Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

It doesn't even keep track of coupon progress after you've gotten one, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Hunter Noventa posted:

It doesn't even keep track of coupon progress after you've gotten one, for that matter.

And any progress will be wiped at the end of the event if you start collecting but don't finish.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Man, I had thought about giving this a go last night because I was done with Final Fantasy stuff for the day but wanted to do some nerdy Trek poo poo, and I downloaded and patched the game. Launching it brought up the Cryptic loading window and the game hit about 30% before it just locked up -- and hard. I tried a few times before forcing it to verify files and it repatched and this time it would load and get to about 70% before it would lock up again. I never even managed to get into the game.

I have absolutely no clue what it could be other than a post from a year ago stating if you had RGB stuff installed on Windows for your mouse/keyboard to uninstall it because it was crashing the game. Considering that's tied to iCue for my mouse/keyboard which controls DPI and stuff, I'd really rather not uninstall it. Outside of that, I've got no clue what it could be because my desktop is well over the limit of powerful enough to run this game.

Alas, my dreams of being a dentist in Starfleet were crushed over the span of 3 hours of troubleshooting. :sigh:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't take part in either of the first parts for the "free T6 ship coupons" and for what it's worth I'm not accumulating any now regardless. Probaby hardwired such that you had to do the first event or you get locked out of future participation.

Not that there is enough time left to get enough tokens anyway so it's a moot point. Thought it was maybe worth noting in case anyone cared.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You're out of luck for the free T6 ship token and the Summer Event ship at this point. They'll probably start up the next T6 ship event before 2020 but it is going to be a separate pool of funbux for sure. The new Sompek Arena is fun because you are inoculated from dorks that want to pretend they can reach an achievement. You autocomplete the current event on wave 7 and you cannot fail, this is prime time for finishing lovely reputations.

The new Voth science ship is really good.

No one listens to in game sound anymore - may as well click something groovy

bij fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 11, 2019

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Can I just say that it's pretty pathetic of the Arc system to cap passwords at 14 characters length?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Potential BFF posted:

You're out of luck for the free T6 ship token and the Summer Event ship at this point. They'll probably start up the next T6 ship event before 2020 but it is going to be a separate pool of funbux for sure. The new Sompek Arena is fun because you are inoculated from dorks that want to pretend they can reach an achievement. You autocomplete the current event on wave 7 and you cannot fail, this is prime time for finishing lovely reputations.

The new Voth science ship is really good.

No one listens to in game sound anymore - may as well click something groovy

No joke I've been listening to Cradle of Filth while playing this. Makes perfect sense to me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Between From The Cradle to Enslave and Her Ghost In The Fog, there are some prime being pissed at life in the early 2000s options with CoF. Salud!

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Sorry to keep asking dumb questions, but I finished what I believe is the Starfleet tutorial and am now clueless as how to get more missions to do. Some guy told me about diplomacy missions, also no clue where to go. Where do I find missions, and is there a mission log telling me where to head?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
From memory press "L" then click on episodes and start playing down the list. You'll hit max level before you finish them all. I think.

Apart from random loot you pick up normally each mission has various rewards. If you particularly like a certain reward (nice gun, armor whatever) then you can always replay that mission and no matter your level the loot will scale up. So replaying those missions at level 40 or 50+ will still give you level appropriate loot. That won't matter much immediately but as you're gearing up for the first time it's a source of free quality starter gear.

There are other additional missions not in the episode list but you'll have to find those by flying over to various star systems and seeing what's available. Mostly they're really old missions that weren't terrible enough to discard during reworks but not good enough to make the "must play" list. As such.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

DancingShade posted:

From memory press "L" then click on episodes and start playing down the list. You'll hit max level before you finish them all. I think.

Apart from random loot you pick up normally each mission has various rewards. If you particularly like a certain reward (nice gun, armor whatever) then you can always replay that mission and no matter your level the loot will scale up. So replaying those missions at level 40 or 50+ will still give you level appropriate loot. That won't matter much immediately but as you're gearing up for the first time it's a source of free quality starter gear.

There are other additional missions not in the episode list but you'll have to find those by flying over to various star systems and seeing what's available. Mostly they're really old missions that weren't terrible enough to discard during reworks but not good enough to make the "must play" list. As such.

Some of the rewards don't scale up completely, some stop at Mk X or Mk XI for some reason.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thanks for the help!

Another question: Which things can I safely recycle? Which should I sell on the exchange? Which stuff should I definitely keep?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
You can safely recycle just about everything. I can't think of anything in the game (that's not a limited-time reward) that you can't rerun an associated mission to get again.

Occasionally, there'll be unique items (like fire extinguishers or rebreathers) that you can only get in the mission, and a bunch of missions have unique rewards (usually, but not always, part of a set). But again, unless it's something that's limited-time-only, you can always rerun the mission to get the time again, or complete the set.

Most of what you'll get from 1-50 is pretty much vendor trash. The later missions (with a probable exception or two that I'm forgetting) are where the good sets are, and your real powerhouse pieces will come from reputations, fleet stores, and lockboxes.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

DancingShade posted:

Wow yeah, you weren't kidding. Did one of those patrol missions and the entirety of the "gameplay" was 1-2 minutes, tops. Beam down to planet, interact with four objects, beam back to ship, mission over. Amazing.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ritznit posted:

Wow yeah, you weren't kidding. Did one of those patrol missions and the entirety of the "gameplay" was 1-2 minutes, tops. Beam down to planet, interact with four objects, beam back to ship, mission over. Amazing.

Nah, he's taking other poo poo besides the patrols. There are some legit episode arcs that didn't make it into the main thing.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Oh yeah I figured it wasn't all gonna be like that. But it's admittedly amusing when I get told "it's stuff that wasn't good enough for the actual episodes" and I happen to try one and yeah it's terrible. :v:

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Ritznit posted:

Oh yeah I figured it wasn't all gonna be like that. But it's admittedly amusing when I get told "it's stuff that wasn't good enough for the actual episodes" and I happen to try one and yeah it's terrible. :v:

You are truly missing out on great content, like recovering the 4 clickable artifacts of the Borg Third Dynasty.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

You are truly missing out on great content, like recovering the 4 clickable artifacts of the Borg Third Dynasty.

Oh god PTSD.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Preechr posted:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Memes/StarTrekOnline

For those who didn't play STO in the earlier days,

TVTropes posted:

The exploration clusters used a randomly-chosen enemy faction for each mini-mission, but with Klingon-sounding dialogue no matter which was chosen. This created a number of amusing situations, such as destroying groups of Borg ships "looking for artifacts from their third dynasty".

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
On that note, how good is the game at removing references to dummied out missions? I got annoyed earlier when Ambassador Sugihara made obvious hints about a diplomatic mission I should do only to find out on the wiki that most of those have been removed. Just curious how often this will happen to me.

And for another dumb question: How does one join one of the goon fleets? My only point of reference for goon multiplayer is Warframe but there, joining the goon clan was extremely helpful and people's tips and gifts got me way quicker and more happily into the game than just going it alone would have. Is it similiar here?

I registered for the wiki already, for what it's worth. For wiki access, please let user Ritznit in.

Ritznit fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Aug 12, 2019

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Post your @handle here, someone will get you in to the fleets and channel.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Sure thing! My handle is @perrydotto#7947

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Ritznit posted:

Sure thing! My handle is @perrydotto#7947

You have a channel invite to TheNextGooneration. Once you’re in, ask someone for a fleet invite.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Preechr posted:

You have a channel invite to TheNextGooneration. Once you’re in, ask someone for a fleet invite.

Done! Thanks a lot.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Story in the NYTimes today about cbs/viacom and paramount merging back together. Will put all the trek IP back under a unified corporate roof.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

hakimashou posted:

Story in the NYTimes today about cbs/viacom and paramount merging back together. Will put all the trek IP back under a unified corporate roof.

I guess thats why we are getting all that stuff from the last kelvin movie now.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

hakimashou posted:

this puts Kurtzman in charge of future Trek movies

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

this puts Kurtzman in charge of future Trek movies

Not without any investment money it won't.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Is there a list of planets visitable in the game outside missions like Andoria, Bajor, Kobali Prime, Risa, Qo'nos, Earth, and New Romulus?

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Aug 14, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

galenanorth posted:

Is there a list of planets visitable in the game outside missions like Andoria, Bajor, Kobali Prime, Risa, Qo'nos, Earth, and New Romulus?

Sure is.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Hubs

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
I've met an annoying amount of NPCs/instructions at this point that are either pointing me to content that's not in the game anymore, or that talk about plotlines that have long since resolved. I know it's a big game and I'm not expecting perfection but this is getting a bit silly, still.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ritznit posted:

I've met an annoying amount of NPCs/instructions at this point that are either pointing me to content that's not in the game anymore, or that talk about plotlines that have long since resolved. I know it's a big game and I'm not expecting perfection but this is getting a bit silly, still.

I also just started recently and been running into this too. Are there actually off duty clothes? Can I look like Jake Sisko????

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Humerus posted:

I also just started recently and been running into this too. Are there actually off duty clothes? Can I look like Jake Sisko????

Yes but you can't access them on your 1st uniform slot. Need to make a new outfit and you can access the off duty options that way.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Yeah of course the off duty clothing is a real thing, because it's a way to make more money. :v:

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://twitter.com/The_ZEFilms/status/1162067480107454465

https://twitter.com/AmbassadorKael/status/1162073525546450944

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Who is ZEF?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who is ZEF?

some "look at me!!!" youtube dipshit i think

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Who is ZEF?

guy who makes demorecord videos

He got good enough at it that Cryptic gives him slightly early access to new ships and basically uses his videos for advertising. He says he does this for free, which seems like kind of a self-own to me because they're certainly making money off it. :capitalism:

E: I'm gonna edit this part out since this isn't a paywalled forum but yeah

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 15, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Was it some random STO player screeching about how the spaceship windows are slightly out of place on some in-game model?

Because dumb as it sounds that used to happen a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DancingShade posted:

Was it some random STO player screeching about how the spaceship windows are slightly out of place on some in-game model?

Because dumb as it sounds that used to happen a lot.
Nah, it's just people getting outraged (and very jealous) after watching an advertisement a video showcasing desirable items available through the game's "surprise mechanic". There was an article written about the "uproar" almost two months ago.