Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

maybe they should have just gone for dubious consent instead but that probably would have just prompted a bunch of chudery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've read the comics 2 or 3 times, just started watching the first episode:

-Love that they put Simon Pegg in early, just as an acknowledgement to the original Hughie.
-Hughie losing someone close to them in a well-publicized tragedy is a relatable thing and man they pull it off well. Him going through the store and seeing A-Train endorsements reminds me of when I had to leave rooms when TVs were playing 9/11 or VA Tech-related stories, or just looking straight down the aisle and not looking to the side when walking down the newspaper/magazine aisle.
-Really looking forward to the anti-corporatism. Loved the "Say you're sorry!" lines.
-Starlight having just a little more time for her background early on really helps with her character.
-My mother's maiden last name is Vought, and we only ever pronounced it like "Vote." This is gonna take some getting used to.
-They're not playing Maeve as cold as I liked her being in the comics.
-I don't really like the character swap they did for the Vought CEO. The guy in the original comics was the only guy who actually scared the Homelander, and I miss that dynamic. I hope it ends up working out.
-There seems to be this thing again lately where a show/movie wants to do the Reservoir Dogs thing of "I'm going to make a shocking scene set to the beat of a memorable song." It doesn't really work as well for hyper-popular songs that don't really connect with the scenes they're in that have also been used in other notable media around the same time your show is coming out.

Overall I liked it, and I appreciate that its message doesn't feel like it's constantly being pushed away in favor of shocking edgelord moments like in the comics.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 17, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Plan Z posted:

-I don't really like the character swap they did for the Vought CEO. The guy in the original comics was the only guy who actually scared the Homelander, and I miss that dynamic. I hope it ends up working out.
Seems that part falls towards Gus Fring on the 82th floor. Homelander seemed anxious whenever the name Mr. Edgar fell.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Seems that part falls towards Gus Fring on the 82th floor. Homelander seemed anxious whenever the name Mr. Edgar fell.

Glad to hear it. Without the the dynamic of Stillwell and Homelander, the story would have a massive plot hole where Homelander could just kill or intimidate anyone at Vought that he pleases.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
That and the omission of the Black Noir twist which I’m thinking won’t be in the show because we’ve seen him fight and he wasn’t too impressive.

If they keep this twist in I think that scene was a mistake on their part.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Plan Z posted:

Glad to hear it. Without the the dynamic of Stillwell and Homelander, the story would have a massive plot hole where Homelander could just kill or intimidate anyone at Vought that he pleases.

Don't worry, there's plenty going on there. You're in for a ride.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

They're handling Starlight's character a whole lot better in this (low bar yeah, but I still appreciate it). I'm also transfixed on anything involving The Frenchman, which is a switch from how I felt about him in the comics.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 17, 2019

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Amazons already started with season 2 teaser/trailers, unfortunately I can't find it on their official channel so here;s this random guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhWTMq5Z-r0

(It's the 1st 2.5 minutes then just normal youtube blah blah)

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

4 episodes in and I really like that The Boys aren't on V to begin with (though they did just introduce The Female). It adds a lot that they're just really capable people.

EDIT: Okay, I got to the part in episode 4 everyone's talking about :coolfish:

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 17, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Finished the show, caught up in the thread. Just lol at the guy who kept calling Kimiko “demure.” She’s a Wolverine stand-in. She’s feral, and every scene with her has her on the edge of snapping and killing everyone in the room. (In addition to the scenes she does exactly that)

Demure.

They even went with a “had to be saved by the ‘white’ guy” trope.... the guy she literally saved from Black Noir?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Deuce posted:

Finished the show, caught up in the thread. Just lol at the guy who kept calling Kimiko “demure.” She’s a Wolverine stand-in. She’s feral, and every scene with her has her on the edge of snapping and killing everyone in the room. (In addition to the scenes she does exactly that)

Demure.

They even went with a “had to be saved by the ‘white’ guy” trope.... the guy she literally saved from Black Noir?

That guy was quite the idiot taking offense and clutching his pearls over everything in a black comedy focused show.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Supreme Allah posted:

Amazons already started with season 2 teaser/trailers, unfortunately I can't find it on their official channel so here;s this random guy

Coming soon.

I mean, season 1 just released. So... Soon™.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Zaphod?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Yeah, I think the only character the show hasn't improved on so far is Maeve. Even Butcher is way better. I'd love to see this kind of take on a comic like Chew.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

(It's the 1st 2.5 minutes then just normal youtube blah blah)

lol pretty savvy of them if that's just a deleted scene from Season 1 and they're trying to gin up more buzz by calling it a Season 2 teaser.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PostNouveau posted:

lol pretty savvy of them if that's just a deleted scene from Season 1 and they're trying to gin up more buzz by calling it a Season 2 teaser.

there's zero way it isn't and hell I respect the hustle. No time like when everyone's saying how cool you are to go 'oh gee guys season 2 can come ANY TIME NOW I GUESS'

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I guess I'm the only one who watched the Extras huh? Yeah, that's already available.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Did the kids eyes really glow red at the very end, or did they add that in after Homelander said he was his daddy?

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I binged it on the weekend it came out and Homelander Jr's eyes do light up after he is told who his daddy is

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, I think the only character the show hasn't improved on so far is Maeve. Even Butcher is way better. I'd love to see this kind of take on a comic like Chew.

Maeve is kinda meh and so is her sidestory lovelife. It's hard for her to standout with how her character's written though. She's the disappointed, disenfranchised character so all her scenes are kinda downers and not enjoyable.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Her come to Jesus meeting with starlight was a good moment though.

Where can one view the extras?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Maeve is kinda meh and so is her sidestory lovelife. It's hard for her to standout with how her character's written though. She's the disappointed, disenfranchised character so all her scenes are kinda downers and not enjoyable.

Wonder if she'll get an upper scene with Homelander in the end. uppercut

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Plan Z posted:

-There seems to be this thing again lately where a show/movie wants to do the Reservoir Dogs thing of "I'm going to make a shocking scene set to the beat of a memorable song." It doesn't really work as well for hyper-popular songs that don't really connect with the scenes they're in that have also been used in other notable media around the same time your show is coming out.

What was this song/scene? I can’t think.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Her come to Jesus meeting with starlight was a good moment though.

Where can one view the extras?

If you're watching it in the Prime viewer there's a little overlay thing (I think the toggle for it is in one of the upper corners) that shows deleted scenes, extras, etc.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

Homelander slicing up terrorists to Rock el Casbah?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jedit posted:

Homelander slicing up terrorists to Rock el Casbah?

I cannot possibly imagine being disappointed with that scene.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Red Oktober posted:

There's something like at least one per episode, but it starts petering out in later ones. I think there was one episode that had both "London Calling" and "The Traveler".

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s because Westworld S1 completely blew “contemporary pop culture hits but different set to dramatic action” so far up the critics rear end with a straw that you’re going to be seeing that in Prestige TV trying to make a name for itself forever

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s because Westworld S1 completely blew “contemporary pop culture hits but different set to dramatic action” so far up the critics rear end with a straw that you’re going to be seeing that in Prestige TV trying to make a name for itself forever

Edgar Wright has been doing this for yeeeeears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tVH7BPb-Q

Tarantino too.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

London Calling is a perfectly appropriate song for a fight what are y’all talking about

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Also please give Scorsese the respect he deserves smdh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6fbGBYi84

Starks fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 18, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kubrick did it to Singing in the Rain in Clockwork Orange

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Starks posted:

London Calling is a perfectly appropriate song for a fight what are y’all talking about

Someone in production has a mad-on for the Clash, for sure.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

The London Calling scene is great and I will hear nothing to the contrary

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

No no, Guardians of the Galaxy invented it. Any attempt to use pop culture music to action is quite obviously a rip off of completely original movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jedit posted:

Someone in production has a mad-on for the Clash, for sure.

As everyone should.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You guys realize “big moments scored to classic rock” is a known “thing” about Eric Kripke’s work, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrldRAp5JY

He’s no Scorsese but he does it really well. I’m not even a fan of Supernatural. I don’t have the first clue about the context of that scene and I still get chills watching it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

No, they're all just ripping off of Naruto AMVs.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Plan Z posted:

No, they're all just ripping off of Naruto AMVs.
All of prestige modern television is just ripping off Naruto AMVs when you really get down to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Iirc that was the first time that the brothers found out there was an actual FBI agent on their tail to take em in.

That's why Dean has the "We are so screwed" line.