Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

FuturePastNow posted:

guy who makes demorecord videos

He got good enough at it that Cryptic gives him slightly early access to new ships and basically uses his videos for advertising. He says he does this for free, which seems like kind of a self-own to me because they're certainly making money off it. :capitalism:

E: I'm gonna edit this part out since this isn't a paywalled forum but yeah

Perhaps there’s some correlation between doing free marketing for a company selling predatory gambling products and receiving a shitload of abuse. If only the person involved had some way of avoiding that risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Can I get an invite to the channel? My Arc username is zata5665#4642.

Also question: is it worth it to promote my bridge officers at low levels (I just hit 10 and got my new ship) and I had to buy an engineer to fill my slots. Should I promote everyone to Lieutenant?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Humerus posted:

Can I get an invite to the channel? My Arc username is zata5665#4642.

Also question: is it worth it to promote my bridge officers at low levels (I just hit 10 and got my new ship) and I had to buy an engineer to fill my slots. Should I promote everyone to Lieutenant?

Yep, promoting your bridge officers allows them to use the next tier of skills in addition to whatever they already have. It's all sorted by rank.

Don't worry your crew aren't paid anything anyway so it's not like their non-existent wages go up.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah I wasn't sure about the expertise cost because currently I have enough to promote all four of my officers but that won't leave much. I guess I won't need more for another ten levels though?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Expertise isn't a real cost, you'll be swimming in it soon enough

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Can someone give me an admiralty guide for dummies? Like, a general overview? Because I'm definitely confused and the wiki isn't helping me much with determining what's worth doing and how. Also, can I raise the stats of the ships that I can send, somehow, or no? How can I get more ships the easiest without spending real dosh?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ritznit posted:

Can someone give me an admiralty guide for dummies? Like, a general overview? Because I'm definitely confused and the wiki isn't helping me much with determining what's worth doing and how. Also, can I raise the stats of the ships that I can send, somehow, or no? How can I get more ships the easiest without spending real dosh?

Concentrate on the Klingon and Ferengi campaigns. Make sure to do both the Tour of Duty assignment (completing all 10 will get you 30k dilithium) and any assignment that rewards you with either dil or ec. Make sure to check the events on each assignment because some will give extra dil/ec on top of the normal rewards.

As for getting more ships:

- go to the Narendra system and talk to the U.S.S. Sally Ride to get a free card
- complete the mission "Time and Tide" from the Future Proof arc to get the U.S.S. Pastak
- complete all 10 Tour of Duty missions for a faction gets you a unique ship the first time
- reach level 65 and get the C.U.V. Tain
- buy your faction's ships from the ship vendor for dilithium

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016

Ritznit posted:

Basically, skip everything except the 24 hour Tour of Duty missions. Specifically the KDF and Ferengi ones that award 30,000 dilithium at the end.

Use your shuttles and low level ships to "skip" missions. This means send a single shuttle/low level ship on missions you want to get past, and do the shortest ones possible to free up the mission slot as quickly as possible.

No, you can't upgrade or increase the stats of the admiralty cards. They aren't really ships, they are just baseball cards.

After you get your KDF/Ferengi Tour of Duty missions slotted and have 24 hours to wait until they are done, do at least the first Tour of Duty mission for the Fed and Rom campaigns, because when completed they award 5 skip tokens each.

Do all of this with as many alts as possible.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If you're not a longtime player already working with a shitload of old event ships/c-store stuff the main thing is to just successfully do one "mission" for each campaign everyday to get the daily xp bonus. Once you've got the campaigns done you'll have 4 more good ships to work with. If a tour of duty mission is up make sure that's the one you send good ships at. Once you've got 4 missions running that aren't going to fail (need 100% success chance to guarantee this) just throw you're lovely ships you got leveling at anything with a high requirements to get them out of the way in any campaign that doesn't have a Tour of Duty mission up.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Thanks a bunch for the tips!

greasythepirate posted:

Do all of this with as many alts as possible.

Would I need to level all those alts to 50? Sounds tedious, I don't think I like the game enough to really "optimize" my play. Are the missions still worth it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ritznit posted:

Would I need to level all those alts to 50? Sounds tedious, I don't think I like the game enough to really "optimize" my play. Are the missions still worth it?

Get a few T6 ships via events. This will take you at least six months. Do it super casually.

Then make a boat load of jem hadar alts and claim those ships on that alt. Also use the dil lootcrate event ships.

NOte that this is all the poo poo you do as a burned out old STO fart who played the missions like a million years ago. RIght now, just play the story missions and have fun and if you finish those and are damaged enough to want to grind for spaceship pokemon then come back and ask how to set up a dill farm.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Also, don't do anymore missions from a faction while you're doing their tour of duty missions, it won't make another come up any faster.

there's also value in repeating the Romulan Republic tour of duty missions, since they give really good upgrade items that give lots of TP and cost no Dil to use, but save them for an upgrade weekend of course.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

Also, don't do anymore missions from a faction while you're doing their tour of duty missions, it won't make another come up any faster.

there's also value in repeating the Romulan Republic tour of duty missions, since they give really good upgrade items that give lots of TP and cost no Dil to use, but save them for an upgrade weekend of course.

It's a better return on your time just getting dil and spending it on phoenix packs than getting the Romulan upgrades. So dil should be top priority there. Like you're better off just doing the random ones that give dil than the romulan tours (once you've got the ship for hitting level 10 in the campaign).

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Ritznit posted:

There are special duty officer missions you can get from the exchange that get your characters up to 50+ super quickly. I used them on all of my toons for lazy leveling during the XP event and it takes about 5-6 of them to get over level 50. They run about 1.2m EC right now each. Do as many EC Admiralty missions as possible and if you're lucky you can get up to 300k EC per day on each toon. I got you on my friend's list in the game so I can help you out more if you have questions.

Rx King fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 17, 2019

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro
I just recently started the PC version since I never really gave the PS4 version a fair shake.
Loving it this time around so can I get an invite the the channel? My arc name is harosama#2018 and if there is an opening I'd love to join Starfleet Dental.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Humerus posted:

Yeah I wasn't sure about the expertise cost because currently I have enough to promote all four of my officers but that won't leave much. I guess I won't need more for another ten levels though?
You also need it to teach your boffs new skills if they came with garbage ones. Though leveling is easy enough that you could probably do it without activating any boff skills at all.

Expertise is in a really weird place. When you're leveling it's really easy to run out and have to grind for more, and trying to fill all the daily rep missions can eat up any excess you've built up while leveling. But once you've hit T5 in a couple of reps, you'll have more than you'll ever need and will never have to worry about it again.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Promoting your bridge officers is a weird ancient artifact from when they were figuring out mechanics, and there's zero reason not to promote them all immediately.

Honestly, expertise as a whole is an artifact that should be removed. (Why do I suspect removing it would be 'a script that sets your expertise to one billion every login and then we hide it from every screen')

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Alright, I know what to do with fleet marks (send them to projects in the fleet that might need them) but what do I do with the dozen other kinds of marks?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ritznit posted:

Alright, I know what to do with fleet marks (send them to projects in the fleet that might need them) but what do I do with the dozen other kinds of marks?

Feed them to the reputation grind https://sto.gamepedia.com/Reputation_System/Rewards

This will unlock nice things like traits, ground gear, space gear, special repuation specific shops and some vanity shields. Some of this gear is excellent. All costs a mix of marks, dilithium and some other crap.

The grind to get everything is vast now because it originally started with only 2 reputation grinds and they kept adding 1-2 per year until we got this current conglomerate. You'll do them all eventually but don't feel under pressure.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

DancingShade posted:

Feed them to the reputation grind https://sto.gamepedia.com/Reputation_System/Rewards

This will unlock nice things like traits, ground gear, space gear, special repuation specific shops and some vanity shields. Some of this gear is excellent. All costs a mix of marks, dilithium and some other crap.

The grind to get everything is vast now because it originally started with only 2 reputation grinds and they kept adding 1-2 per year until we got this current conglomerate. You'll do them all eventually but don't feel under pressure.

The most important ones for new players are borg (module + 360 beam), Iconian (deflector, shield, core), and wargames (engine), right? Those are all generally useful gear that can slot into any build

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
Start your nominating:

https://twitter.com/The_ZEFilms/status/1163155387836698630

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Can I get an invite to the Goon channel? My name is Saviik@zata5665#4642. Also access to the Wiki so I'm not making GBS threads up the thread with my basic questions?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Do all those Wesley Christmases qualify me as the giving type

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

The most important ones for new players are borg (module + 360 beam), Iconian (deflector, shield, core), and wargames (engine), right? Those are all generally useful gear that can slot into any build
The competitive shields are pretty good too I think, if partly for just getting the 2p bonus with the engines. I think the current ~meta~ for raw general damage use is a colony +crit deflector, a spire +power transfer warp core, and competitive engines/shields? The iconian set's still decent if you have it already though.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Here's a question: Is there anything useful I can do with the piles and piles of Commodities my KDF alt picked up while marauding for contraband?

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Hunter Noventa posted:

Here's a question: Is there anything useful I can do with the piles and piles of Commodities my KDF alt picked up while marauding for contraband?

Sell them to a vendor on Qo'noS. Using your replicator to sell them doesn't give you as much as a vendor would.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nobody cares

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

Hunter Noventa posted:

Everything but the contraband is garbage and should be liquidated at a vendor.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Hunter Noventa posted:

Sell the ones you don't need for EC to some NPC. If you're marauding you'll be constantly flooded in them so if you ever need some down the line just wait for some doff projects to finish.

Some of the original starbase development projects used large volumes but that was years ago.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

There are some dumb motherfuckers at the top of this company, that's all I can say

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1163511607198011393

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Translate 'technical challenges' to 'nobody left knows how it works or how not to break it'

Rx King
Mar 4, 2003

Some some idiot posted 10x Delta Alliance duty officer packs for 500k EC and 5x for 5,000 EC and I snatched that up real quick. That's over 50m EC someone just lost. It's been awhile since I caught someone making a mistake on a listing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

MikeJF posted:

Translate 'technical challenges' to 'nobody left knows how it works or how not to break it'

See also: the OSX client, doffing

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

FuturePastNow posted:

There are some dumb motherfuckers at the top of this company, that's all I can say

https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1163511607198011393
:downsbravo:

I like all the "I don't know what this is but I support the removal of it" in the thread they're linking to.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

See also: the OSX client, doffing

I'm impressed doffing still works considering the architect of that particular system left many years ago.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

At this point it mostly works by accident and inertia I'm pretty sure. When was the last time they even added new duty officers? Not that far back but it's still been a... while.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

They really haven't thought through the impact of the XMPP withdrawal. Its going to significantly reduce the level of activity/chat in major channels like NoP Public Service, RedditChat, etc: many of the most prominent and active long-term players in chat rely on it.

And the claims about gold sellers is such a preposterous lie it beggars belief. Hell, even Redditors are calling Kael out on it...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Asimo posted:

At this point it mostly works by accident and inertia I'm pretty sure. When was the last time they even added new duty officers? Not that far back but it's still been a... while.

I know they added a Gamma Doff pack, so at least then.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Tigey posted:

They really haven't thought through the impact of the XMPP withdrawal. Its going to significantly reduce the level of activity/chat in major channels like NoP Public Service, RedditChat, etc: many of the most prominent and active long-term players in chat rely on it.

And the claims about gold sellers is such a preposterous lie it beggars belief. Hell, even Redditors are calling Kael out on it...

I think this is going to cost them more in lost player activity than killing the Foundry did. It probably cost them a lot less to maintain, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the XMPP removal is being done for another reason. Perhaps they want to un-link STO and champions online so they can finally sunset the latter.