Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
is that the horizon sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

There better be a release date for Untitled Goose Game in this direct, Nintendo.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Silksong release date please

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beastie posted:

Makes me want Doom but I’m not paying $60.

I just checked the (US) Amazon price history and apparently the lowest DooM has gone is ~$45, which is pretty surprising.

I bet Bethesda puts it on sale around the DooM Eternal release date.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got all my poo poo ready to go but decided to take a peek on GameStop’s website and apparently none of the GS around here have Switches in stock. Guess it’s making calls time tomorrow to hunt for a new one.

Call your store. My local one said they had no new switches on the website. They actually had multiple in both color options.

I think their inventory is a bit broken

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

asecondduck posted:

I just checked the (US) Amazon price history and apparently the lowest DooM has gone is ~$45, which is pretty surprising.

I bet Bethesda puts it on sale around the DooM Eternal release date.

It's gone on sale on the eShop for $30 a few times.

It's the best single player FPS on the console and they know it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheScott2K posted:

It's the best single player FPS on the console and they know it.

It was until they put Doom out on the Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dammit, I want Mario Maker 2 update news :argh:

Maybe they'll squeeze some of that in there? Maybe? :ohdear:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Dammit, I want Mario Maker 2 update news :argh:

Maybe they'll squeeze some of that in there? Maybe? :ohdear:

I’d still be surprised if we don’t get a real direct in Sep.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I used my Pro Controller with my computer and now it's glowing blue around the home button even when disconnected. How do I stop it?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

asecondduck posted:

There better be a release date for Untitled Goose Game in this direct, Nintendo.

Switch version comes with a skin that makes it Untitled Groose Game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the only indie game I need updates on is The Ninja Warriors Once Again to confirm it's actually coming this month

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Procrastine posted:

I used my Pro Controller with my computer and now it's glowing blue around the home button even when disconnected. How do I stop it?

It has a virus now. I hope you're happy.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Procrastine posted:

TheScott2K posted:

It has a virus now. I hope you're happy.

you can cure it by playing Dr Mario twice daily for 10 days

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Getting "quietly cancelled" vibes from that Grid Autosport port we were getting

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Getting "quietly cancelled" vibes from that Bayonetta 3/Metroid Prime 4 we were getting

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Awesome! But I'm gonna probably miss it...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the level design in Turok 2 is so loving bad and confusing. I'm only 3 levels in and I have no idea where to go

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I called GS this morning to check on the new Switches and Claptrap answered and told me to preorder Borderlands 3 and now I hate everything.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Procrastine posted:

I'm guessing you had Steam running?

AFAIK Nintendo themselves never use the Home light on the ocntrollers, but they're there, and Steam uses it as an indication that it can talk to / recognize the Pro controller, but it doesn't automatically shut off when you disconnect it.

Just turn the controller off (press the tiny button near the usb port).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I ordered my first Limited Run Games title! Turok! Yeah, I could spend all my Nintendo coins and buy it for $1 digitally, but the nostalgia is strong with this one.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I called GS this morning to check on the new Switches and Claptrap answered and told me to preorder Borderlands 3 and now I hate everything.

Pro tip for anyone calling about switches, which you should do, as mentioned, the online inventory is often wrong, when claptrap answers, press 1 to just get dumped to the store call queue where you don't have to listen to 2 minutes of shouting robot from the one game that managed to make shouting robots annoying

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Online is wrong as in "They say they are out but actually have them" or "They say they have them but are actually out"? Or both?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chin Strap posted:

Online is wrong as in "They say they are out but actually have them" or "They say they have them but are actually out"? Or both?

Maybe both? My store was listed as having no new switches, but actually had multiples of both color scheme in the new red box version. I didn't call the other stores once I found one close by

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
when I bought an OG switch two years ago the Gamestop employees told me they get shipments basically every single morning and generally don't know what is on them til they arrive, so if you give them a call each day you might get lucky

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

when I bought an OG switch two years ago the Gamestop employees told me they get shipments basically every single morning and generally don't know what is on them til they arrive, so if you give them a call each day you might get lucky

They were lying about not knowing what is in them. They have access to shipping manifests of what's coming in a few days ahead. They might not know exactly when it's gonna come in, but they definitely know what's in each individual box.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I found this video which breaks down the differences between the Switch models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHZ7Sz1-wY

Summary: In addition to the known battery and cooler running temp changes, the new model has a slightly higher max brightness, and a warmer color screen (7500K old vs 6500K new).

Seems like a pretty nice upgrade with the Gamestop trade in deal.

Edit: He even takes apart the joycons to compare internals. Looks like the stick is a completely different model, so here's hoping the drift issue is no longer a problem.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 16, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

HenryEx posted:

I'm guessing you had Steam running?

AFAIK Nintendo themselves never use the Home light on the ocntrollers, but they're there, and Steam uses it as an indication that it can talk to / recognize the Pro controller, but it doesn't automatically shut off when you disconnect it.

Just turn the controller off (press the tiny button near the usb port).

I didn't use Steam, that's the weird part.

After spending too long trying to press the tiny button to the left of the port and not having anything happen, I found out the sync button (the slightly larger button to the right of the port) is the one that turns off the controller. What's the tiny button for then?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ragequit posted:

I found this video which breaks down the differences between the Switch models:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHZ7Sz1-wY

Summary: In addition to the known battery and cooler running temp changes, the new model has a slightly higher max brightness, and a warmer color screen (7500K old vs 6500K new).

Seems like a pretty nice upgrade with the Gamestop trade in deal.

So it has the improved battery and nothing else of note?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

I added a note about the different JoyCon stick. Closer to true color as well, which would better match what developers want you to see.

But yeah of course the battery is the biggest thing and heavily advertised.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The screen temp is a big deal if you're the type who notices color temp. The color reproduction is more accurate.

Also thank god for the fact that amfilm gives you two screen protectors. I used my second one on the new switch and was a lot more careful this time. Installed it in a steamed up bathroom, used all the cleaning wipes, etc. Perfect, no dust, no bubbles. Thanks amfilm!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RandomFerret posted:

You'll never use up 32 gigs of save files. Even dragon quest builders only takes one gigabyte, and it's saving the position of every single block in the world. You can fit a ton of games into those 32 gigs and there's no reason not to
NBA 2K18 and 2K19 both take 5 GB for save file, per-user. So if you're a big NBA fan you're going to run out quick.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The screen temp is a big deal if you're the type who notices color temp. The color reproduction is more accurate.

Also thank god for the fact that amfilm gives you two screen protectors. I used my second one on the new switch and was a lot more careful this time. Installed it in a steamed up bathroom, used all the cleaning wipes, etc. Perfect, no dust, no bubbles. Thanks amfilm!

+1 on amfilm, I still have one left from the pack I bought for my launch unit and will be def using it on the 2.0 model

On that note, anything I need to do other than dessociating my old switch as primary before trading up? All the games I care about have cloud saves uploaded already!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Andrast posted:

That's about it. But it is nice to refresh the hardware. You forget how much nicer these things are right out of the box. Plus fresh new batter, and a warranty refresh. I found it was worth the $75.

I bought a pack of those AMFilm screen protectors for my girlfriend with her Switch for Christmas so I'll be grabbing the second one today.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Ragequit posted:

I added a note about the different JoyCon stick. Closer to true color as well, which would better match what developers want you to see.

But yeah of course the battery is the biggest thing and heavily advertised.

Allegedly a different stick. I saw a breakdown where there is a different revision but the same materials generally speaking. It may just be slightly thicker because the claw machine that moves the box from one station to another can move more units if it isn't so small.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

At this pint there are some pretty well known and fairly serious things that can go wrong with launch-era switches. All launch switches are now out of warranty, so fixing their issues will be more than $75.

Spending $75 gets you a new switch with none of those issues, a bigger battery, a better, brighter screen, better cooling, different (maybe fixed, maybe not) joycons and a brand new Nintendo warranty. Not a hard sell

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah but it is a little bit of a hassle doing all that account stuff

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'd rather spend the money on a new game or two but it's nice that the hardware refresh seems good

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The account stuff was pretty painless. The only snag I ran switching to a new one just now was that the new model needed a system update prior to letting me transfer the account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

^^^mine too. Weird that they aren’t shipping on the latest firmware

Andrast posted:

I'd rather spend the money on a new game or two but it's nice that the hardware refresh seems good

Right, if my Switch didn’t have a swollen battery, delaminating screen and basically dead WiFi I wouldn’t have traded it either, and I’d have saved the $75.

Weirdly I never had joycon drift though.

My thought was if any of those listed problems become a real problem and actually break the switch, it’s trade value drops to next to nothing. It’s a $75 insurance policy if you have a release-era Switch with some release-era problems.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 16, 2019