Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

There is no way cheaping out on the SIN won't bite us in the rear end later, so get the good one. Spend the rest on a decker buddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Let's definitely buy the good SIN.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Good SIN, good decker.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Free SIN, Orion, Get Chromed up

The client wants a bloodbath people. We dont need the subtle way for this mission.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Cooked Auto posted:

Airfare? :raise: Pretty sure you can't even get close to an airport in the Sixth World without a SIN and as the game implies here we're SINless like most Runners.

Why would a smuggler hiring out passenger space go anywhere near an airport?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Stroth posted:

Why would a smuggler hiring out passenger space go anywhere near an airport?

Fair enough, assumed the comment referred to taking a passenger jet to San Fran. Had ruled out Air America so to speak.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

TheMcD posted:

Alright, so that's about it for this update, because we now have to answer a question - how does Kami prepare for this run, and who does she take along? This isn't a formal vote, more of that "thread is Kami's conscience" thing I mentioned in the OP. So if there's a general sentiment we should look into getting cyberware, or that we should take one of those three runners in particular (we will be taking one along - not taking one is not an option, because that will be very rough), and should we go with the cheap SINs or spring for the premium ones.

For reference, Hailey will cost 600 nuyen to bring along, Dalmin wants 750, and Orion wants 650.

So, what now?

Run Prep: Kami is analytical, she's going to research and recon her target before busting in.

Partner: We're breaking into Aztechnology, we gotta scoop their data while we're doing it- and Hailey is the only one who can do that.

SIN: Pony up for the good stuff, it's going to get us a lot further than the Matrix-only version Hailey would give us.

Purchases: If we've got the money for it, we should get fuckin' CHOME, baby. Get the cheapest top quality chrome available right now, no point in wasting nuyen and essence on a mediocre cyberarm.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Good decker, good SIN, good life.
Otherwise, get stuff that makes sense for Kami. Maybe a better gun, some healing items or the like.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

What are the available Chi Casting Spells?

What crucial spell(s) would skimping on the primo SINs and Medkits let us afford?

That's a good point. Also good to keep in mind is that Chome will hurt our chi-casting ability- leaving us with fewer spellbook pages to fill. I'd love to get Stride, the passive buff is great for a melee combatant like an adept. It requires Chi-Casting of 4, though. Mystic Armor is also great, but needs Chi-Casting 8 so it'll be a while before we could use it. Killing hands is good, and I think we start with it, except we're using weapons instead of our bare fists.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Basic level magic resistance is chi casting 2, at chi casting 3 we get mana fist (very situational) and chi focus (awesome), we don't need to buy chi focus, we just get it for having rank 3. After that Stride at rank 4 is really good.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Dwarf dude just doubled down on being an annoying jerk. Orion could be cool but does basically the same thing that Kami is doing, role wise.

Hailey has hilarious dialogue and I'm putting my vote in with bringing her.

I guess getting the good SIN makes sense but I know nothing about these games so I am just agreeing with the common majority, but if taking Hailey gets Kami some free low quality fake credentials as a bonus, obstacles can be overcome in the future, because, lets face it, problems will happen no matter what.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

And that's the story of how the Antumbra trilogy spends exactly 15 minutes anywhere near an actual place called Antumbra.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I guess I should give you a bit of an idea what we have available to us when it comes to shopping:

- Melee weapons: We can buy a Katana (4 damage vs. the Machete's 3) for 650 nuyen, but we can't use it yet, we're missing 2 Karma to get the necessary Close Combat score of 3.
- Armor: We could buy 4 Armor + 5 HP for 650 nuyen or 3 Armor + 1 Dodge for 400. We currently have 1 Armor and no bonuses.
- Medical gear: Basic medkits heal 10+ HP and cost 150 nuyen. The Doc Wagon trauma kits that revive downed teammates with 25% of their health cost 400 nuyen. We could buy gold or platinum variants of the trauma kits already, but that's just stupidly wasteful.
- Cyberware: We have basic cybereyes (+3% to hit, 750 nuyen, 1 Essence cost), cyberarms (+6 HP, 1000 nuyen, 1.5 Essence cost - for one arm), cyberlegs (+8 HP and +1 Quickness, 2000 nuyen, 2 Essence cost - for one leg) and dermal plating (+2 Armor, 2500 nuyen, 1.5 Essence cost). Everything is pretty expensive right now.
- Chi casting: We can get permanent passive Light Cover versus magic for 200 nuyen. We have a magical punch that deals 10 damage and ignores Armor for 300 nuyen, but we can't use it yet, we're missing 2 Karma to get the necessary Chi Casting score of 3.

We currently have 2900 nuyen. Furthermore, we currently have the following: One advanced medkit (20+ HP), two Doc Wagon trauma kits, one basic frag grenade (which we'll probably sell for 70 nuyen, since we're not good at throwing) and the Killing Hands spell (which we'll probably sell for 150 nuyen, since we don't use unarmed combat).

Getting Hailey and the good SINs would already set us back 1100 nuyen and therefore leave us with 1700 remaining to spend on more stuff.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015
Shopping list: Armour (one of the two), Magic Resistance spell, medical supplies (IMHO? fill our carry space with basic kits - two revive is enough).
If can't equip yet (weapon upgrade+punch spell), ignore for now.
Don't take any cyber - ain't worth the essence cost, and we can't reduce that 'till Hong Kong.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh jeez our current armor really sucks. ok, the biggest improvement is going to be the good armor
Capitalism points available after SIN and Decker: 1700
Good Armor: -650
2x Basic Medkit: -300
Remaining capitalism points: 750
Not enough for any chrome, and we can't use any other improvements until we get some karma after this run. I'm thinking we bank the rest and see where we're at after the run.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I'm going with Armor, Magic Resist, and x2 basic medkits

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Yeah definitely armor and medkits. I'll defer to others on spells because I've never played a caster in any of these games.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
New Vote:
Current funds: ¥2,912
Pair of primo SINs: -¥500
Signing fee for Hailey: -¥600
3x Medkits: -¥450
+4 Armor +5 HP: -¥650
Chi casting spell: Light Cover vs magic: -¥200
Sell Grenade: +¥70
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

End total: ¥732

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 13, 2019

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

End total: ¥932

This sounds about right, however:

Is the "permanent passive light cover vs magic" spell any good? "permanent passive" is usually a good combination of words in most games, and 200 nuyen is barely more then a single one use medkit for something that might add up to much more dammage prevention over time, and the funds are still there to get everything listed above and the spell too. Like I said, if it is actually any good, which I don't really know, but if I were just playing blind I would probably get it.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Twenty Four posted:

This sounds about right, however:

Is the "permanent passive light cover vs magic" spell any good? "permanent passive" is usually a good combination of words in most games, and 200 nuyen is barely more then a single one use medkit for something that might add up to much more dammage prevention over time, and the funds are still there to get everything listed above and the spell too. Like I said, if it is actually any good, which I don't really know, but if I were just playing blind I would probably get it.

Oh hey good catch. Rather than making a new post I'll just edit my earlier vote. Thanks.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Twenty Four posted:

Is the "permanent passive light cover vs magic" spell any good?

It's not great, but it's definitely not bad.

Twenty Four posted:

"permanent passive" is usually a good combination of words in most games

That's one of the things that makes Adepts really stand out here. They've got a lot of passive bonus spells, including some that can also be cast properly to boost the bonus they give.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm only voting to take Orion with us, I dig his style.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hailey should come with us because she'll die on her own in this business.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

Oh hey good catch. Rather than making a new post I'll just edit my earlier vote. Thanks.

Yeah, permanent light cover against spells = can't be crit if I'm recalling correctly. Plus a chance to shrug off some of the damage.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Then from what I'm hearing then yeah get it and that other stuff I quoted before, in Lux Animus' edited post

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm gonna throw in my vote for Hailey, I think.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

Officially voting for this, too.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

Let's get this done.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Lux Animus posted:

New Vote:
Sell Killing Hands +¥150

spend more on candles

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, looks like the voices in Kami's head have come to a consensus. I'll see if I can record some footage today and maybe make the update tomorrow or something like that.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What level is Kami now? Can you pick up magic fist?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Grapplejack posted:

What level is Kami now? Can you pick up magic fist?

I could buy it, but I don't have enough Chi Casting to use it. I'd need to get 2 Karma early in the run for it to be of any use.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Uh, whoops. Apparently getting the cheap SINs means you can't get the expensive ones anymore. Oh well, that just means money saved and more excitement.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
C.R.E.A.M.y

This is somehow all Hailey's fault.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update V - All Marines Are Bastards

Alright, we're back. The voices in Kami's head have made decisions. To start, we're going to sell some extra stuff we're not going to use - Kami can't throw, so grenades are pointless, and Killing Hands also has no use, since we're doing melee attacks. In addition to that, we purchase the following:

- A set of armor that gives us 4 Armor and +5 HP.
- A passive Adept spell that gives us a permanent Light Cover bonus against magic. We also buy a magical melee attack that ignores armor, but we can't use that yet, since Kami doesn't have enough Chi Casting. Still, we have some money to burn, so we might as well, since we'll definitely use it once we can.
- Three Basic Medkits.

Also, we get Hailey to tag along with the run. Now, the thread said we should also get the better SINs, but it turns out that once we get Hailey to make some for us, we can't buy the other ones anymore. Whoops.

Now, let's head out.

(Fake SINs) I'm ready to go.
All right, I'll bring the car around. Meet you outside.

And here we go!

The first person we meet is a security guard - but one that isn't hostile! A non-hostile character we can talk to despite being in combat mode. I think that's something new.

How are things going here with "Pyramid Operations"?
We're doing just f‌ine, and I'll thank you not to insinuate anything about our corporate parentage.

Here's my ID.
Hm.... you are recognized by our system, but I'm afraid you don't have any clearance to enter the building.

Whoops. I guess this is where the cheaper SINs come back to bite us in the rear end. We could bullshit ourselves through with a Security or Corporate Etiquette, but alas, we don't have that. Instead, we have this option:

My business is dusting security guards, and business is good. [Attack.]

And, well, between Hailey's drone and Kami's blade, the guy doesn't stand a chance.

Three more guards come in, but they don't really put up much of a fight either. Kami's new armor is really putting in a lot of work here.

Next room up, we find a place for Hailey to jack in to, so that'll be what we'll be checking out next.

We start out going through one room with regular ICE, then make it here. Once we clear this out, we can use that node to upload our SIN data. I have no idea what this does. I guess it might've helped if we talked our way past that first guard.

Over on the other side of the net area, we get to deal with some Black ICE, which does direct damage to Hailey rather than her persona, which really sucks.

However, going through this nets us some paydata, which is useful. Nothing else here, so we jack out with barely any rounds to spare.

With that done, we get to move on to the next area.

The next floor gives us some more security guards, which we cut up with relative ease.

The room after that is very friendly and gives us an advanced medkit, which is always appreciated.

After that, it seems like we have a little glitch, where we can see through the door and see that there are at least two security guards, but they're not seeing us.

There's three in total, and Kami does take some decent damage here, but it's nothing that aforementioned medkit can't fix up.

And that's all for this area. So apparently it would've been possible to not go loud until this point, but from here on, it's definitely time for combat. No problem with me!

Arriving at the top floor, we're greeted by one security guard that doesn't even get to move before getting destroyed.

We also find a jack-in spot in that room.

Our reward for fighting through the ICE is a total of two turret control nodes.

The first one takes out one enemy and deals some damage to others.

The second encounter once again drops some Black ICE on us, which is always not appreciated...

...but the turret once again softens up another room.

The first of the two rooms is cleared of its one remaining enemy with ease...

...and while the second one gets a bit hairier, the two enemies are dispatched and the healing of the last taken damage takes most of the edge off.

And that nets us a keycard!

We get to the big office, where... uh, something is going on.

[Aztechnology's local chief stares in shock at his abdomen, rapidly growing slicker with blood. He stumbles and collapses to the floor.]

The troll proceeds to grab something from the desk, say "Norton lives! Sayonara.", and jump out the loving window. Uh... I guess we can call this run a success?

At least we get a medkit.

As we exit, our Johnson has already shown up, which I guess saves us some time walking.

A troll assassinated Tooms and took some paydata.
That is highly unusual. You hardly ever see any trolls moving around the city these days. What on earth would one be doing attacking a megacorp building? Did it say anything?
Just "Norton lives. Sayonara."
"Norton lives"... why does that ring a bell?

[Mr. Johnson snaps his f‌ingers.]

That's right. Norton graff‌iti has sprung up in the Mission District lately. I f‌igured it was associated with some new gang. The Mission is one of the few places in the city where humans and metahumans still mix freely, so it could be where your assassin troll is hiding. Well, let's get going. You'll need to hurry if you're going to catch him before he skips town.

I sure hope you don't need new supplies after that run, because we're right into the next part.

And once we arrive, it doesn't take long until we get into a new situation.

Yeah? Who's going to make us? These are our streets! We were born here, raised here, sold our f‌irst rocks here, got laid here! We ain't going anywhere, so slot off!

OK, I guess Voire is here too. Sure, why not.

I'm warning you! This city is under martial law, and you are in violation of a curfew order. Disperse immediately or I will be forced to open f‌ire!
Curfew? Are you mental? The fragging sun has barely gone down!
Voire? What's going on?
Hai... Hailey? What are you doing here?
Watching my friend commit suicide by cop, from the looks of it.
It isn't like that! We're sick of getting pushed around, Hailey. We need to make a stand! Otherwise, they'll just keep shuff‌ling us along, until one day they sweep us out of the city altogether! You're human. You don't know what it's like to live with this every day.
You're right. I don't know what it's like. But I know what it's like to live, and I want you to keep living, Voire.

OK, we've got a situation. We could bullshit ourselves through with either the Security or Gang Etiquettes, but alas. Let's ask some questions.

Why do they need to leave?
To keep proper citizens like yourself safe! I can't believe how ungrateful you lot are for the protection of Saito-san. If he didn't keep the metahumans in line, Frisco would be another disaster like Seattle.
Geez! You moron, nobody calls it Frisco! You'll never be a part of this city, stop trying to pretend like you own it!

Where do you expect them to go?
The gutter, probably? Or the cemetery?

[The marine wearily rubs his eyes.]

Go back to those awful squats you vermin occupy.

What will happen if they don't disperse?
I am authorized to use any and every force at my disposal to ensure that the streets are safe.
So, you'll shoot us, then?
If you threaten the lives of my men, then yes, I will be forced to shoot you.
For every ork or troll you slay, I'll kill two of your men. For every elf you murder, I'll kill four marines.

So Voire thinks elves are worth double compared to orks or trolls. Good poo poo, man. Anyway, let's think about this. We can either tell the gangers to stand down or tell the marines to gently caress off. The former will just lead to Voire suiciding by cop, which probably won't help our current situation. Besides, there is no way we're not taking the option that tells cops to go gently caress themselves. Smash the state!

Go away, marines. They're not moving.
Negative!
This is it, chummers! CHARGE!

And we have ourselves a fight. Since we have five guys on our side on top of the two in our party, the marines are quickly outnumbered nearly 2:1 and go down without much hassle. I mean, the gangers take some damage, but hey, who cares about them, right? I guess the objective is to defend them, but whatever, *they're fine*.

Not a single one of them died!

Of course, they'll be sending every marine they can from the Mission Street substation. That's not good. We've gotta take them down, otherwise they'll start locking up everyone in the district they can get their hands on. You with me?
Have you heard of Norton?
Norton? Yeah... yeah. I know Norton. He's down in Colma. Now, let's get going!

So, the rest of this run is basically going down a linear path, running into groups of marines and fighting them. This fight went a bit pear-shaped as far as getting Hailey into the fight is concerned, because I ran ahead with Kami and when the fight started, Hailey was still like four turns of moving away. Wasn't the smartest move, in retrospect. Still, these marines don't do well either just from the other gangers beating them up.

En route to the next fight, Hailey pipes up.

Did you like him?
Voire? Ew, no! I mean, it's not because he's an elf. I liked Tarne, after all. It's just... well, you know. He was a friend, though. What a waste! Ugh, I hate this stupid city sometimes!

OK, now, what is Kami's opinion on Voire? I mean, he seems like he might be kinda racist, but he seems committed to smashing the oppressive power structure, so that's good. So I guess she would like what he's doing, anyway.

I admire what he's done.

[Hailey arches an eyebrow in amazement.]

Seriously?! Well, you have plenty of company. It feels like half this town is ready to start shooting the other half.

Rounding the corner drops us into the next fight. Only three guys here, and while this one guy gets a good shot off with a grenade (well, Kami and Hailey are fine, so who cares, really), they can't stand up to seven guys shooting at them for long.

Finally, a bit further, we get four more guys to deal with. Again, nothing special. Voire is doing some good work with his spells, which deal some really good damage, but Kami also does some good work forcing people out of cover and forcing them to burn AP running away.

And pretty soon, we're done. And now, we face the greatest obstacle of this run...

...a locked gate! Truly, our most formidable foe. Now, how do we get past? Well, the game drops four quest markers on our compass, so we know there's options. One is for the gate.

The second one is for this rich guy. He has a card for the Stuffer Shack and would give it to us for 200 nuyen or for free if we have the Socialite Etiquette. Alas, all we have is the Socialist Etiquette.

The third one is this guy. He has a card he would give to us for 50 nuyen or for free if we have the Street Etiquette.

And finally, we can circle around to the beginning and just grab one out of the trash. I'd really like this if you didn't have the quest markers. You either have the expensive option close by, the cheaper option further away, and all the way back you have the free option.

Card in hand, we can now unlock the gate. We could also break through if we were a Decker - sadly, no option to just let Hailey do it.

He gives us 200 nuyen, which isn't a lot, but hey, whatever, free cash.

Remember: Norton is in Colma. I wouldn't go there if I were you, though. Norton is surrounded by some very dangerous creatures. I have to run. Goodbye, and thanks again.

And that is officially it for the run! We grab a nearby cab and head back to Eclipse. So that'll be it for this update. Next time, we plan our next steps and start our side project.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A decently good run. At first I thought the troll was part of an organization named after an old lovely anti-virus soft. :v:

Also killing oppressors. :toot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The gently caress is Japan's problem with metahumans? Is that standard for them?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Night10194 posted:

The gently caress is Japan's problem with metahumans? Is that standard for them?

In a word, yes. It’s the old xenophobia that they’re sorta known for turned up to 11 for the Sixth World.

Their solution for any metahumans in their territory? Exile all of them to Yomi Island off of the Philippines, which is enjoying the same “military protection” that SanFran is facing here, and have naval patrol boats shoot anyone who attempts to leave.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico! I would 100% get behind that dude in a Shadowrun world. :allears: