Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

I wouldn't mind it if reactions were randomized, or were reactions to attacks only, or something like that. Letting a character break the game's own rules by giving it off-turn actions after every enemy action, though, is pretty bullshit.

It reacts to actions that take an action point now that are in LOS (or something like that), except reloading - so gunslingers can take potshots, you can reload, etc.

The new Skrimisher class gets an ability that temporarily allows them to have Ruler Reactions too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonto
Aug 8, 2007

Honey!?
Assassin's Creed : Odyssey is a surprisingly good game. Lots of quests, decent combat system and plenty to explore and discover. The game focuses on making sure you always have the best armour rating closest to your level - so you're spending a significant amount of time regularly changing your armour to boost your armour rating.

It has a feature that lets you customise the look of your armour, so that you don't look like someone has just thrown random armour at a chiselled Greek man. HOWEVER, EVERY time you change said armour you have to REAPPLY the aesthetic customisation. It has gotten so frustrating that I've all but given up on the system and now I look like a Frankenstein's monster of different armour styles.

It also has one of these annoying "mouse-control" menu navigations - which annoy me anyway, exacerbated by the fact that there's an annoying glowing exclamation point over your inventory tab WHENEVER you get a new armour, regardless of whether it's weaker than your current set.

As I said, pretty good game, but god drat those glowing exclamation points...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The radio guy in Farcry 4 is really annoying.

I love that game, but I wish there was an option to side with Pagan Min and hunt down Rabi Ray Rana. Maybe choke him to death with a pair of my underpants he seems so obsessed with.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

now you know - the rulers are each assigned to a facility to guard. They wont pop up on random missions (though the Chosen will)

This is only true if they selected Integrate DLC, which if they had the story mission, it isnt integrated. Otherwise it's the wild west

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Platinum gives different enemy spawns on different difficulty levels, so it's entirely possible that you're just playing on a difficulty level without the fight you're thinking of.

But I don't think that's it. If it's the fight I'm thinking of, and I think it is, it's still in store. There's another fight against upgraded versions of Grace and Glory, the claw enemies, on a staircase. And you don't get to use Witch Time against the upgraded versions.
Well I'm gonna give you three guesses where I'm at and it feels reeeally familiar

e: oh god I beat that fight and the bits after it still seem familiar

though I did pop Umbran Tears, maybe I just watched an LP back then.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Aug 15, 2019

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Bonto posted:

Assassin's Creed : Odyssey

Or you can just scrap every piece of armour you find that isn't part of whatever set you like, and spend resources + gold keeping that one set up to level parity. Which is the opposite of something dragging the game down, really. No need to worry about finding good gear at low level when you can just upgrade it to your level whenever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm slowly churning through Kingdoms of Amalur: Subtitle on a whim and I think I'm starting to realize its actual core flaw (not its mistaken reputation as a singleplayer MMO*...though what I'm about to gripe about certainly makes it sound like one). While they nailed a pretty good action-centric combat feel (kinda God of War-lite, combos and abilities stuff) they fumbled pretty much every other supporting system.

Loot is Diablo-style, but all of it is boring because affixes are boring. Unique items don't carry any unique properties (with maybe some minor exceptions) and set gear doesn't unlock powerful new effects it just gives you more of the same kind of boring stats you were already building towards. The most creative affixes are ones that boost damage at day or at night but they're even less practical here than in Elder Scrolls because the day/night cycle isn't well codified and there's no Wait command either.

Crafting doesn't subvert any of this, because you build gear out of the same sort of stat components as anything else, you just have ways to generate generically superior versions with exactly what boring but effective abilities you want attached. In general, the power curve is very poorly paced. I'm about level 20-25 (out of 40) and it already feels like my build is largely done. So once I reach the final equipment tier I'm all but certain to be able to craft the best possible set of gear and nothing will ever come close to matching it.

This then compounds with the other problem: They just didn't make enough unique enemy types to fill out combat. Enemies so far (and as far as I know, for the rest of the game with maybe some variations) fall into basic categories: Smaller. swarm-happy nibblers. Medium-sized actual threats. Humanoid, likely focused on one of the three Warrior/Rogue/Mage axes. Larger enemy that's frustratingly rare but actually unique and spices up combat pretty well. Largest enemy that's a huge damage sponge and laughs off most your attacks and isn't fun to fight at all. That sounds like it should be enough, but the ratios are all wrong and you spend more time fighting yet another swarm of small creatures than you do even humanoid enemies of any type. Said nibblers have also been often more dangerous because I'm playing a character focused on slow, physical weapons so they can easily stunlock me out of combos whereas one of the most common humanoid enemy types has just been dumbass bandits ambushing me and then very quickly dying.

And as the cherry on top, enemy levels seem to be roughly assigned per area (or maybe scaled to you to some degree) but not per type. So the same bog standard pack of three wolves I was fighting at level 1 are waiting for me several areas later at level 20 and take about the same number of hits to kill; it's not identical but I certainly don't wipe them out instantly. There's no sense of your build popping off outside of maybe stacking crit chance The one time I did break the power curve was when I was briefly running a tier of equipment ahead...but that also made the game less fun because instead of even being able to complete combos I just one-shotted everything for a little while. And because this was a console-first Oblivion-chaser, it's not like they can even vomit a hundred enemies onto the screen at once to at least scale combat that way.

Considering the game is also appropriately looooooong (not even including the DLCs) it's no wonder most people burn out and never finish this thing. Frankly it's a shame too because the art design is fantastic, the VAs are all solid, and the writing has even been pretty good.

*The game we got was originally its own thing that got bought up to act as a prequel or prologue or whatever for the very cool and ambitious MMO that was coming any day now and definitely wasn't burning money at an alarming rate. Ironically, thanks to so much of the game carrying on from Oblivion and its focus on flashy-but-shallow combat it actually does a pretty good job at resembling MMOs as they are *now* (with ESO being the most obvious comparison).

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 08:20 on Aug 16, 2019

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That's what you get for putting your eggs in a basket owned by a guy famous for soiling his socks.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kingdoms of Amalur's core problem is that it has a gameplay formula Borderlands had already ruined for everyone at that point. I think I played it for all of 3-5 hours before I got bored.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I like Kingdoms of Amalur but I always quit after crossing the ocean because that's already like a full large game's worth of content.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Why did Yakuza Kiwami 2 think the cabaret mini-game needed to be worse? Mechanically there's almost nothing different about it, except now 90% of the characters you hire are just generic NPCs you hire by pressing a "hire people" button while there's like five you can get by doing side quests near the later half of the game. On top of that, they felt the best thing that would make it less awful, was to add a really obnoxious narrator-type character who not only just shows up in all of the cutscenes to make stupid faces and say his name, but never stops talking while you're doing the mini-game, at all. It makes a lame side-thing even lamer.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just got done playing a bit more and hit another major city and suddenly the game was fun again because the quests were about intrigue and dialogue and non-combat stuff as much as they were about hitting things with a big fuckoff hammer. Turns out not being interrupted every five seconds by another swarm of killer faeries or whatever the gently caress helps the game's pace a great deal.

I also apparently hit a convenient breakpoint where the combat has noticeably sped up a bit and I even had a fight where they actually did spawn a pretty good swarm of enemies. Granted, said swarm was mostly rear end in a top hat teleporting mages that spam endless projectile spells at you and drain your mana so it was a huge pain in the rear end, but still.

The Moon Monster posted:

I like Kingdoms of Amalur but I always quit after crossing the ocean because that's already like a full large game's worth of content.

Yeah I'm tooling around in what I guess you could call Act 2, haven't even hit the desert yet or crossed over to the other side of the world, and according to the game I'm almost to 30 hours. Hasn't felt like that, but drat. I still need to figure out a good place to skip over to the DLC too.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 13:53 on Aug 16, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love FFXIV. However, I need to gripe.

It has a sightseeing log which is REALLY annoying to do, because you have to go to a specific location at a specific time when the weather is right

and sometimes these windows are like a minute long, and then you have to wait ten hours

so filling this thing out is annoying

and I was all "whatever I will use this website guide and get the 20 of them done"

me: okay done phew, I'll turn 'em in for a reward

NPC: yay you did them! Good! Here are SIXTY MORE

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

StrixNebulosa posted:

I love FFXIV. However, I need to gripe.

I'll chime in.

So it's the end of the game. I wanna get all my fancy gear so I can be ready for the inevitable gear locks required to get into high end raids and stuff. Game gives you tomestones of goetia for that. I get my whole set. Cool stuff.
Then the new raid drops, and each boss encounter gives you an armor token, of which you have to collect a certain number of each before you can trade em in for the gear.
Fine, fine, it's not that bad, doesn't take too much time and you are guaranteed to get a couple of armor upgrades every week.
Then another patch comes, and they release the next tier of weaponry and armor. Okay, it's a new tier of tomestones of phantasmagoria of which you get significantly fewer. That's fine, too, I guess. But what do you have to do to get the weapon?
You have to get almost a thousand of these tomestones to trade for a token (which takes days or weeks depending on how diligent you are), and on top of that, you have to get seven tokens from the raid, of which you only get one per week from the last boss of the raid wing.
Seven weeks before you even have a chance to get the newest weapon upgrade. Just--why? The gear progression system was perfect up to this point uuuugh.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

JackSplater posted:

Or you can just scrap every piece of armour you find that isn't part of whatever set you like, and spend resources + gold keeping that one set up to level parity. Which is the opposite of something dragging the game down, really. No need to worry about finding good gear at low level when you can just upgrade it to your level whenever.

The thing bringing equipment down for me in the past two AssCreeds is that you have to either dismantle or sell each piece individually. I wish there was a "Sell/Dismantle all of <=X quality" filter.

Kingdoms of Amalur chat posted:

Yeah, that's all about right. I love the game, but it definitely has pacing problems, both in terms of story and mechanics. I wish more open world RPGs went with a more action oriented, over the top combat style, though. Dragon's Dogma is the only other game of the type that scratched that itch.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I feel like I played that Kingdoms of Amalur game but I remember absolutely nothing of the experience.. which says something.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bonto posted:

Assassin's Creed : Odyssey is a surprisingly good game. Lots of quests, decent combat system and plenty to explore and discover. The game focuses on making sure you always have the best armour rating closest to your level - so you're spending a significant amount of time regularly changing your armour to boost your armour rating.

It has a feature that lets you customise the look of your armour, so that you don't look like someone has just thrown random armour at a chiselled Greek man. HOWEVER, EVERY time you change said armour you have to REAPPLY the aesthetic customisation. It has gotten so frustrating that I've all but given up on the system and now I look like a Frankenstein's monster of different armour styles.

This is a really annoying “so close to getting it right” thing that a lot of games seem to mess up. they know that being able to separate stats from appearance is a good thing but they just go with the first implementation they think of. it’s way worse to make you change the appearance of each piece of armor itself, where your barbie gets messed up the next time you switch any piece of armor, instead of just having a second set of appearance-only override armor slots like terraria.

Yes I have strong opinions about the Right Way to do fake barbie dress up

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Wanted By Weed posted:

I'll chime in.

So it's the end of the game. I wanna get all my fancy gear so I can be ready for the inevitable gear locks required to get into high end raids and stuff. Game gives you tomestones of goetia for that. I get my whole set. Cool stuff.
Then the new raid drops, and each boss encounter gives you an armor token, of which you have to collect a certain number of each before you can trade em in for the gear.
Fine, fine, it's not that bad, doesn't take too much time and you are guaranteed to get a couple of armor upgrades every week.
Then another patch comes, and they release the next tier of weaponry and armor. Okay, it's a new tier of tomestones of phantasmagoria of which you get significantly fewer. That's fine, too, I guess. But what do you have to do to get the weapon?
You have to get almost a thousand of these tomestones to trade for a token (which takes days or weeks depending on how diligent you are), and on top of that, you have to get seven tokens from the raid, of which you only get one per week from the last boss of the raid wing.
Seven weeks before you even have a chance to get the newest weapon upgrade. Just--why? The gear progression system was perfect up to this point uuuugh.

Its like that always, and the next tier is like half a year away or more. 5.1 only gives you 460 armor and a weekly token for upgrading the tomestone gear. when the next tier shows up the current rare stones become common and get replaced with a new set of rare stones. You only really need to get a set of normal raid armor and accessories to be reasonably prepared unless you are very serious about raiding so don't sweat it too much. Savage raids are the only groups who need to get new weapons fast and they get like, 4 chances, one of those tomestones drops from the 3rd savage tier, and the 4th one of the highest level wepons at random, one chest that gives you one of those for your class, and gives you one e4 book thats a token for turning into a weapon once you have enough just in case they get really unlucky with drops.

None of this makes your frustration any less valid though, because its really not a good feeling struggling to get a better weapon.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Digirat posted:

This is a really annoying “so close to getting it right” thing that a lot of games seem to mess up. they know that being able to separate stats from appearance is a good thing but they just go with the first implementation they think of. it’s way worse to make you change the appearance of each piece of armor itself, where your barbie gets messed up the next time you switch any piece of armor, instead of just having a second set of appearance-only override armor slots like terraria.

Yes I have strong opinions about the Right Way to do fake barbie dress up

The worst thing is that, in my opinion, they had it exactly right in the past. I don't remember what game it was, but there was an MMO (I think) where you chose an item to equip and have their stats, and (if you wanted) another item to wear "over" it and have their appearance, and as long as you had that item equipped, you had that look, no matter what change you made underneath.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Sleeping Dogs: Wei Shen does not use soap when he washes his hands.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Amalur basically felt like a cross between The Elder Scrolls and a character action game. The state of Rhode Island should make a sequel. Are there any other games out there that fit the same mold?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

The Moon Monster posted:

Amalur basically felt like a cross between The Elder Scrolls and a character action game. The state of Rhode Island should make a sequel. Are there any other games out there that fit the same mold?

Only Dragon's Dogma comes close, and that leans more into the character action side, since DMC devs worked on the combat.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Zoig posted:

Its like that always, and the next tier is like half a year away or more. 5.1 only gives you 460 armor and a weekly token for upgrading the tomestone gear. when the next tier shows up the current rare stones become common and get replaced with a new set of rare stones. You only really need to get a set of normal raid armor and accessories to be reasonably prepared unless you are very serious about raiding so don't sweat it too much. Savage raids are the only groups who need to get new weapons fast and they get like, 4 chances, one of those tomestones drops from the 3rd savage tier, and the 4th one of the highest level wepons at random, one chest that gives you one of those for your class, and gives you one e4 book thats a token for turning into a weapon once you have enough just in case they get really unlucky with drops.

None of this makes your frustration any less valid though, because its really not a good feeling struggling to get a better weapon.
I've been thinking of finally playing ff14 soon and I'd like to thank these two posts for completely killing the desire to do that (sincere post)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Frankly, what should kill your desire to play is a realm reborn having some pretty awful low points, it takes 100 quests of story to get to the expansion, and the combat being kinda gutted for a lot of classes pre 50. The lategame gearing is pretty much irrelevant for months on end for anyone starting out.

Everything I talked about was something only applicable to the 5% of the playerbase that does the really hard high end raids, you get high end gear from raids and the gear only really matters in raids, you get a perfectly usable weapon by just spending 500 of a unlimited currency and it will be fine for this patch and the next.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've been thinking of finally playing ff14 soon and I'd like to thank these two posts for completely killing the desire to do that (sincere post)

I don't blame you. ARR is the worst expansion and the arbitrary endgame gearing system is kinda frustrating. I revel in it sometimes (like the first tier of Shadowbringers was :kiss:) but then other times they'll make a decision that leaves you scratching your head. Like the endgame series of instances from the last expansion, Eureka. Those are the only way to level up the free set of "artifact" (starting) raid gear, to make it dyeable and stuff. You can continuously upgrade it until it's the best armor in the game for the time, but that is a grindfest seemingly without end. I couldn't stand it.

Wanted By Weed has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 16, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's a shame Kingdoms of Amalur isn't very good, because it's got an excellent Grant Kirkhope score that doesn't get enough attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuLmni273bY

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mamkute posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALYPYolSfk

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

The worst little thing about Kingdoms of Amalur is still that nobody's stolen their chakrams yet.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

aegof posted:

The worst little thing about Kingdoms of Amalur is still that nobody's stolen their chakrams yet.

Outward has a school of magic based around chakrams, but it isn't nearly as fun as using the chakrams in KoA. Especially since it, like all other combat magic in the game, pales in comparison to the flamethrower spell you can get as soon as you get access to magic if you have 50 silver to spare.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

To be fair, you could always grab the "free to level 35" trial and see how you feel. The story content has some huge variance in "this is actually cool and fun, I am interested to see where these characters go and develop." and "Oh my god if one more guy asks me to go five feet and pick up his shoes I will alt+F4 right now" but it's generally decent. The ultimate tedium of end-game grinding only sets in when you actually reach the end game and you've got a pretty long way to go before you hit that, if you even decide to actually get the game.

If it takes the game out back and old yellers it for you; from what everyone seems to be saying, the next big content update is going to be towards the end of the year (probably starting around octoberish?) and it's going to be a raid based on Nier Automata of all things. It sounds crazy but everyone I talk to who plays the game swears by that.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The 24-man raids are generally two things: Pretty Good and Pretty Hard. They also contain fanservice (of the non lewd variety) elements, like the last one was sort of a love letter to Ivalice--particularly Tactics and FFXII. There's headaches over trying to coordinate 24 people over three separate parties, but they're pretty satisfying to overcome, and the old content can be mostly steamrolled. Mostly.

One of the reasons I think people are excited about this one is that Yoko Taro will be involved. Which means he's probably going to take a big steaming dump on the traditional trappings of the MMO gameplay loop, or so everyone hopes and assumes. Since that's what he's kind of known for by now.

Wanted By Weed has a new favorite as of 03:00 on Aug 18, 2019

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Hopefully this just means the last boss isn't a multi-minute rhythm game where everyone has an assigned note.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Wanted By Weed posted:

One of the reasons I think people are excited about this one is that Yoko Taro will be involved. Which means he's probably going to take a big steaming dump on the traditional trappings of the MMO gameplay loop, or so everyone hopes and assumes. Since that's what he's kind of known for by now.

Alas for those hopefuls, SE has already said Taro has had zero input on designing the gameplay of the fights. He's there to oversee visual design and story, he has nothing to do with the gameplay design of the raid.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mamkute posted:

Hes a dirty cop

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Cythereal posted:

Alas for those hopefuls, SE has already said Taro has had zero input on designing the gameplay of the fights. He's there to oversee visual design and story, he has nothing to do with the gameplay design of the raid.

They're just saying that so that everyone gets surprised when losing to the final boss deletes your character.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

blackmongoose posted:

They're just saying that so that everyone gets surprised when losing to the final boss deletes your character.

I think you mean one player has to agree to delete their character so the rest of the party can beat the final boss.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Barudak posted:

Hes a dirty cop

:frogout:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I dipped my toes into Rock Band 4 last night and the game features as default 'Freestyle Solos' during songs. It means that rather than play along with the guitar solos in the recorded version, you randomly press buttons for about a minute and create an embarrassing 'solo# of your own. They sound terrible,, ruin the song they've been crowbarred into and kill the flow of the game

You can turn them off in the menu but jeeeez they suck.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

cool the final boss in Bayonetta actually stunlocked me, good job on that Platinum

Replaying Bayonetta 2 now (I did beat him though) and the difference in design paradigms is staggering, they actually let you have those health items now instead of just dangling them out of reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Two merchants in Horizon Zero Dawn wants snapmaw and longleg lenses, which I already have but apparently they only want lenses that comes from a specific area.