Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

FilthyImp posted:

Matt (formerly of X-Entertainment, current DinoDraculord) puts together a lootbox that's really just totally useless poo poo from your childhood.

Here's a mini comic about The Wolfman, an ALF pog and Red Ranger Slammer, 100 army men, wax vampire teeth, a Batman 89 card pack with bubblegum and golden silly putty. Oh and a Rainbow Brite eraser for kicks.

It's admirably funny

That's hilarious. I still Google the hungry man breakfast review from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I was staying with a friend in Texas and it was several miles past seeing the Texas Instruments HQ that I was like "oh duh the calculator oligarchs"

Never underestimate people being dumb and uninformed.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1162031946953875456?s=21

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Hands up who saw this coming when GE did all their fancy pivots a few years ago?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Hands up who saw this coming when GE did all their fancy pivots a few years ago?

This predates all of that. GE's been trying to get out from under their horrible finance arm for more than a decade now. I think they pretty much got out of most of those lending markets, but they can't offload their stupid insurance policies like they can bad credit card debt.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

just ask tcc

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
So we just need to have everyone at GE try LSD, got it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Volcott posted:

So we just need to have everyone at GE try LSD, got it.
Jeffery Skilling appears, grabs your shoulders and yells "My C-suite, have you tried Mark-to-Market?!"

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/communalsauce/status/1162233507969507332

except the dollar coin is a skeleton

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
i don't know, man. GE in a press release said "Nuh uhhh!"

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

da mf sh0rt z0ne

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

i don't know, man. GE in a press release said "Nuh uhhh!"

This is where it gets interesting. If what the whistleblower is saying is true I don’t think GE’s management can publicly say otherwise. They can use doublespeak and defer answers, but if they lie then they’ll get the Enron treatment. And Enron happened before they tightened the rules on what executives are responsible for.

I guess they can always claim ignorance. But they’re always a memo somewhere.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

This is where it gets interesting. If what the whistleblower is saying is true I don’t think GE’s management can publicly say otherwise. They can use doublespeak and defer answers, but if they lie then they’ll get the Enron treatment. And Enron happened before they tightened the rules on what executives are responsible for.

I guess they can always claim ignorance. But they’re always a memo somewhere.

There's also a certain point where claiming ignorance is admitting willful and deliberate negligence.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's also a certain point where claiming ignorance is admitting willful and deliberate negligence.

Dodd-Frank was supposed to make it illegal to act dumb. I have no idea if that law still has any teeth after Congress rolled back some of it's provisions, but if you sign off on those financials you're saying they're correct.

I always liked GE and it's going to suck if they go under, but they've been doing it to themselves for about 20 years now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get the feeling that incurring the full penalty of the laws created in the wake of Enron isn't gonna happen under this administration.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Ya think

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Krispy Wafer posted:

Dodd-Frank was supposed to make it illegal to act dumb

what if you actually are dumb tho

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m calling the police.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Have you ever considered running GameStop?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Have you ever considered running GameStop? for office?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Krispy Wafer posted:

I always liked GE...

... How?

I'm baffled anyone could have an opinion on a conglomerate whose unofficial slogan is 'Beige, Personified'. A company you only ever hear about when poo poo goes bad. A company whose biggest penetration into the cultural zeitgeist was as a repeated punchline on 30 Rock. And the joke was almost always, 'Up to some evil poo poo' or 'excessively lame'.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SomeJazzyRat posted:

... How?

I'm baffled anyone could have an opinion on a conglomerate whose unofficial slogan is 'Beige, Personified'. A company you only ever hear about when poo poo goes bad. A company whose biggest penetration into the cultural zeitgeist was as a repeated punchline on 30 Rock. And the joke was almost always, 'Up to some evil poo poo' or 'excessively lame'.

I liked their appliances, I always found the 30 Rock jokes pretty funny, and I have a thing for turbines.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I really hope they don't go under, if only because they employ a shitload of people near where I live.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

... How?

That's totally unfair, becaus--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

:cripes:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Had a bad morning and thought I'd hit Fry's to get a part I needed and Holy. loving. poo poo. It is not long for the world.

Aside from crazy Tv prices (Samsung 55+" Tvs at $350), the place looked like it had gone through Black Friday and hadn't received a restock. Shelf space greatly scaled back. CD's were a corner or an aisle and all weird mishmash of titles. Actual physical stock wasn't on display for Motherboards. There were like 6 Graphics Cards on an empty shelf. The home domestics corner with fridges and poo poo was near empty. Employees were still helpful thankfully.

Goddamn heartbreaking.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Retail Archaeology, a Youtube channel specializing in dying retail stores, posted a video on Fry's today. It pretty much showed what you described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bEcgJRShw

According to the video there's a rumor going around that they're planning to go out of business after the Christmas shopping season, and are effectively doing an undeclared liquidation sale right now.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hmm, I live right by the San Diego Fry's. I'll pop in there today and see how it looks. It's oversized even for a Fry's, so if their stock is dwindling, it'll be pretty obvious. It seemed fine the last time I was there a few months ago, so if it has changed it'll have been really rapid.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When retailers start their death spiral things move pretty quickly. No one wants to ship product on credit and it's not like a struggling company can pay cash upfront.

Maybe that's partly why everything looks so empty. The only stuff Fry's can stock are products they can pay in advance for and they're only going to pay for stuff they know will sell quickly.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hmm, I live right by the San Diego Fry's. I'll pop in there today and see how it looks. It's oversized even for a Fry's, so if their stock is dwindling, it'll be pretty obvious. It seemed fine the last time I was there a few months ago, so if it has changed it'll have been really rapid.

Any ATL goons know how the Fry's in Milton or Duluth are doing? I didn't have time to go out to either one the last time I was in the city. I remember being awestruck at how huge that place was the first time I ever set foot in one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Mr.Radar posted:

Retail Archaeology, a Youtube channel specializing in dying retail stores, posted a video on Fry's today. It pretty much showed what you described:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8bEcgJRShw

According to the video there's a rumor going around that they're planning to go out of business after the Christmas shopping season, and are effectively doing an undeclared liquidation sale right now.

These are pretty good. I go to the Tempe one because it's closer but the Phoenix one is so nice and it's a shame its days are numbered and it will probably end up a mattress store.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Phoenix one is my Fry's. I go there at least once or twice a month these days. I must have been there two weeks before RA posted that video, and while it looked bad, it did not look that bad when I went. I just hope it doesn't go before GameStop.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
I dunno if anyone here is a Game Informer fan, but there's layoffs going on there. I dunno how to embed tweets so whatever

https://twitter.com/SurielVazquez/status/1163866023105183744?s=09

There's a couple more staff confirmed with even more possible it sounds like. Rumor has it this is a GameStop decision, which sucks rear end.

Edit: more people have been axed, one while on vacation, another while on the job in Germany :wtc:, and editor in Chief Andy McNamara is vague posting on Twitter. Is this how companies get shuttered?

oh dope has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Aug 20, 2019

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

FilthyImp posted:

Aside from crazy Tv prices (Samsung 55+" Tvs at $350),

I just realized I've never bought a new TV. Is this price crazy because it's low or high?

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

AvesPKS posted:

I just realized I've never bought a new TV. Is this price crazy because it's low or high?

Extremely low. Just a few years ago 55" TVs, of any kind, were multiple thousands. I remember 32" flat screen computer monitors costing $800.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

anonumos posted:

Extremely low. Just a few years ago 55" TVs, of any kind, were multiple thousands. I remember 32" flat screen computer monitors costing $800.

It's not too crazy. I bought a 65" 4k smart TV from Target last fall and it was about 500$. As someone who was born in the 80s and lived through big screen CRTs being thousands of dollars, they are getting stupid cheap.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AvesPKS posted:

It's on the low side. I needed to replace our TV in 2017 and I paid a little north of $550 for a 4k HDR SmartTV.

It's not one of those weird Walmart "75" TV for $50" glitchsales but it's really affordable for the pricepoint.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

oh dope posted:

I dunno if anyone here is a Game Informer fan, but there's layoffs going on there. I dunno how to embed tweets so whatever

https://twitter.com/SurielVazquez/status/1163866023105183744?s=09

There's a couple more staff confirmed with even more possible it sounds like. Rumor has it this is a GameStop decision, which sucks rear end.

Edit: more people have been axed, one while on vacation, another while on the job in Germany :wtc:, and editor in Chief Andy McNamara is vague posting on Twitter. Is this how companies get shuttered?

Welcome to how businesses get wound down in the US.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess GameStop laid off like 120 people and a lot of that was with Game Informer which makes sense

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
In America the only responsibility of company has its to its shareholders so it's actually better and more responsible for them to just fire all their employees with no notice, since they don't owe any loyalty whatsoever to their employees and the employees cost their shareholders money by demanding things like wages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I’m confused. Do you fine goons believe that businesses can somehow continue to exist as welfare programs when costs exceed revenue?