Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Out of curiosity what’s the best direction for me to go at this point? I’ve made it to the centipede miniboss in the gunfort but also heard there’s a dungeon I should go through and the tutorial reservoir should be open as well. Is there a “proper” progression order or does it not matter?

The Centipede boss is blocking one of the "main" branches.

One of the ways to the other main branch is down in the Reservoir right where you started the game. The rest of the Reservoir is optional, but there are two minibosses and material for a shinobi tool there (you need a key to get the shinobi tool).

The Abandoned Dungeon and the area after are probably the easiest ones, and you need to go down that way to obtain the mortal blade. If you can beat that Centipede, you can get another shinobi tool that's useful for this path, but that tool isn't a mandatory-level of required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Everything in the Fountainhead Palace is strange and squishy, and really easy to kill.
It's making me feel really uneasy, like I shouldn't be here. :ohdear:

Also I can't say I was expecting the mask to function that way when you put it back together.
Really, I was hoping it would let me dance. Interesting though.

Now I'm off to apparently to kill a carp for a pot.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
So I had an extremely good run today! I went through abandoned dungeon through senpou's screen monkeys and then went back to centipede buddy through guardian ape and got them all. Not bad for a dude who got poo poo on by drunk, bull and butterfly for hours!

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 15, 2019

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The beginning of sekiro is not designed in a way that is conducive to players learning the game. Your experience was normal, and I'll never know if this was From's master plan somehow.

By comparison Dark Souls 3 throws a very tough first challenge at you, Iudex Gundyr, but he is absolutely representative of how you're intended to play the game. So idk.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's a bit of an unfair comparison because the way you play ds3 well is a lot simpler than playing Sekiro well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Sekiro's difficulty curve is loving terrible and idk what From were thinking. I'm not bad at the game by any stretch of the imagination but I think I died more on some of the early game minibossses than I did in my entire playthrough of bloodborne. To be fair I took a difficult route (straight to seven spears, longswordman and snake eyes after Gyoubu) but still. IMO you should start off with like twice as much HP and three or four gourd chugs.

On the other hand though, the mid and end game are tuned better than any game I've played so it somewhat makes up for it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Same and I love it so much.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

this final boss freakin sucks!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The Divine Realm is very silly place.

Also, I cannot believe there is a third goddamn drunk.
At this rate, I feel like when I finally find the sculptor he's gonna have transformed into an ogre.
Though really, all his talk of rage and fire, nothing good is gonna happen. :ohdear:

SHISHKABOB posted:

Same and I love it so much.

Yeah, I kind of love that the game just throws you into it, and while you can kinda brute force most of the way, the bosses are there to put you to shame, but when the combat finally clicks, it gets real good.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

wyoming posted:

At this rate, I feel like when I finally find the sculptor he's gonna have transformed into an ogre.

well that would just be silly

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ok actually the last boss was not that bad at all

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

romanowski posted:

Congratulations. Do it charmless now. Really changes the game especially on later playthroughs. It's fun.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wyoming posted:

Though really, all his talk of rage and fire, nothing good is gonna happen. :ohdear:

Oh.

Oh no.

You sweet child. You sweet sweet child.

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!

bike tory posted:

Sekiro's difficulty curve is loving terrible and idk what From were thinking. I'm not bad at the game by any stretch of the imagination but I think I died more on some of the early game minibossses than I did in my entire playthrough of bloodborne. To be fair I took a difficult route (straight to seven spears, longswordman and snake eyes after Gyoubu) but still. IMO you should start off with like twice as much HP and three or four gourd chugs

I had a similar route and but went butterfly as my first boss. That was painful especially since I'm dumb and didn't even know how to run in that fight.

Nifft fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 16, 2019

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Ice Fist posted:

Oh.

Oh no.

You sweet child. You sweet sweet child.

It wasn't until I read this that I remembered that Emma said she wanted to be ready to kill a demon, and that Isshin took Orangutan's arm off because of some bloodlust taking over him.
Ooh boy though. I saw people in this thread and others speaking of the demon, I wasn't expecting it to be our grumpy buddy.
Love the design, a nice mix of silly and "oh holy poo poo", haven't seriously tried fighting him yet, did find out Malcontent works on him though!

Also :rip: good guy Badger and that pirate merchant.

Oh, oh, I also love that the monkey's regrouped and took back the serpent shrine.
This game. :allears:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Just clowned the Demon if Hatred on my 8th or 9th try :toot:

Now that I’m feeling cocky, it’s time for me to get my rear end handed to me by the final boss

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

romanowski posted:

yeah he's sweet. NG+ is fun and you don't have to be a psycho to enjoy it, I'd recommend trying it out.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
NG+ is great with all the ninja prosthetics and skills

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Thinking about guardian ape again and a) it was the most fun fight yet b) it’s hilarious that in this grimdark hellscape there’s suddenly this poop infused boss.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got both the serpent viscera last night. I think just about every actual challenge I have left (aside from the ghost mini bosses, rare items, and conversations with the Divine Child) is behind the Guardian Ape, who I made a couple of attempts on last night. I managed to get his first phase down with 2/8 gourd charges remaining, so I idol’d out before he got back up and went to bed.

Is there any specific order I want to do the endings in? What’s a good place to farm money? Anything else I should be looking to do?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

No Wave posted:

yeah he's sweet. NG+ is fun and you don't have to be a psycho to enjoy it, I'd recommend trying it out.

yeah I started it last night and it's fun to tear through the ashina outskirts in ~30 minutes without dying compared to the hours and hours and hundreds of deaths it took in my original playthrough

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I felt so much more skilled when I beat Genichiro with a 6x larger health bar and using five gourd charges. Clearly I'd improved as a player.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Does it not turn the enemy health and damage way up in NG+? Previous From games tried to tune it so that it was harder even accounting for your stronger character. It kinda spoiled me because now I get disappointed whenever a game has no scaling and NG+ just sends an immortal godkiller back to the beginning to oneshot level 1 ladybugs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

NG+ in sekiro scales quite substantially, like 40%. But your character gets like 500% tankier over your NG playthrough so the early game is super easy.

NG+2 is where it starts getting rough, because the enemies go up by 40% again and you've barely scaled at all over the course of your NG+ playthrough.

Sekiro's attack power scaling is wacky, the first 14 boss memories you collect boost your attack power in a huge way but the ones afterwards dont do much. So NG+ is easy, NG+2 onwards is where it gets really rough.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Attack power increase is still noticeable up to 50, that’s where it really drops off. NG++ is definitely harder than NG+, but on the other hand, by that point you have fully upgraded prosthetic and a much more filled out skill tree.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
Beat Juzou over lunch. I feel like the enemies surrounding him have been tuned to be easier (Lowe health and less aggressive AI) than normal enemies, but I could be wrong. I just stealth killed some enemies on the side then ran out and killed a few enemies out in front, made a big loop through the building as Juzou slowly tried to chase me, and killed the remainder of the enemies out front. Juzou lost track of me in the building while I was mopping up the rest of the enemies so when he stopped in the middle of the clearing I was able to stealth attack him from behind and then have the ally NPC help me in attacking him. That made it incredibly easy because Juzou kept switching between me and the NPC without deciding on which of us to attack. Unfortunately the NPC made lived through the battle but died shortly after from Juzou’s poison. Doesn’t anything special happen if he survives?

Also the skill that heals you a small amount for every deathblow is great for conserving healing gourds. Prevents needing to waste a healing item because you just fought through 20 enemies that each only got 1 hit in.

Heading back to the Ashina castle now that Juzou is dead. I feel like the real Sekiro starts here. Weird super natural stuff is starting to show up. And not an “ogre” who is just a big angry dude. Ran into a giant snake and was killed by a headless ghost monster. :ohdear: Also noticed they foreshadowed the snake with a giant discarded piece of snake skin on one of the side paths leading to the ogre.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

There's another enemy after Juzou, I can't tell if you found her.

Breath of Life Light was like the third skill I unlocked and it was a wise decision. Most essential thing besides mikiri counter and its not even close.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The ally just has an unimportant extra line of dialogue if he lives. You didn’t miss anything special.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I got both the serpent viscera last night. I think just about every actual challenge I have left (aside from the ghost mini bosses, rare items, and conversations with the Divine Child) is behind the Guardian Ape, who I made a couple of attempts on last night. I managed to get his first phase down with 2/8 gourd charges remaining, so I idol’d out before he got back up and went to bed.

Is there any specific order I want to do the endings in? What’s a good place to farm money? Anything else I should be looking to do?

One of the four endings (Shura) is mutually exclusive to the other three, and also locks you out of like 1/3 of the game. So I'd recommend doing that one on NG+

The other three are a choice that you get once you beat the final boss, provided you've met the requirements. You can have all three available to you in a single playthrough, although one of them (looking at you, purification ending) is quite easy to miss. If you've unlocked them all you can backup your save once you've beaten the final boss and then go watch all three endings/get the achievement for each without having to play through the whole game again.

The best place to farm money is the first hirata estate memory. Kill all the dudes in the area between the second idol and the two path up to the two shield guys, then pop a wealth balloon and suck up all the money. You'll probably be able to clear it out a second time before your money balloon wears off too and you'll get like 1000-1500sen per clear out. Pop the balloon that increases drops too and you'll get lots of poo poo to sell.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'll also mention that farming money isnt very important if you're religiously buying coin purses. In NG+ you get more money than you can spend so unless you want something asap you're not saving time later by farming now.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

No Wave posted:

There's another enemy after Juzou, I can't tell if you found her.

Breath of Life Light was like the third skill I unlocked and it was a wise decision. Most essential thing besides mikiri counter and its not even close.

I need to go back and find the key. I got to the area with Juzou in a weird way by just sprinting past enemies, falling into the river, climbed out through a tunnel and was at the Idol right before Juzou. There is a huge chunk of the Estate I basically skipped.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's a much smaller chunk than you think, but no harm in waiting.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!

No Wave posted:

It's a much smaller chunk than you think, but no harm in waiting.

If I defeat the last boss of the Estate memory can I still go back to the memory or am I locked out afterwards?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You can always go back.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bike tory posted:

One of the four endings (Shura) is mutually exclusive to the other three, and also locks you out of like 1/3 of the game. So I'd recommend doing that one on NG+

Alternately make a backup of your save file just before the choice that commits you to the endings, do the Shura ending, then reload the save and play on for the final 3 endings. I did Shura on NG+ and the final boss ended up being harder for me than any other boss in the game, and I really wish I'd done it with the difficulty a little bit lower.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

who could imagine getting hugged by emma would be so terrible?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Listerine posted:

Alternately make a backup of your save file just before the choice that commits you to the endings, do the Shura ending, then reload the save and play on for the final 3 endings. I did Shura on NG+ and the final boss ended up being harder for me than any other boss in the game, and I really wish I'd done it with the difficulty a little bit lower.

Agree the Emma/Fire isshin combo is pretty brutal but it felt like a natural progression to me and a decent end game point.

But yeah backup your save on your first playthrough if you have no interest in repeating the first 2/3 of the game on NG1 just to get back to that spot. If you care at all about achievements just note that you'll miss out on the All Bosses one by doing this.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Keep in mind that if you do the Shura ending, you won't be able to get any Lapis Lazuli for the final upgrades of the shinobi tools on that NG cycle, and it takes at least two non-Shura runs to get enough Lapis Lazuli to upgrade all the tools.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Listerine posted:

FWIW it wouldn't really have helped much, I did the Shura ending first and that final boss sequence was still way harder than anything in NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

No Wave posted:

who could imagine getting hugged by emma would be so terrible?

I remember first time I got caught in that grab. It was picturesque because the camera shifted to show the sunset while Sekiro gets thrown in a smooth arc and slammed to the floor.

https://youtu.be/7L_aM8Ljyig

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 17, 2019