the Decade: The Devil Inside

I think this, more than any other film, encapsulated the bland, boring, by the book bullshit horror that was rotten this decade. It's deeply unscary, it was made in a blatant attempt to cash in on a craze while doing nothing with it and it ends with a web address instead of any actual ending.

Best Horror of the Decade: Hereditary

No movie in a long time has had me on the edge of my seat, biting my lip and worried about every scare like this. The movie build and builds and then once it starts to go down that deep dark hill the film never ever stops

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Worst horror of the decade: Chillerama

It wasted Ray Wise.

Best Horror of the decade: Chillerama

It is so horrifying no one can stand to watch it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Not sure about Hellhouse LLC 3 but it can't be as bad as 2 was.

https://www.horrorsociety.com/2019/08/14/first-sneak-peek-clip-from-shudder-exclusive-hell-house-llc-3-lake-of-fire/

And for the record, I mostly liked Chillerama.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Worst Horror of the Decade: some James Wan spin-off bullshit that I never saw because I'm not an idiot

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Worst Horror of the decade: The Bay

While I'm picky with what I call great my bar for what is good enough is really low. This movie is the only film, regardless of genre, I've watched the past few years and felt like I wasted my time. The director committed to a gimmick that left me utterly cold.

Best Horror of the Decade: Personal Shopper

Look I'm just gonna admit here and now that there's some very notable holes in my horror knowledge for this decade that I plan to start addressing in October. Until then I'll comfortably say that my favorite spookum of the decade is the one that made me most feel like I was taking a warm bath in a cinematic experience that knew just what I wanted.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Worst Horror of the Decade: Lights Out
A film that has The Babadook inspired dreams of speaking in as meaningful metaphors, but comes up short with a thoughtless and incredibly wrongheaded finale.

Actual Worst of the Decade: ATM

Best Horror of the Decade: Get Out
I think Get Out is really the accumulation of a lot of things building out through the decade. It's genuinely scary, tense, well constructed, expressed ideas on race that I think other films have struggled to. and has an incredibly cathartic ending. While I appreciate us, there is such a great clockwork to Get Out.

Most 2010s Horror Movie: V/H/S
I think that this decade was really important for horror and I'm excited where horror is going in the next decade. I think there was a very clear through-line over the last ten years. We saw at the start of the decade, smaller indie horror films like V/H/S really thrive on VOD and Streaming services. Not being bound by theaters, we saw horror movies become a bit more provocative and experimental.

I think that really set up an environment for indie darlings like It Follows, The Babadook, and The Witch. Those films in turn really set the stage for more mainstream prestige horror like Get Out, Us, A Quiet Place, and Hereditary garnering widespread praise. At the same time, it's very much a relic of how loving found footage obsessed horror was post Paranormal Activity.

I think V/H/S really feels in retrospect to feel like an ignition for the rest of the decade as a very clear success story from the streaming/VOD focused horror and how it in a lot of ways previewed the more thoughtful and social conscious horror that was to come with its gender politics, and acts very much as a clear bridge to the past.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i'm going to wait until The Lighthouse is out before i make any proclamations, hot drat, havent been so excited for a horror movie since, well, Midsommar actually

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
According to Letterboxd I've seen 213 horror movies from the 2010s...

Worst is hard because for every bad horror film that people actually saw there are a dozen direct-to-digital garbage fires that are 100x worse. And really boring stuff like the Wrong Turn sequels where I don't even remember anything about them.

I'd vote for The Green Inferno as the Worst, though - I really actively hated that movie.

There are a lot of really strong contenders for Best, but for me it is Hereditary, no question. No other film has ever unnerved and disturbed me like it did. My heart was racing for like an hour after I walked out of the theater... both times.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

I mean, there's tons of TV content from the 50s and 60s that is definitely lost. We're not getting Vampira back, or a lot of early Doctor Who, and while I'd kill to see Peter Cushing in that Caves of Steel adaptation, that would be a sadly wasted life.

Just wait until someone develops a quantum tv that shows feeds of any channel broadcasted over the airways from any period of time.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Best is lame, my vote for Worst of the Decade is Sinister and that goofy gently caress Bughool

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
It does sort of feel like horror in the 2010s was all leading up to Hereditary, doesn't it?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Worst Horror of the Decade: some James Wan spin-off bullshit that I never saw because I'm not an idiot

Agreed.

My personal choice for best horror of the decade: Eyes Of My Mother

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

It does sort of feel like horror in the 2010s was all leading up to Hereditary, doesn't it?
I really, really disagree.

Granted, I'm just not as hot on Hereditary as other people are, but I think there is a sort of meanness in Hereditary that you really can't find in The Witch, The Babadook, Get Out, Us, It Follows, Hush, or even V/H/S. Like even movies with a nasty streak like You Better Watch Out or You're Next really relish in the victories of their protagonists.

Hereditary is admittedly a horror movie made to be off-putting in a decade really defined around social commentary and/or giving you characters to connect with.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best Horror movie of the decade: Return to Nuke 'em High Vol. 1 there's a part where Lloyd Kaufman breaks the fourth wall and it's transcendent. Plus it's a musical.

Worst Horor movie of the Decade: Puppet Master: Littlest Reich this movie goes for the cheapest heat by the hackiest of writers and wastes Barbara Crampton and Tom Lennon.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 15, 2019

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Is Serpent and the Rainbow any good? It’s one of the few Craven movies I’ve never seen.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Woah

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Reminder that Disco Duck was a smash hit in 1976

This can go back to back with this on my "going-to-make-you-mentally-ill roadtrip tape":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ6XOa6webE

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Is Serpent and the Rainbow any good? It’s one of the few Craven movies I’ve never seen.

It’s not great but I love it, tad disjointed and falters a bit near the end. Has a fun fever dream feel to it tho’.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Not really.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Best: Hereditary

Worst: The Innkeepers

For more unpopular opinions... I watched Village of the Damned Last Night to almost complete Carpenter's horror filmography, and I don't really get the hate. I felt it was similar to Prince of Darkness in that it had a really interesting premise that it didn't totally execute on. I still have to see The Ward, but not counting that I'd rank the Carpenter horror movies as follows:

The Thing > In the Mouth of Madness > Halloween > Christine > They Live > Prince of Darkness & Village of the Damned about equally > Ghost of Mars > The Fog > Vampires.

After years of reading people's opinions I think the most surprising thing to me was how little I card for The Fog. Carpenter has really interesting premises for his movies, and The Fog was just so mundane. I didn't find the effects or the characters entertaining, and I was just sort of bored most of the time. It wasn't actively bad like Vampires though.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Aug 15, 2019

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah it’s b-tier Craven but very fun with a lot of cool imagery and at least one very good scary sequence

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Best: The Endless/Mandy
Worst: tie: Suburban Gothic/The Sacrament

I think that new Predator would easily clinch worst if it weren't more of an action movie than horror.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

Best is lame, my vote for Worst of the Decade is Sinister and that goofy gently caress Bughool

I liked Sinister enough. The lawnmower short film in it was effective and good. I'd watch it before any of the Insidious movies.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

At work I've started a movie swap with my employees so we can bond over some movies on those long night watchman shifts. I got U.S.S. Indianapolis and Us in the first swap.

Us is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. It's intense, funny, brutal, and beautiful. It may actually unseat my current all time favorite horror movie, Let the Right One In.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ruddiger posted:

Worst Horor movie of the Decade: Puppet Master: Littlest Reich this movie goes for the cheapest heat by the hackiest of writers and wastes Barbara Crampton and Tom Lennon.

Absolutely this.

But god, Best Horror? Just in the last couple years we've have The VVitch, Hereditary, Get Out, It Follows, Midsommar, and others I'm probably forgetting. They're all so perfect in different ways.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

I liked Sinister enough. The lawnmower short film in it was effective and good. I'd watch it before any of the Insidious movies.

Really? The lawnmower stuff came across Looney Tunes and the rest of the movie took itself very seriously. The first Insidious is a fun haunted house movie with a kinda bizarre but unique premise. Lots of jump scares but visually interesting (the opening, the seance, some of the creature design). Patrick Wilson hams it up a lot but that’s better than being bored to death by Ethan Hawke.

Sinister was two minutes of bad found footage Saw traps and a guy in a slipknot mask. For gently caress sake it ends with Baghool going boogie boogie into the camera and its so bad it looks like a blooper It didn’t have one interesting, visually appealing, or unique idea outside of the snuff films and that’s 5 minutes of the movie.

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 15, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, really.

A true crime writer moving his family into the house of the murders he wants to write about and he finding a box full of snuff films is a strong enough premise to keep me around until the credits. Ethan Hawke's a good actor. The snuff films themselves were spooky. I appreciate that they decided to make the snuff films unflinching spooky visuals instead of gross-outs or jump scares; making them unsettling was a nice approach. The film's sound design was good. Is it a little long? Yes. Are many aspects trite? Yes. Was it fun to see in theaters opening weekend? Yes.

Insidious is also fine, but I find the whole final act goofy and cartoonish. I don't like the aesthetic of the spirit world. The demon loses all intimidation and starts hopping around like Beetlejuice. The first act is pretty cool, though.

There are worse, more boring movies than Sinister, like Cooties, It Comes At Night, Flanagan's Absentia, The Dead Don't Die.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I enjoyed Sinister as like a spookier version of 8mm. It's not great but nowhere near the worst.

For best horror, I doubt something will come along in the next few months that will top the way It Follows just bowled me away with the style and the creeping dread and some really effective scares.

Aside from It Follows, As Above, So Below might be my most rewatched horror of the decade, which I think is definitely something to note even if it might not be as objectively good as some others. I was gonna say Trick r Treat but then I realized it's been 12! years since it came out. drat.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, really.

A true crime writer moving his family into the house of the murders he wants to write about and he finding a box full of snuff films is a strong enough premise to keep me around until the credits. Ethan Hawke's a good actor. The snuff films themselves were spooky. I appreciate that they decided to make the snuff films unflinching spooky visuals instead of gross-outs or jump scares; making them unsettling was a nice approach. The film's sound design was good. Is it a little long? Yes. Are many aspects trite? Yes. Was it fun to see in theaters opening weekend? Yes.

Insidious is also fine, but I find the whole final act goofy and cartoonish. I don't like the aesthetic of the spirit world. The demon loses all intimidation and starts hopping around like Beetlejuice. The first act is pretty cool, though.

There are worse, more boring movies than Sinister, like Cooties, It Comes At Night, Flanagan's Absentia, The Dead Don't Die.

I like the goofy and cartoonish world of Insidious. It’s weird and different. Sinister was just so boring and cliche. You lost me at “true crime writer”. Yeah Hawke is a great actor but he didn’t do a single memorable thing that entire movie.

Oh there are definitely worse movies but i really felt so underwhelmed after seeing Sinister and I paid money to do so.

BrendianaJones
Aug 2, 2011

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Best of the 2010s: Hereditary/The Witch, I can't decide

Worst of the 2010s: Ugh, Smiley, the worst of insufferable internet horror

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BrendianaJones posted:

Best of the 2010s: Hereditary/The Witch, I can't decide

Worst of the 2010s: Ugh, Smiley, the worst of insufferable internet horror

I’m also on Team Can’t Decide Between Those Two.

In terms of worst, I really really hated Phantasm V. It was sub-fan film quality and that series deserved a better wrap-up.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Franchescanado posted:

I liked the first two Insidious movies but I realized that the ending of the first movie is basically a less-effective version of the ending of season 2 of Twin Peaks with the hero entering a hell-dimension to save a loved one, getting into a fight with an evil spirit on the way out but seemingly escaping ok until it's revealed that he's been replaced by said evil spirit right at the end.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Franchescanado posted:

Yeah, really.

The main issue that I have with Sinister is that it sets up this great premise (creepy snuff films, the family can't move back to their old house because of money issues, etc.) and then completely fails to follow up on it. Or, I guess, follows up on it in such a banal and generic fashion.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

I like the goofy and cartoonish world of Insidious. It’s weird and different. Sinister was just so boring and cliche. You lost me at “true crime writer”. Yeah Hawke is a great actor but he didn’t do a single memorable thing that entire movie.

Oh there are definitely worse movies but i really felt so underwhelmed after seeing Sinister and I paid money to do so.

We like different things and that's okay.

Flying Zamboni posted:

I liked the first two Insidious movies but I realized that the ending of the first movie is basically a less-effective version of the ending of season 2 of Twin Peaks with the hero entering a hell-dimension to save a loved one, getting into a fight with an evil spirit on the way out but seemingly escaping ok until it's revealed that he's been replaced by said evil spirit right at the end.

Pretty much! One is terrifying and creative, the other is Insidious.

Lumbermouth posted:

The main issue that I have with Sinister is that it sets up this great premise (creepy snuff films, the family can't move back to their old house because of money issues, etc.) and then completely fails to follow up on it. Or, I guess, follows up on it in such a banal and generic fashion.

That was the problem with all of the possession/demon/evil spirit films of that chunk of years. Once it's finished setting things up, you're just marching towards your twist ending and forgetting the interesting parts that make the story work. Like I remember the 2012 dybbuk film The Possession, but only because it had that one crazy scene where the persons teeth started falling out. It ends on a dud, but it gave me a few memorable moments. I'm also not walking into these things expecting something as crazy unique as It Follows or Hereditary.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I certainly wouldn't call Sinister banal or generic, I mean ok if you want to say that a child snatching demon dressed like Sting is dumb I can understand that but banal?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my #1 worst and best picks are boring, so instead I'll do the second-worst and second-best of the decade.

Second-Worst: Rings. Absolutely inexplicable ten-years-too-late sequel that can't even manage to do anything fun with concepts like "what if Samara came out of a smartphone" or "what if Samara came out of those little TV screens on an airplane"

Second-Best: Green Room. Really only my #2 pick because it could be arguably considered more of a thriller, and if it is, it's the most drum-tight, agonizing thriller in a long long time. Ain't Rights forever.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Forgot about Rings. Yea that was the rare horror movie that I didn't even finish, it was so incredibly boring seemed like it was going to continue to be so I tapped out around the halfway mark.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's no bottom for horror films, so I refuse to name a worst of the decade. The best is the 5 best sequences in V/H/S 1/2/Viral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
deleted

Bolingbroke fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Aug 15, 2019