Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz2k21 posted:

I sent over £10 so whatever that translates into, I'm not on the discord as im on GMT and i figure it wouldn't be very active when I'm awake but hopefully he's got his target

We're getting there.

E:

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Whoever said that the text of Us falls apart 2/3rds of the way through but the subtext stays strong throughout is completely right. Watched it again before I have to return it to coworker movie swap tomorrow.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When/why does the text fall apart? If you, for whatever reason, want to read it as a relatively straight-ahead slasher, it works fine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Untrustable posted:

Whoever said that the text of Us falls apart 2/3rds of the way through but the subtext stays strong throughout is completely right. Watched it again before I have to return it to coworker movie swap tomorrow.

I actually think I feel the exact opposite way: as a straight forward scary movie Us is strong throughout, but the metaphors and subtext get a bit blurred near the end.

Still a great movie either way though.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Finished watching The Visit. Solid flick, didn't blow me away, somewhere between a 6 or a 7. I guess if you're not into scary movies you'd get more mileage out of it, but the kids sort of killed a lot of momentum it had for me.

I kept thinking the younger brother looks like a young Saul Goodman.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

So I apologize for making someone's personal problems public like this, but old school goon, cancer rear end-kicker and Horror Discord regular Timby is facing eviction in the coming week if he doesn't get 915 US dollars. The discord's been very generous and has already raised over half the money he needs, but I figure some of y'all who only post on this dead comedy forum might want to contribute as well.

$20 sent <3 with love

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Never thought I’d see Lady in the Water defenders

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thinking abput action-horror (ALIENS) and sci-fi horror (Terminator); why isnt there Romantic Horror? Warm Bodies is the only one I can think of, but that's silly because statistically more women see horror movies than men.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there's plenty of horror movies with a romance plot or an erotic element, but if you steer too much towards it you probably just start to move towards "romance" territory and away from horror.

Like last night I was watching the trailer for Amanda Seyfriend's Red Riding Hood from the same director as Twilight. And the next "romantic horror" I can think of is something like Blood & Chocolate. They seem to just gun more for the YA/harlequin novel direction than the horror one.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
There are lots of horror movies with romance, but not many that I'd consider to have a happy ending.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

have u never seen Nekromantik?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Return of the Living Dead part 3 is very romantic.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Where are we putting all the vampire movies that rotate on wooing a lover

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

Thinking abput action-horror (ALIENS) and sci-fi horror (Terminator); why isnt there Romantic Horror? Warm Bodies is the only one I can think of, but that's silly because statistically more women see horror movies than men.

Can we count, My Boyfriend's Back? If so that one also has a happy ending.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Romance horror is commonplace but "romance horror" is not a sub genre in the wider lexicon of horror fiction chat because "gothic romance" already exists and neatly covers all the bases.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Shrecknet posted:

There's Spring

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Drag Me to Hell counts I think.

DarkSun6890
Sep 16, 2005
The Magic Turkey Sandwich Box and I
I just recently had hand surgery. I decided to watch rear window last night, and enjoyed relating to the character. I’m looking for recommendations related to surgery, recovery, casts, injury, medical. Something like “Misery”, or “Awake”.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Dead Ringers. The Skin I Live In.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hellraiser

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lurdiak posted:

So I apologize for making someone's personal problems public like this, but old school goon, cancer rear end-kicker and Horror Discord regular Timby is facing eviction in the coming week if he doesn't get 915 US dollars. The discord's been very generous and has already raised over half the money he needs, but I figure some of y'all who only post on this dead comedy forum might want to contribute as well.

His paypal is tbrechlin "at" G-mail. Do let me know if you donate so I can update the gaudy donation meter. Even 5 bucks can make a difference. If you're just broke and can't help at all, don't feel bad, the point is to prevent misery here, not spread it around.

We saved Timby!!! Feel free to keep donating. I'm really proud of you all.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Possession is the most romantic horror of all. Midsommar is a great recent example too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

There's a short film included with Shudder called El Gigante and it's pretty dope, now I want more Lucha Libre horror films.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

sigher posted:

There's a short film included with Shudder called El Gigante and it's pretty dope, now I want more Lucha Libre horror films.

One of the less talked about Santo movies, Santo vs. the Diabolical Axe, is pretty unique in this department for what it tries to do compared to most of the other ones so you might get a kick out of it. Like most Santo movies I believe you can catch it on YouTube, though subtitle options are inconsistent on there so that can be a pain depending on what language you need.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Kvlt! posted:

The Skin I Live In.

Man I dunno

E: it does have a pretty notable offscreen castration though.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sigher posted:

That was so good it had me throw the book on my wishlist to pick up eventually.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

sponges posted:

Never thought I’d see Lady in the Water defenders

The Lady in the Water is dope. There's no stupid twist, the characters are fairly unique. I'm a sucker for urban fantasy settings but like never understood why it got so much hate. His cameo is annoying and the reviewer guy sucks but the rest is really fun.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rob Zombie directed an animated film in 2009 called The Haunted World of El Superbeasto.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Neo Rasa posted:

Rob Zombie directed an animated film in 2009 called The Haunted World of El Superbeasto.

Yeah and it sucks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gejimayu posted:

The Lady in the Water is dope. There's no stupid twist, the characters are fairly unique. I'm a sucker for urban fantasy settings but like never understood why it got so much hate. His cameo is annoying and the reviewer guy sucks but the rest is really fun.

The twist is M. Night is the most important writer in the world

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Null of Undefined posted:

Yeah and it sucks

I liked it. :shrug:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Null of Undefined posted:

Yeah and it sucks

So par for the course then.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Gejimayu posted:

It's an inane masturbatory circle jerk and the fantasy aspect of the film says nothing about anything. It serves no purpose other than a dopey platform to deride M. Knights detractors.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

DarkSun6890 posted:

I just recently had hand surgery. I decided to watch rear window last night, and enjoyed relating to the character. I’m looking for recommendations related to surgery, recovery, casts, injury, medical. Something like “Misery”, or “Awake”.

Excision has a memorable surgery scene. It's also pretty good in general.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gejimayu posted:

You're really out here batting for a flick that has multiple characters say the word "scrunt" with lethal sincerity

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Gejimayu posted:

I'll go to bat for the guy only working out one side of his body, because that's so weird and stupid it's amazing but Lady In The Water was turbo boring. Saw it back to back with Clerks 2. One of the worst movie days of my life.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

CelticPredator posted:

The twist is M. Night is the most important writer in the world

I remember it hitting me less as "how dare my critics question me!" and more "I'm just trying to tell a story, chill out about trying to guess the ending." Like it's asking the viewer to try to enjoy the ride and also a reaction to the backlash that The Village got.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Shrecknet posted:

Most vampire stories are about sex and/or romance. There are dozens (if not hundreds) of worthwhile examples. I'm particularly fond of Thirst.

There's also stuff like Spring and Nina Forever kicking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ooh thirst is a good one