Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GoodBee posted:

I'm assuming that's a playformer. I suck at platformers. I'm not opposed to platformer demos though.

I think Breath of the Wild and Fire Emblem are two games out now that I'm most interested in. Link's Awakening comes out close to DQ XI and I think I'm more interested in DQ XI.

I think I want some demos or I might wait until DQ XI comes out to play a full game.

Can’t go wrong with either of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Officially a Switch owner now! :woop: Oddly enough my local Target was fully stocked with both "red" and original boxes. I asked for a red one and grabbed a Nintendo online card too (the Target credit card took 5% off the online code too in case anyone was wondering... wasn't sure if that would work since it could be considered a gift card of sorts).

So if I plan to use a microSD card, I should get that first before really setting things up, is that right? I should have one in hand tomorrow so it's no biggie if I'm better off waiting.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Outer Worlds
Death Stranding
DOOM Eternal
Pokemon Sword/Shield
Shenmue 3
Jedi Fallen order

All within 1 month of each other.

:rip: my free time :rip:

Yeah also if you’re a huge dork like me, new Modern Warfare.

But regardless oh man I’m so excited for Doom 2016 part two.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minidust posted:

Officially a Switch owner now! :woop: Oddly enough my local Target was fully stocked with both "red" and original boxes. I asked for a red one and grabbed a Nintendo online card too (the Target credit card took 5% off the online code too in case anyone was wondering... wasn't sure if that would work since it could be considered a gift card of sorts).

So if I plan to use a microSD card, I should get that first before really setting things up, is that right? I should have one in hand tomorrow so it's no biggie if I'm better off waiting.

You don’t need to wait. There’s 32GB of storage built in that you can also use. The SD will just add to it once you pop it in.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s 32GB of storage built in that you can also use.
Sure, but that's the only storage that can be used for game saves, so it's best to leave it alone and install everything after inserting an SD card.

If you do install games before having a SD card you can archive and redownload fhem after inserting a cart to move the contents over.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Im just starting FF 12 over again since when it was first released on PS2. Im getting a little lost in the weeds reading all these FAQs about what job is best for who. I have also read that this version is easier than the first one I played. I know I can respec whenever.. so is it worth stressing about what jobs and skills that I select for each character or is just selecting what I think looks cool good enough to get me through without feeling that I missed anything?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GoodBee posted:

So if the Switch Lite is released on 9/20 and DQ XI is released on 9/27, what should I do for that week?
Link's Awakening.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

loudog999 posted:

Im just starting FF 12 over again since when it was first released on PS2. Im getting a little lost in the weeds reading all these FAQs about what job is best for who. I have also read that this version is easier than the first one I played. I know I can respec whenever.. so is it worth stressing about what jobs and skills that I select for each character or is just selecting what I think looks cool good enough to get me through without feeling that I missed anything?

Don't stress at all.
You can sleepwalk through a lot of the game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

How was this game?
Super good

it gets one of the most important things of a 3d platformer right in that the controls are super satisfying, just running and jumping and dashing around feels great

also the soundtrack is amazing

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Inzombiac posted:

Don't stress at all.
You can sleepwalk through a lot of the game.

Ok good, Im enjoying the game so far.. my mistake was peeking into all the faqs saying my party was all wrong. Is there anything I should look out for that would gently caress me later on, for example I read about some Genji equipment I should have but haven't seen where I get it yet.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Sure, but that's the only storage that can be used for game saves, so it's best to leave it alone and install everything after inserting an SD card.

If you do install games before having a SD card you can archive and redownload fhem after inserting a cart to move the contents over.

You'll never use up 32 gigs of save files. Even dragon quest builders only takes one gigabyte, and it's saving the position of every single block in the world. You can fit a ton of games into those 32 gigs and there's no reason not to

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 16, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loudog999 posted:

Ok good, Im enjoying the game so far.. my mistake was peeking into all the faqs saying my party was all wrong. Is there anything I should look out for that would gently caress me later on, for example I read about some Genji equipment I should have but haven't seen where I get it yet.

You're not going to get the genji gear unless you look it up tbh

also you shouldn't look it up because all that stuff is tedious

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

RandomFerret posted:

You'll never use up 32 gigs of save files. Even dragon quest builders only takes one megabyte, and it's saving the position of every single block in the world. You can fit a ton of games into those 32 gigs and there's no reason not to

There is one exception to this that I know of, Skyrim, which has save files that can range from a few hundred megabytes to over a gigabyte, also all the console versions still have tons of crash bugs and bugs that corrupt your save file, great stuff. Bethesda never disappoints.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

has Ultimate Alliance gotten any good updates yet? Kinda wanna use a voucher

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Andrast posted:

You're not going to get the genji gear unless you look it up tbh

also you shouldn't look it up because all that stuff is tedious

Ok thanks again, Im just going to continue blind and maybe revisit in the future with a guide.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

has Ultimate Alliance gotten any good updates yet? Kinda wanna use a voucher

i’m really sad i bought that game. needs like a jillion updates.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Minecraft worlds are about 500MB & DQB2 saves are a whopping 1GB on the Switch. Someone somewhere is going to somehow use up the drives in saves eventually but they and the 5 other people who manage to do it will just have to delete something lol.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

How bad is the new Wolfenstein game? I really, really enjoyed the previous games in the series, and I have a long haul flight coming up that I need to plan for.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It is very bad, assuming you're using early nineties slang

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

an actual cat irl posted:

How bad is the new Wolfenstein game? I really, really enjoyed the previous games in the series, and I have a long haul flight coming up that I need to plan for.

It's strongly coop focused so not really a game you'd want to play on a plane. It seems to be okay but pretty mediocre compared to the previous ones, especially in the story department.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

From what I've seen it sucks rear end and takes a giant steaming dump on everything the modern Wolfenstein games tried to build. Also that was from a review I read of the PC version, not the Switch port so it's not a technical limitations issue.

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

drat, that's disappointing.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Grandia HD comes out tomorrow. Is it tomorrow yet? I remember liking the first one, can't remember a thing about the second game.

Also :wtc: is this poo poo:

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1160464599734296577

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jet Jaguar posted:

Grandia HD comes out tomorrow. Is it tomorrow yet? I remember liking the first one, can't remember a thing about the second game.

What the gently caress? So they're cryptomining via people's Switches?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Cryptomining is better on the Switch after all.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GoodBee posted:

So if the Switch Lite is released on 9/20 and DQ XI is released on 9/27, what should I do for that week? There's a good sized backlog of games I'm interested in playing but there's also the fun of playing a new game at release. Maybe less for DQ XI since it's been released on other consoles a year ago.

I don't think any of the games I'm interested in playing can be finished or substantially completed in one weekend. Maybe I should play demos for a week until DQ XI hits?

buy Black Bird....half off

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jet Jaguar posted:

What the poo poo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Jet Jaguar posted:

Can't wait to play it five years from now when the blockchain is a 175gb upload to prove my copy is real.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Jet Jaguar posted:

So, this is some high-grade marketing-speak going on here. I can feel my leverage synergizing into a paradigm shift as I write. Y'all gotta understand that 99% of the time when a marketer uses the word "blockchain", they have no clue what it means or what you use it for. It's a buzzword, plain and simple.

Looking at the list of features there I have no idea what they actually did that's new or warrants the use of that term, either:
  • "Unique Blockchain Private-Keys": So you're saying each copy of the game has a unique ID. This is not new, this has nothing to do with blockchains.
  • "Private-Key Enabled Balanced DRM": That phrase means nothing and they don't explain what it means. Best-case, I can speculate that this is some sort of scheme where you can transfer ownership of your copy to someone else by re-registering it and invalidating the previous owner's claim to it, and this fact is recorded in the chain. Okay, but again, being able to sell your copy of a game to someone else is not something that should require a complicated buzzword scheme. We've been able to resell (physical) games for decades. Digital resale would be nice, but they don't explain how that works.
  • "Enhanced Multiplayer Experience with Dual Expression": The game is slightly randomized based on your unique game ID. Again, nothing new, and nothing to do with blockchain. It's just taking a number and using it to seed an RNG. Note how the words used to describe this are just nonsense and not explained.
  • "Securing Online Events": Tracking player participation of promotions is something we've been doing happily server-side for decades, again, and none of this has anything to do with blockchain algorithms nor are improved by them.
  • "Digital Assets, Rewards, Recognition": Again, this is just "having an online account".

Lotta marketingspeak for nothing new.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jet Jaguar posted:

Oh that one gets better; They're promising something on the investor side in regard to this, so chances are you're farming MamaCoin for people who aren't you by playing.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Is the GameStop $225 store credit or cash? Like if I can't find any new ones at GameStop can I pick one up somewhere else first.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Chin Strap posted:

Is the GameStop $225 store credit or cash? Like if I can't find any new ones at GameStop can I pick one up somewhere else first.

Credit. You can request cash at a slight penalty. I think it knocks it back down to 200 from what I’ve seen.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's pretty fun unless you're 100% averse to numbers and levelling in shooters, it is co-op focused but perfectly playable in single player and there's a patch coming soon to address the biggest issues (no pause in single player, not enough checkpoints) and the sisters are cool. No idea how the Switch version works though.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

i got this downloaded and the music sounds better but i got no option to skip the login or turn it off completely.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sakurazuka posted:

It's pretty fun unless you're 100% averse to numbers and levelling in shooters, it is co-op focused but perfectly playable in single player and there's a patch coming soon to address the biggest issues (no pause in single player, not enough checkpoints) and the sisters are cool. No idea how the Switch version works though.

Pretty neat. A little muddy but you’ve got a AAA shooter. Gyro aiming owns.

Everything this poster said is correct. It’s good poo poo for $30.

Makes me want Doom but I’m not paying $60.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Vikar Jerome posted:

i got this downloaded and the music sounds better but i got no option to skip the login or turn it off completely.

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1162049362517725184

Programming is hard.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1162333181720371200

We're having a indie direct next week!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Programming is hard.

convincing product managers to let go of career-furthering ideas is harder.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Indies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Give me my New Horizons direct you cowards.