Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I understand, but I've gotten joy out of God Eater 1, surely I can do the same with a weird FF game featuring child soldiers.

Thanks!

I played God Eater 1 and enjoyed it.

I played Type 0 and enjoyed some of it, and the ending parts wiped any good will I had towards it away.

Do not play Type 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Get Last Remnant HD instead.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MonsieurChoc posted:

Get Last Remnant HD instead.

I have it and I enjoy it, though I need to return and keep playing it

BisbyWorl posted:

I played God Eater 1 and enjoyed it.

I played Type 0 and enjoyed some of it, and the ending parts wiped any good will I had towards it away.

Do not play Type 0.

If it helps any, I'm gonna wait until it's on sale next to pick it up, then we'll see if I get into it or not. Some trainwrecks I have to see for myself. (e.g. all of FF13. Ask me to describe the plot in that game and I cannot tell you much beyond "lesbians save the world in a deus ex machina I didn't mind, somehow")

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
FF13 was good though.

Any worthwhile DNA from Type 0 made it into 15 and the rest is desperately trying to be Persona's VN parts and failing, and trying to juggle grinding so you don't end up in a mission with 5 level 5 idiots. I almost liked it but its really hard to recommend giving it the time of day now that 15 is out and good.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

zedprime posted:

FF13 was good though.

Any worthwhile DNA from Type 0 made it into 15 and the rest is desperately trying to be Persona's VN parts and failing, and trying to juggle grinding so you don't end up in a mission with 5 level 5 idiots. I almost liked it but its really hard to recommend giving it the time of day now that 15 is out and good.

13 was a fascinating train-wreck melodrama. I liked the visuals, the combat, the lesbians, Sazh. The rest of it was just.... I had trouble caring? Which was frustrating, because I want to care!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
don't listen to these people Type-0 is fun and the story is probably best if you don't think about it too much. you're never going to not know it's a mobile game though, and there's like one creep-o side quest that you probably want to ignore but it becomes apparent that the guy is a creep so

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

StrixNebulosa posted:

13 was a fascinating train-wreck melodrama. I liked the visuals, the combat, the lesbians, Sazh. The rest of it was just.... I had trouble caring? Which was frustrating, because I want to care!

I mean that's already more to care about than a bunch of other FFs imo. Don't forget it still has great music

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

13 was a fascinating train-wreck melodrama.

I think 13 is the one game that no matter the point of view I can't get it. I can sort of understand liking the other ones that iterated on the combat system and gave you more to do with it but I think other than the battle theme FF13 is my least favorite game at its price and budget range that I ever played and I think it's the only FF I played from which I could derive no joy.

Even the things that got me reasonably excited seemed to be there only to mock me. "Oh look that giant moving past the mountains, that's the first enemy that I think I want to beat." Oh, it's a puzzle.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
FF13 is at least a fun speed game to watch, with a bunch of additional game mechanics that a lot of people don't know about (ATB refresh, for example). I posted a link to this video in the previous thread but tedious nerd humor aside it's probably the most enjoyable way to experience FF13. The runners give good explanations for the mechanics they utilize, and the story is so incoherent that you're not missing much of anything from all the cutscenes being skipped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS62Ep11ebI

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Is there anyone who still doesn't know about ATB refresh

It keeps getting brought up as "the one thing that no one knows when they play the game", but because everyone keeps saying it even the newer players to FF13 I've seen knew this stuff if they weren't complete casuals. Just sorta a weird thing that people keep saying.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I still hate FF13, but it was an interesting experiment in essentially breaking the fights away from direct action control to Role control. And some of the end-game fights really did ask for high execution, and yeah it's a good speed game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Local tough mom exposes one weird FFXIII ATB trick

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ventana posted:

Is there anyone who still doesn't know about ATB refresh

It keeps getting brought up as "the one thing that no one knows when they play the game", but because everyone keeps saying it even the newer players to FF13 I've seen knew this stuff if they weren't complete casuals. Just sorta a weird thing that people keep saying.

I got a platinum on the drat game without using it

I also got the game before street date and I was in between university and getting a job though, so I played a LOT. I think I beat the actual game before street date and a lot of stuff was just inaccurate early on from an info point of view. Can’t believe the game is almost 10 years old

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

Did ya see the Steelguard?

XIIi has things I like about it such as the cast and music and a few chapters like Eden Under Siege. However it's storytelling is more hosed than any other game in the series since in order to focus on the cast they seemed to deem it necessary to not give us a single other developed character. Combined with there being absolutely nothing to do in the game except fight. and me not really liking the battle system to begin with, it's not a game I can ever recommend without a lot of qualifiers or warnings about what you're getting into.

Orphan is still the hardest final boss in the series IMO. I never beat it without Poison which is so crazy broken in XIII.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7dOOy8kBJY

Did ya see the Steelguard?

XIIi has things I like about it such as the cast and music and a few chapters like Eden Under Siege. However it's storytelling is more hosed than any other game in the series since in order to focus on the cast they seemed to deem it necessary to not give us a single other developed character. Combined with there being absolutely nothing to do in the game except fight. and me not really liking the battle system to begin with, it's not a game I can ever recommend without a lot of qualifiers or warnings about what you're getting into.

Orphan is still the hardest final boss in the series IMO. I never beat it without Poison which is so crazy broken in XIII.

I beat Orphan on the first try just doing the same kind of paradigm switching I'd done for most of the game. :stare: Definitely thought Saiyan Vayne or the multi team Sephiroth battle seemed harder.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure how else you're supposed to do it. It regularly uses instakill attacks that you have no countermeasures for.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think Zeromus in IV DS gave me some trouble but so did half of the bosses in that game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm not sure how else you're supposed to do it. It regularly uses instakill attacks that you have no countermeasures for.

You can boost your resistance with accessories quite a bit

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sapozhnik posted:

The attack prioritizes sentinels and medics, so it's pretty easy to deal with that as long as the party leader isn't always in one of those.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
what if you don't want to have to have one of those two roles in your party at all times

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Unless you're not using those roles at all you're probably still ok? Rip you if you're doing a challenge run I guess, but it seriously shouldn't be much of a problem.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

My quest to get every Job on every character to Level 99 on Final Fantasy 3DS has been trucking along at a decent pace, but I'm looking forward to decimating the rest of the game, beating Iron Giant, and washing my hands of the whole thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

what if you don't want to have to have one of those two roles in your party at all times

I mean, yeah, you can do a challenge run I guess.

Orphan is decently easy to chump, theres an achievement tied to it afterall.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I freely admit I might just be really bad at FFXIII. Even on my second run where I thought I was so much better than the first time I played i was stuck on Bart 2 for a billion years until I used up all my grinded CP to teach extra Roles to Snow and maybe somebody else. I know you don't need extra Roles for the main game but I was so completely stuck.

Of course I had no way of knowing Orphan's Death spell targeted healers and I think I might have been controlling Vanille so oh well. If I ever have nothing better to do in my life than play FFXIII a third time, and O also want to get a really bad ending so I play through the entire game, I'll keep it in mind. XIII is a game I could probably justify enjoying up to Pulse and then quitting.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Self-aware brands are usually very bad but this, this is good:

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1161261369456517122

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Veib posted:

GIVE US A DATE GOD DAMNIT.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Veib posted:

That's just fantastic.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Veib posted:

He sure is!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i know the FF8 remaster is probably going to just be the base game with no extra features

but i would reaaaaally love to be able to costume switch and keep the seed uniform on. or heck the garden uniform too

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Veib posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexRE_64/status/1161266678585593856

Caros
May 14, 2008

Booourns posted:

Final Fantasy 6 is a very very broken game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_24gCopAk2w
This run involves stealing a door timer from that place you get Relm from in the WoR which allows for some crazy poo poo to happen

Is it weird to feel pity for a videogame? I feel like it didn't deserve this level of abuse.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/LordBalvin/status/1161819913939562496

ok i've decided not to go to the distant worlds gimmick

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
just got The Zodiac Age and I can't remember the weirdness around turning in bazaar items. am I supposed to hoard them forever and turn them all in at once near the end or turn stuff in as I go?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

just got The Zodiac Age and I can't remember the weirdness around turning in bazaar items. am I supposed to hoard them forever and turn them all in at once near the end or turn stuff in as I go?

Just turn them in as you go. The only thing youd want to hoard items for the items are very late game and very rare that youll be grinding on purpose for them.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Super No Vacancy posted:

https://twitter.com/LordBalvin/status/1161819913939562496

ok i've decided not to go to the distant worlds gimmick

yoko no!!!!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

morallyobjected posted:

Don't sell the Great Serpentskin, since you can use it for a side quest.

If you're really tryhard, also don't sell Gemsteel and Empyreal Soul when Montblanc gives you one each, since you need 3 each for the Tournesol.

Beyond that, sell early and often.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

morallyobjected posted:

The trick is that item turn ins can count for multiple recipes if you complete the recipes at the same time. Again, this really only applies to late game stuff that you'll be farming specifically for anyways, but it is important to know since it ultimately means less grinding.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
PSA: ultimate equipment in FF12 is barely better than the runner ups. They don't have any super cool properties like in FFV/VI. Just hit things with whatever the best stick you can buy is and you'll be happier.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

But...the tournesol looks so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Help Im Alive posted:

But...the tournesol looks so cool

Do it if you really want to.

I got Deneb's secret class in Tactics Ogre. Farm for love.