Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Alternative pants posted:

I wish I still had the recording, but my high school matching band played Karn Evil as the first part and finale of our marching show my sophomore year. I was unlucky enough to be hit by a car a few weeks into the school year and got volunteered to sing the vocal part while dressed like an actual ring master in our circus themed show.

We also played a piece later that year called Godzilla destroys Las Vegas, so it was pretty hit or miss with music selections at my school.

Did they change the "seven virgins and a mule" line?

Edit: Semi-related, it was years before I realized the actual line in Happy Xmas (War is Over) is "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear" and not "let's all watch some football and have a good cheer" due to elementary school choir.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Aug 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

There's a great interview with Peter serafinowicz where he talks about auditioning for Darth maul. George Lucas sat right behind him in the sound booth while he was reading lines, and when Peter asked him for direction, Lucas just said: "you know, evil. make him sound really evil."

lol
Then you have him doing this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-7NDP8V-6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZnVM3THZSg

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Daikaiju

Just learned about/saw this band tonight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I just watched John Wick 2 a couple of weeks ago and I had the absolute biggest grin on my face during his scene, in no small part because of Kitchen Gun (but also because Peter Serafinowicz is a comedy legend)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
It's funny how things from your childhood sneak up on you. Yesterday I realized, out of the blue, that the wave of concern about "latchkey kids" in the late 80s and early 90s was actually conservative anti-feminist rhetoric. "If those drat women would just stay in the kitchen where they belong instead of getting jobs, these kids wouldn't be home alone."

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Hell yeah, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. My old band opened for them years and years ago and they blew us out of the water. They've been touring constantly in total obscurity for almost 20 years; definitely see them if you get a chance.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Lester Shy posted:

Hell yeah, one of the best live bands I've ever seen. My old band opened for them years and years ago and they blew us out of the water. They've been touring constantly in total obscurity for almost 20 years; definitely see them if you get a chance.

Yeah that show was awesome! Crazy good performers.. and fire!

This happened at the end of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8o0s3I8Fn4

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Besesoth posted:

It's funny how things from your childhood sneak up on you. Yesterday I realized, out of the blue, that the wave of concern about "latchkey kids" in the late 80s and early 90s was actually conservative anti-feminist rhetoric. "If those drat women would just stay in the kitchen where they belong instead of getting jobs, these kids wouldn't be home alone."

gotta control the narrative early before people start talking about free/subsidised child care

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"wow holy poo poo, why can't we afford childcare even with two incomes?"

"yeah these sluts leaving the home are a real problem"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Besesoth posted:

It's even worse because conservative governments wanted women to work to double the available pool of workers and keep wages down. They then did this to make sure they felt like poo poo for it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

hawowanlawow posted:

gotta control the narrative early before people start talking about free/subsidised child care

My fiancee works at a Step Up to Quality 5 Star (highest rating you can get) center. She thinks it's $200/week for at least one of the age groups. She makes less than $10/hr

Childcare is a loving racket.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.
holiday

Old English hāligdæg ‘holy day’.

:doh:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cyberbug posted:

holiday

Old English hāligdæg ‘holy day’.

:doh:
I'm surprised you needed to know the Old English to figure that out. Wait till you learn about "breakfast"...

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Hirayuki posted:

I'm surprised you needed to know the Old English to figure that out.

It's definitely attested as recently as early modern English as holy-day.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Hirayuki posted:

I'm surprised you needed to know the Old English to figure that out. Wait till you learn about "breakfast"...

..... Go on.....

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leon Sumbitches posted:

..... Go on.....
You didn't eat while you were asleep? You better break that fast.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Check this out:

In Swedish, the word for 'same/similar' is 'samma', i.e. to say 'the same' you say 'detsamma'.

And the verb to live/reside is 'bor', e.g. I live in Sweden is 'Jag bor i Sverige'. Also, it's common to drop the r, so it sounds similar to 'boh'

Therefore, the Swedish word for a live-in partner, or a person you share a flat with is regrettably 'Sambo'.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Samovar posted:

Check this out:

In Swedish, the word for 'same/similar' is 'samma', i.e. to say 'the same' you say 'detsamma'.

And the verb to live/reside is 'bor', e.g. I live in Sweden is 'Jag bor i Sverige'. Also, it's common to drop the r, so it sounds similar to 'boh'

Therefore, the Swedish word for a live-in partner, or a person you share a flat with is regrettably 'Sambo'.

It's also a very common slang term for a sandwich in Ireland - I know I brought my sambos with me to school every day!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pookah posted:

It's also a very common slang term for a sandwich in Ireland - I know I brought my sambos with me to school every day!

It's not even easier to say.

Might as well just go sam.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Beachcomber posted:

It's not even easier to say.

Might as well just go sam.

I know, it makes no real sense but it's the same pattern as how most name-based nicknames in Dublin are basically first syllable plus o, like Anthony = Anto, Damien = Damo, Phil = Philo, Ray = Rayo

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Pookah posted:

I know, it makes no real sense but it's the same pattern as how most name-based nicknames in Dublin are basically first syllable plus o, like Anthony = Anto, Damien = Damo, Phil = Philo, Ray = Rayo

So the opposite of Irish last names.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Beachcomber posted:

So the opposite of Irish last names.

:aaaaa:

...Yeah, pretty much.

On a sort of related note, I used to know a girl from a former soviet country (Lithuania, I think) who had two entirely different first names - one was her 'official' name which was Russian, and the other was her actual name, which was Lithuanian, and which was illegal at the time of her birth because of cultural repression.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 15:33 on Aug 16, 2019

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pookah posted:

Where does the b come from then

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

purple death ray posted:

Where does the b come from then

Borrowed from Siobhan

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Tsaedje posted:

Borrowed from Siobhan

or Meadhbh - god knows, she'll never notice.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alternative pants posted:

We also played a piece later that year called Godzilla destroys Las Vegas, so it was pretty hit or miss with music selections at my school.

My college concert band did that piece, the percussion parts are fun because it has you running back and forth between different instruments like you're operating artillery.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The base in BASE jumping is an acromyn, and I might not be able to spell acronym:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I didn't know that either and it's a very interesting subject. Thank you.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bad Adea, poo poo, 'elp!

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

My Shoes posted:

Daikaiju

Just learned about/saw this band tonight.

They’re fantastic and every show seems to end up on the sidewalk with poo poo on fire.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Pneub posted:

The base in BASE jumping is an acromyn, and I might not be able to spell acronym:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASE_jumping

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

CaptainBeefart posted:

They’re fantastic and every show seems to end up on the sidewalk with poo poo on fire.

Got video of that!

check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8o0s3I8Fn4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ted McGinley ≠ John C. McGinley.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Idris Elba and Ira Glass aren't even remotely the same person.

Their only similarities are "male, first name starts with 'I', I don't know any of their work", and that was enough for me to confuse them. I was hearing someone talk about Idris Elba in an action movie and I was thinking "isn't that that softly spoken American radio guy? I wonder why he's in an action movie..."

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ira Glass is just Idris Elba with glasses, the classic Superman disguise.

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
I just realized how much farther east South America is, relative to North America. Blew my mind to find out that Chile, despite being on the Pacific Ocean is farther east than Florida.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Chorrax posted:

I just realized how much farther east South America is, relative to North America. Blew my mind to find out that Chile, despite being on the Pacific Ocean is farther east than Florida.

There is also basically nothing but ocean between Antarctica and Iceland.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Latitudes are what mess me up, probably because I’m in the US. Like how Chicago and Rome are basically the same latitude. Or Kansas City and Ibiza.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rollersnake posted:

Did they change the "seven virgins and a mule" line?

Edit: Semi-related, it was years before I realized the actual line in Happy Xmas (War is Over) is "Let's hope it's a good one, without any fear" and not "let's all watch some football and have a good cheer" due to elementary school choir.

It was arranged so we never even got to that verse. We also changed "greatest show in heav'n, hell or earth" to "greatest show, the greatest show on earth" and then right into the keyboard breakdown and the "come and see the show, come and see the show..." section.

Found it!

Alternative pants has a new favorite as of 12:32 on Aug 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Brie Larson is not Alison Brie.

Brie cheese is still good but we all knew that already.