Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Caidin posted:

I have difficulty understanding the A.I's decision making sometimes. So a syndicate guy declares war on me, and sends a 5 dudes to take an landmark sector on our border while my hands are busy elsewhere. Instead of of just attacking it, first he splits his 3 indentured out and has them run at it and lose to the basic garrison, then his swoop bike mounted hero and one of those Growth bees split off and fly around like their going to attack my colony by themselves only to turn around next turn and also splat against the landmark guards.

there seems to be a weird bug with the AI in this regard. a couple games ago they had 5 stacks in range, and they came out me with 2 and then 3 stacks seperately in the same turn. i have no idea why. shoulda kept that save.

Kanos posted:

Amazons use *lasers*, which don't naturally cause the burning prometheans like unmodded, and laser mods don't apply to any of the promethean units. There's synergy if you fish for it but it's kind of a secondary synergy built around having specific mods locked in on units. Similarly, Dvar have no natural fire damage except the defensive flamers on their tank until you start slapping explosive bullets on everything; explosive bullets rule, of course, but they're a midgame mod at earliest and quite expensive to kit your army out with.

Vanguard has the same level of secondary synergy as Amazons and Dvar, i.e. they can unlock promethean synergy with mid-tier mod tech options, but it's not immediately natural.

For Amazons, the synergy is in the thermal resist debuffs. Channel resist seem to have an outsize impact on damage dealt... so incineration strike for example can be enormously helpful even if a battle has no promethean units.

Another more subtle synergy is that Amazons have access to a lot of CC between Entangle and the biochem immobilize. So you can create burning hellfields on the map and then trap enemies inside them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Is it weird if I look forward to patches for the goofy artwork now :allears:

That's actually in the campaign, Dvar mission 2, to be more accurate. In context, it's actually kind of sad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Though a 32 movement walker would probably just replace troopers.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Ogdred Weary posted:

Edit 2: Oh my god

That picture is from the Dvar campaign, I had been wondering if I could find a high-res version of it because it's absolutely amazing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sedisp posted:

Though a 32 movement walker would probably just replace troopers.

In an endgame super doomstack sense? They already largely do. Their stats and kit effectively make them Big Slow Armored Troopers, with gatlings instead of a rifle and a rocket instead of the grenades.

In a midgame sense? Walkers are strong, but are much, much more expensive than troopers; it's nearly a 3:1 trooper to walker ratio, including cosmite, and 3 modded troopers are absolutely going to put more hurt downrange than a walker while also not slowing your stacks - including the ones that don't even have the walker in it, because you need your armies to stay close during an offensive - down to a crawl. If you gave them the ability to keep up strategically(with, say, a specific hero skill), the main argument for not just spamming walkers becomes one of cost and accessibility, which I think is fine for a unit that is at nearly the end of a tech tree.

Basically I'd just like to be able to sprinkle the odd slow unit into my midgame army without crippling the mobility of my entire offensive, which just doesn't seem worth it on any large map or map with a lot of rough terrain.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i haven't really found the slow units to be a problem strategically. mostly, by the time you have them, you have the own-domain movement discount as well as roads everywhere. And in enemy territory flyer stacks heavily outclass everything else for speed.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Psi-Fish merge well with xenoplague units, because they're both aquatic and get around the map pretty easily. And hey, they both reproduce with parasites!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Could probably give a lot of units something like the sphinx lesser flying from aow3, but in reverse. A tag that gives the unit 32 movement on the strategic map but 24 on the tactical map

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
How do yall build fliers? They're just so fragile that I haven't bothered. Lots of tank mods?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it depends on the flier. some have pretty good baseline dodge, like the Ramjet or the Amazon scout, (or arguably the Gunship) and so dodgestacking on them is really good. Others dont and I usually go heavily offensive on them instead. Mirage gets psychic stuff to encourage its psychic bullshit.

Also is it just me or is the new patch deleting manual saves along with autosaves

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

it depends on the flier. some have pretty good baseline dodge, like the Ramjet or the Amazon scout, (or arguably the Gunship) and so dodgestacking on them is really good. Others dont and I usually go heavily offensive on them instead. Mirage gets psychic stuff to encourage its psychic bullshit.

Also is it just me or is the new patch deleting manual saves along with autosaves

Oh god, I really hope not :( Please tell me why you think that, and I'll check it out as soon as I can tomorrow.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

used to have like 8 or more saves before my current game the only ones it kept were the starmap and that quicksave (which i think was a manual save over a quicksave slot).

i dont have the game installed anywhere else so it shouldnt be cloud fuckery

i'm not 100% sure though, i have some weird issues with the game that im not sure of the source of so wanted to make sure someone else was getting this before filing a bug report

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 15, 2019

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Re: vehicles on heroes, I also find them underwhelming. Not being able to equip the cool high tier weapons is a huge downside compared to mounts in AoW3. That said, there could be a utility use I'm going to experiment with building a cav or maybe flier stack with a buff-focused mounted hero, since theoretically hero bonuses could give those units the survivability they lack.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, you think you had a bunch of non-auto saves from before today, and now you don't? OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll see tomorrow if anyone else has reported this kind of thing.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eschatos posted:

How do yall build fliers? They're just so fragile that I haven't bothered. Lots of tank mods?

As TheDeadlyShoe said, Dodge works pretty good.

But more important is how you use them. I always break my flyers into a separate stack so that when I hit the enemy, my main groundpounder stack is the one that launches the attack, which places the enemy stack facing the groundpounders. Thus, my flyers are always off on the side of the enemy. They've got the speed and are ignoring terrain such that they roll into the enemy flank, focusing all the flyer guns on just one or two enemy units and making it hard for them to focus fire on the flyers in return. In a defensive battle, put the slow infantry and tanks in the center of the building (colony, factory, whatever) and the flyers off by one hex so they can again roll in from an angle while the groundpounders use the cover on the objective. Doesn't do poo poo for dungeons, of course, because in that case you only get the one stack and that's it, but other than that use your fliers like light cavalry, rolling around the sides of your enemy's stacks. Never let them get tied up into a stand up fight, that's what the guys on the ground are for.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gerblyn posted:

So, you think you had a bunch of non-auto saves from before today, and now you don't? OK, thanks for letting me know. I'll see tomorrow if anyone else has reported this kind of thing.

Okay. They are back now. I think what happened is the game lost access to the cloud for no apparent reason and it came back when i restarted. And all the manual saves are on the cloud.

:sigh:

sorry

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Timing is important for flyers too, which is heavily contingent on their abilities. For example, Dvar Ramjets only get one shot at an approach with good defense; afterwards, they're sitting ducks. Vanguard Gunships, on the other hand, can keep spamming movement and guard mode to stack evasion high until they're close enough for a rocket shot, and then they have the option of staying to strafe the enemy with repeater fire, or book it out again.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Huh. After the patch the "Severe" world threat level in scenario creation seems to have disappeared :confused:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Guildencrantz posted:

Huh. After the patch the "Severe" world threat level in scenario creation seems to have disappeared :confused:

It just got renamed to "Moderate" in order to make it more clear that it's the level the game was balanced around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What does it change?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Digirat posted:

What does it change?

Generally, on severe/moderate, stacks have an extra unit over the lower difficulty. It might also affect how quickly they mod up over time.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Gerblyn posted:

I'm going to be doing a stream at 16:00 CEST (~50m from the time of this post) where I'm gonna be playing Promethean Amazon in a sort of "How-To" way, if anyone's interested!

https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

This was a Good Stream, if anyone a) wants to watch a goon dev play their own game, and b) watch someone who actually understands how to approach the game unlike most of the other streams/VODs that came out on release. Gerblyn's actually doing things like "planning", he has an idea of what combinations are good and why, and he thoroughly enjoys using dinosaurs and fire to annihilate plants. The only problem was that you didn't detach your scout from your initial 6-stack...

edit to reply to new post:

Kanos posted:

Generally, on severe/moderate, stacks have an extra unit over the lower difficulty. It might also affect how quickly they mod up over time.

I'm almost positive it does speed up mods, my intuition is that on low they start modding around turn 25-30 while on severe they start around turn 10-15. From a stack strength perspective, on low marauder stacks will usually be 200-300 power below a player 6-stack while on moderate they're generally closer to parity.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 15, 2019

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
I have played like 10 games and haven't seen the fish once :(

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Helion posted:

I have played like 10 games and haven't seen the fish once :(

Play on maps with more water.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Had a glitch in the campaign- restarting the second syndicate map reset my commander level to 1 and removed my inventory.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Another super tiny ui niggle, if you mouse over the list of events, right click an event to close it, the next event tooltip popup won't appear unless you move the mouse completely off the event and back on

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The mediocre looking 2 free starting techs ability just gave me the level 2 and 4 psy techs.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

started right next to psi-fish and growth when I kinda want the fish units and the growth are guarding a + influence resource node...well, time to see how hard the game is when there's an angry flower literally 2 sectors away from your cities.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Digirat posted:

started right next to psi-fish and growth when I kinda want the fish units and the growth are guarding a + influence resource node...well, time to see how hard the game is when there's an angry flower literally 2 sectors away from your cities.

For the most part being at war with a dwelling just means they occasionally throw a stack your way which is highly telegraphed.

How hard that stack is kinda depends on your synergy against them. I fought the Psi-Fish in one game and hoo boy let me tell you it's not fun fighting psi-fish units at sea with only embarked Dvar units.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea mostly it's not a big deal but sometimes they will throw multiple stacks at you and they can attack from almost any direction unless you're actively wiping them out. I found being at war with one of them early to be a huge hassle unless I was able to keep all the AI happy and not at war with me.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
You can just pay some influence and energy to stop the war after you took the POI you wanted (Right as their stacks of units are at the gate even!). They are really of no threat and actually a pretty big boon if they have a dwelling next to you because capturing it means getting access to level 5 development bonus way earlier than you otherwise can. Their army is also a lot worse than they appeared due to the lack of tactical operation.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Bear in mind that once you go to war with an NPC faction, you can get resource bonuses for every 10 kills of their units you make. This is good if you have patrol armies on standby, as well as bonuses against their units. For example, a Promethean player might just stay want to stay at permanent war against the Growth since they get so many thermal damage sources.

Psi-fish are bastards, but once I can field a full navy with non-kinetic damage, I'll happily go to war with them.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They will spawn some pretty big stacks if you go to war with them in the late game, but they can only spawn them from their dwellings or their smaller on-map bases. I spent one full game at war with the Spacers and never saw a single invasion (despite getting multiple announcements that one was coming) because their nearest base was behind another faction's capital.

I've never managed to go a full game of peace with the Spacers, either, because they're my least favorite non-player faction and the tax for keeping the peace with more than two of them really adds up.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

They will spawn some pretty big stacks if you go to war with them in the late game, but they can only spawn them from their dwellings or their smaller on-map bases. I spent one full game at war with the Spacers and never saw a single invasion (despite getting multiple announcements that one was coming) because their nearest base was behind another faction's capital.

I've never managed to go a full game of peace with the Spacers, either, because they're my least favorite non-player faction and the tax for keeping the peace with more than two of them really adds up.

Yeah it does amuse me when I meet a NPC faction on the far side of the map and they act all stroppy but never attack.

Gerblyn, sorry to bug, but is a fix planned for Generate Energy/Generate Knowledge needing requeuing every turn? It's honestly one of the biggest drains of my enjoyment when I'm trying to beeline something and have to go through the motions just to make sure there's not important notices hidden behind those.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am playing on easy settings so the faction spawns are just there to get all my troops xp before I kill an AI.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

Gerblyn, sorry to bug, but is a fix planned for Generate Energy/Generate Knowledge needing requeuing every turn? It's honestly one of the biggest drains of my enjoyment when I'm trying to beeline something and have to go through the motions just to make sure there's not important notices hidden behind those.

It should be coming next patch!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Conot posted:

Yeah it does amuse me when I meet a NPC faction on the far side of the map and they act all stroppy but never attack.

Just keep clicking on the action and you can queue up as many turns as you like. Not fantastic but it works.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Gerblyn posted:

It should be coming next patch!

Excellent, thanks!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm really digging Dvar with Voidtech but I'm bad at the whole mod thing outside of the Trenchers since they're kind of a no-brainer. Anyone care to share their favorite mod combinations on their units? I'm just looking for ideas to grease the rusted, cobweb-filled cogs that make up the tactical and power-gaming portion of my brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Jimbot posted:

I'm really digging Dvar with Voidtech but I'm bad at the whole mod thing outside of the Trenchers since they're kind of a no-brainer. Anyone care to share their favorite mod combinations on their units? I'm just looking for ideas to grease the rusted, cobweb-filled cogs that make up the tactical and power-gaming portion of my brain.

I'll give it a try:

Phasewalk Modulator - Still very usable on Trenchers, as that's another 20% evasion bonus on them on top of their trenches giving them cover. Defense mode, in comparison, is 25% evasion. This means you can basically have your Trenchers shooting every turn while having a substantial amount of defense bonuses. I'm no fan of Foremen, but they'll benefit from the evasion since they're really squishy. Walking through cover also lets them get in close for punching or in range for their explosive attack much better.

Gravity Pulse Grenade - A good way to give your Trenchers a grenade option, which is of particular value due to Trenchers only needing one action to do pretty much anything.

Phase Drive - Jetpacks, but for vehicles. Unlike Jetpacks, you don't get a free move, but you do have 2 more hexes of range and can teleport with a single action. This means you can teleport heavily-armored stuff like Excavator Tanks right into enemy ranks, and then set everything on fire with their defensive flamers or hit them with a cannon shot from point blank range.

Quantum Avatar - If you want your Excavator Tanks acting as shields for your army instead, put this on them and have your damage dealers parked by it. They'll get 3 extra shields, and anything that hits that blob of mech units will get hosed with by the space-time continuum, leaving them staggered, weak to kinetic damage, and possibly out of cover.

Stasis Pocket Inducer and Void Augmentation - These two shine on repeater attacks (Bulwarks and Barons), as that means more dice rolls for the -1 action point effect and Dimensional Instability debuff to apply. I've mentioned it before, but Flechette Rounds (T1 Firearms mod) has a powerful synergy with Void Augmentation for kinetic repeater shots as both their debuffs (Bleeding and Dimensional Instability) inflict -2 kinetic resistance each, which means that anything fleshy can get torn apart by heavy repeater fire.