Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Orphans living with an evil uncle sounds like A Series of Unfortunate Events

Funny how that's such a common setup! But yeah, those started a few years after I read this book in 96-7 (I'm 100% sure of the year because I remember that a certain teacher had it on her bookshelf in the classroom)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garfield
Jun 25, 2019

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Kingdom: The Far Reaches - PC adventure game with crystal tigers. Looks like a loving Dragon's Lair ripoff.

You're welcome. :v:

Also, I'm fairly convinced that the tankard game is Discworld (1995), but I could be wrong... The people are very flat 2D cartoons, but the backgrounds look a little better than, say, OG Monkey Island

That first one is perfect, it’s definitely Kingdom: The Far Reaches thank you!

Second one is not a match unfortunately, it’s not Discworld as far as I can tell.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Funny how that's such a common setup! But yeah, those started a few years after I read this book in 96-7 (I'm 100% sure of the year because I remember that a certain teacher had it on her bookshelf in the classroom)

It's a variant on Cinderella really, and that story has been told in endless permutations for hundreds of years.

CarpenterWalrus
Mar 30, 2010

The Lazy Satanist

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

I got another one for you goons:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaars ago, when I was probably closer to 10,11,12 years old (so somewhere in '97, '98 or '99) and my mom and I had black box cable and on one of the big "this isnt tv its (huffs farts)" movie channels there was some cartoon on that was like some furry poo poo with anthro characters (not just talking animals) and I remember it was so loving weird because it was trying to be extremely serious and dramatic while using chip n dale looking goofy-rear end characters.

I remember some male character was dying in a female characters arms and it was supposed to be very sad but all it did was confuse the hell out of me and it was so loving weird that I remember only that scene and nothing else. Oh Extra detail, it was like set on a ship or something so think of Colonial american times or British times or whatever the gently caress.

This mightve been Stars or HBO or Cinemax even idk wtf but all those channels were clustered together, so who knows !

It's either Watership Down or the animated Redwall series.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

where the gently caress did the music in this video come from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtYG-ljKjFE

my bro do you even shazam?

Lindy Hopscotch
Mar 30, 2010

You know the story about the scorpion and the frog?

CarpenterWalrus posted:

It's either Watership Down or the animated Redwall series.

Thanks for these, I've seen and love Watership Down, and I *think* Redwall might be it ... but I'm not entirely sure. I looked it up in Google images and it does have a tearful looking part with some mouse dying in anothers arms, but not the setting or exact characters I remember.

The style i remember was also way more cutesy than this, somehow. And I remember the dying rodent anthro thing was wearing an officers coat from like the 1700s.

I've just no idea !

ozebane
Nov 4, 2009

Lindy Hopscotch posted:

Thanks for these, I've seen and love Watership Down, and I *think* Redwall might be it ... but I'm not entirely sure. I looked it up in Google images and it does have a tearful looking part with some mouse dying in anothers arms, but not the setting or exact characters I remember.

The style i remember was also way more cutesy than this, somehow. And I remember the dying rodent anthro thing was wearing an officers coat from like the 1700s.

I've just no idea !

Noah's Island?

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.
As a kid, we had this VHS of a kids educational special about volcanoes and geology. It was an alien team/family/couple that flew their spaceship to places like Hawaii and Iceland to talk about the different kinds of lava and the geysers and stuff. A few years ago while searching I came upon a post on reddit searching for the same thing. I think it was National Geographic, but I cant find in in any evidence of it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Been looking for a video for a fake product called "Spoodles". It was on Youtube so long ago my friends and I were still using MSN Messenger. I had even drawn a doodle of the stuff the people in the video said "Spoodles" were good for:

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
a woman, honestly

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Batterypowered7 posted:

An old Youtube video of some dude playing Street Fighter against Chun-Li. Every time he'd get hit he'd say some variation of "Bitch! Bitch! Oh bitch! Cheatin' rear end ho! Bitch rear end bitch!"

BITCH EAT THAT HO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pvxTwoxfY

Got another (really embarrassing) one: years ago (early 2000's) I saw a Gundam model on display. I forget the scale, though I do recall it was a larger box (1/100?). Where I get lost when trying to google it, is that I'm 99% sure it was mostly green/white with a giant gatling gun-looking thing on its shoulder. I do know that it wasn't Heavy Arms (at least the red/blue versions), nor one of those gas mask-headed ones. If it helps, this was in the Galleria by the Harbor in Baltimore: there was a Babbage's/Software Etc. inside prior to the EB buy-out/re-branding.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pulchritudinous posted:

BITCH EAT THAT HO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1pvxTwoxfY

Got another (really embarrassing) one: years ago (early 2000's) I saw a Gundam model on display. I forget the scale, though I do recall it was a larger box (1/100?). Where I get lost when trying to google it, is that I'm 99% sure it was mostly green/white with a giant gatling gun-looking thing on its shoulder. I do know that it wasn't Heavy Arms (at least the red/blue versions), nor one of those gas mask-headed ones. If it helps, this was in the Galleria by the Harbor in Baltimore: there was a Babbage's/Software Etc. inside prior to the EB buy-out/re-branding.

Could it have been the Endless Waltz version of Heavy Arms? That one had kind of a greenish-bluish color with white.

Gundam H-Arms Custom

E: Also, thank you for finding the video!

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's a certain smell that I experienced in my youth, and I sometimes dream about it. It's the perfume my first girlfriend used to wear. In truth, I don't know whether it's even that specific smell per se; maybe I'm reconstructing an imperfect copy of an imperfectly stored memory and what I'm remembering never actually existed, if that makes sense.

Every once in a while, maybe once a year or less, I'll pass someone and for one second, smell something that's vaguely similar, albeit not quite. It'll feel like a punch to the gut. What I see in front of me is drowned out by a vision of the flowers in front of the house where I used to live, the sensation of taking someone's hand, sunshine on skin, a strange mixture of anxiety and expectation, and then in a heartbeat, I'm thrown out of it again.

Like the smell, I don't know whether that even existed that way. But it's a moment a piece of me desperately wants relive, maybe just to understand what it actually all meant.

Man, I sure know where you're coming from. For me, it was her hand lotion. I think it was something like Skin So Soft, but I'm not looking to find the answer. If it was early 90's, dollars to donuts the perfume was Exclamation. E: oops, sorry, I didn't see that Thots and Prayers already mentioned Exclamation.

I am going to get greedy with the white whale list:

1) Video game for Commodore 64, late '80s-early 90s. Top-down, post apocalyptic setting. I know for sure you drive a car, I am not sure if you can get out and walk. Defining feature in my mind is that you collected cans of slu.

2) Elementary school alphabet aid, where the letters were anthropomorphized. I am drawing a complete blank on any of their names, but I think S was Mr. Shoe. I want to say he wore wingtips.

3) I don't even expect an answer for this one, but here goes: song from the early '90s, probably '92-'93, relatively generic alternative, slower-paced with jangly guitars, with part of the lyrics being "and there's no way of knowing..."

wankel13b fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 20, 2019

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

wankel13b posted:

2) Elementary school alphabet aid, where the letters were anthropomorphized. I am drawing a complete blank on any of their names, but I think S was Mr. Shoe. I want to say he wore wingtips.

This sounds like The Letter People.

Mr. S had super socks, which might be what you're remembering.

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak

Dell_Zincht posted:

Isn't this Colony Wars? It was published by Psygnosis and came on 2 discs.

EDIT - Or G-Police, also by Psygnosis and which came on 2 discs.

MUST BUY DIESEL JEANS

G-Police was the first game I remember that had real-world ads in it (billboards for Diesel jeans). I also remembering it being so difficult that I called up Psygnosis and bought a strategy guide from them. It was neat in that they sent stickers for a few games (Psychonauts being one, I think) but the strategy guide amounted to "You suck really bad. Stop sucking so bad."

Pulchritudinous
May 19, 2005
It means "to reduce by one-tenth."

Batterypowered7 posted:

Could it have been the Endless Waltz version of Heavy Arms? That one had kind of a greenish-bluish color with white.

Gundam H-Arms Custom

E: Also, thank you for finding the video!

Happy to help!

Re: the model, it turns out I am an idiot and just needed to use super broad search terms. Your suggestion prompted me to use "gundam big shoulder gun" rather than "gatling gun" (which returns nothing but Heavy Arms). It turns out I was thinking of Gundam Leopard. Box art was different than I remember, but the gun and color palette was the same. Thanks for tacking a crack at it!

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
Pastry of the Year, that absolutely is it. I am extremely grateful.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

wankel13b posted:

1) Video game for Commodore 64, late '80s-early 90s. Top-down, post apocalyptic setting. I know for sure you drive a car, I am not sure if you can get out and walk. Defining feature in my mind is that you collected cans of slu.

5th Gear by Hewson?

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

wankel13b posted:

Road Raider Slu was the Soylent food the big bad had everyone was addicted to. I had it on the Amiga but it seems there was a C64 version too.

wankel13b posted:

3) I don't even expect an answer for this one, but here goes: song from the early '90s, probably '92-'93, relatively generic alternative, slower-paced with jangly guitars, with part of the lyrics being "and there's no way of knowing..."

Bryan Ferry's More than this was the first thing to spring to mind when I saw those lyrics.

I thought there had been a cover of this during the time period you mentioned, but my old man memory is playing tricks and it was actually late 90s, so probably the wrong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjmbSXTsCpo

edit: fixed Amiga-only link

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 20, 2019

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

BMX Ninja posted:

Check your PMs. I don't have his discography, but I found an old folder with Cum Drenched Tits, Destination Dirtpipe, Teenage Anal Addicts and Squirt In My Gape Part 2 among others.

Sadly Part 1 is missing.

What the gently caress

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Dregs posted:

What the gently caress

I know! I'm not even sure if there was a part one, or whether the title was an artistic choice like how A New Hope was released as Episode IV.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

This was the game I had in mind at first before I found the right one. I think I got 5th Gear on a covertape from Zzap! magazine in the UK and I played it to death.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BMX Ninja posted:

This was the game I had in mind at first before I found the right one. I think I got 5th Gear on a covertape from Zzap! magazine in the UK and I played it to death.

I loved 5th Gear. Awesome title music, too.

I was a Commodore Format kid, though.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Dell_Zincht posted:

I loved 5th Gear. Awesome title music, too.

I was a Commodore Format kid, though.

I catalogued all the C64 tapes I had rotting away in my parents' attic a while back, and yeah it was a Commodore Format covertape, not Zzap!. CF Powerpack No.7 that also had Uridium, Crystal Castles and Blue Max.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Probably 1990, maybe 1991. Computer music demo. Probably an Amiga (maybe an Atari ST). Hardcore electronic dance music, probably,

All I remember were the visuals, which were a rapidly flashing coloured background cycling through colours while different images flashed up. The one image I clearly remember was a black silhouette of a soldier on one knee, holding a long rifle up to his shoulder.

I wouldn't call it a white whale, but occasionally I wonder what the hell it was.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's a certain smell that I experienced in my youth, and I sometimes dream about it. It's the perfume my first girlfriend used to wear. In truth, I don't know whether it's even that specific smell per se; maybe I'm reconstructing an imperfect copy of an imperfectly stored memory and what I'm remembering never actually existed, if that makes sense.

There was this girl that I was friends with benefits with. She loved Bath & Body works and everything she owned was one scent. It was called like Midnight Forest or something like that. To this day I can't smell it without thinking about her which is really awkward when your wife gets the same scented shampoo :-D

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

wankel13b posted:

Man, I sure know where you're coming from. For me, it was her hand lotion. I think it was something like Skin So Soft, but I'm not looking to find the answer. If it was early 90's, dollars to donuts the perfume was Exclamation. E: oops, sorry, I didn't see that Thots and Prayers already mentioned Exclamation.

I am going to get greedy with the white whale list:

For 3 (sorry phone posting) could it be Matthew Sweet Sick of Myself? The refrain often ends on "maybe you don't know".

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I remember one scene from a movie when I was a kid.

It was an action movie (and possibly comedy) where a dude swings on a rope and gets shot at a bunch...

But the bullets are all stopped by the bed pan he has under his shirt.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

TheBizzness posted:

It was an action movie (and possibly comedy) where a dude swings on a rope and gets shot at a bunch...

The movie "Remo Williams" came up when I searched for bedpan, but it was because the character gets named after a brand of bedpan, not because he stops bullets with it in one scene.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I tried googling it too before I hit post just to make sure it wasn’t some classic movie I just hadn’t seen since, but I got no real results.

It was all hits for bullet proof clothing.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

TheBizzness posted:

When were you a kid? Shoot ‘Em Up (2007) has a shitton of gunfights. It’s been a long time since I watched it so I can’t say that exact scene is in there, but it’s the first thing that popped into my head based on your description.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
This has to have been 25-30 years ago. I remember seeing it at my babysitters house so I had to be sub-10 years old.

Honestly it might not have even been a bed pan. Just ignore me.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
An older song that goes "yippy ai oh ai eyyy" like the letters I O I A, trading back and forth with a main singer. I think that it may have been the exact same thing just from a deep voice. "YIPPY AI OH AI EYY" "yippy ai oh ai eyyy"

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
My roommate reminded me of one I'd forgotten about.

Must've been 10-15 years ago, a music video(?) of a dude in a shirt and tie yelling "I GOTTA TAKE A poo poo" while banging on an occupied bathroom door. There were other lyrics, but I can't remember them.

Iirc there was a "story" of sorts, something about needing to make it to a bathroom in time, so probably variations of that theme.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

BMX Ninja posted:

I know! I'm not even sure if there was a part one, or whether the title was an artistic choice like how A New Hope was released as Episode IV.

That was all added after the fact. It was just called "Star Wars" until the sequels started coming out.

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.

Slothful Bong posted:

My roommate reminded me of one I'd forgotten about.

Must've been 10-15 years ago, a music video(?) of a dude in a shirt and tie yelling "I GOTTA TAKE A poo poo" while banging on an occupied bathroom door. There were other lyrics, but I can't remember them.

Iirc there was a "story" of sorts, something about needing to make it to a bathroom in time, so probably variations of that theme.

That's likely this, it rules :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2ZFxF0cx-E

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Quabzor posted:

As a kid, we had this VHS of a kids educational special about volcanoes and geology. It was an alien team/family/couple that flew their spaceship to places like Hawaii and Iceland to talk about the different kinds of lava and the geysers and stuff. A few years ago while searching I came upon a post on reddit searching for the same thing. I think it was National Geographic, but I cant find in in any evidence of it.

I found it looking through National Geographic VHSes for sale on ebay and found their shark special. DVD copy has been ordered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4wUTiSnNig

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

thedangergroove posted:

That's likely this, it rules :

Haha holy gently caress, that's it! Many thanks!

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

wankel13b posted:

If you’re Canadian this is almost certainly the Gandharvas - First day of spring https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KalQfUBA1VM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
BMX Ninja- Road Raider is absolutely the game. Apparently it was also known as Motor Massacre. It is available on an abandonware site. Your help is much appreciated.

LL_Ghoul_J- :monocle: Gandarvas' First Day Of Spring is correct. It's interesting what you said about being Canadian, because while I am not, I was living in the Detroit area, and the radio station it was playing on was 89X out of Windsor. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Thanks also to Dell_Zincht and Scaramouche and anyone else who took the time and effort to help. :tipshat:

Since I haven't been able to find answers for anyone else, I am going to pretend that someone asked what the kid's show with people and puppets and based out of Detroit was. The answer is Hot Fudge https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E94e7Cf6F1g