Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Extremely strong entry in the "completely unhelpful but technically correct" genre of posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

Extremely strong entry in the "completely unhelpful but technically correct" genre of posts

It's not, though? There's a million good counters to Sleeveless's "lol people shat on the Switch too so I'm sure Stadia will be a 'flop' :rolleyes:" argument, but "1 game exclusive to the system boosted hype" kind of falls flat if that game isn't exclusive. Nobody who owned a WiiU (lol) bought a Switch specifically for BOTW.

VVVV yeah lol it's extremely obvious that all the Sheikah Slate stuff was designed specifically for the WiiU controller

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jul 10, 2019

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
In fact it’s thanks to the switch that they yanked out all the potentially good and useful Wii U controller poo poo. If anything launching alongside the switch harmed the game itself

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nobody owns or has ever owned a Wii U so it's effectively exlusive

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

As the person who owns a WiiU, BotW would have been sooo much better with full gamepad integration.

It didn't have it so I bought it on Switch.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nobody who owned a WiiU (lol) bought a Switch specifically for BOTW.

Andrast posted:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Frohike999 posted:

I really get why it doesn't make sense for people that game a lot, but to me the tech is interesting enough that I'd like to try it out. I really don't get why people feel so strongly about this one way or the other.

Because of this:

Tired Moritz posted:

Because we hate the rich

To elaborate, there's a very viscerally negative response to the Stadia and a gleeful desire to see it crash and burn for a lot of reasons, but a big one is that the big name video game industry is in an atrociously terrible place now with regards to rampant, unchecked capitalism. On the miraculous off-chance Stadia doesn't join the Google Graveyard, it represents another crack in the wall of any form of consumer power or control over the end product that the notoriously horrible AAA game companies will notice and try to exploit as ruthlessly as they possibly can, just like they've ruthlessly exploited every other anti-customer trend the industry has scented like vultures around carrion.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frohike999
Oct 23, 2003

Kanos posted:

Because of this:

To elaborate, there's a very viscerally negative response to the Stadia and a gleeful desire to see it crash and burn for a lot of reasons, but a big one is that the big name video game industry is in an atrociously terrible place now with regards to rampant, unchecked capitalism. On the miraculous off-chance Stadia doesn't join the Google Graveyard, it represents another crack in the wall of any form of consumer power or control over the end product that the notoriously horrible AAA game companies will notice and try to exploit as ruthlessly as they possibly can, just like they've ruthlessly exploited every other anti-customer trend the industry has scented like vultures around carrion.

Fair enough, I don't really buy into the need for physical ownership of a game but I get it. I guess I currently play mostly budget/indie games currently anyway despite how AAA game companies are right now, so I'm guessing that's not going to change for me. If those same games don't come to Stadia because Google has a deal with the big game companies I'll likely get bored of it anyway.

Thanks for actually giving a reasonable response here.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Frohike999 posted:

Fair enough, I don't really buy into the need for physical ownership of a game but I get it. I guess I currently play mostly budget/indie games currently anyway despite how AAA game companies are right now, so I'm guessing that's not going to change for me. If those same games don't come to Stadia because Google has a deal with the big game companies I'll likely get bored of it anyway.

Thanks for actually giving a reasonable response here.

Budget/indie games are also affected by this sort of thing, but maybe not in the same way as larger devs. With AAA games, the question of ownership involves, like Kanos said, consumer control and consumer power. With smaller titles, the decline of physical ownership means that, for any number of realistic reasons (studio shuts down/bankrupt, licenses expire, etc.), a game might be pulled from digital distribution, and then it's gone forever. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is a good example, that game was a lot of fun and if you didn't buy it before it was delisted, you're out of luck. Not to mention if your PSN/XBL account ever got compromised or locked or anything, your purchase of the game would be gone forever too.

Also, to keep Scott Pilgrim as an example - if you bought it before it was delisted, you can still play it. However, Stadia's market plan is restrictive enough that I don't think it would be impossible to see Sony or MS or Valve tighten their grip and declare "actually even if you bought the game you can't play it anymore" somehow. All-digital distribution just makes it way, way too easy for people other than yourself to decide how/when/where you can use the software you legally own.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also, to keep Scott Pilgrim as an example - if you bought it before it was delisted, you can still play it. However, Stadia's market plan is restrictive enough that I don't think it would be impossible to see Sony or MS or Valve tighten their grip and declare "actually even if you bought the game you can't play it anymore" somehow. All-digital distribution just makes it way, way too easy for people other than yourself to decide how/when/where you can use the software you legally own.

So far I haven't felt too horrible about this, but partially because so far I have unlimited access to all the (digital) titles I've ever paid for - if (or when) that changes, I may get miffed. Who knows, maybe Valve will start requiring a separate subscription to get that unlimited access, and free accounts are saddled with a download cap... But crap service means that customers go elsewhere, and I'm pretty certain that there's not a shortage of companies willing to provide something more worthwhile.

Or not.

Maybe I'll stick to tabletop rpgs.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

However, Stadia's market plan is restrictive enough that I don't think it would be impossible to see Sony or MS or Valve tighten their grip and declare "actually even if you bought the game you can't play it anymore" somehow. All-digital distribution just makes it way, way too easy for people other than yourself to decide how/when/where you can use the software you legally own.
For a really recent example of this, Microsoft just took down all their books. If you bought anything from their ebook library or their ebookstore, you don't have it any more. It's not a case of "oh but you can have it without DRM" - it's just gone.

They issued refunds to people who requested them, but they weren't mandated to do that. This could easily happen with Stadia.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Whalley posted:

For a really recent example of this, Microsoft just took down all their books. If you bought anything from their ebook library or their ebookstore, you don't have it any more. It's not a case of "oh but you can have it without DRM" - it's just gone.

They issued refunds to people who requested them, but they weren't mandated to do that. This could easily happen with Stadia.

That will happen with Stadia, and on a much shorter timescale than we currently see digital download shops closing down. Services like the Wii Shop Channel stayed up for years after the system was no longer on sale in part because digital download storefronts are not that expensive to maintain. Streaming services are considerably more expensive to maintain, so the financial incentive to delist games or close down services will be much greater than on a digital download storefront. The inflection point at which the cost to maintain the servers for a game is greater than the revenue being made from game sales is going to come much, much earlier for a streaming service than for a download service.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Andrast posted:

I still own a Wii U

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I still own a Wii U

I guess you are a nobody then

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Blotto_Otter posted:

That will happen with Stadia, and on a much shorter timescale than we currently see digital download shops closing down. Services like the Wii Shop Channel stayed up for years after the system was no longer on sale in part because digital download storefronts are not that expensive to maintain. Streaming services are considerably more expensive to maintain, so the financial incentive to delist games or close down services will be much greater than on a digital download storefront. The inflection point at which the cost to maintain the servers for a game is greater than the revenue being made from game sales is going to come much, much earlier for a streaming service than for a download service.

The difference is that the Wii Shop still lets you access and download content you already paid for before it closed. In Microsoft's case, even books you already have in your device's local storage will no longer work, due to the DRM. Stadia could go either way and it would be a huge difference.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender
what if stadia has a secret purpose? we all get inexpensive high def gaming for a few years and then a fully trained deepmind starts taking everyone out with sick headshots and qte knife kills.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

The difference is that the Wii Shop still lets you access and download content you already paid for before it closed. In Microsoft's case, even books you already have in your device's local storage will no longer work, due to the DRM. Stadia could go either way and it would be a huge difference.

Uh stadia streaming implicitly means theres no local copy so i dont know what you think you could possibly own.

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

what if stadia has a secret purpose? we all get inexpensive high def gaming for a few years and then a fully trained deepmind starts taking everyone out with sick headshots and qte knife kills.

the war starts when deepmind interprets the Burj Khalifa as a manner pylon in its resource line. while a hundred perfectly microd Chrysler Pacificas hold off the world's greatest generals, sergey brins megablimp spells out a cryptic message in the sky: "gg nextmap"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The deepmid would be flicked because it's used to everything being delayed because of latency

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

Uh stadia streaming implicitly means theres no local copy so i dont know what you think you could possibly own.

Yes, that's a pretty concise explanation for why people are annoyed.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Poogle lovely rear end

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sandepande posted:

So far I haven't felt too horrible about this, but partially because so far I have unlimited access to all the (digital) titles I've ever paid for - if (or when) that changes, I may get miffed. Who knows, maybe Valve will start requiring a separate subscription to get that unlimited access, and free accounts are saddled with a download cap... But crap service means that customers go elsewhere, and I'm pretty certain that there's not a shortage of companies willing to provide something more worthwhile.

Or not.

Maybe I'll stick to tabletop rpgs.

Unfortunately, the idealistic operation of the free market - where someone offering garbage services or products is ousted by someone offering a better one - doesn't actually work at all in most cases in real life due to the realities of entrenched capital, monopolization, and the sheer levels of investment competition in some of these fields take to even get off the ground. If Stadia somehow takes over gaming and everyone falls over themselves to sign deals with Google to make money and consolidates Stadia's position and power in the market, Plucky Startup B isn't going to come out with a viable alternative because Google has infinite resources and connections in place to simply swat any potential competition with no effort. For an extra fun real-life example of this in real-life action, read about what happens whenever anyone tries to compete with entrenched telecom companies in the U.S. - either they get priced out of the market by entrenched interests or the telecom monopolies use their wealth and power to motivate legislatures and courts to stamp out the nuisance.

Also, even if competition manages to come into being as a response to lovely practices and service in an entrenched market, the new competition typically isn't free of its own problems(because it likely had to do some lovely stuff to get to the point of being able to compete in that market in the first place!) and almost never ends up pulling the window back to the not-lovely place it was at before. See the practice of console companies charging for their online multiplayer; once it became en vogue, note that everyone jumped on the bandwagon because it was free money and now there's no alternative if you want to play multiplayer video games on a console. Some of the services may offer add-ons to the subscription that make it more palatable(PSN+ games, XBox game pass, etc) but the point remains that you're now being charged for a fundamental function of your console that used to be free and since everyone is now doing it it's never going back to being free because there's no incentive.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Kanos posted:

Unfortunately, the idealistic operation of the free market - where someone offering garbage services or products is ousted by someone offering a better one - doesn't actually work at all in most cases in real life due to the realities of entrenched capital, monopolization, and the sheer levels of investment competition in some of these fields take to even get off the ground. If Stadia somehow takes over gaming and everyone falls over themselves to sign deals with Google to make money and consolidates Stadia's position and power in the market, Plucky Startup B isn't going to come out with a viable alternative because Google has infinite resources and connections in place to simply swat any potential competition with no effort. For an extra fun real-life example of this in real-life action, read about what happens whenever anyone tries to compete with entrenched telecom companies in the U.S. - either they get priced out of the market by entrenched interests or the telecom monopolies use their wealth and power to motivate legislatures and courts to stamp out the nuisance.

Also, even if competition manages to come into being as a response to lovely practices and service in an entrenched market, the new competition typically isn't free of its own problems(because it likely had to do some lovely stuff to get to the point of being able to compete in that market in the first place!) and almost never ends up pulling the window back to the not-lovely place it was at before. See the practice of console companies charging for their online multiplayer; once it became en vogue, note that everyone jumped on the bandwagon because it was free money and now there's no alternative if you want to play multiplayer video games on a console. Some of the services may offer add-ons to the subscription that make it more palatable(PSN+ games, XBox game pass, etc) but the point remains that you're now being charged for a fundamental function of your console that used to be free and since everyone is now doing it it's never going back to being free because there's no incentive.

If Google fucks up the pricing, licensing and/or availability, it won't survive for long, and others (Microsoft, Amazon possibly) might try to learn from that. I have some naïvete left - look at Steam; many people thought it was crap, and now folks won't play games that aren't released there.

Should Stadia fail, it hasn't taken anything down with it. I seriously doubt it becomes super-popular unless it can offer something better than what we've got now.

As far as entrenched companies go, well, that stuff is up to the legislators, and you're right, that part doesn't look very good.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Whatever happened to the games people owned on OnLive after it shut down? Same thing right, just gone forever?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

OxMan posted:

Whatever happened to the games people owned on OnLive after it shut down? Same thing right, just gone forever?

OnLive never promised that you'd own the games forever, even the full price games were a multi-year rental.

Which was a really poo poo deal, but hey at least they were honest that your games were going to evaporate.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Don't worry about losing your games guys, Stadia's director has it all well in hand:

quote:

During a Reddit AMA today, Stadia's director of product, Andrey Doronichev, said this is a question that the team gets a lot. And he understands how people might be afraid to move to the cloud.

"I hear you. Moving to the cloud is scary," he said. "I felt the same way when music was transitioning from files to streaming. I still have all my old CDs in the garage… although it's hard to find a CD player these days :)"

Doronichev went on to say that movies, photos, and documents have all generally moved to the cloud, and that has generally gone well. The same can be true for games, he said.

"The same happened to Movies and Photos and my Docs and other files… And it’s great! Games are no different. Eventually all of our games will be safely in the cloud too and we'll feel great about it," Doronichev said. "We've been investing a ton in tech, infrastructure and partnerships over the past few years. Nothing in life is certain, but we’re committed to making Stadia a success."

Doronichev added that Google Stadia will support the "Takeout" feature from day one. This allows players to download the metadata of their games, including game saves. However, games themselves cannot be downloaded, so if Stadia shuts down, players may not be able to access their games.

"Of course, it’s OK to doubt my words," Doronichev said. "There's nothing I can say now to make you believe if you don't. But what we can do is to launch the service and continue investing in it for years to come. Exactly how we've been doing with gMail, Docs, Music, Movies and Photos. That’s exactly what we’re committed to."

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Yeah, it's ok guys, everything else went to the cloud, just like your Google+ and Allo!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

He compares it to movies and music in the cloud, ie netflix and spotify, but then:

quote:

To be clear, Stadia Pro is not “Netflix for Games” like some people have mentioned

The economic argument for Stadia is pretty much that their fees are a replacement for the hardware cost of a console or PC. It works for that assumption, but that's a bad assumption for the main "gamer" audience. A lot of people have more than one device already and probably aren't about to change that, so a streaming option would be a supplement not a replacement. As a supplement it's a pretty bad deal even when you ignore the shut down issue.

Also the voting in that reddit ama looks fake as hell. 2k upvotes on the main thread, 100-200 on the questions he wants to answer, the answer, and a positive response to the answer. Single digits on everything else including negative feedback.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1158754601543319561

Can't wait to find out that, after several months of additional consideration and development, Stadia's business plan still doesn't make a lick of sense

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Woah I thought they cancelled this thing

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Fallom posted:

Woah I thought they cancelled this thing

No, they're just going to shortly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

https://twitter.com/GoogleStadia/status/1158754601543319561

Can't wait to find out that, after several months of additional consideration and development, Stadia's business plan still doesn't make a lick of sense

The new Stadia pricing model now has a free option to the service and all games as long as you have a DV360 amount that does over 1 million USD a month in ad volume.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1163503306871726086

:munch:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1163499214417956864

lol rip that game

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1163504439921119233

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol that presentation

This thing will probably be dead in a year.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Assuming it works perfectly with no lag and great streaming fidelity (which will never ever happen), it's still not even that great of a deal compared to almost everything else. It's such a mess.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Why does this exist again?

Not even being snarky, months and months of information and I'm still not sure what it is Google is actually selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Why does this exist again?

Not even being snarky, months and months of information and I'm still not sure what it is Google is actually selling.

google wants to be the netflix of games